Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your player strategy/plans to rebuild the Broncos dynasty?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Your player strategy/plans to rebuild the Broncos dynasty?

    Prior to Elway's departure, there were a few years where the Broncos were a dominating franchise. After Elway left, it wasn't until Manning's return where the Broncos became a team of national recognition again. I'm sure when many of us remember the great Broncos, we think of those years. Sure, there were some other brief moments of those brackets in time where we thought the Broncos were at that level, but from what I can remember (my Broncos fandom originating from the end of the Elway era), nothing was really like those years I mention.

    So, if you sort of agree, or at least kind of want your great Broncos back, how would you do it? I see these snippets of, "we should do this with Lock", or "we should get this CB this draft at #9". But, I don't hear much of what to do beyond that.

    My 2 cents:
    • Always a firm believer that the cornerstone of a dynasty is its HOF capable QB. Build around that guy, and target him first when you're down, because the draft position of poor teams are close to the place in the draft where the likelihood of getting a very good QB is greatest.. Building elsewhere on the team and trying to win with Case Keesum (LOL) isn't a plan for a dynasty.
    • Trade up with Miami to get that #2 pick and get Wilson. Given what the #2 is worth and what the #9 is worth, giving up the #9 and the 2nd round pick this year and next is an equivalent. Maybe throw in a later round next year, if necessary, or offer Von. So, the team doesn't give up much draft capital. If it isn't working out year 1 (probably won't....since QBs tend to take at least that first year), chances are the team will unfortunately have another top 1st round pick next year, and you can do it again as your back-up plan in case your first guy doesn't pan out by end of 2nd year or early year 3.
    • Make sure you re-sign at least one, if not more Broncos at each major part of the team (e.g., defensive backfield, defensive front, LB positions, offensive line, WR and/or TE). These players would be the draftees that showed they can constantly contribute, which includes heart, health, and talent. I don't care if when that guy is turning FA the team has to pay a premium, since by the time the following year comes, someone will be getting paid more. Sign that guy for another 4 years. sooner than later, just in case you can get a bit of a discount. Simmons is a great example of a guy who has earned his place to anchor the defense.
    • Spend to the cap limit, and maybe even a little beyond. The teams with the greatest cap space are pretty much the worst teams in the NFL. The teams with the deepest cap problems are mostly post season contenders. Go look at the list. That doesn't mean throw money at any player who is a free agent because you think you can turn him around here. James is a great example (that'd be Ju'wuan James, in case you don't remember because of his invisibility).
    • Draft guys who show heart, health, integrity, and football prowess before flat out talent. The team needs leaders and depth as much, if not more, than it does a fast 40.
    • Player order of importance during the rebuild is QB, offensive line (both pass protect and road graders), pass rush and run D. Offensive guys seem tougher to fit in the NFL, whereas defensive players are easier to spot.

    I haven't covered it all, but I'm sure many are bored to tears by now or are saying, "what an idiot!"

    So, what's your plan, if you have one?
    Last edited by DiveInstructor; 03-03-2021, 09:29 AM.

  • #2
    It would cost a helluva lot more than this years 2nd to jump from #9 to #2. Your looking at next years first plus
    sigpic
    2012 Broncos Country Pick 'Em Challenge Champion

    Comment


    • #3
      Honestly my “wish list” plan starts at the top. Resolve the ownership, front office and coaching issues.

      Broncos are missing consistent and reliable decision-making. They have no identity or plan. They keep being reactive instead of setting a course and sticking to it. Likely because they have no Faith in the plan.

      It takes ownership to hold the FO accountable. It takes trust in a GM to have a blueprint. It takes a coaching staff that has leadership skills to create and maintain a winning culture. It takes a fanbase showing some patience and willing to trust “ the plan” is solid and the team is going in the right direction. It takes more then a season or two after every “reset” or change of plans and coaches. Once leadership is established the players will follow.

      It is easy to be disgruntled and frustrated with fall of our Broncos. But the only constant the past five years has been change. From ownership to the way they draft and sign FAs.

      IMO the organization needs to find and develop that culture of winning again. As of today, do you trust the ownership and FO to do so? Do you trust Elway and Paton? What about Fangio and Shurmur? Lock? A rookie QB? An established QB? Are they building something or just treading water until the next reactive hire?

      I personally don’t have the magic answer of how to make it better. But I do know this organizational instability is not working.

