Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your player strategy/plans to rebuild the Broncos dynasty?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by armedequation View Post
    and as far as I know Daniel Faalele is going back to u of m. ive cant find anything that verifies that but thats the latest ive heard. I would love for us to get him and see what munchak can do with him
    Long arms?
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

      Hey Rich_C....are you up to the task of answering all 10 of Coach / GM Samparnell's in depth questions including multiple varying answers? Good Luck....
      What's your take?
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by samparnell View Post

        Long arms?
        6-9 400pound former rugby player for u of m

        and per instagram he is returning to u of m
        Last edited by armedequation; 03-12-2021, 06:55 PM.
        Glen Haven Fire

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by armedequation View Post

          6-9 400pound former rugby player for u of m

          and per instagram he is returning to u of m
          which is good for him. he may be able to work him self in the first round with a good year.
          sigpic
          oakland raders gm
          latavis murray trade bait

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by samparnell View Post

            What's your take?
            Well, sorry to say, I don't have a take. I'll be the first to admit, I know very little to pretty much nothing about the complex, diverse mechanics of NFL football. You obviously have an extremely vast knowledge of the complex, diverse mechanics of NFL football....very impressive. My guess is you played / coached adult football in your life and maybe still do. That's why your opinions in this forum are well respected and many members including me learn a lot from your knowledge. Bronco Country and this forum is very fortunate to have you as a member and I'll assume you have a strong Colorado background.


            My question to Rich_C was in no way a dig at you (actually was respect) and I'm hoping he / she responds to your questions. Not that I would know if their answers were good, bad or ugly. I'm just curious how the dialog would transpire between you two knowing it would be way over my head but none the less interesting seeing each others strategies.

            I just hope Bronco management makes sound, logical decisions knowing the risk factors are always present with any decision and certainly the injury factor can be a huge wrench in the works.
            Hopefully the Broncos can improve significantly as we slide into the season.

            to you samp and
            Utah Bronco Freak

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

              Well, sorry to say, I don't have a take. I'll be the first to admit, I know very little to pretty much nothing about the complex, diverse mechanics of NFL football. You obviously have an extremely vast knowledge of the complex, diverse mechanics of NFL football....very impressive. My guess is you played / coached adult football in your life and maybe still do. That's why your opinions in this forum are well respected and many members including me learn a lot from your knowledge. Bronco Country and this forum is very fortunate to have you as a member and I'll assume you have a strong Colorado background.


              My question to Rich_C was in no way a dig at you (actually was respect) and I'm hoping he / she responds to your questions. Not that I would know if their answers were good, bad or ugly. I'm just curious how the dialog would transpire between you two knowing it would be way over my head but none the less interesting seeing each others strategies.

              I just hope Bronco management makes sound, logical decisions knowing the risk factors are always present with any decision and certainly the injury factor can be a huge wrench in the works.
              Hopefully the Broncos can improve significantly as we slide into the season.

              to you samp and
              Thanks. You are too kind.

              I was interested because rushing attacks and O-Line play are an interest. The two model rushing attacks mentioned, Titans and Ravens, are different, so it would be a choice of emulating one or the other.

              Lamar Jackson was Baltimore's leading rusher although three other guys (i.e., Dobbins, Edwards, Ingram) contributed to the league's leading rushing attack. It's still pretty QB-centric. Baltimore's O was 58% run which is run heavy. Having a Baltimore style rushing attack would require a really good running QB who completes over 60% of his pass attempts with about 7 ypa. Don't know how many of Jackson's rushing attempts came on called passes, or how many of his pass attempts were play action.

              Tennessee was second in rushing yards and ypa, but 73% of their rushing attempts belong to Derrick Henry who had his best season in 2020. He is big, physical and durable, and had over 2000 rushing yards and 17 rushing TDs with 5.4 ypa in 2020. He had 116 yards on 31 attempts at Denver in the 2020 season opener for 3.7 ypa which was almost a third of their total yards in a close game. In 2019 Denver held Henry to 28 yards on 15 attempts, so it is possible to negate his contribution to their offense. In 2020 Tennessee's O was 52% run which is balanced by NFL standards. Titans' passing attack complemented the rushing attack benefiting from opposing D's necessity of stopping Henry. Do not know what percentage of Tannehill's passing attempts were PAP.

