Winning a title...followed by 5 years out of the playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winning a title...followed by 5 years out of the playoffs

Has any NFL franchise ever won a championship, and then gone 5 straight years without a playoff appearance?

The 91 Twins? 83 Orioles? That it as far as sports franchises go. But thats baseball.

Hard not to wonder if the 2015 Broncos caught lightning in a bottle. Even that team was a Steelers fumble away from losing.

But still thankful for 2015. Fluke or not.
    Last edited by BroncoBrennan89; 01-06-2021, 07:04 AM.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...eason_droughts

Having won an SB c'ship, the Broncos are the only team to not reach the playoffs in some capacity for 5 years. Jets hold the record of 10 years, but after winning their conference c'ship, not the SB.

With Manning, the Broncos should've won at least 2 SB's, if not 3.
    Last edited by DiveInstructor; 01-06-2021, 07:26 AM.

Comment

The closest I can think of without going way back is the Giants after winning it in the 2011, they missed the playoffs 4 straight years after, and that was their only appearance in the last 9 years.

Comment

Originally posted by DiveInstructor View Post

Having won an SB c'ship, the Broncos are the only team to not reach the playoffs in some capacity for 5 years. Jets hold the record of 10 years, but after winning their conference c'ship, not the SB.

2 rings for sure. I always thought if we held on to beat Flacco and the Ravens, we were going to win the Super Bowl that year. But Rahim Moore said, “hold my beer.”

Denver got slaughtered by Seattle in that one Super Bowl, so can’t change the outcome or result.
        2016 Adopt-A-Bronco: CB-Chris Harris Jr.

Comment

The NFL has always been about the QB. The best teams have the best QBs. The worst teams typically have bad QBs. Every team goes through stretches with bad QBs. The Pats pre-Brady were miserable. The Colts pre-Manning were a disaster. Look at the Bills after Jim Kelly. Took them a couple decades to find another franchise QB. The Browns had to go through a whole lot of crappy QBs before finding Mayfield.

We won’t be competitive until we find a franchise QB. Doesn’t matter who the GM is. Doesn’t matter who the head coach is. Doesn’t matter what the rest of the roster looks like. Until we find a leader of the offense, we’re stuck with mediocrity.
          Eternal Broncos Optimist

Comment

Fluke?

Leading up to the SB win we won the division 5 years in a row including the first year without PM. Went to the SB 2 years before.

It was not a fluke. We had an epic defense that was carrying an already declining offense.

It is tough to win in the NFL. There are a lot of franchises that would gladly trade the Elway GM years with us....including the last 5 years if it meant getting to two Super Bowls and winning one.

Some Denver fans do not even realize how spoiled they are to complain about ONLY winning the SB 5 years ago....striving for excellence is the Bronco way but do not forget to enjoy the
            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Mosk View Post

2 rings for sure. I always thought if we held on to beat Flacco and the Ravens, we were going to win the Super Bowl that year. But Rahim Moore said, “hold my beer.”

Denver got slaughtered by Seattle in that one Super Bowl, so can’t change the outcome or result.

Well kaepernick overthrew a wide open receiver in the end zone on the 49ers second drive of the ravens 49ers sb which took 4 points off the board , the 49ers had a breakdown in communication in the secondary that allowed the ravens 56 yard td pass and the jacoby jones kick off return td to start the 3rd quarter , not diminishing the ravens but i don’t think the 49ers were any lesser than baltimore and personally i think the broncos would have been underdogs against that 49er team , similar pattern the following year , the 49ers seahawks nfc champ game was a dogfight as opposed to the sb a week later .

All in all i personally wouldn’t really feel short on the one ring manning got as a bronco , as sb 50 could have gone the other way too if the panthers were a bit more careful on offense , again this time not diminishing the broncos d i thought it was talib and co.'s game to win at the end of the first quarter but it was close .

Comment

Interesting link. Shows the Broncos at one time went 17 seasons without getting to playoffs. 12 team never won a Super Bowl. 36 different streaks of 10-25 seasons of missing the playoffs. 11 teams have not been to the Super Bowl in 20+ years.

We been to the Conf Champ game 3 times since 10 teams have done it...one of them never doing it.

The way some people talk around here would think we never experience any success and other teams never struggle in the NFL
                Last edited by Hadez; 01-06-2021, 10:25 AM.
                Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

How many should the Colts have won in the 13 seasons with Manning. In 4 seasons with the Broncos they appeared in and won as many as the Colts did with Manning in 13 seasons.
                  sigpic

Comment

In discussions like this, I like to repeat that we've been lucky not to be Browns' fans, given their decades of unsuccessful play, and then there's The Lions:

- Since their win in 1957, The Lions have just 1 playoff victory!!! 1 playoff win in 63 years!!

