Drew Lock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by skeeter01 View Post

Good post. I do believe that those of us that are backing Lock, and there's not many, do realize that this is a make or break year.....As long as we give him the opportunity, that's all I'm asking for. I'm not against trading back in the draft this year to create ammo for a move up next year for a new young gun...or ammo for a proven vet, but only if Lock Fails in 2021. I, personally believe in the kid.
    I am one who believes Lock should get a one more year to step up and show everyone he's equipped and can effectively be our QB going forward. AND...the coaching staff has to be almost perfect and make quality game decisions and sound plays to assure Lock's success (no 3rd and two and call a 25-30 yard pass play....lame). It takes two to tango and neither can afford to step on the others foot.

Challenge #2....the need for a qualified back-up QB because injury is always a possibility.
    Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• Call me crazy but I feel Mac Jones is a upgrade day one. Hopefully, he will be our number 9 pick, if he's there at 9.

Comment

• I Like the Mac Jones idea , but feel he will be off the board. Their are some very smart teams

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post

The thing is that Lock needs the attitude of a champion, and he needs to have the team play like it is the 2nd coming of Tom Brady back there. We don't need a goofy kid having fun. We need someone like Elway that got rid of his pool table because Bobby Brewster beat him in pool and he could not bear to look at the table.

Think about what you are saying here. If you're expecting Lock to be Tom Brady or John Elway then you're going to be disappointed. It isn't going to happen.
          Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

Comment

• Originally posted by listopencil View Post

Think about what you are saying here. If you're expecting Lock to be Tom Brady or John Elway then you're going to be disappointed. It isn't going to happen.
            Yeah they are also expecting Fangio to be Mike Shanahan and Shurmur to be Gary Kubiak. I think Lock gets another chance, and I hope he improves a lot.

If we are going to draft a replacement for Lock we need to get in position to get the third best QB in the draft. I want the second best, but I think 4 other teams probably do too.

A good veteran back up is also likely needed. Even if we somehow replace Lock.

Comment

The thing is that Lock needs the attitude of a champion, and he needs to have the team play like it is the 2nd coming of Tom Brady back there. We don't need a goofy kid having fun. We need someone like Elway that got rid of his pool table because Bobby Brewster beat him in pool and he could not bear to look at the table.

Say what? So, the Broncos coaching staff should instruct Lock to "emulate" Brady or Elway or Marino or Montana or Mahomes or Rodgers, etc. and then our QB situation will be just fine. Wow! It's hard to believe someone else didn't think of that sooner...like the day the Broncos signed Lock. What an oversight.

Originally posted by listopencil View Post

Big time disappointment. Mean while...back on Earth.
              Last edited by jazzbodog; 03-10-2021, 07:22 AM.
              Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

He plays hero ball and he is not very accurate - bad combination. He has the skills to turn things around but the major work is between the ears and in attitude.
                He needs to play within the limits of the team and himself, and to push the envelope only at crunch time. A pick 6 on the last drive down by 4 is not a big problem, but it really is on the last drive before the half. He needs to play smart if he wishes to succeed. Elway became a better QB when his body forced him to play smarter - Lock does not have the supreme skills to play dumb football and still hang around playing hero ball - he is not afforded that time and shouldn't be!
                I was a little negative before. I am not a Lock believer. However some of your points are valid here. Lock isn't as mature or established as Elway was when he got rid of the pool table. Lock does play hero ball and isn't accurate right now. He certainly does have some skills and he does have a short memory for frustration during a game. That short memory is symptomatic of continual dumb throws too. Lock is a competitor, you do want that in a QB.

Elway was better than Lock by this point in his career, but seriously Elway is a 1st ballot HOF QB, that isn't that unexpected. We don't need Lock to be a first ballot HOF QB. We do need Lock to be smarter just like you said. Supposedly he is working on his footwork that will help consistency. Lock has more QB talent than any QB we have brought in since Manning retired.

Comment

• Elway is a HoF QB but Elway isn’t a HoF QB because he was great at everything Lock does poorly. He’s a HoF QB because he did everything Lock does well 10 times better. Elway didn’t have to be as smart as Brady or Manning because he had great physical abilities that just trumped the bad parts of his game. Elway didn’t need his footwork to be good because he could just rocket a pass into any window. Elway didn’t need to be good at reading defenses pre snap because he could buy himself enough time to figure it out.

Obviously over time he improved the weaker areas of his game but it did take time.

That’s been the issue with Elway and drafting QBs. He’s been looking for himself in these guys but QBs just can’t do what he did the way he did it. Mobility and big arms have been his preference but the game has evolved to where that just isn’t enough to give a guy the time he needs unless you’re Cutler or Stafford who have somehow been career starters despite a lack of growth. The mental portion of the game is as big as ever as well as the technical portion of the game. I think Lock has it in him, he just needs some consistency and a lot of reps.

I said it earlier, I don’t think Lock wasn’t working hard last offseason, I just think he didn’t know what he needed to work on specifically or how to go about working on it. Part of that is because he came in and won most of his games as a rookie and part of it is he had a new offense with little direction on the finer aspects of the new offense. This offseason he knows what he needs to work on and how he needs to work on it. This offseason won’t be just work on your footwork or read a bunch of coverages, it’s going to be more like if you have a certain coverage on this side of the field against this route concept where will the windows to pass into be and how much depth should you be getting on each step in your drop back. There’s a difference between knowing the playbook and actually grasping the playbook and how the plays are designed to work. Last offseason he didn’t have specific direction because he didn’t know how Shurmur would coach him to read the plays, but this offseason he will not only know how Shurmur wants it read but he’ll have the added experience of knowing what worked and didn’t work for him and plenty of his own tape to pour over.

