Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is 2021 a "throw-away" year for the Broncos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is 2021 a "throw-away" year for the Broncos?

With the big ownership changes and Fangio on what might be his last year, I'm beginning to wonder what the Broncos will do? Are they just going to leave things as-is, hit the cap minimum, and play the year out, without making any big signings? I guess what happens to both Miller and Simmons might be good indicators.

Not sure what a “throw away season” is. Every season has goals, expectations, and outcomes.

I don’t think the organization just quits and passively goes through the season. Hard to even guess what the goals and expectations are until we see what the first moves are IMO. Once they do then the dominos will start falling into place.

Biggest issue is QB. Do they make a big trade or stick with Lock? This will define the season. Followed closely by free agents.

Will Paton and the coaches be expecting a competitive team or rebuilding?

IMO either can be achieved, just takes commitment to a plan. Broncos have been trying to ride the fence on this decision for several seasons. Those are arguably more of a “throw away” mentality then committing one way or the other. Even a rebuilding year can be productive. We just have to set our goals and expectations to match.

Going to be interesting to see how Paton chooses to play this.

Comment

Lets just say, "throw away" is never a good thing in pro sports....or most things in life (except maybe an old sandwich). What is done in the next few months will say a lot though, about the direction. The Broncos are definitely concerned about the QB position, based on what we've heard so far, and I doubt Paton was brought in to take a step sideways or back. A team of this level is not too far away from success. One offseason may not do it, but could set the tone for the next few years. A few FAs and a some wise drafting, along with growth in certain players (ie. Lock) could equate to multiple extra wins.

Conversely if a new QB is acquired, it could change the dynamics overnight. Not saying Watson, but just saying. And if The Broncos take a risk with our #1 pick, it will be a whole year of "hmmmm". Not a throw away, rather a "this is getting even more interesting", because a #1 pick used on a QB would alter all sorts of things...because in my opinion, a drafted player at that level should never be considered as another "option" long term.

But there are other key aspects about this coming year, things that will be fun to watch. What happens to Von, Simmons, and others. And what players step it up, or need reevaluation. Some of this sounds like "throw away" turf, but really it's just part of any team's process.

Again...the spotlight will be QB in the offseason, and throughout the season. No matter who it is.
      Last edited by CanDB; 02-24-2021, 07:13 AM.

Comment

"Throw away" might be a bit harsh wording for what I was getting at. Maybe "transitional" year would've been closer to what I was getting at. I'm just wondering if we'll see less long term commitment or maybe release of bigger money players in lieu of bringing in more from the draft as starters and letting that bigger money go. I guess there's that minimum salary cap, which my understanding is the teams must spend that amount as a minimum on their players....which would possibly require the Broncos keeping some of that bigger money contracts around.

Again, I guess we'll see what the Broncos do with any FA stuff (QB or otherwise) as well as their bigger money players that are already on the team, again, such as Miller and what they'll do with Simmons.

It is a bit of a strange situation, with a new GM brought in at the same time as an ownership change and maybe a coach and staff on their last year. Hopefully the new owner(s) will have that same commitment to football quality that Pat had, and they're not simply bean counters looking to cash in.

Comment

Originally posted by DiveInstructor View Post
          "Throw away" might be a bit harsh wording for what I was getting at. Maybe "transitional" year would've been closer to what I was getting at. I'm just wondering if we'll see less long term commitment or maybe release of bigger money players in lieu of bringing in more from the draft as starters and letting that bigger money go. I guess there's that minimum salary cap, which my understanding is the teams must spend that amount as a minimum on their players....which would possibly require the Broncos keeping some of that bigger money contracts around.

Again, I guess we'll see what the Broncos do with any FA stuff (QB or otherwise) as well as their bigger money players that are already on the team, again, such as Miller and what they'll do with Simmons.

It is a bit of a strange situation, with a new GM brought in at the same time as an ownership change and maybe a coach and staff on their last year. Hopefully the new owner(s) will have that same commitment to football quality that Pat had, and they're not simply bean counters looking to cash in.
          I was trying not to be too focused on the "throw away" component, because I understand what you were alluding to in your post. But I guess I did mention it. Regardless, maybe transitional makes sense, given we have a new GM.

