This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

If that's the case, then he's playing it safe, too safe at this level.
    But that is exactly what is being drummed into his head every film session and practice. “Be safe” “ Be more like Bridgewater”

Now we are surprised when he checks down too quickly or seems indecisive when pressured? The risk taking playmaker from two years ago is long gone. Expecting anything differently is just not going to happen.

I have no clue what the answer is at this point. I thought Bridgewater won the job for his leadership and he was loved by all. So rally the offense. Shurmur is supposed to be a good OC so help your Oline and QBs out with some creative play calling and use of the run game. At least make some changes as your inexperienced Oline is getting manhandled.

Frustrating and disappointing but not totally unexpected. The Ravens are one of the elite teams in the league. Broncos are just trying get competitive on a weekly basis. They all have work to do! Luckily there is a simple solution. Win against the Steelers.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

If that's the case, then he's playing it safe, too safe at this level.
      Definitely too safe, it seems to me that he’s been over-coached and just isn’t playing his game at all. I understand that he needed to be safer with the ball, but it feels like he’s forcing it rather than letting it come naturally which is making his overall game look a lot worse.

That seemed like the perfect opportunity for him. We were already losing, the Ravens hadn’t gameplanned for him. I would’ve been ok with him coming out and just slinging it and playing loose rather than what he did. Lock just doesn’t seem to deal with mental pressure very well.

Comment

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

Definitely too safe, it seems to me that he’s been over-coached and just isn’t playing his game at all. I understand that he needed to be safer with the ball, but it feels like he’s forcing it rather than letting it come naturally which is making his overall game look a lot worse.

That seemed like the perfect opportunity for him. We were already losing, the Ravens hadn’t gameplanned for him. I would’ve been ok with him coming out and just slinging it and playing loose rather than what he did. Lock just doesn’t seem to deal with mental pressure very well.
        This is the worry if you try to make a player someone they aren't. Lock's always going to be a bit of a gunslinger, and if he is forced to become a cautious QB, he will not succeed. He may not succeed as the player he is, but we saw ample evidence of his skill in 2019, even in an abbreviated stint at starter. I fear that he will be done with us by end of year if he is not challenged to be the best he that he can be.

Comment

• Originally posted by FR Tim View Post

But that is exactly what is being drummed into his head every film session and practice. “Be safe” “ Be more like Bridgewater”

Now we are surprised when he checks down too quickly or seems indecisive when pressured? The risk taking playmaker from two years ago is long gone. Expecting anything differently is just not going to happen.

I have no clue what the answer is at this point. I thought Bridgewater won the job for his leadership and he was loved by all. So rally the offense. Shurmur is supposed to be a good OC so help your Oline and QBs out with some creative play calling and use of the run game. At least make some changes as your inexperienced Oline is getting manhandled.

Frustrating and disappointing but not totally unexpected. The Ravens are one of the elite teams in the league. Broncos are just trying get competitive on a weekly basis. They all have work to do! Luckily there is a simple solution. Win against the Steelers.
          I get that.....but it's a recipe that may not end well. As beast said, he may be struggling to be the gunslinger on one hand, and the game manager (my description) on the other....and maybe he just can't be both. It might be an experiment that does not end well.

But I do not blame him if he's being pushed, because what choice does he have? Sink or swim,,,,this year.

Comment

Tough to just “ sling it” when the Ravens were overwhelming the Oline. It was not as if Bridgewater was dealing with the “ mental pressure” of being hit multiple times either.

Lock’s best play of the day was on the scramble down the sideline. But IMO the plays being called were basically stay in the collapsing pocket and deal with it. Shurmur did not adjust as the game went downhill and certainly didn’t help either QB.

Broncos just need to get over it as a team. They lost to a better team. Be pissed, embarrassed or whatever emotion they want, but they have a game to get ready for. They need to rally behind whichever QB starts, trust the rushing game and defense and go beat the Steelers.

The time for a QB controversy was pre-season. They now have games to play.

Comment

• Originally posted by FR Tim View Post

Tough to just “ sling it” when the Ravens were overwhelming the Oline. It was not as if Bridgewater was dealing with the “ mental pressure” of being hit multiple times either.

The part all the Lock apologists and sack riders want to conveniently leave out of their Monday morning quarterbacking. But let's not bring logic into this or anything....whatever.

Comment

Taking the mental pressure reference a bit further, in my view Lock gets down on himself after a few mistakes. Pro sport is all about putting the negatives out of your mind and moving on to the next play. Teddy can play through a very conservative/underwhelming period of play and still find ways to make progress. We'll never know for sure, but I imagine he would have played a better second half had he been able to continue. More adventurous certainly as that has been the pattern of his play. Can Lock do the same? I have my doubts.

Comment

• Originally posted by GMTD View Post

Taking the mental pressure reference a bit further, in my view Lock gets down on himself after a few mistakes. Pro sport is all about putting the negatives out of your mind and moving on to the next play. Teddy can play through a very conservative/underwhelming period of play and still find ways to make progress. We'll never know for sure, but I imagine he would have played a better second half had he been able to continue. More adventurous certainly as that has been the pattern of his play. Can Lock do the same? I have my doubts.
                  I highly doubt that Teddy could of done any better than he did in that 1st half lol. Teddy was what 3 of 11 in the 1st half for 65 Yards LOL. Sorry Teddy an 8year Vet gets no love from me. Teddy sucks and by the looks of it so did Drew so now we really are screwed in having no QB's worth a Dam married to an OC that cannot call a game correctly to save his life married to a Clueless Head Coach !!

Comment

• We need an OC that is a mastermind and a HC that is offensively gifted too. The DC needs to be proven. Good coaches build around their players. Hopefully Lock improves, and we probably need some help at WR and OL.

I think even if Lock goes for 300+yds and 5TDs 0 ints this coaching staff will still bench him.
                    Manning to Thomas ev'ry day, all day.

Comment

• If Drew Lock was any good he would have won the QB competition. He has had many chances to secure the starting QB job.

Maybe on a better team, with better coaches and a great O-line he could develop into a decent QB?

Comment

• Drew Lock isn’t good. I can’t brli people are still defending him
                        -Bronco in UT

While I both agree and disagree with many posts in this thread I have to lean towards champ on this one. Jay really needs to learn how to manage the game better, and also to learn that you don't have to go for the big play EVERY time on every drive. There is something to be said to check the ball down and live to fight another day. -Great Post Cut the Excuses out please. sigh...

Helll of a post

Comment

• Bridgewater was getting tuned up as well. Don't think it's a QB problem.
                          sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

• Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post

Agreed. Like has been said before, it's possible our 2022 starter isn't on roster. It seems like a franchise QB will be able to transcend the O-line issues and take this team to another level, but it's probably going to be a lot more losing in between. We are a team far away from the likes of the Ravens, Bills - not to mention likely at best 3rd in our division.
                            The Broncos are the worst team in the AFCW. This team is dead in the water picking 11-17 next year.
                            sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
                              If Drew Lock was any good he would have won the QB competition. He has had many chances to secure the starting QB job.

Maybe on a better team, with better coaches and a great O-line he could develop into a decent QB?
                              Agree 100%. Drew needs ideal conditions to have a chance to develop into a good QB. These conditions don't exist in Denver.

Comment

• Originally posted by GMTD View Post

Agree 100%. Drew needs ideal conditions to have a chance to develop into a good QB. These conditions don't exist in Denver.
                                I am starting to think we can't develop young QB's here in Denver????

Comment

Working...
                                X