Drew Lock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Scangarello can only hide behind the “new” status so long. At some point he has to get it together. If not he can go back to caking plays for a DIII college program.
    I agree. He deserves a little slack but as the season has progressed he is still very inconsistent. Creative and bold one moment, stale and predictable the next. From articles I've read that have broken down plays through the year, the general impression is that he has a good play book and can effectively attack a defense but either he tries to get cute or something but he struggles at times stringing together plays. It's like he's the OC equivalent of Fant - flashes here and there but very much lacking in areas of importance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post
      So- as a hypothetical, if they wait to start Lock until next year... would you guys accept these kind of numbers from him in his first season?

326/575 attempts (56.7% completion)
      3,379 yards
      233 yards a game
      26 TDS/28 INT
      71.2 QBR
      3-13 record

Would that be something you guys would be OK with while he learned with an obviously bad team?
      I'll only accept 5000 yards, 50 tds and a QBr above 95.

Comment

• Sorry if I'm behind - does Denver need to decide this week or next week if they are going to activate Lock? I have the feeling they will wait as long as possible no matter the circumstances, so was just wondering.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rastic View Post
          I agree. He deserves a little slack but as the season has progressed he is still very inconsistent. Creative and bold one moment, stale and predictable the next. From articles I've read that have broken down plays through the year, the general impression is that he has a good play book and can effectively attack a defense but either he tries to get cute or something but he struggles at times stringing together plays. It's like he's the OC equivalent of Fant - flashes here and there but very much lacking in areas of importance.
          I didn’t watch the game but heard about the possession when we got 7 yards on 1st down with a run play. Scangarello followed with two pass plays. First, pound the ball for 3 more yards. Or, run a play to get the ball out of Allen’s hand quickly. He’s making it too hard. Hasn’t he heard the phrase “KISS”?

Comment

I didn’t watch the game but heard about the possession when we got 7 yards on 1st down with a run play. Scangarello followed with two pass plays. First, pound the ball for 3 more yards. Or, run a play to get the ball out of Allen’s hand quickly. He’s making it too hard. Hasn’t he heard the phrase “KISS”?
            The weird thing is I see several plays where I’m like “wow, I like that design”. Then there’s several where I’m like “that’s just trying to be too cute and clever.” I also think his play calling is wildly inconsistent.

I think the guy has decent potential. He just needs to keep it simple sometimes.
            sigpic

Comment

• I hope that he's active and backing up Allen at the very least this week. If things look similar to what they have for the last 6 quarters offensively early on, make the switch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bootleg View Post
                I hope that he's active and backing up Allen at the very least this week. If things look similar to what they have for the last 6 quarters offensively early on, make the switch.
                How sad is it that we're reduced to hoping the kid is even activated. I really question why they drafted him in the first place. If they are so worried that he "isn't ready", then they failed on yet another drafted QB. Mostly because they seem to love drafting project QBs who they don't feel obligated to commit to.
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
                  How sad is it that we're reduced to hoping the kid is even activated. I really question why they drafted him in the first place. If they are so worried that he "isn't ready", then they failed on yet another drafted QB. Mostly because they seem to love drafting project QBs who they don't feel obligated to commit to.
                  It's curious and does suggest they don't really believe in Lock. Perhaps they're still smarting from the wreckage of the season and don't really know what to do? It wasn't supposed to be this way...

If you can't play Lock at 3-8, when can you play him? Project QB or not, sure he has to play now?

Comment

• Dude has got to play now! He is the future and you have to play him now. I get so sick of us being so cautious with our QBs while other teams are throwing them into the fire. Here’s some facts;

Lock at his worst is a better and more talented QB than Flacco and Allen combined.

Guys like Darnold, Jackson, Mayfield, Allen, Murray, Haskins, etc are all being thrown into the fire and while they’re taking some licks they’re also looking pretty damn good. That is the next wave of QBs in this league along with Mahomes and co.

I will argue that Lock is equally as talented as any of those guys, but not letting him get live reps is killing him and us.

One thing is for certain, we HAVE to know which direction we’re heading at the QB position this offseason. Give Lock 4-5 games go see if he’s got potential. Good grief we are a laughing stock!

Comment

I agree. It feels like they don't even want him. I can't decide if it was because of Flacco's ego (which is what I leaned towards at the very least till he got hurt) or if they only picked him because it checked off a "need" but were never really that enthused, and now they're stuck because Flacco didn't pan out like Elway thought he would.

Comment

• Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
                        Why in the world would the Head Coach put in a QB like Lock, who doesn't even appear on the Depth Chart, over the 2nd String QB, Rypien, who earned that right. Talk about "losing the locker room".

https://www.denverbroncos.com/team/depth-chart
                        Lol what? Lock hasn’t been activated yet therefore he can’t appear on the depth chart and Rypien was on the practice squad until Flacco got hurt, he “earned” the backup job by not hurting himself doing whatever it is practice squad QBs do. I don’t think Rypien ever surpassed Hogan in the preseason while Lock had become the 2nd guy before the thumb injury.

Comment

Project QB means nothing. Lamar Jackson and Patrick Mahomes were considered projects while Rosen was considered pro ready. The Broncos have already committed to Lock. Backup QBs don’t get many reps if any at all in practice let alone a QB that hasn’t even been activated yet.

Barring another injury Lock will be activated, it makes no sense to activate Butt as he’d tear his ACL walking into the stadium and Booker is filling the only role Riddick would’ve had.

Comment

his play calling is just out of whack...I know hes pressing at times getting cute and looking for the big gain...which is occasionally a hit...but he doesn't seem to be aware of the situation
                            like a crucial 3rd down...most of our sacks and bad plays are on third...and it seems that hes trying to get the big play, when the defense is loading up and coming after the qb, and we only need 3 yards...he continually calls these slow developing plays instead of knowing, the defenses is gonna come, we need 3 yards...call a play that gets some body open quick!!!

how many times have we seen the screen or jet sweep to fant...hes fast...but he aint jet sweep fast, its like he thinks im gonna catch them by surprise, and every time it gets sniffed out
                            sigpic
                            when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

• Originally posted by arapaho View Post
                              his play calling is just out of whack...I know hes pressing at times getting cute and looking for the big gain...which is occasionally a hit...but he doesn't seem to be aware of the situation
                              like a crucial 3rd down...most of our sacks and bad plays are on third...and it seems that hes trying to get the big play, when the defense is loading up and coming after the qb, and we only need 3 yards...he continually calls these slow developing plays instead of knowing, the defenses is gonna come, we need 3 yards...call a play that gets some body open quick!!!

how many times have we seen the screen or jet sweep to fant...hes fast...but he aint jet sweep fast, its like he thinks im gonna catch them by surprise, and every time it gets sniffed out
                              I'm a huge Fant fan (as a Hawkeye fan), but I'm so damn sick of that call. We try it every game it seems at least once, and sometimes multiple times. It's terrible, its never worked, and it makes everyone look terrible on the field.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post
                                So- as a hypothetical, if they wait to start Lock until next year... would you guys accept these kind of numbers from him in his first season?

326/575 attempts (56.7% completion)
                                3,379 yards
                                233 yards a game
                                26 TDS/28 INT
                                71.2 QBR
                                3-13 record

Would that be something you guys would be OK with while he learned with an obviously bad team?
                                Looks a lot like Peyton Manning's first season. I wouldn't be jumping with joy if Lock threw 28 picks but I also would understand that said event wouldn't doom his career.

Comment

Working...
                                X