- In the period of 2001 thru 2010, they did not have a winning season. They went 39 and 121, including 0 and 16 in 2008.

- Their last playoff victory was in 1991, 29 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post

How many should the Colts have won in the 13 seasons with Manning. In 4 seasons with the Broncos they appeared in and won as many as the Colts did with Manning in 13 seasons.
                      That's why I don't believe in the "should have won". If a team should have won, they would have. Denver got outright destroyed against Seattle, that's not a should have won, the better team won.
                      We then lost in the divisional round...was that suppose to be a super bowl win? If it was, we wouldn't have lost in the divisional round.

We won 1 super bowl out of 2 attempts with Manning...which means we only should have won 1 Super Bowl. You either win or you lose big games. There is no should.
                      sigpic
                      Adopted Broncos:
                      EmmanuelSanders

Comment

In the 2016 season the Broncos started off 4-0 before losing to the Falcons in the 5th game 16-23 with 2nd string QB Paxton Lynch. Right after that game is when Kubiak had another episode with his health. Kubiak then limited his time at work the rest of the season, in the last 11 games the Broncos went 5-6 finishing at 9-7 on the season. Kubiak retired due to his health at the end of the season. The Broncos now needed to find another HC - that was probably not the plan - so then Joseph was hired; after 2 seasons that was determined a mistake so they replaced him with Fangio, so far the results have not been good with Fangio after just 2 seasons. I have wondered how many franchises have had that situation? How did they fare? IMO, having that situation along with a SB/HOF QB retire the year prior is a substantial hurdle to have to jump over. Unfortunately the Broncos have not been able to clear that hurdle yet.
                        I will follow an hope they get things back to winning, hopefully starting again in 2021.

sigpic

Comment

In reality Bronco fans are a tad spoiled and a little delusional. This fanbase acts like Denver has been the gold standard in the NFL. If any NFL team has the right to act the way Bronco fans act, it's the Packers fans. That's a team that stays in the playoffs, went from back to back first ballot Hall of Famers(Yes Rodgers is gonna be first ballot) and only have 2 Super Bowl wins to show for back to back hall of fame QBs. There has been so much expectation for that franchise, but they don't finish when it matters. Another team that fits that gold standard fanbase personality is Dallas and Pittsburgh.
                          Fact of the matter is, only Broncos fans view Denver in a way where it seems like they are suppose to be a playoff/Super Bowl team.
                          When it's Green Bay, Dallas, Pittsburgh, and New England that majority of the sports world things of when they think the gold standard of the NFL.

This era in Broncos history is a chance for this fanbase to get humbled. Cherish the success and don't feel entitled to it. Only 1 team can win it all in the end...it's ok to accept that our team just isn't good enough every season.
                          sigpic
                          Adopted Broncos:
                          EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post

The only team I constantly want and expect them to do good are the Broncos. I barely follow other teams. But, since you asked, yeah, I think the Colts did a poor job with Manning as their QB. And yes, I'm spoiled from the Pat Bowlen years. So, instead of looking at the failures in the league and saying, well, at least we're better than that, I look at the successes and say, the Broncos can and should do that. But, that's also taken in context of the personnel of the team. During the Elway years, and note I wasn't a Broncos fan through all of them (lived in PA), I'd expect the team to do good. Even when he left, I expected the Broncos to continue to do well because of Shanny. And, I felt the same when Manning was here. But, with what the Broncos have been since, I don't expect much. They've been a bad team for many reasons. I do, however, wish they'd turn the corner and go back to their consistently competitive days.

Comment

Originally posted by Megalodon30 View Post
                              The NFL has always been about the QB. The best teams have the best QBs. The worst teams typically have bad QBs. Every team goes through stretches with bad QBs. The Pats pre-Brady were miserable. The Colts pre-Manning were a disaster. Look at the Bills after Jim Kelly. Took them a couple decades to find another franchise QB. The Browns had to go through a whole lot of crappy QBs before finding Mayfield.

We won’t be competitive until we find a franchise QB. Doesn’t matter who the GM is. Doesn’t matter who the head coach is. Doesn’t matter what the rest of the roster looks like. Until we find a leader of the offense, we’re stuck with mediocrity.
                              My signature says it all
                              Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

Working...
                              X