Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who would you bring in at QB during the offseason, and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jpark31
    replied
    Alex Smith is who I would bring in as the backup... he has a ton of experience and Lock could learn a lot from him... although he may be able to beat Lock out in training camp...

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied
    criminal investigation!!

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post

The simple fact is that Watson's contract accounts for twice as much of cap as any QB to ever win the SB in the cap era.
    Aside from that he would cost a ton of picks before this legal situation came up.

Individual performance stats that do not correlate to victory are quite irrelevant. The role of the QB is not to have great individual stats and highlight reels, but more than anything to lead the team. Levels of talent does not vary that much from team to team unless they really make a large amount of bad decisions over a long period of time.

The fact that the Texans locker room was an absolute mess according to Bradley Roby rest on the leaders of the team, and no one moreso than the QB. We have seen it several times in recent Broncos history where ex the defense played off the offense - defense played much better with Plummer than with Cutler, much better with Tebow than with Orton, when Peyton came in w17 of 2015 the whole team calmed down and played better. The QB has to lead the team and Watson has failed there, and irrespective of talent there is no sensible way of jutifying the cost in other talent and money.
    I am not talking purely stats, though stats are not exactly a bad thing. No one was complaining here when Manning broke those records and we were scoring big!! But that's too much of an oversimplification, because good QBs usually have good stats.

I realize this legal case can overshadow anything folks used to say about Watson. Folks tend to forget the "pre" days.

From simply a stats perspective:

4 years in The NFL, and 3 Pro Bowls (fantastic! how do you even get voted to the pro bowl on a near bottom team, with a lousy rush game and poor D....passing is part of it, but defenders could load up on him, given the poor run game0

Average Rate of 104.5, highest in '20 at 112.4 (lowest was a solid 98)

1,677rushing yards and 17 TDs

Led team to playoffs twice, and won one round

What happened in '20 is much more about management than Watson. The leadership has made terrible decisions, and from what I gather (I could be wrong), Watson's inputs were not welcome. Most starters I have read about have has some input in the future of their team, even if it is just about potential draft picks. And if a team that has a great young QB does not listen, they are out of touch. Why on earth would you not care about a young 3 year pro bowler QB's views? If that's even partially true, it speaks volumes about an organization, and validates their collapse as a team.

Is it Watson's fault that they have traded so much equity?? I have not heard of one person who approved the Hopkins deal. But that was just one of the poor decisions. And is it Watson's fault that Houston was near the bottom in D and in rushing game?? Any football minded person knows that you are unlikely to do well with bottom feeder rushing games and D.

Oh and there's this JJ dude, who basically apologized by saying they let Watson down this past season. I trust JJ's word over most in the game.
    Last edited by CanDB; Today, 09:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BroncoFanDK
    replied
    Originally posted by CanDB View Post

I think we all know that Watson's situation is on hold, at minimum, for some time to come. But as for the bolded part, I disagree with you. Strictly as a young QB, he is by far one of the best on the planet. Check his stats, even last year, with a crumbling organization around him and his mates, making one bad decision after another. Check the performance of his D, and his team's rushing game. He was almost an island in a stormy sea. And he has led his team into the playoffs, as young as he was.

We've got discussions in more than one place about his legal situation, but if folks want to talk about player performance, and value (yes, he would have cost us some good capital, but in my opinion, that's the price you may want to pay to have a young, franchise QB....and allow you to build the other parts of your team in due course). Paton is apparently a high quality resource manager, which translates to finding players at different pay scales to fulfill your overall needs. Losing some draft picks, maybe a player or two, is worth it, if it gives you stability in the QB position, and refocuses your depth chart to finding nice pieces, even if not expensive ones initially. There are various ways to put teams together. In my opinion, having a stud young QB, along with a nice O overall (which will no doubt have gotten better this coming year), and a possible top 5 D, would have made The Broncos a real competitive threat.
    The simple fact is that Watson's contract accounts for twice as much of cap as any QB to ever win the SB in the cap era.
    Aside from that he would cost a ton of picks before this legal situation came up.

Individual performance stats that do not correlate to victory are quite irrelevant. The role of the QB is not to have great individual stats and highlight reels, but more than anything to lead the team. Levels of talent does not vary that much from team to team unless they really make a large amount of bad decisions over a long period of time.

The fact that the Texans locker room was an absolute mess according to Bradley Roby rest on the leaders of the team, and no one moreso than the QB. We have seen it several times in recent Broncos history where ex the defense played off the offense - defense played much better with Plummer than with Cutler, much better with Tebow than with Orton, when Peyton came in w17 of 2015 the whole team calmed down and played better. The QB has to lead the team and Watson has failed there, and irrespective of talent there is no sensible way of jutifying the cost in other talent and money.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post

So true!

It seems like some have and promote agendas that equal the mentalities that led to lynchings in the past, and the woman that Watson has allegedly assaulted are in massive danger from both intimidation and from physical harm. The situation that Watson has put himself in does not fit the narrative that some push.

Aside from Watson being a QB that was unable to elevate Texans to relevance and carrying an insane price tag that would cripple the Broncos for years to come, we need to stay far away from him!
    I think we all know that Watson's situation is on hold, at minimum, for some time to come. But as for the bolded part, I disagree with you. Strictly as a young QB, he is by far one of the best on the planet. Check his stats, even last year, with a crumbling organization around him and his mates, making one bad decision after another. Check the performance of his D, and his team's rushing game. He was almost an island in a stormy sea. And he has led his team into the playoffs, as young as he was.

