X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by Hadez View Post

I get what you are saying. I do not think it is more prevalent aspect of todays society. I just think it is more visible when it happens and society as a whole is learning to deal with things that before we were allowed to be naïve about.

The information is flowing quicker and from all sorts of sources and this is presenting new challenges to the critical thinking process.
    I think it's more prevalent in the last couple of decades, as online cray cray has been permitted to have too big a voice. There needs to be a counter movement by which bullying and anonymous cruelty is sought out with more impact.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    Originally posted by CanDB View Post

My point is more about the fact that even innocence nowadays is not a safe thing, given how ridiculous the "uninformed" can be, and there are plenty of them. The fact that people who fail to educate themselves with the facts, or to think with an open mind, have so much impact. The fact that some goofus can start a nonsense movement and have instant followers. Not a good way to function.

And in cases where people are involved, rightfully or not, in a public situation, the fact that the innocent party may end up with a forever tarnished reputation, and even be a target of the group who are in the wrong, is seemingly a more prevalent aspect of this society.

You were correct, innocent until proven guilty, but that's usually what happens in the legal courtrooms...not always outside.
    I get what you are saying. I do not think it is more prevalent aspect of todays society. I just think it is more visible when it happens and society as a whole is learning to deal with things that before we were allowed to be naïve about.

The information is flowing quicker and from all sorts of sources and this is presenting new challenges to the critical thinking process.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    Originally posted by broncolee View Post

No one knows who the accuser is since it doesn’t appear to be the baby mama.

We also don’t know that the accusation was false.

No charges does not equal innocent.

Von will likely get a pass for this one, perhaps rightfully so.
    The "accuser" released a statement. I posted it in one of the placed on these forums we talking about this issue. After reading that statement I am sure that is one of the reasons no charges have been filed.

Leave a comment:

• rst08tierney
    replied
    Hey this is very positive new. Von now holds more trade value!

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied

To my knowledge, only prosecutors who have jurisdiction may file criminal charges. In the event they are, the defendant is required to make a plea. In some cases a not guilty plea results in a jury trial where the verdict is either guilty or not guilty on the charge(s) Von Miller has had no charges filed against him, so innocent or guilty do not apply to him until such time as he is charged/indicted and tried.

Von may be exposed to a civil complaint, but his level of exposure is only known to the parties involved.

As usual, the league may choose to punish based on some reason they feel capable of justifying. Hard to say, since their record on these cases doesn't seem to follow a discernible train of logic.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    Originally posted by DiveInstructor View Post
    Innocent, but his reputation is still damaged. Reality is he'll always have a cloud hanging over him because of this type of accusation. Once accused of this specific charge, there are still some who will hold it against him. What they should do is hold the false accuser accountable and charge them.
    Not for me. Not for others I talk to in real life. I think most of the people in my circles believe in due process.

There are some who had a negative opinion on Von before this even came out and I am sure this allowed them to add to their already existing negative opinion of him.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied

Perhaps? Uh, he was never charged after an intensive investigation over a period of months and where the police department released private, sensitive information where they normally wouldn't.

I'll correct my statement: Both the accuser and the police department personnel responsible for publicly harming his reputation should be held accountable, charged, publicly exposed, and punished to the maximum bounds of the law.

I'm tired of this garbage. Any idiot can jump on board the public sympathy bandwagon and hang someone just by accusing them of something.
    I have not read enough to understand the entire consequences of this case, so I will be careful how I make my point. One can be jumped on harshly, even if misinterpreted here. Our hope as a society is that justice is served. That guilty parties are ruled as such, and disciplined however the judicial process deems sufficient. That innocent parties are cleared, and such that they should be relieved of any contrary belief. That in some cases, there may be wrongdoing on both sides, and that too must be fairly dealt with. And sometimes the situation may even come down to a basic misunderstanding.

But as to the bolded point...I do think there should be consequential penalties for those who cry wolf, and may knowingly cause that person/group to be unfairly judged and mistreated by the public. Perhaps threatened, even harmed in the process. The "cry wolf" side of such cases, where a life can be ruined forever over a lie. In sports they finally began to call penalties (not as far back as they should have) on those who faked an infraction against them (ie. diving), which though much less important in this big world we live, sent a message that you can not get away with this behaviour without knowing that you can be punished as well. So I believe strongly that if someone wrongly accuses another for a crime of some sort, there must be a serious disciplinary response that can be administered, and have a fairly extensive set of rules that can be applied...pending the severity of the infraction, and how much damage it has caused the innocent party.

Last edited by CanDB; 03-06-2021, 09:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jazzbodog
    replied

Perhaps? Uh, he was never charged after an intensive investigation over a period of months and where the police department released private, sensitive information where they normally wouldn't.

I'll correct my statement: Both the accuser and the police department personnel responsible for publicly harming his reputation should be held accountable, charged, publicly exposed, and punished to the maximum bounds of the law.

I'm tired of this garbage. Any idiot can jump on board the public sympathy bandwagon and hang someone just by accusing them of something.
    I read on the internet that most people that take up SCUBA diving do it to overcome their fear of water. I believe it's called "hydrophobia.

I also read people who hates snakes, ophidiophobia, they decide to lay down in a pit as tons of snakes are released into the pit to overcome their fear of snakes. Weird!

AND, obviously DI you realize I made this "garbage" up. So many people now days will believe anything no matter how ridiculous and stupid it seems.

Now back to Von. Based on the remarks stated by prosecutors is basically, nothing to see here, case closed. I for one believe that's accurate and everyone should move on.

However, all domestic violence situations should be investigated with fairness and transparency for all involved.

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-lb-von-miller

There is no mention by the DA office, at least in this article, that charges weren’t filed because Von was proven innocent by the investigation.

The decision was based on “information available at this time”.

Some people in this thread come dangerously close to displaying the attitude that makes it difficult for women to report domestic violence and sexual assault.

Just because he’s a star athlete on the team you like doesn’t mean he’s innocent.

I lean toward Von being innocent in this case because the woman involved doesn’t appear to be the accuser so it could have been an observer who simply misinterpreted something. That doesn’t mean that person should be charged with a crime.

Leave a comment:

• rst08tierney
    replied
    Innocent, but his reputation is still damaged. Reality is he'll always have a cloud hanging over him because of this type of accusation. Once accused of this specific charge, there are still some who will hold it against him. What they should do is hold the false accuser accountable and charge them.
    Ray Lewis bounced back from much worse

Leave a comment:

• DiveInstructor
    replied

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DiveInstructor
    replied

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

Thank goodness we STILL have this in America....but in some ways, were losing it outside courts of law.
    I missed this post...I think we are saying the same thing.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by Hadez View Post

There will always be someone wanting to spread some form of an opinion....the internet allows just about every opinion to reach the masses.

We can only control what we do.

Guess we can also control what "news" we choose to further in our communications.
    My point is more about the fact that even innocence nowadays is not a safe thing, given how ridiculous the "uninformed" can be, and there are plenty of them. The fact that people who fail to educate themselves with the facts, or to think with an open mind, have so much impact. The fact that some goofus can start a nonsense movement and have instant followers. Not a good way to function.

And in cases where people are involved, rightfully or not, in a public situation, the fact that the innocent party may end up with a forever tarnished reputation, and even be a target of the group who are in the wrong, is seemingly a more prevalent aspect of this society.

You were correct, innocent until proven guilty, but that's usually what happens in the legal courtrooms...not always outside.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X