Drew Lock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

Did Paton state he wants to get rid of Lock and acquire a new QB via the draft, FA, etc.? How do you know he's 100% actively trying to find a replacement?
    https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021/...-detroit-lions

Drew was not part of the Stafford trade......Multiple people stated he was......I said he wasn't, they want to keep him, I was blasted.

Comment

• Originally posted by skeeter01 View Post

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021/...-detroit-lions

Drew was not part of the Stafford trade......Multiple people stated he was......I said he wasn't, they want to keep him, I was blasted.
      Thanks Skeeter.
      Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• Who is Drew Lock? Or should I say which QB is Drew Lock? Here are our WRs catching percentages:

Tim Patrick - 64.6%
        Noah Fant - 66.7%
        Albert O - 77.3%
        DaeSean Hamilton - 52.3%

Jerry Jeudy - 46%
        KJ Hamler - 53.6%
        Nick Vannett - 66.7%
        Troy Fumagalli - 53.3%

I left off RBs due to the nature of how they catch passes (high percentage checkdowns) and a few others who had small sample sizes (Sutton, Cleveland, Spencer, Butt). I grouped these guys based off of how much they’ve played with Lock. Fumagalli technically played with Lock his rookie season but it was minimal and he wasn’t with us all last season.

But I think the groups paint a very clear picture. Lock is average to above average throwing to guys he has chemistry with. Vannett was a dump off option which inflated his numbers. The other outlier in Hamilton was hurt by a small sample size as he was 4 passes away from being over 60%, he had 2 drops and lost some catchable passes in the air a handful of times.

Now Lock did miss 3 (essentially 4 games) so these aren’t only Lock’s numbers being factored into their percentages but Lock probably isn’t that far off the mark. I’m not saying Lock is for sure going to be a franchise guy, but I do think based off his numbers throwing to guys he’s established chemistry with that there is a chance he can surprise a lot of people this season.

If there’s a QB the FO really likes and he falls to us at 9 then take him, but I don’t think we need to draft a QB just to draft a QB nor do I think we need to trade up to get a QB. Stand tall at 9 and take the QB we’re high on, or take Parsons, Sewell, or even Horn.

Comment

• Originally posted by broncolee View Post
          I don’t see Lock giving a discount to the GM that’s actively trying to find a replacement.

Maybe he decides to emulate Tom Brady, but how many players would do that for a GM that came in the door looking for another guy at the same position?
          Lock needs to be working hard just to earn a 2nd contract before even considering how much he’ll get. If he plays this year like he did 2020, he’ll be out of league very quickly.
          Eternal Broncos Optimist

Comment

• Originally posted by Megalodon30 View Post

Lock needs to be working hard just to earn a 2nd contract before even considering how much he’ll get. If he plays this year like he did 2020, he’ll be out of league very quickly.
            Unfortunately, a lot of players get huge contracts just because it’s their turn. That’s how Dak Prescott got paid.
            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
            You Mad Bro?
            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

• Originally posted by Megalodon30 View Post

Good thing he showed up today with 20 teammates to workout then. He’s working hard.

Comment

• Originally posted by FR Tim View Post

Good thing he showed up today with 20 teammates to workout then. He’s working hard.
                This report states....he's first in last out......working with PFM on studying film.......sounding good.

Comment

• Originally posted by skeeter01 View Post

This report states....he's first in last out......working with PFM on studying film.......sounding good.
                  Excellent! Sometimes after a year of "in your face stone cold reality" gets your attention to put your nose to the grindstone to make a needed positive change in your career.

Looking forward to seeing him push aside all of the doubters.
                  Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

Excellent! Sometimes after a year of "in your face stone cold reality" gets your attention to put your nose to the grindstone to make a needed positive change in your career.

Looking forward to seeing him push aside all of the doubters.
                    The downside is that if his efforts are driven by fears of loosing his job as starting QB instead of a desire to do everything possible to become an elite QB then it will fade if he becomes a solid starter, rather than elite. Drew needs to be selfmotivated and do whatever it takes.

Comment

• It's really up to Drew Lock to take full advantage of this tremendous opportunity that he has. Either he sinks or swims, it's pretty much all on him to prove he belongs in the NFL or not.
                      ( I think he can do it, but ya never about these things until it happens)

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
                        It's really up to Drew Lock to take full advantage of this tremendous opportunity that he has. Either he sinks or swims, it's pretty much all on him to prove he belongs in the NFL or not.
                        ( I think he can do it, but ya never about these things until it happens)

I couldn't agree more with Lock needing to take advantage of this opportunity. I am a doubting Thomas at this time, but I have to admit a full off-season with the ability to meet with receivers, OTA's full training camps, should really benefit Lock going into the season. Lock is not unmotivated or untalented. He may be too inconsistent to move us deep into the playoffs into the future. Come draft time we will learn a lot about what Patton and company think of his future with this team.

