Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lvbronx
    replied
    For a Bronco Mt Rushmore I'd have Elway and Floyd as the only two unquestionable Broncos on it and then we can debate over who should get the two remaining places.

I'd sum up a typical Floyd Little play as juking one defender, running over the next, then dragging the 3rd defender 4 yards...all for a 3 yard gain.

Leave a comment:

• MH Stampede
    replied
    Originally posted by colowoz01 View Post
    Prayers for one of the originals Denver Broncos.
    Little was the reason I became a Bronco fan those many years ago. Watching him was like watching Barry Sanders, lightning on two feet.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
    I had the pleasure of watching Floyd Little for all except his rookie season. Not many people on this board can say that about Little. Or for that matter, Otis Armstrong, and many other early Broncos talented players. Two things come to mind. 1st are his "bow legs". He could put his feet together and throw a football that would pass between his knees. Some folks attributed his lack of knee injuries to those bow legs. I have no idea why.
    2nd was when 1st Round Draft choice (11th freakin pick) runningback from University of Colorado, Bobby Anderson, (and people today complain about Elway's picks, LOLOLOL) broke his ankle on a running play. Anderson's foot was turned around, pointing in the wrong direction, and he was asking Floyd to turn it back around, pointing forward. Of course Floyd declined. And although it's hazy, didn't Little score on the last play of his career?
    A truly class act who would've been in the hall of fame much earlier if he had played on ANY OTHER team in the league.
    When my Dad retired from the USAF in 1964, he moved us to Aurora. He became a Bronco fan as did I. We used to pore over the Sports Section of the Rocky Mountain News for news about the Broncos.

Dad got excited in 1967 when the Broncos drafted Floyd Little. He took me to the exhibition game at DU's old Hilltop Stadium against the Detroit Lions (which was the first time an AFL team defeated an NFL team) just to see Floyd. My Dad was bow-legged and he said the secret to Floyd's success was his bow legs.

During the seasons, Floyd was "doubtful" for just about every game I can remember in the late Sixties. But, there he was suited up every Sunday returning kicks, punts, running the ball and catching passes. He must have played with ten different QBs during his career as a Bronco. Denver had their first winning season in 1973, but sold out Mile High Stadium from 1970. Bronco fans went to see Floyd, Billy Thompson and that great D-Line, but mostly Floyd.

When Al Davis was waging a scorched earth policy that brought the NFL to the bargaining table, Art Modell, the owner of the Cleveland Browns, said the NFL would take all the AFL teams in a merger except the Denver Broncos. He said he just couldn't see the Broncos playing in Cleveland's stadium. Al Davis and Lamar Hunt said no way. Take the whole AFL in a merger or take a hike.

After the merger, the Broncos played their first game at Cleveland 24 October 1971. Floyd rushed for over 100 yards and caught a couple of passes and the Denver Broncos defeated the Cleveland Browns 27-0. After the game, Floyd was walking off the field with Rich Jackson when a reporter stuck a microphone in his face and asked him to say something about Denver's victory. Floyd smiled and said, "We'd just like to thank Mr. Modell for letting us play in his stadium." That was Floyd Little, nothing but class.

Leave a comment:

• gtown53
    replied
    I had the pleasure of watching Floyd Little for all except his rookie season. Not many people on this board can say that about Little. Or for that matter, Otis Armstrong, and many other early Broncos talented players. Two things come to mind. 1st are his "bow legs". He could put his feet together and throw a football that would pass between his knees. Some folks attributed his lack of knee injuries to those bow legs. I have no idea why.
    2nd was when 1st Round Draft choice (11th freakin pick) runningback from University of Colorado, Bobby Anderson, (and people today complain about Elway's picks, LOLOLOL) broke his ankle on a running play. Anderson's foot was turned around, pointing in the wrong direction, and he was asking Floyd to turn it back around, pointing forward. Of course Floyd declined. And although it's hazy, didn't Little score on the last play of his career?
    A truly class act who would've been in the hall of fame much earlier if he had played on ANY OTHER team in the league.

Leave a comment:

• colowoz01
    started a topic Floyd Little

Floyd Little

Prayers for one of the originals Denver Broncos.
Working...
X