No announcement yet.

Shurmur the QB Whisperer? Maybe not....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shurmur the QB Whisperer? Maybe not....

Saw this on MHR. Pretty good eval of Shurmur's numbers with QB success. Reality is, he's no "QB Whisperer". Thought this might be of value for those who still believe Lock can improve in this environment. Based on these numbers, don't expect much. Heck, don't expect much from any QB improving under Shurmur, FA or otherwise:

https://www.milehighreport.com/2021/...back-whisperer
    Last edited by DiveInstructor; 01-28-2021, 06:08 AM.

Ive already said it 1000X.

Ellis and Company need to open their Check books up and give Eric Bieniemy the head coaching Job in Denver. If you listen to anything Watson has said over the last 3 months it was for Houston to get that man an interview.

Locks NOT the guy and Shurmur's a historic loser for a reason. You dont go 19-46 as a head coach because you're good at what you do. Everything in Denver has been a Myth since the Sheriff hung it up. The Broncos have seriously lacked 1 position that popped their post super bowl bubble each year. The team needs a QB, not a project or a one year wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post

Ellis and Company need to open their Check books up and give Eric Bieniemy the head coaching Job in Denver. If you listen to anything Watson has said over the last 3 months it was for Houston to get that man an interview.

Locks NOT the guy and Shurmur's a historic loser for a reason. You dont go 19-46 as a head coach because you're good at what you do. Everything in Denver has been a Myth since the Sheriff hung it up. The Broncos have seriously lacked 1 position that popped their post super bowl bubble each year. The team needs a QB, not a project or a one year wonder.
      Well, if the Broncos stumble upon a Mahomes, then sure, Bieniemy might be a good choice. But, maybe without Reid, he's not. I think a lot of the credit he gets also comes from being a homer. Personally, I'd rather see a guy like the Bills OC, Brian Daboll. The guy's had his ups and downs, but found success under Saban and showed he could help a struggling rookie QB transition to a post-season contender.

Yeah, I'm definitely not sold on Shurmur (or Fangio). Never have been.

Comment

I started a Thread earlier about wanting Pat fired because his Offensive Game Planning and Calling is just Dismal. I just do not think Pat is capable of calling a Great Game Ever.

Comment

I am hopeful Paton will fix the personnel mistakes made by the previous GM. Shurmur and Fangio beyond next season(unless we win the Super bowl), no thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoRy View Post
            I am hopeful Paton will fix the personnel mistakes made by the previous GM. Shurmur and Fangio beyond next season(unless we win the Super bowl), no thanks.
            Yanno, normally I'm not a jump-in-line kinda guy. So, the level of admiration this area has for Elway, well, I never quite got it. To me, the guy was just a football player. But, having seen how much he meant to many here, I can't help but feel bad he hasn't killed it as GM. I know a lot of people counted on him to bring the Broncos back to the best Pat Bowlen years.

Comment

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post

Why would the Broncos need to open the checkbook? Bieniemy hasn't been hired in the past two seasons, it isn't like there's been a bidding war for him. And as a lifelong Buffs fan who watched Bieniemy play and coach at CU, Bieniemy didn't do very well as the Buff's OC. I also question his personality to be a HC. He's a tough guy and has a bit of Mike Singletary in him. What happens when he starts chewing out modern athletes? And he will. I'm not saying Bieniemy will fail as a HC but he's hardly the perfect candidate some make him out to be.

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post

Why would the Broncos need to open the checkbook? Bieniemy hasn't been hired in the past two seasons, it isn't like there's been a bidding war for him. And as a lifelong Buffs fan who watched Bieniemy play and coach at CU, Bieniemy didn't do very well as the Buff's OC. I also question his personality to be a HC. He's a tough guy and has a bit of Mike Singletary in him. What happens when he starts chewing out modern athletes? And he will. I'm not saying Bieniemy will fail as a HC but he's hardly the perfect candidate some make him out to be.
                I don't know if Bieniemy would be THAT bad. Just because he's a tough guy, doesn't mean he's going to start telling players to go to the locker room during games. The Chiefs players seem to really like him, so it's not like he's going to have people trying to fight him in the locker room or doing impersonations behind his back like Saban or McDaniels either.

My main concern is more about what he brings as an offensive coach. The Reid tree guys have a weird history. Nagy won coach of the year, and Pederson won a SB. But after that, nothing. Nagy gave up play calling half way through the season this year. Then you got Shurmur and Childress. I don't think any of them are bad, but you're clearly not getting Andy Reid level genius by hiring one of his offensive assistants. This doesn't necessarily mean he won't be a good HC, though. I like Fangio, though. He has to continue improving in the game management aspect, but I believe everything else he's brought to the team has been pretty good to great.