Comment

• Lock appears to be "the guy" as we speak, at least for this season. But April 29th will tell us a lot more, and April 30th might reflect the possibilities of a new competitive face, even if not one of the assumed top 5s.

But the 29th could bring a top tier QB on board, and that for me would likely translate to a serious year or two of grooming and with high expectations.

The 30th, day two, might bring in a 2nd tier QB, whose job will be to either take over or at least become the #1 backup.....but not with a high side expectation in '21.

If no QBs drafted, Drew should not be comfortable so much as assertive that The Broncos need not look farther.

Comment

• This is a difficult situation. Drew is getting better. The OL is getting better. The receivers are getting better. But there is every opportunity to catch either Jones or Lance. Miami would love to trade down just a tiny bit and still get Chase. So Jones and Lance are in play.

Comment

• We live in a different era than when some of the most famous QBs had exceptional careers, but with less than stellar stats compared to nowadays. So it is unfair to expect too much from a young Drew Lock, but conversely, the game is different, the refs and the rules tend to favour QBs, receivers and players who get hit "too hard".

I always think of Terry Bradshaw, Hall of Famer, 4 time SB Champ, 2 time SB MVP. He played on a legendary team, with one of the best and most feared Ds in history, along with 2 of the best WRs to play the game (Swann, Stallworth), a great RB (Harris), and a powerful Oline anchored by Webster. (That Oline was reportedly all benching 500 pounds, which is still astonishing to me!). And of course they had Chuck Noll as their HC.

Bradshaw got the job done, but look at some of his career stats:

Completions - 51.9%

TDs vs Pics - 212/210

Rate - 70.9

Yikes, these are the stats a Hall of Famer!

But as mentioned, the game has changed, Most star QBs back in the day had stats that do not impress in today's game,

Anyway....it brings back a couple of thoughts:
                              1) Give young QBs enough time, but not too long, given the younger group waiting to take their jobs
                              2) Good teams, even great teams, did not always have great QBs, but in my opinion (even nowadays) you can maximize a QBs skillsets if they are a good fit. Or, like the approach taken by Baltimore, you can build your team around the style/skills of your young QB.

And in the case of a Terry Bradshaw, who I thought was tough, resilient and even good at times, but never a star player....if you stack a roster on both sides of the line, a decent QB can shine.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                                We live in a different era than when some of the most famous QBs had exceptional careers, but with less than stellar stats compared to nowadays. So it is unfair to expect too much from a young Drew Lock, but conversely, the game is different, the refs and the rules tend to favour QBs, receivers and players who get hit "too hard".

I always think of Terry Bradshaw, Hall of Famer, 4 time SB Champ, 2 time SB MVP. He played on a legendary team, with one of the best and most feared Ds in history, along with 2 of the best WRs to play the game (Swann, Stallworth), a great RB (Harris), and a powerful Oline anchored by Webster. (That Oline was reportedly all benching 500 pounds, which is still astonishing to me!). And of course they had Chuck Noll as their HC.

Bradshaw got the job done, but look at some of his career stats:

Completions - 51.9%

TDs vs Pics - 212/210

Rate - 70.9

Yikes, these are the stats a Hall of Famer!

But as mentioned, the game has changed, Most star QBs back in the day had stats that do not impress in today's game,

Anyway....it brings back a couple of thoughts:
                                1) Give young QBs enough time, but not too long, given the younger group waiting to take their jobs
                                2) Good teams, even great teams, did not always have great QBs, but in my opinion (even nowadays) you can maximize a QBs skillsets if they are a good fit. Or, like the approach taken by Baltimore, you can build your team around the style/skills of your young QB.

And in the case of a Terry Bradshaw, who I thought was tough, resilient and even good at times, but never a star player....if you stack a roster on both sides of the line, a decent QB can shine.
                                I respectfully disagree....

I think today's football is designed and tailor made for immediate success. The rules of the game today allow for high efficiency. The rules of the game ridiculously help offence and hinder defense. And, Money has a huge part to play with today's football. Terry Bradshaw lived in a time where there was no free agency. He and many other old stars were fortunate to have teams that drafted well.

This season to me is going to be like John elway and Tommy Maddox. I hope Denver drafts a first round quarterback this year and drew lock turns into our John elway I really do. That means we have huge draft assets with quarterbacks. We can trade one of them for a huge draft Hall and use that to continue to build. With a down quarterback year next year's draft, Having that quarterback in our back pocket is literally a gold investment

Comment

Working...
                                X