Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can somebody explain to me Shurmur's greatness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can somebody explain to me Shurmur's greatness?

I watched some NY Giants games as well as some Vikings stuff with Keesum (TYJE). I heard he had time in Philly, but I really haven't watched any of that stuff or tried to find out how much was him and how much wasn't. The only thing that looked half-decent was during the Vikings days. But, that could've just been the right players for his plays.

Can someone point me to the schemes/strategies he has that are special and worth his hire? What the heck did they see/hear from him? Or is it the good ol' boys club and laziness on the part of the front office?
    Last edited by DiveInstructor; 02-11-2021, 05:22 AM.

Originally posted by DiveInstructor View Post
    I watched some NY Giants games as well as some Vikings stuff with Keesum (TYJE). I heard he had time in Philly, but I really haven't watched any of that stuff or tried to find out how much was him and how much wasn't. The only thing that looked half-decent was during the Vikings days. But, that could've just been the right players for his plays.

Can someone point me to the schemes/strategies he has that are special and worth his hire? What the heck did they see/hear from him? Or is it the good ol' boys club and laziness on the part of the front office?
    Nope I can't think of any. Kirk Cousins and Case Keenum had an okay season under his offense. That is pretty much his calling card so far. He isn't very creative with the speed we do have. Lindsey is right handing the ball of to a guy 195lbs straight up the gut constantly with no hole is stupid. At this point I think Adam Gase would even be better and Peyton Manning was the biggest reason he got a head coaching job, not his amazing offensive schemes.

Comment

2010 he helped the rams go from 1-15 to 7-9 and that single season alone some how has carried his coaching career.

The mans hot garbage with a head coaching record of 19-46. Guess if you're looking to build a losing culture he's the guy for the job.

Mike Shanahan could coach a better offensive game plan blindfolded then this clown.
      Last edited by rst08tierney; 02-11-2021, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
        2010 he helped the rams go from 1-15 to 7-9 and that single season alone some how has carried his coaching career.

The mas hot garbage with a head coaching record of 19-46. Guess if you're looking to build a losing culture he's the man for the job.

Mike Shanahan could coach a better offensive game plan blindfolded then this clown.
        Yeah, I was reading up and "19-46" sticks out like a very sore thumb. Now, not everyone does well at HC, and is better off in their lower level position. I assume he is a much better non HC.

Comment

Darn. I was hoping I was missing something and someone would change my opinion. Why the heck does Elway keep the guy? Sheesh.

Comment

Well... the main reason why he isn't gone is because it would be absolutely destructive to the development of our young guys on offense if they can't have at least another year in the same system. That would mean another COVID-affected offseason where players will have a whole new playbook to learn, along with virtual meetings galore and teams can't install their new offense on the field and get reps in.

Secondly, check Lock's slight improvement in the last 6 games. On tape, Shurmur made a ton of adjustments to help Lock out-- including more play action and simpler reads. Also, the offensive line execution was much, much better. Two games I love from a Shurmur standpoint are Miami and the second KC game. Carolina was great, of course-- but the MIA and KC games had beautiful play designs and great calls in different offensive situations (against tougher defenses too).

At the end of day, execution is everything in the NFL. You could say this about any OC, but if Lock converts on some his inaccurate throws OR makes the right read on some plays... Shurmur would look better. If Hamler doesn't drop the ball on 3rd down against KC or Jeudy makes those catches against LAC... Shurmur looks better. If the offensive line does a better job executing pulls and getting onto their blocks quicker in the first LV game... Shurmur looks better. His concepts have worked and can work. Give our personnel another year in this offense and I guarantee there will be better results.
            2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
            Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

Comment

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
              His concepts have worked and can work. Give our personnel another year in this offense and I guarantee there will be better results.
              what part of 19-46 has ever had working concepts?

You could argue I guess when he was with the EAGLES and had a prime Donovan McNabb but he was just a QB coach then and we know Andy Reid was the brains behind that operation. The game has evolved since 2004 and obviously Shurmur hasn't.

Comment

Admittedly I did my deep dive after we hired Shurmur but imo getting him was a huge mistake. My guess is no one actually looked at the results of his work and just hired a guy with a lot of experience.

If Shurmur figures things out and produces a good offense in 2021...all is good. If he continues to have years like he usually has there will be a purge in 2022.
                Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Stop blaming Elway. He has stepped down and that was fangios decision to fire dude from San fran and hire shurmur....

Comment

Greatness and Shurmur shouldn’t co-exist in the same sentence.
                    2016 Adopt-A-Bronco: CB-Chris Harris Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post

what part of 19-46 has ever had working concepts?

You could argue I guess when he was with the EAGLES and had a prime Donovan McNabb but he was just a QB coach then and we know Andy Reid was the brains behind that operation. The game has evolved since 2004 and obviously Shurmur hasn't.
                      I’m not here proclaiming he’s great, but his concepts work. 19-46 depends on more than just offense. Wade Phillips was a bad HC but the work he did as DC for us was nothing short of special... and guess what, won us a Super Bowl. Measuring the quality of an OC based on their W-L record as HC is not an effective approach when trying to analyze someone in the discussion of X’s and O’s.

Here are a couple great breakdowns that show some effective concepts that Shurmur schemed in the rushing attack and passing game.

Last edited by HDbroncos02; 02-11-2021, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosk View Post
                        Greatness and Shurmur shouldn’t co-exist in the same sentence.
                        Excellent point. I stand corrected.

Comment

For those that want to look more into Shurmur's offense from this past season, I have a couple more videos.

(Breakdown of Lock's progression as the season went on)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycbJ...edbyTimJenkins

(Broncos offense against KC - 2nd game)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lzf...l=CodyRoarkNFL

Comment

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
                            For those that want to look more into Shurmur's offense ....
                            HD, thank you for your feedback. I'll check your vids out tonight.

Comment

Sometimes I genuinely wonder what would make you guys happy. Anything short of the 2013 Broncos seems like a dismal offense to this board. Insert your #FireShurmur jokes here, but Minnesota Vikings fans that I've talked to would love for him to come back as their OC. We were missing Courtland Sutton for all but half a game this year. Drew Lock is... well, Drew Lock. The only OL that took every single snap this season was our rookie Lloyd Cushenberry III. Denver had no OTAs, an abbreviated training camp, no preseason, and started FOUR different QBs. The fact that we even mustered a first down in the Saints game was a miracle considering Shurmur had less than 24 hours to change the playbook and offensive gameplan around an undrafted wide receiver-turned-starting NFL QB.

If the offense fails to produce and makes the same mistakes next season... then yeah, it's time for a change. Who realistically would be better? We are not suddenly luring Kyle Shanahan or Andy Reid here. Lincoln Riley or Dabo Swinney aren't leaving their cushy college jobs any time soon. Brian Daboll isn't laterally moving from Buffalo to here. Would you take Pep Hamilton over Pat Shurmur? Want Rich Scangarello back?

Laugh in my face one year from now if things don't pan out. I'll own up to it. But until then, there's plenty of evidence that Shurmur's offense is fine and effective from a schematic standpoint. Dangle offensive rankings from previous years and W-L records all you want, but the nuances of the game shows that there's something to work with here.

Comment

Working...
                              X