Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is 2021 a "throw-away" year for the Broncos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd say 2020 was a throwaway year. I'd say 2021 is a make or break year. Unless a really good option opens up for us to upgrade the #1QB spot before the season starts this whole ship is going down with Drew Lock unless he shows dramatic improvement.
    Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post

Is the report that they tried to get Stafford a false report?

If it’s not, they aren’t dragging their feet on anything.
      Depends on who you talk to. From what I've read and heard, all of the info about what the new GM and FO are doing has been from people outside of the organization. If the Broncos have officially said something, I missed it. Even that info the Broncos went after Stafford is info I heard from non-Broncos people (like the media).

Comment

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
        I'd say 2020 was a throwaway year. I'd say 2021 is a make or break year. Unless a really good option opens up for us to upgrade the #1QB spot before the season starts this whole ship is going down with Drew Lock unless he shows dramatic improvement.
        Have faith, in Drew we Trust.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter01 View Post

Have faith, in Drew we Trust.
          He has to play better. Consistently better. I think he can do it, but if he doesn't then we're in total rebuild mode at the end of the season. The new GM will be one of the few recognizable faces of the franchise.
          Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

So true. The "speculation" here is like a tornado of highly varying degrees of opinion which can be informing eye popping / jaw dropping posts.

So looking forward to being able to assess what the heck the Broncos will appear to be once we get past the draft, trades etc. and ultimately into the season.

Patience everyone....patience!
            Patience for what? The team has set losing season records that date back to when? The 1960's? I was just looking at articles talking about saving money by releasing Casey, hearing the "negotiations" between Miller and the team and how it's too much to pay him, talk of tagging Simmons to save maybe a million or two, and listening to some bang the drum about how much cap space this team has. At first, it got me wondering what the Broncos were going to do with all of that money? Then I started looking at the list of NFL teams ranked by cap space. The teams with the most amount of cap space are the worst teams in the league when it comes to performance. The teams deepest in the red are largely made up of teams who are at the top of the list when we talk about post season threats.

Have the Broncos gone on the cheap of late? They tend to release their best players instead of set up contracts to keep them. Looking at the personnel on the Broncos, there are many more "potential" players than there are proven players. What great players would want to come to a team that's unwilling to pay and reward them for valuable play? The coaches are a group nobody in the NFL is afraid to play against. Someone here said last year might've been the throw away year. I'm beginning to think the way this team has been run the past few years, it's become one throw away year after another.

I've been criticized in this thread for jumping the gun and speculating too much. But, those who believe the team is committed to quality and would never toss years aside are speculating this team will change the behavior that's run it into the ground since SB50, with no sign of delivering that quality but only hope and speculation. Now, who's really speculating and jumping the gun?

This might be worse than the throw away year I suspected. This might be a throw away team. I guess welcome to the land the Cleveland Browns used to occupy.
            Last edited by DiveInstructor; 02-26-2021, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DiveInstructor View Post

I've been criticized in this thread for jumping the gun and speculating too much. But, those who believe the team is committed to quality and would never toss years aside are speculating this team will change the behavior that's run it into the ground since SB50, with no sign of delivering that quality but only hope and speculation. Now, who's really speculating and jumping the gun?

This might be worse than the throw away year I suspected. This might be a throw away team. I guess welcome to the land the Cleveland Browns used to occupy.
              How long have you actually been a fan of the Denver Broncos ? You've only been on the boards for less than a year......you throw around a lot of steam for being the new guy. The team had a plan with Drew Lock. Let that play out.......He either gets it this year, or we go get our guy next year. Drop back from 9 in the draft and gather some ammo for the just in case scenario in 2022. It just would be ridiculous to dump your potential franchise QB that has shown progress and has not been given that crucial 3rd year. To me....that would really loose the fan base, Drew Lock gets traded and goes on to be a top 10 QB somewhere else. Look at the interest he's garnering right now.

