Are the Broncos out of shape?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the Broncos out of shape?

I have been noticing this the past couple of years, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Several players seem to be gasping for air even before the middle of the secong quarter. We get these huge leads all the time only to throw them away. The Chargers can tell you that. I think 3 out of the 4 streak losses this year, we were up heading into the fourth quarter.

Now how can this be because they live, train and play in mile high all the time? Well my answer would be that the coaches are not putting enough pressure in training camp and in the weight room to make sure these guys have the endurance come game time. I dont think they mean to give up or have a "hang on to the lead" mentality but they basically seem out of shape at times. Cardio needs to be a priority come camp time.

Another suggestion is to cut players that even seem lazy. Foster, Brown, and Myers all seem very lazy to me. That itself can be a cancer in the locker room. So many times we think a cancer can be a character issure or attitude problem but a lack of dedication and hard work is one of the most lethal cancers that a locker room could get. It seems to be building every year so we need to cut all players that are lazy, out of shape and lack the drive to be successful.

We need players that can play all 4 quarters and not give up....EVER!
    Last edited by DenBronx; 01-28-2007, 10:00 AM.
    sigpic

I think we need more heart. And the air up there is pretty thin might I add.

But i would say we have some athletes so I doubt being out of shape is an issue.
    MMA News
    MMA News 247

Comment

Well . . .

I wondered the same thing several times last season. This team plays at a mile high.
      The other teams don't. Then why is it the Broncos' defense that has the reputation
      for wearing down late in the game? It should be the other team!

I don't know what they do for wind sprints and other forms of cardiopulmonary
      exercises, but I wonder whether they should be doing more of it, and I have
      wondered that for some time.

-----

Comment

Originally posted by champbronc2
        I think we need more heart. And the air up there is pretty thin might I add.

But i would say we have some athletes so I doubt being out of shape is an issue.

the thin air should be a non factor for them by now.

remember the frozen tundra. it seemed like no one could go into lambeau stadium and get a win because they were not used to playing in the snow or freezing cold. well it should be the same way when they come to mile high but it seems to be the opposite. it was like we were the ones that got gassed first.
        sigpic

Comment

I think that it really is a question of depth, and unfortunately we don't have a lot of quality depth at key positions. There are a number of reasons for why this is the case, but I really don't want to go into them right now.

If you have a lot of depth, at d-line for example, then you can rotate guys throughout the entire game and they will all still be relatively fresh in the 4th quarter. You also won't see a dropoff in performance because if they are quality guys then they will get the job done when they are on the field. However, when you have injuries to positions or you don't have quality backups then you can't or won't be able to rotate as many guys and they will get tired as the game progresses. It also really doesn't help when those players are on the field for the whole damn game.

I don't think that they are lazy as much as they got SERIOUSLY OVERWORKED last season. We didn't have enough quality guys to rotate in enough for how long they were on the field game after game. Then when guys went down to injuries it only made the situation worse. Who knows, maybe those guys are lazy, but if you are working your ass of for most of the four quarters that you are playing over a 16 game schedule I would be willing to bet that you would be pretty darn tired by the end of that stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
            I wondered the same thing several times last season. This team plays at a mile high.
            The other teams don't. Then why is it the Broncos' defense that has the reputation
            for wearing down late in the game? It should be the other team!

I don't know what they do for wind sprints and other forms of cardiopulmonary
            exercises, but I wonder whether they should be doing more of it, and I have
            wondered that for some time.

-----

top, could it be the trainers are not pussing these guys? maybe the leaders are not setting an example?

i could name several teams that have a lack of talent but you can tell they have been pussed into excellence and they end up winning!
            sigpic

Comment

I disagree strongly that Myers is lazy.

He had plenty of tackles. How did he get those?

He might not be skilled in clogging the run or rushing the passer, but often he ran in pursuit and caught the guy after he broke through the LOS.

Something I haven't seen people like Warren do, for example.

Brown is not lazy, just injury prone.

Foster? Eh who cares. Trade/cut.
              sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
              Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

Originally posted by DenBronx
                top, could it be the trainers are not pussing these guys? maybe the leaders are not setting an example?

i could name several teams that have a lack of talent but you can tell they have been pussed into excellence and they end up winning!
                Uh . . . you mean pushed?

I occasionally get the impression that some of them have already been pussed.

