Vincent Jackson and life after the NFL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vincent Jackson and life after the NFL

Yeah, the guy wasn't a Bronco, but he was a local, and his situation could, unfortunately, be something some Broncos have to deal with (and already had to). Ryan Leaf recently released a statement that the NFL should be helping their players transition. Considering the coin the NFL pulls down, I'd have to agree. I have no clue how to structure something like that, but playing in the NFL does have something to do with what affects these guys' lives, so there should be something that at least the NFLPA tries to create. Must be really tough to go through life as a football talent, being under the spotlight, then stepping away and trying to find your place in another life that may be nothing like what you were as a football player. Throw in the head trauma and that's a pretty tough situation for some.

RIP to Jackson and condolences to his friends and family.

Originally posted by DiveInstructor View Post
    Yeah, the guy wasn't a Bronco, but he was a local, and his situation could, unfortunately, be something some Broncos have to deal with (and already had to). Ryan Leaf recently released a statement that the NFL should be helping their players transition. Considering the coin the NFL pulls down, I'd have to agree. I have no clue how to structure something like that, but playing in the NFL does have something to do with what affects these guys' lives, so there should be something that at least the NFLPA tries to create. Must be really tough to go through life as a football talent, being under the spotlight, then stepping away and trying to find your place in another life that may be nothing like what you were as a football player. Throw in the head trauma and that's a pretty tough situation for some.

RIP to Jackson and condolences to his friends and family.
    Somewhat like Junior Seau's passing. Hard to imagine the pain they must suffer....horrible.
    Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

I get angry when I read JC Tretter (NFLPA president) saying they need to get rid of all offseason programs because players are healthier for the season (I guess he missed all of the injuries early in the season this year), and fighting for stupid things like that. What they should be fighting for is an NFL/NFLPA mandate that helps players transition, gets them in touch with potential employers or shows them how to get back into school to finish their degrees (and how to be a regular student) and how to live life after the game is over. In they need drug and/or alcohol treatment, getting them that.

That's what the NFLPA should be fighting for not trying to get the same amount of pay for doing less work...which they don't have to do anyways since the OTAs aren't mandatory.

Comment

Working...
      X