      Comment


      • #4
        "Arm Chair Bronco Management".....here comes the plethora of opinions. Is anyone going to create a "spread sheet" of possibilities?
        Utah Bronco Freak

        Comment


        • #5
          QB,Offensive line, defensive line, offensive line, defensive line. Ill worry about skill players once the lines are beefed and dominant.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by DiveInstructor View Post
            Prior to Elway's departure, there were a few years where the Broncos were a dominating franchise. After Elway left, it wasn't until Manning's return where the Broncos became a team of national recognition again. I'm sure when many of us remember the great Broncos, we think of those years. Sure, there were some other brief moments of those brackets in time where we thought the Broncos were at that level, but from what I can remember (my Broncos fandom originating from the end of the Elway era), nothing was really like those years I mention.

            So, if you sort of agree, or at least kind of want your great Broncos back, how would you do it? I see these snippets of, "we should do this with Lock", or "we should get this CB this draft at #9". But, I don't hear much of what to do beyond that.

            My 2 cents:
            • Always a firm believer that the cornerstone of a dynasty is its HOF capable QB. Build around that guy, and target him first when you're down, because the draft position of poor teams are close to the place in the draft where the likelihood of getting a very good QB is greatest.. Building elsewhere on the team and trying to win with Case Keesum (LOL) isn't a plan for a dynasty.
            • Trade up with Miami to get that #2 pick and get Wilson. Given what the #2 is worth and what the #9 is worth, giving up the #9 and the 2nd round pick is an equivalent. Maybe throw in a later round next year. So, the team doesn't give up much draft capital. If it isn't working out year 1 (probably won't....since QBs tend to take at least that first year), chances are the team will unfortunately have another top 1st round pick next year, and you can do it again as your back-up plan in case your first guy doesn't pan out by end of 2nd year or early year 3.
            • Make sure you re-sign at least one, if not more Broncos at each major part of the team (e.g., defensive backfield, defensive front, LB positions, offensive line, WR and/or TE). These players would be the draftees that showed they can constantly contribute, which includes heart, health, and talent. I don't care if when that guy is turning FA the team has to pay a premium, since by the time the following year comes, someone will be getting paid more. Sign that guy for another 4 years. sooner than later, just in case you can get a bit of a discount. Simmons is a great example of a guy who has earned his place to anchor the defense.
            • Spend to the cap limit, and maybe even a little beyond. The teams with the greatest cap space are pretty much the worst teams in the NFL. The teams with the deepest cap problems are mostly post season contenders. Go look at the list. That doesn't mean throw money at any player who is a free agent because you think you can turn him around here. James is a great example (that'd be Ju'wuan James, in case you don't remember because of his invisibility).
            • Draft guys who show heart, health, integrity, and football prowess before flat out talent. The team needs leaders and depth as much, if not more, than it does a fast 40.
            • Player order of importance during the rebuild is QB, offensive line (both pass protect and road graders), pass rush and run D. Offensive guys seem tougher to fit in the NFL, whereas defensive players are easier to spot.

            I haven't covered it all, but I'm sure many are bored to tears by now or are saying, "what an idiot!"

            So, what's your plan, if you have one?
            Great thread. I am excited to read everyone's plans and to discern everyone's rationale for their choices!

            It's fun to pretend to be the General Manager of an NFL league team called the Denver Broncos, but while it is fun I quickly realized how little I know about capspace, free agents, contracts, financial matters. Much more, ownership drama. All those aspects. But still it is fun, and as a casual football fan I submit my plan to restore the Denver Broncos to relevance.

            Philosophy: The Denver Broncos will be relevant to all NFL fans due to ability to win against each of the 32 teams in the NFL.

            Goal: One Super Bowl between 2021-2031, and at least 8 playoff appearances.

            Action Plan:

            1. Stick with Drew Lock. (I'm not an expert. I watched highlight videos on youtube of all places, and none of the three later first round qb's available made a throw or play that I feel Lock couldn't make as well.)
            2. Draft, trade, and use free agency exclusively for Defense.
            3. Keep Von Mller. Just get it done.
            4. Keep Shelby Harris. Just get it done.
            5. Move Justin Simmons to a coverage linebacker for tight ends.
            6. Find another deep threat big body tight end to line up opposite of Noah Fant.
            7. Find a true three down running back. A bruiser with six gears who can control the pace of the game. Easier said then done, I know.

