New GM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by darryn16 View Post

This is not a promotion. This is Ellis 'diplomatically' moving Elway out of the way. Saying it was a step up to be the "bigger picture" guy is just softer way of putting Elway out to pasture without outright firing him.
    Oh, OK, thanks for clarifying that!
    (I was kind of being facetious)

Us here on the message board know exactly what's going on in Broncos headquarters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post

Oh, OK, thanks for clarifying that!
      (I was kind of being facetious)

Us here on the message board know exactly what's going on in Broncos headquarters.

No worries! I would rather see Fangio shown the door, but oh well....

Comment

This is not a promotion. This is Ellis 'diplomatically' moving Elway out of the way. Saying it was a step up to be the "bigger picture" guy is just softer way of putting Elway out to pasture without outright firing him.
        I mean Elway already held the VP of Football Operations title and GM was just an additional job for him when they streamlined a bunch of positions around the time Elway was hired. Elway actually said he wasn’t interested in being a GM when he was hired so this was probably something he’s wanted to do for awhile now.
        Last edited by beastlyskronk; 01-05-2021, 05:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Acedude View Post

Joe Ellis sells the team? No, he can't do so. Ellis needs the Bowlen children to sign off on that. So the best bet is Britney, who Ellis has said he would like to see take control actually take control.

Ellis just keeps smarming his way in control, drawing a huge salary keeping the Bowlen's at arms length.
          You are right Ellis cannot sell the team, and the children have a legal challenge in the court this summer. I understand there is a time limit to pick one of the children, but this may be the year the NFL steps in and forces a sale.

300 million each to each child is the last figure I heard. upon a sale of the team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Acedude View Post

Joe Ellis sells the team? No, he can't do so. Ellis needs the Bowlen children to sign off on that. So the best bet is Britney, who Ellis has said he would like to see take control actually take control.

Ellis just keeps smarming his way in control, drawing a huge salary keeping the Bowlen's at arms length.
            That's not correct. Ellis needs the Bowlen children to sign off on one of them inheriting controlling interest of the team. He does not need them to sign off on selling the team - that power was granted to him and the trust by Pat Bowlen. Further, nothing is preventing the NFL from eventually stepping in and forcing a sale.
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post

That's not correct. Ellis needs the Bowlen children to sign off on one of them inheriting controlling interest of the team. He does not need them to sign off on selling the team - that power was granted to him and the trust by Pat Bowlen. Further, nothing is preventing the NFL from eventually stepping in and forcing a sale.
              Already being reported that the NFL wants to force a sell after the court situation is settled.
              sigpic
              Adopted Broncos:
              EmmanuelSanders

Comment

• I thought I heard the Broncos actually lose money on all the games with no fans in the seats. If this is true, and they are promoting Elway, putting Fangio on a pedestal to help pick his new boss, then hire a new GM and I think they said they may hire 2 more people, And none of the Bowlen heirs have any thing to say about this, are they just sucking more money out of the team?
                Seems so wrong, Ellis and Elway really think they deserve to own this team
                I hope the courts or the NFL force the team to be sold. This trust is so abusing and taking advantage of this sad situation.
                How would any of you guys feel about this if Pat Bowlen was your Dad?

I guess if Pat a daughter 10 years old they would say they are going to "groom" her to take over the team when both the JE s will be well into their 90s.

Who are they to say they pick Britteny over Beth or any other kid. Seems to me Beth would know alot more about business.
                Last edited by MrMax; 01-05-2021, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• The team is losing some $$$ because they get a % of concession sales. But that all impressive sharing TV revenues more than makes up for it.

As for sucking $$$ out of the team, not sure on this and I would Question this as Brittany is a VP and seems very smart.

Completely right on the Board taking advantage of the situation, and there is no incentive for them to name a successor.

Comment

• I still don’t see how you can saddle the new GM to Fangio.

I don’t have high hopes on finding a quality guy at the position.
                    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                    You Mad Bro?
                    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Most of us would like to believe this but it’s unlikely and here’s why, Joe Ellis has until March of 2022 to be compliance with sole ownership situation. A new owner will hire his own GM, therefore no credible GM candidate will want to come to uproot his family and move across the country to Denver for a single NFL season.

Unless the team is sold this off-season, it is more likely that John runs things behind the scenes. His title was GM, what the heck position could he possibly be elevated to at this point!