Comment

I'm growing more and more comfortable with letting Lock go for one more season. This will be the most pressure he has had in keeping his job. Let's see what he can do with this much pressure. I am definitely not optimistic, but sometimes people surprise you when they are put under that much pressure. Last year he was coming off a great finish to the year and it looked very promising...and he ultimately failed. I will say he looked better the last two games, but that still isn't saying much. I think no matter what Denver's FO plans are....they are very contingent as to what the Von Miller investigation yields.
                New England Patriots GM

Comment

How long have you actually been a fan of the Denver Broncos ? You've only been on the boards for less than a year......you throw around a lot of steam for being the new guy. The team had a plan with Drew Lock. Let that play out.......He either gets it this year, or we go get our guy next year. Drop back from 9 in the draft and gather some ammo for the just in case scenario in 2022. It just would be ridiculous to dump your potential franchise QB that has shown progress and has not been given that crucial 3rd year. To me....that would really loose the fan base, Drew Lock gets traded and goes on to be a top 10 QB somewhere else. Look at the interest he's garnering right now.
                  Been a fan since I moved here in November of 1998. And, just because I'm critical when the team does crappy doesn't mean I'm not a fan. Watching the team get a beat-down at the stadium with a bunch of other disappointed fans isn't much fun. I want them to do better. I like the Broncos. I especially liked them when Pat was in charge.

The interest Lock is getting could be for back up roles. Plenty of teams need those. Heck, he might end up just that here.

BTW, I did this out of my own pocket:

https://youtu.be/VCfsm9QPV48

It wasn't for profit, either. I just wanted to have some fun as a fan and wanted my fellow Broncos fans to have a chuckle. In fact, I gave a bunch away.

Comment

Patience for what? The team has set losing season records that date back to when? The 1960's? I was just looking at articles talking about saving money by releasing Casey, hearing the "negotiations" between Miller and the team and how it's too much to pay him, talk of tagging Simmons to save maybe a million or two, and listening to some bang the drum about how much cap space this team has. At first, it got me wondering what the Broncos were going to do with all of that money? Then I started looking at the list of NFL teams ranked by cap space. The teams with the most amount of cap space are the worst teams in the league when it comes to performance. The teams deepest in the red are largely made up of teams who are at the top of the list when we talk about post season threats.

Have the Broncos gone on the cheap of late? They tend to release their best players instead of set up contracts to keep them. Looking at the personnel on the Broncos, there are many more "potential" players than there are proven players. What great players would want to come to a team that's unwilling to pay and reward them for valuable play? The coaches are a group nobody in the NFL is afraid to play against. Someone here said last year might've been the throw away year. I'm beginning to think the way this team has been run the past few years, it's become one throw away year after another.

i feel like this statement is completely misleading. they set a record for the broncos. there are teams that has had way more losing seasons in a row then 4. before mcvay the rams where terrible between 2007 and 2016 the rams never had a winning record including multiple 1 wins campaigns. the team has been bad but to say they are in a spot the cleveland browns are seems a bit crazy to me. there are teams worst then the nfl today. there are teams that had been worst. the browns had 12 straight losing seasons. that is 3 times more then the broncos are currently. it seems you are overreacting on somethings. making bland statements on others that sound way worst then they are. to say they are setting records for losing seasons is crazy. it is a Broncos record. the broncos have been a really good organization for a while. and alot of good organizations have down points. look at the Packers during the 80ties before they got Farve. there have been teams that have been way worst. i would still take what the broncos have over a few current teams. nor are they as bad as the Browns have been recently.
                    sigpic
                    oakland raders gm
                    latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post

i feel like this statement is completely misleading. they set a record for the broncos. there are teams that has had way more losing seasons in a row then 4. before mcvay the rams where terrible between 2007 and 2016 the rams never had a winning record including multiple 1 wins campaigns. the team has been bad but to say they are in a spot the cleveland browns are seems a bit crazy to me. there are teams worst then the nfl today. there are teams that had been worst. the browns had 12 straight losing seasons. that is 3 times more then the broncos are currently. it seems you are overreacting on somethings. making bland statements on others that sound way worst then they are. to say they are setting records for losing seasons is crazy. it is a Broncos record. the broncos have been a really good organization for a while. and alot of good organizations have down points. look at the Packers during the 80ties before they got Farve. there have been teams that have been way worst. i would still take what the broncos have over a few current teams. nor are they as bad as the Browns have been recently.
                      I was referring to the Broncos only.