            I admitted I'm a casual football fan, so forgive my lack of insight. If I was the General Manager of the Denver Broncos, I would build a heavy run team with excellent defense and bank on Drew Lock having the "it" factor. If Drew Lock doesn't, well were still a franchise with a great running game and an elite defense so we can choose our qb in the next following years.

            Anyways, justabroncosfan signing off. Have a great day everyone.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by justabroncosfan View Post

              Great thread. I am excited to read everyone's plans and to discern everyone's rationale for their choices!

              It's fun to pretend to be the General Manager of an NFL league team called the Denver Broncos, but while it is fun I quickly realized how little I know about capspace, free agents, contracts, financial matters. Much more, ownership drama. All those aspects. But still it is fun, and as a casual football fan I submit my plan to restore the Denver Broncos to relevance.

              Philosophy: The Denver Broncos will be relevant to all NFL fans due to ability to win against each of the 32 teams in the NFL.

              Goal: One Super Bowl between 2021-2031, and at least 8 playoff appearances.

              Action Plan:

              1. Stick with Drew Lock. (I'm not an expert. I watched highlight videos on youtube of all places, and none of the three later first round qb's available made a throw or play that I feel Lock couldn't make as well.)
              2. Draft, trade, and use free agency exclusively for Defense.
              3. Keep Von Mller. Just get it done.
              4. Keep Shelby Harris. Just get it done.
              5. Move Justin Simmons to a coverage linebacker for tight ends.
              6. Find another deep threat big body tight end to line up opposite of Noah Fant.
              7. Find a true three down running back. A bruiser with six gears who can control the pace of the game. Easier said then done, I know.

              I admitted I'm a casual football fan, so forgive my lack of insight. If I was the General Manager of the Denver Broncos, I would build a heavy run team with excellent defense and bank on Drew Lock having the "it" factor. If Drew Lock doesn't, well were still a franchise with a great running game and an elite defense so we can choose our qb in the next following years.

              Anyways, justabroncosfan signing off. Have a great day everyone.
              isnt that what Albert O is for
              sigpic
              when do native Americans become human and not mascots

              Comment


              • #8
                There's so many variables and elements of luck to everything, so for the sake of my plan I'm going to hold our coaching staff "constant" throughout.

                Plan A: Go all-in for Watson, whether it's before, during, or after the draft. Do whatever it takes (short of trading all of our draft picks). No current Broncos player is untradeable when it comes to landing a superstar QB. Plus, you can only trade up to 3 years into the future with draft picks, so it's not like the long-term draft capital is completely depleted. His cap hit in 2021 is only $10.54M, so that will allow us to re-sign Simmons, Harris, and our key RFAs. Any remaining cap should go to getting a CB (Desmond King or Ahkello Witherspoon, anyone?). Use what is left of our 2021 draft picks to strengthen the depth of our roster, especially on defense. In 2022, Watson's contract balloons to $35M-- but by then, Von, KJack, Gordon, Callahan, Vannett, and Driskel would be FAs (and cutting James would net us $8M in cap space-- albeit with a $6M dead money hit, much better than if we were to cut him this year though). If Chubb is somehow on our roster post-Watson trade, we should exercise his 5th year option. Extend Courtland Sutton. Use free agency and the draft to continue shoring up the defense and get Fangio better personnel fits for his defense. RT would be the only question mark on the offensive side of the ball, so best-case scenario James steps up-- OR if we move on from him, look towards an in-house, Munchak-developed solution (Calvin Anderson) or use our 3rd/4th round picks on athletic OT projects that typically fall to that range. All in all, having Watson on a promising, ascendant Broncos team would make Denver a much more attractive destination for free agents and would bolster our long-term outlook when it comes to the roster construction, even if draft capital takes a short-term hit. We saw how competitive Fangio was with that carcass of a defense that was the 2020 Broncos. Imagine what it would be like with our offense set for the foreseeable future and subsequent offseason focus is on transforming the defense to fulfill Fangio's vision.