We've got discussions in more than one place about his legal situation, but if folks want to talk about player performance, and value (yes, he would have cost us some good capital, but in my opinion, that's the price you may want to pay to have a young, franchise QB....and allow you to build the other parts of your team in due course). Paton is apparently a high quality resource manager, which translates to finding players at different pay scales to fulfill your overall needs. Losing some draft picks, maybe a player or two, is worth it, if it gives you stability in the QB position, and refocuses your depth chart to finding nice pieces, even if not expensive ones initially. There are various ways to put teams together. In my opinion, having a stud young QB, along with a nice O overall (which will no doubt have gotten better this coming year), and a possible top 5 D, would have made The Broncos a real competitive threat.

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied
    Why did the women have to identify themselves before Watson would admit to “consensual” acts?

If it was all consensual, wasn’t it true before they identified themselves or were ordered to do so?

It’s baffling that there are people that want to trade for him before he’s resolved these issues.

There’s still the matter of the criminal investigation as well.

Leave a comment:

• BroncoFanDK
    replied
    Originally posted by FR Tim View Post

Just to clear. If 5-7 provide their names will you believe it is truthful? Partially extortion instead “ purely” extortion?

I would not be surprised to see the number of accusers go down too. Some will likely not want the public scrutiny and unwanted internet humiliation that is almost certain to follow. The two accusers that already went public are getting trolled, faced with intimidation, and even death threats. There are victim shield laws for a reason. There is also a reason that Watsons lawyer petitioned to force the public release of the names instead of settling for release to defense council only.

Bringing in Watson is an emphatic “no” IMO.

Even being kind, his baggage is way too much for any desire to bring him in as the face of the Bronco franchise. Find it tough to find any reason that logically explains away over at least 40 masseuses that we know of. How many have not come forward? Some barely out of school or advertising over the internet. He has access to approved experienced professionals yet he seems to seek out inexperienced and isolated masseuses. His behavior is predatory IMO.

No matter how this plays out in number of accusers, how many he pays off to remain silent or even the NFL slap on the wrist they will give him. Keep him away from the Broncos. His behavior tells its own story. He is a PR nightmare. Or will be until some PR genius finds a way to spin his behavior into a sympathetic character struggling with a sexual addiction.

There are other QB options. Broncos can and should choose one. As of today, I would bring in Smith to support Lock and the team. Easy simple solution to the QB issue this year.
    So true!

It seems like some have and promote agendas that equal the mentalities that led to lynchings in the past, and the woman that Watson has allegedly assaulted are in massive danger from both intimidation and from physical harm. The situation that Watson has put himself in does not fit the narrative that some push.

Aside from Watson being a QB that was unable to elevate Texans to relevance and carrying an insane price tag that would cripple the Broncos for years to come, we need to stay far away from him!

Leave a comment:

• BiscuitBronco
    replied
    I don't wish to get involved in discussion about Watson, except to say I wouldn't consider him at this time.

For me, the clear choice is to bring in Alex Smith, however I think Denver will take a first round QB in the draft.

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied
    13 women were ordered to identify themselves or have their cases dismissed.

It was reported on the radio that the other nine had already agreed to identify themselves.

Leave a comment:

• rst08tierney
    replied
    Originally posted by broncolee View Post

9 women have agreed to put their name on it.
    read the article again.

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied
    Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post

At this point 22 women need to release their full names. Would not be surprised to see the number of accusers drastically drop. If the number shrinks between 3-5 you know this was purely extortion.
    9 women have agreed to put their name on it.

Leave a comment:

• FR Tim
    replied
    Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post

At this point 22 women need to release their full names. Would not be surprised to see the number of accusers drastically drop. If the number shrinks between 3-5 you know this was purely extortion.
    Just to clear. If 5-7 provide their names will you believe it is truthful? Partially extortion instead “ purely” extortion?

I would not be surprised to see the number of accusers go down too. Some will likely not want the public scrutiny and unwanted internet humiliation that is almost certain to follow. The two accusers that already went public are getting trolled, faced with intimidation, and even death threats. There are victim shield laws for a reason. There is also a reason that Watsons lawyer petitioned to force the public release of the names instead of settling for release to defense council only.

Bringing in Watson is an emphatic “no” IMO.

Even being kind, his baggage is way too much for any desire to bring him in as the face of the Bronco franchise. Find it tough to find any reason that logically explains away over at least 40 masseuses that we know of. How many have not come forward? Some barely out of school or advertising over the internet. He has access to approved experienced professionals yet he seems to seek out inexperienced and isolated masseuses. His behavior is predatory IMO.

No matter how this plays out in number of accusers, how many he pays off to remain silent or even the NFL slap on the wrist they will give him. Keep him away from the Broncos. His behavior tells its own story. He is a PR nightmare. Or will be until some PR genius finds a way to spin his behavior into a sympathetic character struggling with a sexual addiction.

There are other QB options. Broncos can and should choose one. As of today, I would bring in Smith to support Lock and the team. Easy simple solution to the QB issue this year.
    Last edited by FR Tim; 04-09-2021, 02:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rst08tierney
    replied

Why do you even try? Some will dismiss anything in their desperate attempt to see Watson in a Bronco uniform.

So invested in the “innocent until proven guilty” narrative I would not be surprised to see them booking their sisters, daughters or mothers for massage sessions if they thought it would help getting him on the field. Because “what do we really know”?

Leave a comment:

• skeeter01
    replied

Why do you even try? Some will dismiss anything in their desperate attempt to see Watson in a Bronco uniform.

So invested in the “innocent until proven guilty” narrative I would not be surprised to see them booking their sisters, daughters or mothers for massage sessions if they thought it would help getting him on the field. Because “what do we really know”?
    hahahaha, good chuckle

Leave a comment:

• FR Tim
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

I don't care if he's "free" No matter the cost, poison is always 100% poison.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X