Comment

• Originally posted by listopencil View Post
                    Can your strawman come out to play?
                    It has nothing to do with Lock having to be a HOF level QB, but if he does not have the right mentality and will to win at all and any cost, he is not going to be a success at the level we expect.

Originally posted by WYBRONCO View Post

I was a little negative before. I am not a Lock believer. However some of your points are valid here. Lock isn't as mature or established as Elway was when he got rid of the pool table. Lock does play hero ball and isn't accurate right now. He certainly does have some skills and he does have a short memory for frustration during a game. That short memory is symptomatic of continual dumb throws too. Lock is a competitor, you do want that in a QB.

Elway was better than Lock by this point in his career, but seriously Elway is a 1st ballot HOF QB, that isn't that unexpected. We don't need Lock to be a first ballot HOF QB. We do need Lock to be smarter just like you said. Supposedly he is working on his footwork that will help consistency. Lock has more QB talent than any QB we have brought in since Manning retired.
                    Maybe Lock has more talent than any QB we have brought in since Manning retired - but objectively that probably falls on Paxton Lynch or Butt fumble. It is not about 1st ballot HOF QBs but about attitude that lifts the team. While the physical skill set of a player like Tebow can be debated but what Lock lacks in extreme measure by comparison is the "Energiser bunny" mode where you never stop, and where the whole team takes on a persona that we will win in the end at all cost - no matter how ugly. There is firing up your team mates, perfectionism like Manning.....

Lock like Cutler celebrates great plays - not results. Mile high magic is about never being out of the game - and Lock does not bring that. It has to be more important the get the defense to want to put everything on the line for a stop rather than dancing with the offense.

Comment

It has nothing to do with Lock having to be a HOF level QB, but if he does not have the right mentality and will to win at all and any cost, he is not going to be a success at the level we expect.

Maybe Lock has more talent than any QB we have brought in since Manning retired - but objectively that probably falls on Paxton Lynch or Butt fumble. It is not about 1st ballot HOF QBs but about attitude that lifts the team. While the physical skill set of a player like Tebow can be debated but what Lock lacks in extreme measure by comparison is the "Energiser bunny" mode where you never stop, and where the whole team takes on a persona that we will win in the end at all cost - no matter how ugly. There is firing up your team mates, perfectionism like Manning.....

Lock like Cutler celebrates great plays - not results. Mile high magic is about never being out of the game - and Lock does not bring that. It has to be more important the get the defense to want to put everything on the line for a stop rather than dancing with the offense.
                      You are being a little to critical of his “dancing with the offense” mentality. IMO

Times have changed. The stoic leader is not the only way to succeed. The celebrations of moderate accomplishments is the norm. How often do we see a sack dance, a 1st down dance or after an interception the entire defense runs 40 yards to do a choreographed celebration in front of the endzone camera. All while watching themselves.

It’s a different time or era of behavior. Long gone are the days of “ act like you have been there, and expect to be there again soon”

Lock is a product of his generation. IMO a bit too immature. But that edge gets polished off by experience. By learning on the job. It will be Interesting to see if he is given that chance by the Broncos. Or if he become just another “ bad pick” and the next QB hopeful gets his chance to mature and develop.

Comment

Yes attitude and leadership skills are very important to elite qb play. Some of that has to be earned, and some can't be earned until a total team buy in is established. The difference I see between Cuter and Lock is that Lock is not a humbug, finger pointer, that thinks they are entitled to lead because of ability. Lock won't earn leadership respect until he quits turning the ball over so much and improves his accuracy. But, if Denver can pull off a few unexpected wins because Lock didn't commit turnovers and put us in a position to win in a couple of close loses with no "rookie" mistakes, respect and leadership will be quickly earned.

Here you go making me sound like I like Lock.

Comment

• he doesnt get it. He never will.
                          So far:
                          FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                          1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

• Originally posted by WYBRONCO View Post

elway was the concenus #1pick of the entire draft

and even with that, his first two years stats, 26 games, 51.9% completion rate, 4261 passing yards, 25 tds, 29 ints, and a 65.85 qb rate
                            elway was highly criticized, called a bust, benched, and even had many cries to get rid of him, he was inaccurate, didnt have any touch on the ball

why dont we let lock have a chance to grow
                            sigpic
                            when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

• Give me juju and Watson and just "lock" this thread up

Comment

• Originally posted by arapaho View Post

elway was the concenus #1pick of the entire draft

and even with that, his first two years stats, 26 games, 51.9% completion rate, 4261 passing yards, 25 tds, 29 ints, and a 65.85 qb rate
                                elway was highly criticized, called a bust, benched, and even had many cries to get rid of him, he was inaccurate, didnt have any touch on the ball

why dont we let lock have a chance to grow
                                What's growth? He was the worst ranked QB last season. So, is 25th growth we can live with? Serious question.

Comment

Working...
                                X