                Plan B: Trade up to #4 or by some miracle at #9 we land Justin Fields. He is my favorite QB in the draft. Every year I feel like I'm guilty of asserting that the current crop of QBs in the draft is more talented than the next year's (probably my recency bias in full-swing), but I genuinely believe it this time. As much as I like Sam Howell and Spencer Rattler, and as much as I am intrigued by Desmond Ridder, Kedon Slovis, and Jayden Daniels... I have more confidence in Fields to succeed as a starting QB in the NFL than I do the others. Plus, with how inherently talented this Denver roster is-- I highly doubt we will be picking his high again. During the Elway era, the highest draft capital we've invested at QB have been a late 1st round pick (Lynch), a high 2nd round pick (Lock), and a late 2nd round pick (Osweiler). What do they all have in common? They were all cannon-arm projects with major question marks coming out of college (and tall, as people like to joke). Fields is a high-floor prospect IMO with his plus-mobility, polished mechanics, and accuracy... it's about time to swing for the fences on a blue-chip talent at QB. Just like with Plan A, re-sign our key FAs and RFAs. Continue building the depth of our defense with what is left of our cap and draft picks. If Von cannot be extended at a more affordable rate in 2022, look to the draft to inject some juice at EDGE along with Chubb/Reed. With a talented QB on a rookie contract, cap space will not be an issue for awhile... reward our in-house talents with extensions in the coming years (Chubb, Sutton, Fant, Risner, Jones, etc.). If James does not step up in 2021, replace him. I'm fine with how we are doing in the trenches on both sides of the ball-- it really is only RT that sticks out like a sore thumb.

                Plan C: Stick with Drew Lock. This is probably the most realistic scenario and a plan that offers the most flexibility, but at the same time has the biggest likelihood of languishing in mediocrity. Extend Simmons, Harris, RFAs, etc... add a veteran CB in FA. Stay at #9 and take the best defensive player in the draft OR trade down and obtain more draft capital. If we come away with one of Farley, JOK, Surtain II, Ojulari, Parsons, Paye, or Horn-- I would be happy. The 2021 draft is a real chance to add real cornerstones to our defense. Despite the fact that defense has been the strength of this team since 2015, I feel like it has been lacking a real identity. Grabbing any of the aforementioned players in the 1st round would help that issue greatly. If we come away with one or two of Oweh, Phillips, Newsome, Samuel Jr., Nixon, Davis, or Cox in the 2nd round-- I would be happy. In the 3rd round, keep building defense-- guys like Adebo, Roche, McNeill, or even Wade-- or turn towards offense and get Munchak a nice project at OT in Hudson. And hey, if we are truly sour on James, why not go Slater/Darrisaw (or even Sewell if CIN somehow passes on him) and solve our RT woes for a 10+ years? That would truly eliminate any excuse for Lock not to produce or be successful in his second full season of starting-- while also having continuity under Shurmur. We would still be able to grab those other defensive prospects beyond the 1st round. A strong defense gives this roster a high floor no matter how Lock (or any other QB) fares. If Lock remains a bottom-third QB in the NFL, look to 2022 to be aggressive in drafting a QB. We would have barely any holes on both sides of the ball at that point. KC traded from #27 to #10 in 2017 to draft Mahomes. No matter how well we do in 2021, the opportunity will always be there to make a move for "your guy" at QB. Regardless, 2022 is such a pivotal year in all scenarios since huge contracts for Denver start to come off the books-- truly providing an opportunity to shape the Broncos roster in whatever vision one sees fit. Again, I'm all for rewarding our talented, home-grown guys and looking to strengthen Fangio's defense to terrorize our AFC West rivals.

                TL;DR: We are in better shape long-term than most people think... any path at QB is a gamble, so take your pick and do it before the 2022 season. Strengthen the defense on all levels to Fangio's vision, including re-signing key FAs and using most of our picks within the next 2 years on defensive personnel. The 2022 offseason will be just as, if not more important, than this year's offseason. Assuming we address QB as a high-priority, RT is the ONLY remaining offensive question mark. So basically, how we rebuild the Broncos dynasty is making a move at QB soon-- and building defense long-term.

                2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
                Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
                  There's so many variables and elements of luck to everything, so for the sake of my plan I'm going to hold our coaching staff "constant" throughout.