The Reid guys kind of remind me of Coach Red Beaulieu in Waterboy. Like they have all the plays written down, but they can't design new ones. So when people figure them out, House of the Rising Sun starts playing on a juke box behind them.

Comment

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post

I don't know if Bieniemy would be THAT bad. Just because he's a tough guy, doesn't mean he's going to start telling players to go to the locker room during games. The Chiefs players seem to really like him, so it's not like he's going to have people trying to fight him in the locker room or doing impersonations behind his back like Saban or McDaniels either.

My main concern is more about what he brings as an offensive coach. The Reid tree guys have a weird history. Nagy won coach of the year, and Pederson won a SB. But after that, nothing. Nagy gave up play calling half way through the season this year. Then you got Shurmur and Childress. I don't think any of them are bad, but you're clearly not getting Andy Reid level genius by hiring one of his offensive assistants. This doesn't necessarily mean he won't be a good HC, though. I like Fangio, though. He has to continue improving in the game management aspect, but I believe everything else he's brought to the team has been pretty good to great.

The Reid guys kind of remind me of Coach Red Beaulieu in Waterboy. Like they have all the plays written down, but they can't design new ones. So when people figure them out, House of the Rising Sun starts playing on a juke box behind them.
                  Bieniemy instantly makes Denver a desirable place for Watson.

I do agree with you on Reids coaching tree but with a marriage of Watson & Bieniemy you would hope to get some type of Mahomes production from the offense

Comment

Shurmur's offenses are horrible at turning the ball over. Really bad at throwing picks.

I personally would not want him any where near a young QB. It is no wonder Lock's ints went way up under Shurmur
                    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                      Shurmur's offenses are horrible at turning the ball over. Really bad at throwing picks.

I personally would not want him any where near a young QB. It is no wonder Lock's ints went way up under Shurmur
                      I'm sure Lock has a bit to do with the turnovers (and the rest of the offense), but Shurmur sure hasn't been putting Lock in great situations to succeed. They were talking about the 3 receiver sets Shurmur keeps using that Locks known to have problems with. But, Shurmur keeps doing it. You can't change a tiger's stripes....

Comment

Originally posted by Spice 1;n83[B
                        48693]

I don't know if Bieniemy would be THAT bad. Just because he's a tough guy, doesn't mean he's going to start telling players to go to the locker room during games.[/B] The Chiefs players seem to really like him, so it's not like he's going to have people trying to fight him in the locker room or doing impersonations behind his back like Saban or McDaniels either.

You're right, Bieniemy may not be that bad. He also may be worse, I doubt it but it is a possibility. He had 7 interviews this year and a number more last year yet he hasn't been hired despite his credentials. Different teams probably have different reasons for not choosing him, but my points stand: We don't need to give him a blank check to get him and he isn't the perfect candidate some make him out to be.

When we hired Fangio I was one of the few here that recommended Bieniemy be considered. He would also be high on my list if we fire Fangio. However, I wouldn't have fired Fangio this season to hire Bieniemy and I like discussing both sides of an issue. I am concerned why he hasn't been hired despite being one of, if not the most prominent candidates the past two seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by DiveInstructor View Post

I'm sure Lock has a bit to do with the turnovers (and the rest of the offense), but Shurmur sure hasn't been putting Lock in great situations to succeed. They were talking about the 3 receiver sets Shurmur keeps using that Locks known to have problems with. But, Shurmur keeps doing it. You can't change a tiger's stripes....
                          Ultimately Lock is responsible for his actions. This is true.

Good coaches adjust to their players. Their skills, their experience and what the player can do well. IMO this is the single biggest difference between a good NFL coach and a bad NFL coach.

Shurmur does not do this. To me it was obvious in 2020 in multiple games.

Even with a practice squad WR it seemed Shurmur wants the Qb to fit into Shurmur's offense instead of calling plays that the players can execute more easily because of their skillset and experience.
                          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Can't stand Shurmur. He is not a creative playcaller and refuses to deviate from his system to match to his players strengths. The games where Lock was successful this year (2 games), they ran more play action and two TE sets. Yet Shurmur constantly throws out 3 wide sets regardless if the QB is getting murdered.
                            sigpic

Comment

I'd love to know why Shurmur has a job. He's accomplished next to nothing, yet, he still keeps getting hired.

I don't get it....

Comment

Working...
                              X