Drew Lock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

He only had 10 drop backs before the final period and a few ended in sacks. But the difference between the two QBs right now is, Teddy for the most part isn’t stretching the field. He had one deep pass yesterday and only stretched the defense like 3 times today. Everything else is under 10 yards. Lock isn’t going to play like that nor is he getting those same play calls so he’s going to have some days that look like this.

Ultimately it’s been 2 days and they still aren’t playing with pads. Bridgewater is who he is and while that may be enough to get us a playoff berth, Lock has the higher upside. Actually, there’s really no downside to rolling with Lock all season. If he struggles, we’re in a good spot to draft a guy, if he picks it up we end up in the same spot Teddy gets us albeit in a different way. Teddy Bridgewater likely puts us in QB purgatory where we’re never quite bad enough to draft a top QB but never good enough to make a deep run.
    Lock ran around in the 7 on 7 drills like Lynch did. It gave me PTSD of that awful ‘decision’ summer. I want to Lock to get all the reps and be given the job now and prepare like he is the man. I understand jobs are on the line so his previous performance makes that undoable. But IMHO, the so called winner of this competition is going to lose the job sometime during the season anyway. Lock, to me, looks the same as last year so far. So just invest in him and he’ll show you by week 4 if he’s figured it out. Teddy is enough of a professional to pick it up and play safe and vanilla for the rest of the season if/when it doesn’t pan out with Lock.

Comment

• Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post

I can’t think of many teams that started with an “open” QB competition and actually had a successful season. Most of the time these teams are lucky if they even win 6 games.

This is about the worst case scenario. Try for a bunch of QBs and fail get any of them, get cold feet with a chance to draft one, then their finally forced to settle with Lock and Bridgewater.
      Yeah. I’m not really doing back flips over the QB situation. I’m just hoping for the best at this point.
      sigpic

Comment

• Drew had a good day today and it’s probably the most decisive win by either QB so far. The next practice will tell a lot about his mindset though. Will he relax and get a little carefree with the ball? Or he will he come out locked in and looking to wrap the competition up early?

Comment

• Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post

We’re well overdue for that 1st round trend to change.

This was the year to take a swing, but they didn’t. It is what it is.
          The problem is, the only sure thing in the draft was Lawrence. Everyone else is a project. Right now in Chicago they are saying that Andy Dalton will start and Fields will sit. If you are a third year HC and need to win now to save your job, drafting the QB of the future isn't going to do it. We already have a project; one that is further along the development process than a new rookie QB.
          You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post

Lock ran around in the 7 on 7 drills like Lynch did. It gave me PTSD of that awful ‘decision’ summer. I want to Lock to get all the reps and be given the job now and prepare like he is the man. I understand jobs are on the line so his previous performance makes that undoable. But IMHO, the so called winner of this competition is going to lose the job sometime during the season anyway. Lock, to me, looks the same as last year so far. So just invest in him and he’ll show you by week 4 if he’s figured it out. Teddy is enough of a professional to pick it up and play safe and vanilla for the rest of the season if/when it doesn’t pan out with Lock.
            We haven't yet put the pads on and started playing "for real" or at least as "real" as it gets in training camp. We need another couple of weeks to start seeing what we need to see.
            You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

• Lol there is "NO" for sure thing in the draft period everyone has a 50/50 chance to bust at any position. Lawrence will be good ....I personally don't think he will be this generational qb that just take the leage by storm....but me and a few people on here have been saying this since last year.
              Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

• To soon for anyone to be even remotely come close to wrapping the qb spot up....a lot of people look damn good in shorts....let's see when the team across from the broncos have on a different color jersey and name....that will give a better story.
                Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

• IMO Drew Lock needs competition in training camp to sharpen his focus and provide him with some kind of yardstick against which to measure himself. In this instance a six year veteran QB with forty-nine starts gives him a sense of urgency. This may be Drew Lock's last opportunity to prove himself in Denver and he has been given everything he needs: a good O-Line; excellent skill players with quality depth; a top D to keep games manageable; ability to field a balanced offense; and, coaching continuity. It's on him now to step up and get the job done.
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue719 View Post