                  Plan A: Go all-in for Watson, whether it's before, during, or after the draft. Do whatever it takes (short of trading all of our draft picks). No current Broncos player is untradeable when it comes to landing a superstar QB. Plus, you can only trade up to 3 years into the future with draft picks, so it's not like the long-term draft capital is completely depleted. His cap hit in 2021 is only $10.54M, so that will allow us to re-sign Simmons, Harris, and our key RFAs. Any remaining cap should go to getting a CB (Desmond King or Ahkello Witherspoon, anyone?). Use what is left of our 2021 draft picks to strengthen the depth of our roster, especially on defense. In 2022, Watson's contract balloons to $35M-- but by then, Von, KJack, Gordon, Callahan, Vannett, and Driskel would be FAs (and cutting James would net us $8M in cap space-- albeit with a $6M dead money hit, much better than if we were to cut him this year though). If Chubb is somehow on our roster post-Watson trade, we should exercise his 5th year option. Extend Courtland Sutton. Use free agency and the draft to continue shoring up the defense and get Fangio better personnel fits for his defense. RT would be the only question mark on the offensive side of the ball, so best-case scenario James steps up-- OR if we move on from him, look towards an in-house, Munchak-developed solution (Calvin Anderson) or use our 3rd/4th round picks on athletic OT projects that typically fall to that range. All in all, having Watson on a promising, ascendant Broncos team would make Denver a much more attractive destination for free agents and would bolster our long-term outlook when it comes to the roster construction, even if draft capital takes a short-term hit. We saw how competitive Fangio was with that carcass of a defense that was the 2020 Broncos. Imagine what it would be like with our offense set for the foreseeable future and subsequent offseason focus is on transforming the defense to fulfill Fangio's vision.

                  Plan B: Trade up to #4 or by some miracle at #9 we land Justin Fields. He is my favorite QB in the draft. Every year I feel like I'm guilty of asserting that the current crop of QBs in the draft is more talented than the next year's (probably my recency bias in full-swing), but I genuinely believe it this time. As much as I like Sam Howell and Spencer Rattler, and as much as I am intrigued by Desmond Ridder, Kedon Slovis, and Jayden Daniels... I have more confidence in Fields to succeed as a starting QB in the NFL than I do the others. Plus, with how inherently talented this Denver roster is-- I highly doubt we will be picking his high again. During the Elway era, the highest draft capital we've invested at QB have been a late 1st round pick (Lynch), a high 2nd round pick (Lock), and a late 2nd round pick (Osweiler). What do they all have in common? They were all cannon-arm projects with major question marks coming out of college (and tall, as people like to joke). Fields is a high-floor prospect IMO with his plus-mobility, polished mechanics, and accuracy... it's about time to swing for the fences on a blue-chip talent at QB. Just like with Plan A, re-sign our key FAs and RFAs. Continue building the depth of our defense with what is left of our cap and draft picks. If Von cannot be extended at a more affordable rate in 2022, look to the draft to inject some juice at EDGE along with Chubb/Reed. With a talented QB on a rookie contract, cap space will not be an issue for awhile... reward our in-house talents with extensions in the coming years (Chubb, Sutton, Fant, Risner, Jones, etc.). If James does not step up in 2021, replace him. I'm fine with how we are doing in the trenches on both sides of the ball-- it really is only RT that sticks out like a sore thumb.

                  Plan C: Stick with Drew Lock. This is probably the most realistic scenario and a plan that offers the most flexibility, but at the same time has the biggest likelihood of languishing in mediocrity. Extend Simmons, Harris, RFAs, etc... add a veteran CB in FA. Stay at #9 and take the best defensive player in the draft OR trade down and obtain more draft capital. If we come away with one of Farley, JOK, Surtain II, Ojulari, Parsons, Paye, or Horn-- I would be happy. The 2021 draft is a real chance to add real cornerstones to our defense. Despite the fact that defense has been the strength of this team since 2015, I feel like it has been lacking a real identity. Grabbing any of the aforementioned players in the 1st round would help that issue greatly. If we come away with one or two of Oweh, Phillips, Newsome, Samuel Jr., Nixon, Davis, or Cox in the 2nd round-- I would be happy. In the 3rd round, keep building defense-- guys like Adebo, Roche, McNeill, or even Wade-- or turn towards offense and get Munchak a nice project at OT in Hudson. And hey, if we are truly sour on James, why not go Slater/Darrisaw (or even Sewell if CIN somehow passes on him) and solve our RT woes for a 10+ years? That would truly eliminate any excuse for Lock not to produce or be successful in his second full season of starting-- while also having continuity under Shurmur. We would still be able to grab those other defensive prospects beyond the 1st round. A strong defense gives this roster a high floor no matter how Lock (or any other QB) fares. If Lock remains a bottom-third QB in the NFL, look to 2022 to be aggressive in drafting a QB. We would have barely any holes on both sides of the ball at that point. KC traded from #27 to #10 in 2017 to draft Mahomes. No matter how well we do in 2021, the opportunity will always be there to make a move for "your guy" at QB. Regardless, 2022 is such a pivotal year in all scenarios since huge contracts for Denver start to come off the books-- truly providing an opportunity to shape the Broncos roster in whatever vision one sees fit. Again, I'm all for rewarding our talented, home-grown guys and looking to strengthen Fangio's defense to terrorize our AFC West rivals.