Both John and Joe don’t think much of the Denver community if they expect anyone to believe this garbage.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by qbronco View Post

I’m not sure they will be able to hire a good GM, if he isn’t given the latitude to decide on the head coach? It still feels like Elway will be controlling the puppet strings.
                        Was John Beake a good GM? Starting in 1981 the Broncos were bought by Edgar Kaiser, the organization hired Grady Alderman as the GM, replacing GM Fred Gehrke. They also hired Dan Reeves to be the HC that year. Grady was the GM in 1981, 1982 then Hein Poulus was the GM for the 1983 season; Dan Reeves was still the HC. Pat Bowlen then purchased the Broncos and John Beake was hired as the GM ... Dan Reeves still the HC for 9 more years.
                        During Reeves time with the Broncos it seemed that Reeves was typically given credit for the player/personnel performances/failures (mostly the failures), not necessarily Beake; maybe that is just my view and it could be inaccurate? John Beake was the GM all the way through the SB wins, Shanahan got most all the credit for the personnel during his time a HC but there was always a GM ... I would say Beake was a good GM but he was not the "face" of the Broncos while the GM ( like Elway is), he did accept the GM job with Reeves as the HC. I am not sure how much say Beake had in keeping Reeves or not? When Pat Bowlen took over ownership he did state that he wanted Dan to stay as HC. Reeves had a 21-20 record at that point over 3 seasons.
                        Elway has been involved in 20 of the 23 Broncos playoff wins in his 26 seasons as a player or Exec. In the other 35 seasons the Broncos have just 3 playoff wins. Of course the last 4-5 seasons have not been good but overall Elway has been the Broncos reason for success.
                        I think it can't hurt to have a GM on staff now, another mind to offer some insights on players and operations, even if Elway has "strings". When speculating, I imagine that Elway is looking at his last season with the Broncos in 2021 and it makes sense to bring in a GM now. Maybe the biggest concern/problem that a GM may have is that the organization could be sold and that could mean a short amount of time as the GM? Maybe not, a new owner could keep the GM too.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Looks like the team will be sold by May of next year. Per Joe Ellis, the NFL has given the Broncos a waiver on the one owner rule until that time. Elway is gone and so is Ellis as of March of next year. That leaves this next GM as the highest ranking member of the team when the new owner takes over.

This may mean the Broncos will try and get an established well thought of GM that the new owner will want to keep instead of a lesser known guy who might be on the chopping block after one year. Any smart candidate should be able to see this storm coming. Does that reduce the quality of candidates for this job?

If the Broncos get a lesser known guy, its possible that the new owner will just fire him next year and we'll be back to square one. Fangio is also likely on the chopping block after this next year with a totally new front office unless the Broncos start winning.

Comment

• peyton had everything to do with this teams success when he was here. the more that comes out about Mannings run here the less credit im giving to elway. Just watch this mans leadership for 5 minutes.....its everything.

https://youtu.be/0NvvtM3BNDU

Comment

• Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
                              peyton had everything to do with this teams success when he was here. the more that comes out about Mannings run here the less credit im giving to elway. Just watch this mans leadership for 5 minutes.....its everything.

https://youtu.be/0NvvtM3BNDU
                              How is Belichick as a GM without Brady? GM means nothing in comparison to QB. If you’re a front office that finds a way to get one of the GOAT QBs, you’re gonna look like a genius. Elway found a way to get one. And we got 2 SB appearances and a win because of it. If Elway wasn’t here, what are the odds we land Manning? Probably significantly less.

Take credit away from Elway all you want, the Denver Broncos will forever go down in history as the winners of Super Bowl 50 with Elway in charge.
                              Eternal Broncos Optimist

Comment

• Originally posted by Megalodon30 View Post

How is Belichick as a GM without Brady? GM means nothing in comparison to QB. If you’re a front office that finds a way to get one of the GOAT QBs, you’re gonna look like a genius. Elway found a way to get one. And we got 2 SB appearances and a win because of it. If Elway wasn’t here, what are the odds we land Manning? Probably significantly less.

Take credit away from Elway all you want, the Denver Broncos will forever go down in history as the winners of Super Bowl 50 with Elway in charge.
                                No doubt. No matter how much I criticize the team for not getting more SB's out of Manning, I can't take away from the fact Elway got him here and they won an SB.

Creds to Elway for putting together that SB50 defense and bringing in Kubes.
                                Last edited by DiveInstructor; 01-06-2021, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X