              Having a rushing attack like Tennessee's would require a stud RB and an offensive commitment to rushing around 50% of the plays. In view of the fact that Derrick Henry, Dalvin Cook, Jonathan Taylor and Nick Chubb were drafted in the second round, and David Montgomery in the third suggests a first round pick isn't necessary in order to acquire a starting RB to carry the load of the rushing attack. Aaron Jones was picked in the fifth round and James Robinson was undrafted in 2020 and they led their team's rushing attack well last year.

              So. there's a difference between the two styles of rushing attacks. Beyond that are the questions about how to block the run plays, what kind of O-Linemen are needed, formations, blocking participation by non-linemen and using series-based rushing attack(s)

              Denver was 44% run in 2020, I believe, which is just a bit pass heavy. Maybe they already have most of what they need personnel-wise and just need more commitment to running the ball. Broncos had a very young offense with many new players having no benefit of Spring installation on the field plus learning a new system. Will be looking forward to how they look on offense this year after a "normal" (?) offseason. Am a believer in a balanced O. If half the plays are run and half the pass attempts are play action, three out of four plays look like run to the D front. Every good D at every level wants to stop/inhibit the opponent's rushing attack, because they know it will not go well if the opponent can run the ball effectively.

              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

              Comment


              • #37
                I have my doubts that shurmur can operate a run heavy offense. Just dont think thats his offensive cup of tea
                Glen Haven Fire

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by armedequation View Post
                  I have my doubts that shurmur can operate a run heavy offense. Just dont think thats his offensive cup of tea
                  What about balanced?
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by samparnell View Post

                    What about balanced?
                    it seemed like he did that in minn but has been pass heavy since ny. We have seen brief glimpses of run and play action but it doesnt seem like he stays with it long.
                    Glen Haven Fire

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by samparnell View Post

                      Thanks. You are too kind.

                      I was interested because rushing attacks and O-Line play are an interest. The two model rushing attacks mentioned, Titans and Ravens, are different, so it would be a choice of emulating one or the other.

                      Lamar Jackson was Baltimore's leading rusher although three other guys (i.e., Dobbins, Edwards, Ingram) contributed to the league's leading rushing attack. It's still pretty QB-centric. Baltimore's O was 58% run which is run heavy. Having a Baltimore style rushing attack would require a really good running QB who completes over 60% of his pass attempts with about 7 ypa. Don't know how many of Jackson's rushing attempts came on called passes, or how many of his pass attempts were play action.

                      Tennessee was second in rushing yards and ypa, but 73% of their rushing attempts belong to Derrick Henry who had his best season in 2020. He is big, physical and durable, and had over 2000 rushing yards and 17 rushing TDs with 5.4 ypa in 2020. He had 116 yards on 31 attempts at Denver in the 2020 season opener for 3.7 ypa which was almost a third of their total yards in a close game. In 2019 Denver held Henry to 28 yards on 15 attempts, so it is possible to negate his contribution to their offense. In 2020 Tennessee's O was 52% run which is balanced by NFL standards. Titans' passing attack complemented the rushing attack benefiting from opposing D's necessity of stopping Henry. Do not know what percentage of Tannehill's passing attempts were PAP.

                      Having a rushing attack like Tennessee's would require a stud RB and an offensive commitment to rushing around 50% of the plays. In view of the fact that Derrick Henry, Dalvin Cook, Jonathan Taylor and Nick Chubb were drafted in the second round, and David Montgomery in the third suggests a first round pick isn't necessary in order to acquire a starting RB to carry the load of the rushing attack. Aaron Jones was picked in the fifth round and James Robinson was undrafted in 2020 and they led their team's rushing attack well last year.

                      So. there's a difference between the two styles of rushing attacks. Beyond that are the questions about how to block the run plays, what kind of O-Linemen are needed, formations, blocking participation by non-linemen and using series-based rushing attack(s)