-----

Comment

the thin air should be a non factor for them by now.

remember the frozen tundra. it seemed like no one could go into lambeau stadium and get a win because they were not used to playing in the snow or freezing cold. well it should be the same way when they come to mile high but it seems to be the opposite. it was like we were the ones that got gassed first.
                  Well, lost in that comment is that both teams are playing in the same air during their
                  game. Which I believe is the implication of your post.

-----

Comment

Originally posted by jlarsiii
                    I think that it really is a question of depth, and unfortunately we don't have a lot of quality depth at key positions. There are a number of reasons for why this is the case, but I really don't want to go into them right now.

If you have a lot of depth, at d-line for example, then you can rotate guys throughout the entire game and they will all still be relatively fresh in the 4th quarter. You also won't see a dropoff in performance because if they are quality guys then they will get the job done when they are on the field. However, when you have injuries to positions or you don't have quality backups then you can't or won't be able to rotate as many guys and they will get tired as the game progresses. It also really doesn't help when those players are on the field for the whole damn game.

I don't think that they are lazy as much as they got SERIOUSLY OVERWORKED last season. We didn't have enough quality guys to rotate in enough for how long they were on the field game after game. Then when guys went down to injuries it only made the situation worse. Who knows, maybe those guys are lazy, but if you are working your ass of for most of the four quarters that you are playing over a 16 game schedule I would be willing to bet that you would be pretty darn tired by the end of that stretch.

ok, so why is it demanded that the QB play all 4 quarters??? most running backs play all 4 quarters! these are the toughest positions anyhow. these guys play in the NFL, they are getting tons and tons of money to play at a high level, so endurance and lack of depth should never be an excuse.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
                      Uh . . . you mean pushed?

I occasionally get the impression that some of them have already been pussed.

-----
                      roflol! yeah i meant pushing! but could go either way eh?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lorcust
                        I disagree strongly that Myers is lazy.

He had plenty of tackles. How did he get those?

He might not be skilled in clogging the run or rushing the passer, but often he ran in pursuit and caught the guy after he broke through the LOS.

Something I haven't seen people like Warren do, for example.

Brown is not lazy, just injury prone.

Foster? Eh who cares. Trade/cut.
                        This last year, I don't believe Warren was capable of a whole lot of that, with his toe
                        problem. However, I am not so incredulous at the charge of laziness, although I'm
                        not so sure it involves the mentioned players. After all, D-Will was very verbose
                        about the same issue, as was Rod Smith on occasion. If there is laziness on the
                        team, then it's about time to get rid of the deadwood, wouldn't you say?

-----

Comment

Sure they could work on their Stamina but when the offense cannot be on the field long enough to give they breaks, of course they will get tired
                          sigpic

Comment

ok, so why is it demanded that the QB play all 4 quarters??? most running backs play all 4 quarters! these are the toughest positions anyhow. these guys play in the NFL, they are getting tons and tons of money to play at a high level, so endurance and lack of depth should never be an excuse.
                            Why don't you compare energy expenditure between the positions. Do you think that a qb uses as much energy during a game as a d-linemen? How about if the qb only has 27 plays that game and the d-linemen has 62? There is no way that you could ever say that playing qb uses the same energy as an offfensive or defensive linemen!

You oversimplified your arguement. And I am not trying to make excuses for guys who make WAAAAAAY too much money in my opinion (by that I mean all professional athletes not just football players). But to think that depth and endurance are not factors is just plain wrong. I am sorry but if you only have three DTs and four DEs and they play most of the game for a whole 16 game schedule then they are going to tire out. Now, lets say that two of them get injured in the third game and are out for a couple of games so your other guys are on the field even more getting pounded on.

Don't tell me that depth is an excuse. It is a very vital part of this game, and it is why trying to create a 53 man roster can be so daunting. If your second and third stringers suck then your team is going to get waxed as soon as they start losing first stringers. It is a huge part of the game. Your special teams suffer and so on, but that is a tangent to the point of this thread.

All I am trying to do is to provide another viewpoint besides the "these guys are lazy and that is why we lost games" one. I believe that they got worn out by the end of the season because they spent too much time on the field all season long and we didn't have the depth to keep them fresh. That is why we tailed off towards the end of the season. They were spent. . . .

Comment

I can answer for this year.

When your offensive can't put together a decent drive you tire out your defensive pretty quick.

Notice how we had a outstanding defensive start and then kinda hitt a road block (few injuries too) because of very short offensive drives.

Comment

Working...
                              X