Comment

Whoa there sir. Pretty harsh words. It almost sounds like you're on the brink of abandoning the Broncos to start looking at another team to support. If you do, hopefully it won't be the other three AFC West teams or Pat's, Buc's or that team Jerry Jones owns. Yuk!

I'm attempting to keep a positive "patient" attitude about the Broncos for 2021 in spite of the past few years. And I'll admit, I like you am struggling to maintain my patience. It's hard not knowing what will happen in the next 7 months but I refuse to assume it will be more doom and gloom but I realize it might be. I'm in a wait and see mode until we start a solid our journey out of this negative valley we're in or if we continue sliding deeper into it. Everyone is very anxious about all the future unknowns. Although somewhat thin, my patience is intact and I believe there's a decent possibility the path toward the top of the mountain may be in sight. However....only time will tell.
                        Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

Whoa there sir. Pretty harsh words. It almost sounds like you're on the brink of abandoning the Broncos to start looking at another team to support. If you do, hopefully it won't be the other three AFC West teams or Pat's, Buc's or that team Jerry Jones owns. Yuk!

I'm attempting to keep a positive "patient" attitude about the Broncos for 2021 in spite of the past few years. And I'll admit, I like you am struggling to maintain my patience. It's hard not knowing what will happen in the next 7 months but I refuse to assume it will be more doom and gloom but I realize it might be. I'm in a wait and see mode until we start a solid our journey out of this negative valley we're in or if we continue sliding deeper into it. Everyone is very anxious about all the future unknowns. Although somewhat thin, my patience is intact and I believe there's a decent possibility the path toward the top of the mountain may be in sight. However....only time will tell.
                          See my friend....you stood up for that guy last night, but I see your'e starting to see the light today.....this cat has only been on the boards for less than 4 months and he's got all of us bickering . He is a Raider troll

Comment

I dont blame DiveInstructor. This team has become near impossible to watch, and when you have 5 losing seasons, patience isn't a real virtue. Lock had more than ten games straight with a turnover, leading to most of those as losses. It'd clear that Paton doesn't think he's the answer, and that Lock doesn't have the full support of the locker room. Players actively campaigning for Watson while along with Paton trying to give away 1st round picks for Stafford tell you everything. He has trouble reading the field and making the right play. He also has injury issues. I'm fine with another year on him, but only because there isn't a better option out there minus Watson, which I don't see happening.

Alot of the patience talks is very reminiscent of end of Vance Joseph's 1st year, which ultimately showed nothing changed.
                            Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

See my friend....you stood up for that guy last night, but I see your'e starting to see the light today.....this cat has only been on the boards for less than 4 months and he's got all of us bickering . He is a Raider troll
                              How do you know DiveInstructor is a "guy"? And my daylight is the same as it was yesterday and the day before and so on. I believe you're assessment of DI is wrong and my positive assessment certainly be incorrect. I stand with him when I agree with his opinion which isn't always, and I push back to a degree when I don't agree. That's called considering an opposite opinion.

As far as your Raider troll comment....maybe....but I choose to not condemn or accuse him at this time. Innocent until proven guilty is still valid in this country correct?

As for his "4 month newbie status"....so what. I didn't know there is a "newbie probation period" before a new forum member who appears to be a Bronco fan is allowed to post strong positive or negative opinions about the Broncos. Maybe DI is much more frustrated with the Broncos than the average frustration seen here.

What is that "newbie probation period" so the MODS can add it to the forum rules so future newbies understand coming in here with questionable attitudes better walk on egg shells until they are welcomed with open arms by other members?
                              Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Whoa....dems fighting words, pardner.

My intent here was never anything more than posting my opinion and exchanging opinions. And, it's not me who's causing the differences and infighting in the fan base. You can thank the team for that. If the Broncos were winning SB's, we'd pretty much be all one big happy family. Consecutive losing seasons by the Broncos is what's eroding the fan-base.

BTW, the Raiders were one of the few teams I took joy in watching them get beat and fail, and not just by the Broncos.

Comment

Working...
                                X