New GM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bfallona View Post
    I was hoping for the Saints guy, but am ok with Paton (so much for getting diverse). Like most of us here, I just want to see some progress. And he brings no Bronco baggage & has a long term contract to fix things here. No love for any player or coach etc. My biggest fear is selling the farm to get Matt Stafford. iIth our QB & Coaching issues we will see how good this guy is. IF we go after Stafford, not only will we need to part with players & draft picks, but he is set to make 40+ million this year. I would much rather see him try to get Teddy Bridgewater or Fitzmagic as a stop gap & see how Lock is next year.
    Doubt it would cost the farm to get Stafford. He also shouldn't be the prime target. Only a backup plan if targeting Darnold or Watson fails. Either way only Watson would cost the farm. Darnold would probably cost a second. Stafford would cost Lock and 4th or 5th.
    sigpic
    Adopted Broncos:
    EmmanuelSanders

Comment

• So with all the trouble we’ve had at finding a QB, we hire someone from the front office that decided it was a good idea to give huge money to Kirk Cousins...

Okay.

Hopefully we can make a decent run at Deshaun Watson. Otherwise, yikes!
      Eternal Broncos Optimist

Comment

• Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post

Doubt it would cost the farm to get Stafford. He also shouldn't be the prime target. Only a backup plan if targeting Darnold or Watson fails. Either way only Watson would cost the farm. Darnold would probably cost a second. Stafford would cost Lock and 4th or 5th.
        Darnold isn’t worth a second. If that’s what we have to give up to get him, it ain’t worth it.
        Eternal Broncos Optimist

Comment

• What makes this such an exciting hire aside from all the things you read on him is how hot a commodity he has been over the years, and he has turned down or rejected to interview with a lot of teams. A guy valued this highly should have been settled in a long time ago, but he has been very selective and ended up choosing the Broncos. That tells me he sees a lot in this team to like.

Comment

• As I sit back, I am convinced that the grade on this guy will be initially determined by his handling of the QB position. Then it will come down to his ability to assess strengths and weaknesses throughout the roster, and how he addresses them. I will also be curious as to his approach to FA and The Draft.

Lets hope he proves to be a solid selection for the job. GMs matter.

Comment

• I guess after reflecting a bit my initial reaction was probably just a knee-jerk to the trend of hires we've seen over the past 5 years. While I'm not excited about how the quarterback position has developed in Minnesota, I guess I am overlooking the fact that they also have a GM making decisions. Maybe Paton will take a different approach. I definitely wish him luck because I'd like to see things change around here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Megalodon30 View Post

Darnold isn’t worth a second. If that’s what we have to give up to get him, it ain’t worth it.
                Darnold's worth is an unknown, since he's mostly an known. Jets will start bids at a 2nd, he could go lower, but a desperate team will pay that 2nd. He won't go lower than a 4th unless NYJ really wants him gone. Empire Sports Media, a New York based site believe Sam is worth a 2nd and a 5th, not just a second by itself. He's 23yr and 2021 will be the final year on his rookie contract. He does have a 5th year option. There are even some who believe Jets might start the big at mid tier first round pick, bc there some mid tier teams in need of a QB.
                New England will be in the market, Pittsburgh might be in the market, Saints, Colts, Bears, etc. Darnold hasn't had a good team with a solid front office, any of those teams with him would give us all the chance to see if he's the real deal.

Notably I haven't seen Denver mentioned by any sites or articles. Which is surprising since Elway was high on Darnold.
                sigpic
                Adopted Broncos:
                EmmanuelSanders

Comment

• Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post

Darnold's worth is an unknown, since he's mostly an known. Jets will start bids at a 2nd, he could go lower, but a desperate team will pay that 2nd. He won't go lower than a 4th unless NYJ really wants him gone. Empire Sports Media, a New York based site believe Sam is worth a 2nd and a 5th, not just a second by itself. He's 23yr and 2021 will be the final year on his rookie contract. He does have a 5th year option. There are even some who believe Jets might start the big at mid tier first round pick, bc there some mid tier teams in need of a QB.
                  New England will be in the market, Pittsburgh might be in the market, Saints, Colts, Bears, etc. Darnold hasn't had a good team with a solid front office, any of those teams with him would give us all the chance to see if he's the real deal.

Notably I haven't seen Denver mentioned by any sites or articles. Which is surprising since Elway was high on Darnold.
                  Darnold’s worth may be an unknown, but it should be known enough now that he isn’t worth a 2nd round pick. Darnold is marginally better than Lock. I ain’t giving up a 2nd round pick for a guy that would barely be an upgrade over what we have now. If he’d even be an upgrade at all.
                  Last edited by Megalodon30; 01-13-2021, 01:00 PM.
                  Eternal Broncos Optimist

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
                    This is a good thing!

(How long do you think it will take until there's a "FIRE PATON" Thread !!!!)
                    I'm starting one now...he is a baby Elway that its. Nothing new....same ol players and old coaches...and same old ass whippings.
                    Until we get a TRUE qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message!

Comment

So with all the trouble we’ve had at finding a QB, we hire someone from the front office that decided it was a good idea to give huge money to Kirk Cousins...

Okay.

Hopefully we can make a decent run at Deshaun Watson. Otherwise, yikes!
                      you mean the cousins that has
                      12,166 passing yards in his three seasons with the vikings, 91 tds and 29 ints and averged a 104 QB rating...that guy?
                      sigpic
                      when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

• Originally posted by arapaho View Post

you mean the cousins that has
                        12,166 passing yards in his three seasons with the vikings, 91 tds and 29 ints and averged a 104 QB rating...that guy?
                        The guy that loses 3 out of every 4 games he plays against winning teams; that guy. Stats mean nothing when you don’t win.
                        Eternal Broncos Optimist

Comment

• I don't know much about Paton but I know the Vikings have drafted very well over the years. From an earlier post I see retains quite a bit of wisdom for turning the Jets down repeatedly I hope he figures the QB situation out with his 1st draft/off-season and gets this team back to its winning ways

Comment

The guy that loses 3 out of every 4 games he plays against winning teams; that guy. Stats mean nothing when you don’t win.
                            That’s more of a team statistic though. I’m pretty sure there’s only a handful with a winning record vs winning teams; Mahomes, Jackson (maybe), Brady, Roethlisberger, Wilson, and Mariota. Obviously not all of them are as bad as Cousins record but you can’t put it all on Cousins.

Comment

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

That’s more of a team statistic though. I’m pretty sure there’s only a handful with a winning record vs winning teams; Mahomes, Jackson (maybe), Brady, Roethlisberger, Wilson, and Mariota. Obviously not all of them are as bad as Cousins record but you can’t put it all on Cousins.
                              That stat has been consistent with both Washington and Minnesota. Cousins has been very consistent. Consistently bad. Ask Vikings fans about Cousins and whether or not his pretty, little stats make him good or not.
                              Eternal Broncos Optimist

Comment

qbs dont win alone do they, obviously hes putting up enough points and yards
                                8th in scoring offense, 4th in rush yards, 12th in total passing yards, 6th in passing tds

how ever 25th defense in passing yards, 23rd in passing tds allowed, 27th in rush yards allowed, 24th in rush tds

but you blame the qb
                                sigpic
                                when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Working...
                                X