The problem is, the only sure thing in the draft was Lawrence. Everyone else is a project. Right now in Chicago they are saying that Andy Dalton will start and Fields will sit. If you are a third year HC and need to win now to save your job, drafting the QB of the future isn't going to do it. We already have a project; one that is further along the development process than a new rookie QB.
                    Yep. Everyone wants the shiny new toy and instant gratification. Paton knew Fields wasn’t ready for Shumur’s offense this year. Heck, Lock wasn’t ready for Shurmur’s offense in 2nd year. We’ll see if he is this year; I’m hoping, but he has to do it. We don’t know how Fields will turn out long-term, but this I do know, Paton had Surtain ranked higher, prolly much higher, thus the pick at #9.
                    "I've always thought that Raider fans in Oakland were not so much fans as they were 50,000 people out on a work-release program." - John Elway.

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                      IMO Drew Lock needs competition in training camp to sharpen his focus and provide him with some kind of yardstick against which to measure himself. In this instance a six year veteran QB with forty-nine starts gives him a sense of urgency. This may be Drew Lock's last opportunity to prove himself in Denver and he has been given everything he needs: a good O-Line; excellent skill players with quality depth; a top D to keep games manageable; ability to field a balanced offense; and, coaching continuity. It's on him now to step up and get the job done.
                      Yes, the coaching staff just handed Lock the job in 2020, and yes I know there was no OTC’s, but I think Lock may have gotten complacent, and he regressed to begin the season. To be fair, I don’t think Shurmur was helping him out much either, but Lock just seemed to lose a bit of his “edge”. True competition will either bring out the best in Lock, or he crumbles under pressure. If it’s the former, that’s great, he can build on it. If it’s the latter, the team knows he’s not the answer, and they can move on. There is no issue here, imo.
                      "I've always thought that Raider fans in Oakland were not so much fans as they were 50,000 people out on a work-release program." - John Elway.

Comment

• Originally posted by jcrobins View Post

Yes, the coaching staff just handed Lock the job in 2020, and yes I know there was no OTC’s, but I think Lock may have gotten complacent, and he regressed to begin the season. To be fair, I don’t think Shurmur was helping him out much either, but Lock just seemed to lose a bit of his “edge”. True competition will either bring out the best in Lock, or he crumbles under pressure. If it’s the former, that’s great, he can build on it. If it’s the latter, the team knows he’s not the answer, and they can move on. There is no issue here, imo.

he regressed? You mean the OC and scheme was changed from what lock looked good in to a complicated scheme, with one of the leagues youngest offensives All learning this new scheme, without preseason, without the best offensive weapon after week 2… of course he struggled early, so did the entire offense
                        sigpic
                        when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

• Originally posted by arapaho View Post

he regressed? You mean the OC and scheme was changed from what lock looked good in to a complicated scheme, with one of the leagues youngest offensives All learning this new scheme, without preseason, without the best offensive weapon after week 2… of course he struggled early, so did the entire offense
                          Another way of saying he regressed to begin the season, no? And I never said it was all his fault. I’m fully aware of the challenges he was faced with. This year is no excuses, and I’m rooting for him to take the reigns.

Comment

• I think that Drew Lock will be the starter.

Comment

• I do not have a preference at QB. Whoever deserves the job, day one, day two and so forth. If it's Drew, great! But in my opinion, he needs to secure the job and keep it, or risk the obvious....another QB search next offseason. Whereas if Teddy wins the job, he is very probably not a long term starter, but playoffs are always the goal. Get there and good things can happen. Whoever wins the starting job this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue719 View Post

We haven't yet put the pads on and started playing "for real" or at least as "real" as it gets in training camp. We need another couple of weeks to start seeing what we need to see.
                                This. TC 7on7's, 11on11's are just practicing getting timing down for the offense. Yeah, sometimes a guy like Mark Sanchez or Paxton Lynch will look completely befuddled in TC. We'll see how it pans out when they get to preseason game one and the joint practice with the Vikings.

Comment

Working...
                                X