the nfl retirement policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the nfl retirement policy

I dont know if any of you watched the segment on HBO's real sports, but the nfl policy on retired players and there pension is complete crap.

If any of you guys know anything on the subject, please shed some light on it!

Thanks

JC
    sigpic

I have heard stories about it too. Players from the 80's- the present are not really affected because they have made lots of money, but rather players from the 60's-70's.

Comment

As long as you made a bunch of money throughout the years you've played I honestly don't see what the problem is.

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx
        As long as you made a bunch of money throughout the years you've played I honestly don't see what the problem is.
        That is exactly the problem....players who played in the 60's and 70's didn't make much money, they had second jobs in the offseason...and more importantly, they are old, and need care which the NFL's pension fails to provide.

Comment

Originally posted by sneakers
          That is exactly the problem....players who played in the 60's and 70's didn't make much money, they had second jobs in the offseason...and more importantly, they are old, and need care which the NFL's pension fails to provide.
          That was then this is now, some of us still have to have more than one job...thank goodness I am not one of em.
          Helping rock the Stadium on game day!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco4l1fe
            That was then this is now, some of us still have to have more than one job...thank goodness I am not one of em.
            true.... but most of us don't have a job that completely destroys our body. The pension needs to be revamped a bit...but the problem is that you don't hear any of the good things the NFL is doing for their players in segments like this. THeir main complaint is the procedures that you have to go through in order to get any pension..but thats the way it is for many pension plans. Ask anyone in the military. Mike Golic was on the Radio along with Gene Upshaw, and they were disgussing this very topic. Both Mike and Gene made some VERY good points on how well the NFL pension is working. This is not only a player, but the head of the player's union saying this. So I honestly don't think its as bad as some of the reports seem to indicate. Anyone can make any program appear horrible if you just have a few bad cases.

Comment

To be honest I really dont care if they played in the 50's 60's 80's or now. Its your chocie on what profession you want to do as u get older. Its not my proplem that they are old, i pay taxes and pay for social security which most collect right now. Its not my fault they where not smart with their money. I know people that worked in the 50's 60's and so on, and they have no proplem.
              What should we do with people that worked for a company 15years or 10years and the company goes under what about thouse people's pension? what do we say, sorry to bad? I dont care when you played, learn how to take care of your money!
              Yes Nfl players make a crap load money now days. But didn't Nfl players make more money then the Avreage Joe in the 50's 60's 70's??? Yea u could say well some did if they where ALL STAR TYPE. well same goes today not all NFL players make Millions. Some only make a few 100k when theres people in the USA that make that at other Jobs. So dont come crying to me because of an NFL pension, when there is a crap load of people on this board that have played football, and would give their left nut, and be more then happy to take 100k even 30k a year to go play footbal in the NFL. I know I would!

Comment

According to Forbes, the average NFL salary in the 1970s was about 23k a year. That's about 123k in today's dollars. So they were definately making a good deal of money. I think a lot of them probably squandered their cash, but most people aren't smart with their money. Also you need to take into account that their career wasn't anywhere near as long as a typical career path in America. Average NFL career probably lasts 12 years max. Most people will work in their choosen career for 20+ years.

IMO, that isn't really the point. The NFL has gotten to wear it is because of those players, and they deserve to reap some of those rewards in regards to a better pension.

I don't really think the current player base cares enough, I mean the players who are most effected by this issue, quit playing before most current NFL players were born.

Comment

Working...
                X