Drew Lock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
    Where did this guy go and how do we get him back?

He is in Houston with the Texans. He has a 1 year deal with 1M GTD with Houston, his contract is for 3.25M. Considering he is under contract for this season with Houston, I don't think the Broncos will be getting him back. Since Lindsay was originally tendered by the Broncos at the "original-round" level (meaning the Broncos could match any offer he received) and, apparently he did not like that option because teams looking to sign him felt they would just be setting the market price for the Broncos and weren't too willing to make an offer. Setting the market price was what the Broncos, I suppose wanted and possibly/probably would match. Since he was relatively unhappy with the Broncos, - I speculate - the Broncos decided to let him seek a deal in FA. Lindsay probably got more guaranteed than he would have with the Broncos if there was no offer to match... so Lindsay, got him a "decent" contract, for him, relative to what he was making.
    I don't think the Broncos need him, I like him and think he can be valuable but the Broncos went another direction in the draft with Williams (should be a good/great RB?) and also signed Boone. At this point it looks like there may have not been room for Lindsay anyway ? If the Broncos were able to keep Lindsay they might not have drafted Williams, IDK but I am glad they have Williams, I hope it works out with him in the long run.

Last edited by brianmcfarlane; 07-20-2021, 03:31 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Drew Lock has been given every conceivable kind of support to help him succeed as a starting QB in the NFL:

~ coaching continuity;

~ a top notch defense;

~ a solid O-Line that can generate a viable rushing attack as well as adequately pass protect;

~ a deep and talented receiver corps including two TEs who can attack the lateral and vertical seam(s) and be red zone threats;

~ a RB corps that can provide balance as well as receive and block;

~ a clear message that, if he can't play mistake-free football, there is a more than adequate and experienced alternative whom he must first beat out in TC/preseason.

Lock has the necessary physical talent to succeed. He must couple that with mastery of the offense from playbook to installation to game plan to practice, and execute it on game day. That will require the increased maturity, work habits and dedication about which we have been hearing during the off-season. It's just about time to put on the pads and hats and get going. Time for Drew to step up. If he can't get it done, it's on him and no one else. BLAM! BLAM!

I think that maybe the coaching continuity will be the biggest "help" Lock will get. There has been reports that he has really put in the work, it should show in TC. I hope the RT spot gets filled with at least an "average" RT pass blocker but Lock should still show considerable improvement if he is to be the near/far future. It will really be nice if both TEs are healthy, they could really be a threat, especially in the red zone. IMO, Lock needs to do more than mistake-free football when he is named the starter.

Good post!

BLAM!
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post

He is in Houston with the Texans. He has a 1 year deal with 1M GTD with Houston, his contract is for 3.25M. Considering he is under contract for this season with Houston, I don't think the Broncos will be getting him back. Since Lindsay was originally tendered by the Broncos at the "original-round" level (meaning the Broncos could match any offer he received) and, apparently he did not like that option because teams looking to sign him felt they would just be setting the market price for the Broncos and weren't too willing to make an offer. Setting the market price was what the Broncos, I suppose wanted and possibly/probably would match. Since he was relatively unhappy with the Broncos, - I speculate - the Broncos decided to let him seek a deal in FA. Lindsay probably got more guaranteed than he would have with the Broncos if there was no offer to match... so Lindsay, got him a "decent" contract, for him, relative to what he was making.
        I don't think the Broncos need him, I like him and think he can be valuable but the Broncos went another direction in the draft with Williams (should be a good/great RB?) and also signed Boone. At this point it looks like there may have not been room for Lindsay anyway ? If the Broncos were able to keep Lindsay they might not have drafted Williams, IDK but I am glad they have Williams, I hope it works out with him in the long run.

Sorry - it was insignificant to me that Philip Lindsey was on the image. My comment in the thread about Drew Lock was actually intented to be about the young QB who in this game played steller and massively outplayed a QB that many here pine for.

Drew has the skills - but like with Cutler, it would help a lot if he throws the ball to our guys and stops being so good about sharing with others

Comment

Sorry - it was insignificant to me that Philip Lindsey was on the image. My comment in the thread about Drew Lock was actually intented to be about the young QB who in this game played steller and massively outplayed a QB that many here pine for.

