Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is accountable for yesterday's embarrassment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is accountable for yesterday's embarrassment?

People need to lose their jobs for what happened yesterday...

Roger Goodell should have been fired a long time ago... The idea that this was his solution is absurd and insulting.

Who is going to be disciplined in the Denver organization for the QB staffing meltdown? This cannot happen in a multi billion $$ organization. If a Wall Street firm botched staffing this badly - someone would be fired on the spot.

Nobody holds anybody accountable in this organization since Pat Bowlen's demise.

How could the NFL let their product be tarnished like this, and put Broncos in a position to get injured along the way? I'm not willing to move on from yesterday until some heads start rolling... Preferably from both the NFL and the Broncos org.

From a business standpoint -- yesterday was a failure of epic proportions... The type of damage to a brand that is tough to overcome - an unforced error that did permanent damage to reputations. The absolute incompetence of everyone for allowing this to happen should be a permanent stain.

Comment

To push back many other games and to force the Broncos to play on Sunday without a QB when a QB would have been available Monday has damaged the brand of the NFL and the Broncos imo.

If I were the TV network I would be asking for some money back on those TV contracts. People pay to see the QBs play
      Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

This is a weird season because of COVID and some of the chaos in a League which has been inconsistent and unfair is really just representative of chaos all over the world during this pandemic. Because of this, no heads will roll.

IMO, this latest travesty is mostly on Roger Goodell but some is on Joe Ellis too, as the highest ranking member of the Pat Bowlen Trust/owner-by-proxy who really should have stood up against the mistreatment of the Broncos by the League in this situation.

From the Denver Post:

Down: NFL office. The people running the show on Park Avenue in Manhattan compromised the integrity of a regular-season game by benching all three healthy Broncos quarterbacks. After Denver bent over backwards to accommodate New England earlier this season — moving its bye week — the franchise deserved better. So, too, did Kendall Hinton.

“I’m going to pass on a comment right now. Wouldn’t be wise,” said Broncos president Joe Ellis, replying by text message shortly after the playoff-bound Saints got a gimme at Denver’s expense.

Ellis is afraid of upsetting the applecart, of losing his position if the League forces the sale of the Broncos which could accelerate if he decided to push the matter.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016
        2021 Adopted Bronco: Von Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Buff_bronc_fan View Post
          People need to lose their jobs for what happened yesterday...

Roger Goodell should have been fired a long time ago... The idea that this was his solution is absurd and insulting.

Who is going to be disciplined in the Denver organization for the QB staffing meltdown? This cannot happen in a multi billion $$ organization. If a Wall Street firm botched staffing this badly - someone would be fired on the spot.

Nobody holds anybody accountable in this organization since Pat Bowlen's demise.

How could the NFL let their product be tarnished like this, and put Broncos in a position to get injured along the way? I'm not willing to move on from yesterday until some heads start rolling... Preferably from both the NFL and the Broncos org.
          If you think or expect heads are going to roll in the NFL you might want to temper those expectations. If there is anything we have learned from Goodell's tenure is the NFL is above reproach and, at the best, will just "learn from their mistakes." The Ray Rice incident comes to mind first and foremost all the way down to hearing the announcers tell us yesterday during a game that should not have happened about other games being postponed. Basically what they have proven to be is inconsistent on anything of importance. Add Covid management to the list.

It was petty and silly and made the entire league look stupid all at the same time. Oh, what's the status on Lindsay's injury?

Goodell seems to prefer to run the business like a mob boss whom you dare not cross. The sacrifice of the Broncos yesterday proved little else and if someone is canned from the Broncos (doubt it) more the better for Goodell, cause, you know, that'll teach them...

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post

If you think or expect heads are going to roll in the NFL you might want to temper those expectations. If there is anything we have learned from Goodell's tenure is the NFL is above reproach and, at the best, will just "learn from their mistakes." The Ray Rice incident comes to mind first and foremost all the way down to hearing the announcers tell us yesterday during a game that should not have happened about other games being postponed. Basically what they have proven to be is inconsistent on anything of importance. Add Covid management to the list.

It was petty and silly and made the entire league look stupid all at the same time. Oh, what's the status on Lindsay's injury?

Goodell seems to prefer to run the business like a mob boss whom you dare not cross. The sacrifice of the Broncos yesterday proved little else and if someone is canned from the Broncos (doubt it) more the better for Goodell, cause, you know, that'll teach them...

Comment

Originally posted by L.M. View Post
              This is a weird season because of COVID and some of the chaos in a League which has been inconsistent and unfair is really just representative of chaos all over the world during this pandemic. Because of this, no heads will roll.

IMO, this latest travesty is mostly on Roger Goodell but some is on Joe Ellis too, as the highest ranking member of the Pat Bowlen Trust/owner-by-proxy who really should have stood up against the mistreatment of the Broncos by the League in this situation.

From the Denver Post:

Down: NFL office. The people running the show on Park Avenue in Manhattan compromised the integrity of a regular-season game by benching all three healthy Broncos quarterbacks. After Denver bent over backwards to accommodate New England earlier this season — moving its bye week — the franchise deserved better. So, too, did Kendall Hinton.

“I’m going to pass on a comment right now. Wouldn’t be wise,” said Broncos president Joe Ellis, replying by text message shortly after the playoff-bound Saints got a gimme at Denver’s expense.

