Key Dates For 2021 Offseason Activities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key Dates For 2021 Offseason Activities

NFL: When can teams start trading in 2021? (sportskeeda.com)

Because of the seemingly never-ending COVID-19 pandemic, it took a bit longer than usual to announce the exact date, but the NFL has now stated that free agency will begin on March 17th, 2021.

From this date onwards, NFL teams need to get themselves back under the salary cap and each is free to register new talent to the roster. Of course, all things are subject to change due to the west's ongoing battle with coronavirus, and we've already seen just how much of an impact the pandemic can have on the NFL offseason (anyone else hyped for preseason this year!?) but - fingers crossed - this is how it should all play out:
    • Feb. 23 - March 9: Franchise/Transition Player Designation Period
    • March 17: 2021 league year gets underway/ free agency
    • April 5: Start of offseason for teams that have new head coaches
    • April 19: Start of offseason workouts for teams with returning coaches
    • April 23: Last day of the restricted free agent signing period
    • April 28: Last day to match offer sheets for RFAs
    • April 29 - May 1: the 2021 NFL Draft
    ~~~~~

Should be a very interesting offseason, with QBs making constant news of late. Feel free to add things, or correct if these dates change. Bit of a fluid situation!

Sad that I can't post a Combine date this year.

Thanks for posting those!

Comment

Originally posted by chessic View Post
      Thanks for posting those!
      Thanks pal! I luv when we share info here. The more we share the less we have to look up.

Comment

In the case of the Stafford/Goff deal, it does not become official until March 17th, per the dates above....as the league year gets underway.

Comment

Yea nothing becomes official until March 17

We will probably start to hear about a lot of deals on March 15. Per this source

Legal Tampering begins March 15

Apparently teams can begin discussing deals with own players before that. Kind of similar to how trades can be agreed on now but not official until March.

NFL news will be bits and pieces up until March 9 imo. Some teams will release players ahead of time. This is usually done to be ready for a trade or to be considerate for the player. Player contracts will force players to be released before next year's salary becomes guaranteed. This usually happens in first few days of league year depending on the contract details. Due to reduced cap I think we see more of these releases than previous years.

March 15 will start the whirlwind of news that will be hot and heavy into April imo.
          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post

We will probably start to hear about a lot of deals on March 15. Per this source

Apparently teams can begin discussing deals with own players before that. Kind of similar to how trades can be agreed on now but not official until March.

NFL news will be bits and pieces up until March 9 imo. Some teams will release players ahead of time. This is usually done to be ready for a trade or to be considerate for the player. Player contracts will force players to be released before next year's salary becomes guaranteed. This usually happens in first few days of league year depending on the contract details. Due to reduced cap I think we see more of these releases than previous years.

March 15 will start the whirlwind of news that will be hot and heavy into April imo.
            Without The Combine, it's a little less fun this offseason, but if we are patient, we're only a month at most away from a lot of news. I suspect sooner, including draftee discussion/debate, and yes, non finalized deals and leaked FA/Trade info.

Comment

No, teams can sign their own players at any time. The deals will become official once they're registered with the league and the league signs off on them. I believe that players who just finished playing on the franchise tag the previous season are able to be signed to multi-year extensions following the Super Bowl, although it's possible that it may not be until the franchise tag window opens on Feb 23.

But with the exception of franchise tag players not being able to receive an extension from July 16th until after the Super Bowl, teams can sign any of their free agents at any point in time.

Comment

The franchise tag window runs from today, Feb. 23, through March 9.

Comment

So folks....do we tag Simmons at $13.7M, extend him, or even tag someone else. No matter, I think we got to keep this star Safety. I'd prefer a contract.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                    So folks....do we tag Simmons at $13.7M, extend him, or even tag someone else. No matter, I think we got to keep this star Safety. I'd prefer a contract.
                    Considering the players currently under contract I think we have to sign him
                    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Considering the players currently under contract I think we have to sign him
                      The guy's a proven stud, and why not anchor down the Dbackfield with a long term deal. I like when a team signs up its key players for years to come. It gives you stability and allows you to focus on other things. The Broncos Dbackfield needs some attention this offseason, and signing Simmons reduces some of the effort.

Comment

The good news....this time last year The Combine was coming to end. I would love to have had the chance to see one this year, but not the end of the world. Now, I do admit we would be talking about the players/performances/those trending up or down as a result...but that's life.

We are getting closer to the really good stuff! And though FA is not officially til the 17th, we get a lot of rumours/facts prior to that date.

Comment

The 2021 NFL offseason officially kicks off Wednesday, March 17th, with the legal tampering period for free agent negotiations beginning two days earlier.

In other words...we missed out on The Combine fun this year, but we're basically knocking on the door of another big part of the offseason "journey". Will be really exciting to see who goes where, especially those related to The Broncos.

Comment

Looking forward to the draft.

Plan A : Watson
                            Plan B : Willson

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                              The 2021 NFL offseason officially kicks off Wednesday, March 17th, with the legal tampering period for free agent negotiations beginning two days earlier.

In other words...we missed out on The Combine fun this year, but we're basically knocking on the door of another big part of the offseason "journey". Will be really exciting to see who goes where, especially those related to The Broncos.

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
                              Looking forward to the draft.

Plan A : Watson
                              Plan B : Wilson
                              Tomorrow will bring some FA news.....even though not official signings. Looking forward to it! I also think we will hear more about Watson and Wilson within the next 2 weeks.

We are now entering the offseason joyride!!!

Last edited by CanDB; 03-14-2021, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X