                      Denver was 44% run in 2020, I believe, which is just a bit pass heavy. Maybe they already have most of what they need personnel-wise and just need more commitment to running the ball. Broncos had a very young offense with many new players having no benefit of Spring installation on the field plus learning a new system. Will be looking forward to how they look on offense this year after a "normal" (?) offseason. Am a believer in a balanced O. If half the plays are run and half the pass attempts are play action, three out of four plays look like run to the D front. Every good D at every level wants to stop/inhibit the opponent's rushing attack, because they know it will not go well if the opponent can run the ball effectively.
                      I agree with your take on how important the run game is. Seems like the league is lacking the quality amount of big bruising or lighting quick RB's like the old days Obviously our QB situation is the biggest focus right now but a powerful rushing attack would be of high value too. I know it's wishing too much to end up with a high quality RB as in a Terrell Davis but having a stud QB and a stud RB is always a challenge for NFL teams to acquire. Defensive Coordinators must experience "high anxiety" when the opposing offense has a dynamic one - two punch....Elway / Davis type of combo and then also throw in a stud WR / TE and the DC anxiety gets more critical. Hopefully in the near future the Broncos can get into the heads of opposing DC's.
                      Utah Bronco Freak

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by samparnell View Post

                        Do you want the Broncos' Offense to be run heavy (more than 55% run), or balanced (45%-55% run)?

                        Do you want Denver's rushing attack to be angle blocked, zone stepped or a mixture? This will dictate the type of O-Linemen and RBs acquired.

                        Do you want the Offense to use a fair number of two-back formations, or be predominantly Single Back?

                        If not two-back, do you favor using two TEs often?

                        How important do you think it is to have good blocking WRs available on game day for certain personnel packages?

                        Since you want more of a rushing offense, do you favor the use of a series based run scheme (i.e., run to set up other runs)?

                        Apologies work has been insane for me and frankly a response like the one I expect of myself and one which the questions you asked requires more than the amount of time I had available to me.


                        1. Close the the 55% number although I do not think over 55% is needed or should be planned for. If I recall we are about 45% last year so I'd invert our run and pass numbers. That said it is not just how many runs we go for it is also how successful they are and sticking with the run when it is working. There were several games last year ('20) where Drew was not making particularly great decisions with the football BUT our rushing attack was working very well. Despite being in a close or somewhat close game we seemingly all but abandoned the run game.

                        2. I think that the plan should be for some sort of a mix if/when it makes sense. That said we may land on one vs the other. Now I do agree that RBs tend to fit more one style vs another. IMO - I think that many of these younger lineman are no longer restricted the way in which the "older" lineman used to be in terms of scheme. What I mean by this is that not long ago you needed more nimble, which translated to lighter/smaller, OL in order to run more movement in your run schemes. I do not believe that those same restrictions or limitations hold true with a large percentage of these younger lineman entering into the league. We are seeing faster twitch and better movement from these much larger young men than ever before.

                        3. The only thing I liked when I saw Shurmur's offense near the beginning of the season last year was that he had added two back sets into the mix. I saw that as a bit of a Zig when others are Zagging. The alternative to adding that sort of wrinkle into the offense is to have an aggressive lead blocker or even a hammer running the ball like D.Henry of the Titans. So much of the league is trying to move to speed that the opposing team's defense are running with smaller guys in order to match the speed of play. To counter that you can mix your offense up by forcing power and size and mix in speed. All of that being said though I do like the idea of single back more than two back sets.

                        4. I much prefer the two TE sets (yes I know I only included 3 TE's and we'd want/need 4). In that case for now I'd likely include Troy as the TE4 or look to the draft.

                        5. In terms of good/great blocking WRs....very important. Having guys like that who are willing and able allows again for greater flexibility in the play calls. IMO - it also allows for greater play versatility. On one play that WR can fake the block engagement and then break out and on another they can engage in the block and hold it. Same look but different results.


                        Last but not least the short answer is for our team, given our current QB, and what I have seen of thus far we need to use the run to setup the pass as well as use the run to setup other runs. I would at this stage argue that this is where Shurmur has been the weakest. There does not seem to be any strategic game planning to speak of. You often hear of "that guy schemes people open"....sure but doing that is simply having his teams strengths and strategically matching them up against what they believe is the opponents weakness. Where the true strategic minds go is to the second layer. For example when teams run this way and succeed team X always counters with A - B and C. Therefore once that counter look is presented run play Z from the same look to get a huge gain or TD. So yes I want to see both runs to setup other runs and runs to setup passes.
                        Last edited by Rich_C; 03-17-2021, 07:52 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post

                          which is good for him. he may be able to work him self in the first round with a good year.
                          It appears you're correct. The last I saw he was declaring. That makes me sad. Delaying his draft entry and allowing an extra year of development will most certainly have him move from the 2nd round to being a likely 1st round selection if he play well and/or plays better.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X