What I hope to see is the true approach that Paton, supported by Elway, is taking. Will he be aggressive to some degree, or will he be more patient? I am ok with either...what I don't want us "fuzzy". As in, 6 or so months from now, we still aren't able to define his approach.

That's why the next few months might be almost crystal clear in that regard. What happens via FA, The Draft and even trades, should spell more things out. I look forward to these coming months. I may be too much of an optimist at times, but I hope to see some concrete steps forward. Might lose a player or two we did not think was going to happen, might even see a blockbuster trade.

And yes, back to the ole QB situation....of all the options, I hope we do not draft one at #9, and make it like a competition. Why? That's a lot of capital as a backup plan. If we make that pick, I expect the player to be our QB within a year.

Comment

With the Broncos clearly trying to make moves at the quarterback position, I don’t think it’s a throw away season.
            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
            You Mad Bro?
            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Depends on who the QB is. If we can somehow land Watson, pretty sure that immediately puts the expectations into Denver being a playoff contender.

If it's Lock, the season becomes make or break for Lock developing into a legitimate starting NFL QB. And if it's apparent early on that he just can't develop, the season becomes a throw away.

And if it's a rookie, then I'd say certainly this is a throw away season. Just working to get a young guy acclimated to the NFL. The expectations certainly wouldn't be high enough to expect much and if we happen to land a franchise QB in the draft that can hit the ground running, then we'll be far and away exceeding expectations.
              Eternal Broncos Optimist

Comment

With the big ownership changes and Fangio on what might be his last year, I'm beginning to wonder what the Broncos will do? Are they just going to leave things as-is, hit the cap minimum, and play the year out, without making any big signings? I guess what happens to both Miller and Simmons might be good indicators.
                Throw Away season might not be the most accurate assessment but I believe members get what you're saying. Did the Broncos achieve anything highly positive in 2020, hard to separate positive verses negative. Hopefully we can recognize "good stuff" from 2020 combined with "good stuff" that happens between now and game one of this season.

Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Is 2021 a "throw-away" year for the Broncos?
                  Quoting the title...I know mods can change the title but I assume they have not

We have not even begun to sign free agents. Do not know what happens in the draft. Maybe trades happen maybe they do not. Really the only thing we have seen is Elway stepping down and allowing a new GM to run things.

We are FAR too early in the process to start making any realistic judgements on 2021

There have been years I did not like what happened (McD years, VJ years) but I have NEVER considered any year to be a "throw-away" year at this stage in the season......
                  Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post

Quoting the title...I know mods can change the title but I assume they have not

We have not even begun to sign free agents. Do not know what happens in the draft. Maybe trades happen maybe they do not. Really the only thing we have seen is Elway stepping down and allowing a new GM to run things.

We are FAR too early in the process to start making any realistic judgements on 2021

There have been years I did not like what happened (McD years, VJ years) but I have NEVER considered any year to be a "throw-away" year at this stage in the season......
                    It was a question, and I said we'd have to see what the staff does to tell us what this year really is.

Comment

Sims a bit premature to ask this question prior to free agency and the draft playing out.

finding out how much effort they put into those two events should tell us a bit more about the attempts to win now.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                        Sims a bit premature to ask this question prior to free agency and the draft playing out.

finding out how much effort they put into those two events should tell us a bit more about the attempts to win now.
                        This site is a world of speculation of varying degrees of certainty. I'm just getting a feel that the Broncos might be dragging their feet a bit, which may be an indication of doing a lot of nothing this year. It's been a lot of non-commitment to players recently, and all of the FA trade talk has been from outsiders and nothing from the front office, hasn't it?

Comment

This site is a world of speculation of varying degrees of certainty. I'm just getting a feel that the Broncos might be dragging their feet a bit, which may be an indication of doing a lot of nothing this year. It's been a lot of non-commitment to players recently, and all of the FA trade talk has been from outsiders and nothing from the front office, hasn't it?
                          So true. The "speculation" here is like a tornado of highly varying degrees of opinion which can be informing eye popping / jaw dropping posts.

So looking forward to being able to assess what the heck the Broncos will appear to be once we get past the draft, trades etc. and ultimately into the season.

Patience everyone....patience!
                          Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Is the report that they tried to get Stafford a false report?

If it’s not, they aren’t dragging their feet on anything.
                            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                            You Mad Bro?
                            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

It will be if Lock is at thd helm and wins less then 8 games

Comment

Working...
                              X