Ellis is afraid of upsetting the applecart, of losing his position if the League forces the sale of the Broncos which could accelerate if he decided to push the matter.
              I'm not a fan of Ellis, but I really don't get that from that comment. I think he knows that if he says anything then he and the franchise are going to suffer heavy fines from him doing so. Why comment and do that when it's going to do no good? He can (and likely will) make his feelings well known behind closed doors at the next ownership meeting.

Him making public comments won't "upset the apple cart" in his job security, right now he's essentially the controlling owner of the franchise because the trust gave him that position. Goodell can't remove that for comments made in public. Nor can the league force the sale of the franchise over any comments he'd make on the matter. Those two things are decisions that can only be made by the 31 other owners, Goodell works for them and doesn't have the individual power to revoke ownership rights without it being approved.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

I'm not a fan of Ellis, but I really don't get that from that comment. I think he knows that if he says anything then he and the franchise are going to suffer heavy fines from him doing so. Why comment and do that when it's going to do no good? He can (and likely will) make his feelings well known behind closed doors at the next ownership meeting.

Him making public comments won't "upset the apple cart" in his job security, right now he's essentially the controlling owner of the franchise because the trust gave him that position. Goodell can't remove that for comments made in public. Nor can the league force the sale of the franchise over any comments he'd make on the matter. Those two things are decisions that can only be made by the 31 other owners, Goodell works for them and doesn't have the individual power to revoke ownership rights without it being approved.
                The League can personally fine an owner (or one by proxy) for standing up to it? I've never heard of such a thing. If this had been the Cowboys instead, Jones would have stood up and he has a lot of pull with the rest of the owners, so there's no way it would have occurred.

Yes, indirectly, Ellis' current job security is dependent on good relations with the Godfather because if the team sells then his job goes too, and Goodell can push the matter in the next meeting.

Comment

Who's to blame? In this troubled year, there are so many to blame. In my opinion, many have failed, far too many to discipline. I will say though, that I was a little harsh on our guys, though I strongly believe you need to understand the rules, follow them, and even go the extra step in a situation like this...because the penalties are getting harsher. Draft picks. Lets not go there if we can.

If I step back, I commended both The NHL and NBA for the way they approached the pandemic, and made it work through bubble environments, testing and model monitoring and focus. Both leagues were hardly if tarnished at all, other than the obvious..... no fans in the stands (other than a very small few I believe, near the end). But that was all understood, and in both cases, the champions were worthy champions. Baseball did not go the bubble route, and initially it paid. But it was fairly successful in the end....too bad Turner did not comply with his positive test, but that's on him and anyone who allowed it.

Regardless, The NFL is a revenue generating machine, and led by powerful people. I am not a big fan of some of them, including Goodell. But I do appreciate the difficulties of running this league, in these times. Many of the players/coaches have messed up, and it does not make The NFL's job easier. Neither is the travel, and the freedoms given the members that The NHL and NBA did not offer. So this was almost inevitable in my books.

Has the league been clear and straightforward on the processes and execution thereof....not really believing that! And though I was ticked at our guys for yesterday's situation, it did wreak of confusion in execution, and pretty much guaranteed a loss to our team. BUT, if you don't want to be guilty, try to stay innocent.

Again, since the day this pandemic began to rage, overseas, and then in North America, there are so many folks who failed. So in the end we all pay for the messes we witness/experience. But I know one thing....The NFL will follow the dollar. And folks need to know the rules and enforce them, and if unfair, someone should speak up about it.
                  Last edited by CanDB; 11-30-2020, 01:35 PM.

Comment

The NFL. They just postponed Ravens x Steelers. Again. They could have penalized the Broncos and still move the game like they're doing with everyone else. Ravens players threatening to strike was a competitive issue, not a medical issue. Double standard by the league. Maybe the Broncos got trampled because they don't have an owner.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                      The NFL. They just postponed Ravens x Steelers. Again. They could have penalized the Broncos and still move the game like they're doing with everyone else. Ravens players threatening to strike was a competitive issue, not a medical issue. Double standard by the league. Maybe the Broncos got trampled because they don't have an owner.
                      Basically boils down to not playoff bound...Again!

And the fact that the lowly Broncos beating the Saints would be an embarrassment...
                      [sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post

Basically boils down to not playoff bound...Again!

And the fact that the lowly Broncos beating the Saints would be an embarrassment...
                        It would of happened 2 if Denver were allowed to play their QB

Comment

Originally posted by L.M. View Post

From the Denver Post:

I would like to see Joe Ellis do something....maybe he is protecting his position but everything in life is temporary...he will move onto something else sooner or later.

His team needed him to make a stand...he should have done something before the game. Refusing to comment now is pretty much what he has been doing this whole time....nothing. It is very difficult to hold back from getting straight medieval negative on Joe Ellis right now.
                          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Who's to blame ? It sure isn't our Qb room. It came out they were wearing masks unless eating and drinking . This is all just bull . The NFL has shown favoritism by allowing other teams to postpone numerous times .

Want to know who's to blame ?.....its covid 19 . Look around at the world . We haven't been the only ones getting it . You can't stop it , you can only try and defend against it..

Millions of people out there are getting it while taking precautions. Its just how it is. Its a blooming virus for crying out loud . The NFL left the Broncos out to dry imo. Shame on them

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                              Because the Ravens threatened not to play if they weren't given a day to practice. Makes me wonder what would have happened had we used a bit of brinkmanship to force the NFL's hand. I seem to remember the Titans doing the same at the start of the season. Maybe we just blinked too soon?

Comment

Working...
                              X