Drew has the skills - but like with Cutler, it would help a lot if he throws the ball to our guys and stops being so good about sharing with others
          lol, that's kind of funny... obviously I didn't click on the video. Mostly I don't click on videos... never mind.
          sigpic

Comment

isnt that a matter of being a young qb with limited starts, no preseason in two seasons, learning a new offense again...but for whatever the reason in plays or play calling, lock seemed so much better in scrangrellos offense than schumers initially, also young qbs make mistakes, young qbs dont always see the field or read the defense right, young qbs with a arm try to force it to make plays or like lock trust that arm too much

given that the reports say lock came into the draft with the least amount of pro style coaching or offense, im willing to give him more than 18 starts to evaluate
            WalterFootball.com: 2019 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Drew Lock
            Last edited by arapaho; 07-21-2021, 09:38 AM.
            sigpic
            when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

• I am so looking forward to this Season !! I am calling it once again this is the Year finally that Drew Lock puts the pieces of the Puzzle Together. This will be Drew's Breakout Year !! Drew will throw for over 4K Yards I say 35 TD's 5 Ints and Leads Denver into the Playoffs and once Denver is in the Playoffs I look forward to Von Miller rippin it up just like he did in 2015 and Leading Denver to the Superbowl !! Drew Lock will be a Pro Bowl QB this year. In Drew I Trust.

Comment

• Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
                I am so looking forward to this Season !! I am calling it once again this is the Year finally that Drew Lock puts the pieces of the Puzzle Together. This will be Drew's Breakout Year !! Drew will throw for over 4K Yards I say 35 TD's 5 Ints and Leads Denver into the Playoffs and once Denver is in the Playoffs I look forward to Von Miller rippin it up just like he did in 2015 and Leading Denver to the Superbowl !! Drew Lock will be a Pro Bowl QB this year. In Drew I Trust.
                Basically starting his second season in starts i will be thrilled if he did that
                however im thinking if we can get 3500-3800 yards 25-30 tds and 10-12 ints gets us into the post
                sigpic
                when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

• Originally posted by arapaho View Post

isnt that a matter of being a young qb with limited starts, no preseason in two seasons, learning a new offense again...but for whatever the reason in plays or play calling, lock seemed so much better in scrangrellos offense than schumers initially, also young qbs make mistakes, young qbs dont always see the field or read the defense right, young qbs with a arm try to force it to make plays or like lock trust that arm too much

given that the reports say lock came into the draft with the least amount of pro style coaching or offense, im willing to give him more than 18 starts to evaluate
                  WalterFootball.com: 2019 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Drew Lock
                  The patience with Drew to me has to be based on progression. As teams get game film on a QB they will be better able to take away what he does well and he needs to learn what to do then. It is interesting when you see young QBs develop - Tebow's 2010 and 2011 seasons were interesing and so was Siemians 2016. Both QBs got knocked down, had to get up and learn. For either I think we had unfinished stories as the Vance Joseph experiment killed Siemian and Tebowmania got replaced by something better.

Both QBs were able to fail, learn, fail again and grow in the limited time. I really miss seing the growth from Drew Lock, but as long as he stops making the same mistakes again and again, then I have patience with him, but there is a very real QB money decision that needs to be made soon where he has to be worth the money he will command.

He needs to become a great game manager with the ability to win when it matters, but I am far from certain that he is that guy!

Comment

• Originally posted by arapaho View Post

Basically starting his second season in starts i will be thrilled if he did that
                    however im thinking if we can get 3500-3800 yards 25-30 tds and 10-12 ints gets us into the post
                    This is exactly what I am expecting !!! I trust that Drew will get us where we all want to be. He'll still have some bumps along the way, and there will be some that say "off with his head" after a few of those bumps , but at seasons end....these stats { 3500-3800 yards 25-30 tds and 10-12 ints } will be achieved and we will be in playoffs. I actually think we split with the Chiefs this year as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
                      I am so looking forward to this Season !! I am calling it once again this is the Year finally that Drew Lock puts the pieces of the Puzzle Together. This will be Drew's Breakout Year !! Drew will throw for over 4K Yards I say 35 TD's 5 Ints and Leads Denver into the Playoffs and once Denver is in the Playoffs I look forward to Von Miller rippin it up just like he did in 2015 and Leading Denver to the Superbowl !! Drew Lock will be a Pro Bowl QB this year. In Drew I Trust.
                      35 TDs against 5 ints. I don't see that happening.
                      sigpic

Adopted Bronco: Von Miller

Comment

• Lock splitting reps with Bridgewater is only going to hinder his development.

If people want to give him a legitimate chance, he needs to be listed as the starter and given all the first teams reps.

He needs all the reps to get the playbook down and build chemistry with his receivers and offensive line. Splitting reps, having the receivers and offensive line having to constantly adjust to a different QB is not a recipe for success.....it doesn't work. And, now with one less preseason game, the reps become even more important.

This whole 50/50 split is not going to work.
                        Last edited by sra84; 07-24-2021, 04:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sra84 View Post
                          Lock splitting reps with Bridgewater is only going to hinder his development.

If people want to give him a legitimate chance, he needs to be listed as the starter and given all the first teams reps.

He needs all the reps to get the playbook down and build chemistry with his receivers and offensive line. Splitting reps, having the receivers and offensive line having to constantly adjust to a different QB is not a recipe for success.....it doesn't work. And, now with one less preseason game, the reps become even more important.