                  TL;DR: We are in better shape long-term than most people think... any path at QB is a gamble, so take your pick and do it before the 2022 season. Strengthen the defense on all levels to Fangio's vision, including re-signing key FAs and using most of our picks within the next 2 years on defensive personnel. The 2022 offseason will be just as, if not more important, than this year's offseason. Assuming we address QB as a high-priority, RT is the ONLY remaining offensive question mark. So basically, how we rebuild the Broncos dynasty is making a move at QB soon-- and building defense long-term.
                  Wow! You put a lot of work into this. I actually agree with all of the Plans. Yep Plan C is what I see Denver doing right now. All of those players named in Plan C should make Denver better and more capable of a playoff run if QB play responds with it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by TH3JUICEMAN View Post
                    It would cost a helluva lot more than this years 2nd to jump from #9 to #2. Your looking at next years first plus
                    You're right. I had my values wrong. Corrected it in the post, although a first next year I don't believe is necessary, the way I'd try to get it done. I'd prefer not to let that first next year go in case the QB plan blows up and I need to bring in another back-up.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Man, great thoughts, guys (and gals?). Love the opinions, whether or not they are in alignment to mine. Keep 'em coming!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                        Honestly my “wish list” plan starts at the top. Resolve the ownership, front office and coaching issues.

                        Broncos are missing consistent and reliable decision-making. They have no identity or plan. They keep being reactive instead of setting a course and sticking to it. Likely because they have no Faith in the plan.

                        It takes ownership to hold the FO accountable. It takes trust in a GM to have a blueprint. It takes a coaching staff that has leadership skills to create and maintain a winning culture. It takes a fanbase showing some patience and willing to trust “ the plan” is solid and the team is going in the right direction. It takes more then a season or two after every “reset” or change of plans and coaches. Once leadership is established the players will follow.

                        It is easy to be disgruntled and frustrated with fall of our Broncos. But the only constant the past five years has been change. From ownership to the way they draft and sign FAs.

                        IMO the organization needs to find and develop that culture of winning again. As of today, do you trust the ownership and FO to do so? Do you trust Elway and Paton? What about Fangio and Shurmur? Lock? A rookie QB? An established QB? Are they building something or just treading water until the next reactive hire?

                        I personally don’t have the magic answer of how to make it better. But I do know this organizational instability is not working.
                        Yeah, the first thought is about the ownership, management, and coaching. But, I was just targeting the players, assuming the structure in the guys who run the team remains the same. Nothing wrong with you throwing that in there, since it is a big deal!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Just difficult time predict without direction from above.

                          I’ll play along. As I stated, I want some continuity and stability. So my first wish list item is that Paton gives very public support to our coaches and Lock. They start working today with that as the focus. Add that Watson gets traded so that distraction is off the table.

                          Restructure Miller. Re-sign Simmons, Harris. Keep Lindsey, Cut Gordon. Sign two quality Free Agent CBs, DT, and a Swing tackle better then Wilkerson. Vet back up QB to compete/ mentor Lock.

                          in the draft I am targeting ILB (Parsons or Cox later) RB (Williams /Sermon 2nd rd) 3rd rd (Secondary best CB or S on the board. I’m intrigued by S Hufanga from USC) 4th rd best OT in the board. After that start filling in the depth chart and hope you get a couple players.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Good topic! Good effort by those putting it all out there.

                            I will not be as detailed as some, but this has been my general plan since the season ended:

                            A) Until we have a true starter at QB, we will likely struggle to be a contender. Lets not think that our last SB Victory is a blue print for success. Even a great D can not guarantee wins. The longer they are on he field, the less likely they can dominate. So yes....I am completely in The Watson hunt, until he is absolutely not available to us. Because for me, there is no other quick way to give confidence in our QB situation. Lock can be decent, but will he be a true leader/performer? I don't think we know yet. Maybe I am giving up too soon, but I tend to remind folks that, if he does not progress this year, then we are starting over....again. We have not secured a good QB since well before Manning. That's too long!

