sticking with chris hinton in 1983

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sticking with chris hinton in 1983

Just curious on how you’d guess the broncos would have fared sticking with hinton with no thought whatsoever of trading with the then baltimore colts for anyone , bearing in mind hinton was a 7 time pro bowler and 2 time first team all pro , 37 years removed with some or a lot of bronco fans saying elway played a huge role in the three sb wins do you think its kind of a wash that they would have fared similarly or is it that much of a reach that such a well supported team with a good owner would have done better , obviously conjecture just interested in anyone’s take , thanks .

Well, he was a really good lineman for sure, obviously they never would've gotten Elway, so they would've stayed with Steve DeBerg who was a decent quarterback and might've stayed with him a few years until another really good qb would've been available in the draft. So I'd say they would've won more games than they would've lost, but who knows who next in line would've been and if they would've seen a Super Bowl with that qb?

Comment

Yeah its interesting , possible qb’s , 1984 boomer esiason i think would have needed to trade up to get him , 85 randall cunningham , frank reich , steve bono , i didn’t think much of kosar , 87 beating the 49ers to steve young with the advantage of not having a two time sb mvp already on the roster .

Just curious does anyone know why the broncos didn’t have a pick in the 86 draft until the 104th where they picked tackle jim juriga , thanks .

Comment

I think it’s fair to say the Broncos would not have had the success they had with Elway.

Also, Pat Bowlen was not the owner at the time they traded for Elway.

Maybe he doesn’t buy the team if he doesn’t see a quarterback he believes in already on the team. Hard to say since I don’t know if his reasons for buying the team were ever thoroughly reported.
        My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
        You Mad Bro?
        Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by dbfansincefeb87 View Post
          Just curious on how you’d guess the broncos would have fared sticking with hinton with no thought whatsoever of trading with the then baltimore colts for anyone , bearing in mind hinton was a 7 time pro bowler and 2 time first team all pro , 37 years removed with some or a lot of bronco fans saying elway played a huge role in the three sb wins do you think its kind of a wash that they would have fared similarly or is it that much of a reach that such a well supported team with a good owner would have done better , obviously conjecture just interested in anyone’s take , thanks .
          This is like an episode of Star Trek when they go back in time and change something.

In their first thirteen years of existence, the Denver Broncos had one non-losing season (7-7 in 1962) quarterbacked by Frank Tripucka. The first winning season (7-5-2 in 1973) was quarterbacked by Charley Johnson. Between Tripucka and Johnson twelve different QBs started games for Denver. The total number of QBs prior to the first winning season is probably about twenty in a thirteen year span.

Between Johnson and Morton, three different QBs started. In Morton's last season for the Broncos (1982, the strike season) Steve DeBerg started more games than Craig.

From 1983 through 1998, John Elway was Denver's QB. In 1983, Denver drafted Gary Kubiak who was Elway's backup through 1991 before ultimately becoming his OC. That's sixteen years with one QB who led the Broncos to five SB appearances and won two of them. Chris Hinton had a long career with three teams that ended three years before Elway.

What has happened to Denver's QB situation since Elway should give an idea of the difficulty in finding a good QB. That is why it is so premature IMO for so many to be willing to kick Drew Lock to the curb.

Chris Hinton vs. John Elway? No question. I'll go Elway in a heartbeat every single time.

Food for thought: Right now there are four QBs in Denver's ROF; Frank Tripucka, Charley Johnson, Craig Morton and John Elway. Neither they nor the next QB into the ROF (i.e., Manning) were drafted by Denver.
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Between Johnson and Morton, three different QBs started.
            Let's see how good my memory is...Steve Ramsey, Craig Penrose and John Hufnagel?

Comment

Originally posted by East Coast Fan View Post

Let's see how good my memory is...Steve Ramsey, Craig Penrose and John Hufnagel?
              Yes. Those were the guys, I believe.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Working...
              X