I agree to an extent. At this point, Lock has had a lot of reps in this offense by starting the majority of last season. If he can’t pull away from Bridgewater early then the competition will show that we need to move on. Physical reps are important for correcting physical issue and while there are some physical things Lock needs to work on, it’s more mental for him. He needs to put just as much into those mental reps as he does the physical ones.

His feel for the offense and his chemistry with the players around him should be much better than Bridgewater’s. Bridgewater is the opposite of Lock in that he’s generally safe with the ball almost to a fault. The expectation for Lock is clear, protect the football and the job is your’s. That’s the only area where Bridgewater can truly win the job over Lock.

Comment

Lock splitting reps with Bridgewater is only going to hinder his development.

Maybe true, but at the same time you could probably look at it this way:
                            If Lock can't show development with 50 percent of the reps he shouldn't be the guy anyway. A good QB will find a way to get better regardless of circumstance.

Extreme example but when Brady was drafted he was probably getting little to no reps in camp. But he still developed. His second year the Pats signed a veteran Damon Huard to back up Drew Bledsoe, and he somehow beat him out to be the primary backup, probably with marginal reps compared to Bledsoe. Point I'm making is a QB's development has a lot to do with the QB themselves. There are plenty of ways for a QB to improve on their own. If we're sitting there and relying on all of the development of Drew Lock to come from the structure of our team activities and coaches, we're going to be waiting about 12 years.

So if it doesn't work I don't think it's because of the structure of the percentage of snaps throughout the preseason, it's because Lock wouldn't have been the guy anyway. With 100% of reps would he be marginally better than 50%? Sure. But that in itself won't be the difference between Lock being successful or unsuccessful as a starter.

The big reason why I'm a fan of Teddy, not just I think he's a lot better than people give him credit for and he could take us further than we might realize right now, but he will force the issue on the evaluation of Lock. No place to hide for Lock.
                            A book I wrote

Comment

• Originally posted by CTM View Post

Maybe true, but at the same time you could probably look at it this way:
                              If Lock can't show development with 50 percent of the reps he shouldn't be the guy anyway. A good QB will find a way to get better regardless of circumstance.

Extreme example but when Brady was drafted he was probably getting little to no reps in camp. But he still developed. His second year the Pats signed a veteran Damon Huard to back up Drew Bledsoe, and he somehow beat him out to be the primary backup, probably with marginal reps compared to Bledsoe. Point I'm making is a QB's development has a lot to do with the QB themselves. There are plenty of ways for a QB to improve on their own. If we're sitting there and relying on all of the development of Drew Lock to come from the structure of our team activities and coaches, we're going to be waiting about 12 years.

So if it doesn't work I don't think it's because of the structure of the percentage of snaps throughout the preseason, it's because Lock wouldn't have been the guy anyway. With 100% of reps would he be marginally better than 50%? Sure. But that in itself won't be the difference between Lock being successful or unsuccessful as a starter.

The big reason why I'm a fan of Teddy, not just I think he's a lot better than people give him credit for and he could take us further than we might realize right now, but he will force the issue on the evaluation of Lock. No place to hide for Lock.
                              Yeah, I'm not going to compare Lock to Brady, or, even Fangio running things compared to Belichick running things. Brady and Belichick are the exception. Besides, Bledsoe was the unquestioned starter. It wasn't a competition between him and Brady. And when Brady took over....he got the reps.

Second, teams don't practice like they used to, or, as much. And, like I said, there is one less preseason game.

Third, this kind of 50/50 split doesn't work. It can can have a negative effect if the rest of the team doesn't know who the starter is.... especially if it's a week to week situation. We all talk about how important continuity is.... this isn't it.

Lastly, I don't believe in Bridgewater. He's a mediocre backup QB at best. He's not going to get us to the playoffs. Lock is still a little bit of an unknown.....we know what Bridgewater is. That's why the Vikings, Jets, Saints and Panthers gave up on him. He's not even on Ryan Fitzpatrick's level of caliber of journeyman QB.
                              ​​​​​

Comment

Yeah, I'm not going to compare Lock to Brady, or, even Fangio running things compared to Belichick running things. Brady and Belichick are the exception. Besides, Bledsoe was the unquestioned starter. It wasn't a competition between him and Brady. And when Brady took over....he got the reps.

Second, teams don't practice like they used to, or, as much. And, like I said, there is one less preseason game.

Third, this kind of 50/50 split doesn't work. It can can have a negative effect if the rest of the team doesn't know who the starter is.... especially if it's a week to week situation. We all talk about how important continuity is.... this isn't it.

Lastly, I don't believe in Bridgewater. He's a mediocre backup QB at best. He's not going to get us to the playoffs. Lock is still a little bit of an unknown.....we know what Bridgewater is. That's why the Vikings, Jets, Saints and Panthers gave up on him. He's not even on Ryan Fitzpatrick's level of caliber of journeyman QB.
                                ​​​​​

Could not of said it
                                any better !!

Comment

Working...
                                X