                            Yes, we will have to give up a load of resources...some high draft picks and a player or two. But remember, a proven young stud QB - Watson, is not the same as futures. Some will turn out I am sure, but some probably won't. And the odds of any QB draftee being better than Watson are small. Maybe Lawrence. Maybe one other. But Lawrence is not happening for us, and the "one other" might not be the one we draft. Going into last season I viewed Watson as one of the best QBs in football. And he is still soooo young!

                            And if we landed him, or even Wilson (somehow), I would immediately focus attention on upgrading our D. Simmons stays. But we need FA and draft help. I see a need for an Edge defender (2 if we lose Chubb or Von), a couple of DBs, and an ILB. Minimum. We could easily find 2 or 3 in FA....and supplement with draft picks after the projected trade (for Watson). Those draft picks would not likely begin before round 3, but if FA is handled well, we could definitely find some talent from rounds 3-5 to complement.

                            The key...find your franchise QB and build a team around that player. As has been repeated by some of us, "if you find it (franchise QB), they will come"....as in, Free Agents who want in...in Denver!

                            B) My plan B is to keep Lock, but seek out a QB in the 3rd round or lower, who has most of the boxes ticked, but may be overlooked for various reasons. But no earlier than 3, because this will be the year of "Lock and See". There is no doubt that Drew could step it up a little this year. Did not like his overall year, given how good he looked in those 5 games in 2019. Seemed a little less professional. BUT, he is young. So we go with him, maybe bring in a mid rounder, and do all we can to make him successful.

                            My plan C (which probably does not happen), is based on drafting a QB early. BUT I am not enamored with that, given we have Lock and we may have to use some draft cap to move up in round one...and in the end, we may not find our long term QB. That's too much risk for me.

                            Back to B...we use as little FA/Draft cap on O as possible. This is open the flood the gates, D time! The plan is to give Lock and backups one more year, while building as good a D as can be hoped for. Spend in FA, given Watson is not involved. Personally, I'd go after one of the top ILBs and DBs. But regardless, I want at least 2 quality defenders from FA. And in The Draft, I really like Parsons with our 1st pick (depending on FA). Otherwise the best CB. But I would be fine with trading back as well, to add picks. We may even be able to select another OT if we have enough capital in round one, after trading back. But after that, mostly D. I don't profess to know the best players, but BPA in defensive positions is a good rule to follow. The only other O I would consider is a tough RB, mid round. RBs can be found!

                            And yes, if we do not have a good season, and Lock does not impress (nor backups), I make QB our #1 priority in '22, even if that means FA/Trade. We can not wait longer.

                            C) Hope that our fav QB (not named Lawrence) falls a little, and focus on how to land him. I mentioned, I don't particularly care for having Lock and a potential starter at a high draft price. That's a lot to gamble on a "maybe" outcome. But say Zach Wilson is the QB we want....maybe go for him, which likely means a trade of some really good picks. It's almost too much for me to comprehend...but I'd consider it if the scouting reports supported it. But wow, we may come out of it with no QB in a few years, and loss of so much draft cap!

                            And if we make that deal, and have any intentions of doing it before FA ends...we have to follow the same plan as above....go D!!! Especially in FA, because we may not have much left in this year's draft until round 3 or 4. As above, unless we land Watson, we have to think D this year. A really good D will give us hope while trying to fulfill our QB journey.


                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                              Just difficult time predict without direction from above.

                              I’ll play along. As I stated, I want some continuity and stability. So my first wish list item is that Paton gives very public support to our coaches and Lock. They start working today with that as the focus. Add that Watson gets traded so that distraction is off the table.

                              Restructure Miller. Re-sign Simmons, Harris. Keep Lindsey, Cut Gordon. Sign two quality Free Agent CBs, DT, and a Swing tackle better then Wilkerson. Vet back up QB to compete/ mentor Lock.

                              in the draft I am targeting ILB (Parsons or Cox later) RB (Williams /Sermon 2nd rd) 3rd rd (Secondary best CB or S on the board. I’m intrigued by S Hufanga from USC) 4th rd best OT in the board. After that start filling in the depth chart and hope you get a couple players.
                              Oh, in no way am I predicting anything or asking anyone to do that. It's more of what your plan for the Broncos future would be, if you had anything to do with it. Your opinion is as good as anyone's here. I think hearing/reading others' plans for the team would be interesting, since many of us talk mainly of one or two players and what might/should happen with them.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X