Guess the Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess the Player

I was looking over the current roster and looked up a pre-draft assessment of one of our players. In part, the analysis said:
    • Outstanding personal and football character
    • Very smart, mature and highly respected
    Who do you think it is?

Originally posted by BiscuitBronco View Post
    I was looking over the current roster and looked up a pre-draft assessment of one of our players. In part, the analysis said:
    • Outstanding personal and football character
    • Very smart, mature and highly respected
    Who do you think it is?
    Justin Simmons

Comment

Drew Lock...

Comment

No, not the player I was thinking. The comments surprised me, so maybe it will surprise you. Here's another clue.. He was taken in the first round, although his summary rating was 6.2 "Good back up, who could become a starter"

Comment

Dangit, no. Gordon couldn't have had a grade that low. It had to be Bolles, right?
          Last edited by Spice 1; 03-08-2021, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
            Dangit, no. Gordon couldn't have had a grade that low. It had to be Bolles, right?
            No not Bolles either, but that would have been my guess if I didnt know.

Comment

Originally posted by BiscuitBronco View Post

No not Bolles either, but that would have been my guess if I didnt know.
              Ohhhhhh. I think I know who it is now.

Comment

Juwaan James?
                sigpic

Credit Goes To JIM :salute!:

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie "$" Royal View Post
                  Juwaan James?
                  Stop the internet we have a winner..

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ja'wua...c-4a092b767472

This assessment doesn't quite gel with his reported behaviours, does it?

Comment

Maybe the worst scouting report for a Bronco was Vernon Davis' that said he was just a pass receiver and couldn't block. His career was just the opposite.

Comment

Let's set the record straight on James, shall we?

James spoke publicly for the first time with Nicki Jhabvala of the Athletic, clearing, as it were, the air.

"I tore some ligaments in my knee the first game of the season," James said. "Was working back to get it healed, came back for that Colts game and ended up reinjuring it. I re-tore all the scar tissue that was healing and then ended up tearing part of my meniscus. They said it wouldn't be that serious but when I was out there, even at practice, trying to come back, my knee was buckling on me. It was just weak because the ligaments weren't strong."

Again, that injury was originally sustained Week 1 vs. Oakland. James returned for action in Week 8 at Indianapolis and only played about 20 snaps before reaggravating the knee.

Fast forward to Week 14 and the Broncos are preparing for Houston. James was working to get himself ready for the Texans, where he played essentially the entire first half.

"So then I practiced, I think it was for two weeks to try to get back and get ready for the Houston game," James said. "The plan going into it was to play for the half, and I ended up playing the half, but all through especially the second quarter, my knee was just giving out on me. So after talking to the coaches and trainers and stuff like that, and the second opinion with the doctor, and he was like, 'Hey, man. We don't feel you'll need surgery. But the doctor said before if you put a brace on it, you should be all right. But you went out in the Colts game and re-tore some stuff'. So, he said, 'Your ligaments need time to heal'. So I'm just really trying to get this healed so I don't have to worry about it in the offseason and next year, so next season I can be fully healthy and put this behind me."
                      https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/...ed-to-his-knee

Furthermore, 2020 comes along and the players were given the option to opt-out of the season for concerns with COVID-19. James had a newborn to take care of and he obviously wanted to take the extra precautions to be safe... so he used his freedom as an NFL player to opt-out. Sure, other players might have had babies and other family members to take care of-- and they took the risk. That's their decision. This was James' decision. He even said in a statement that he had "worked all offseason & invested in (his) body to bounce back & have a great year on the field..." and that "these first two years weren't what (he) expected them to be when arriving (in Denver)... but (he is) invested in this city and (his) team."

Bryce Callahan was literally treated as a meme when he was injured in 2019. Then he came back and balled out for us (before getting injured again, unfortunately). James has had a horrible run of luck since he signed here and then chose to prioritize himself and his family in 2020, which he was well within his rights to do so. Just like with this fanbase's hatred for Melvin Gordon, it is not James' fault that he was offered such a large contract. It's just how the free agent market works in the NFL and guess what, Elway took that gamble.

Like anyone else, I think RT is undoubtedly a question mark for our team and I think anyone would be skeptical of the future prospects of a player who only took 63 snaps for us in 2019 and then missed the entire season after. If James comes back for us this year and plays well, great. If James comes back and disappoints, or misses more games, or doesn't play at all-- then, it gets easier in 2022 to move on from him and put this tumultuous chapter behind everyone. Until then, I don't see why we are using a scouting report that reflected positively on his character to bash him now?

If someone can link me to reports or allegations of him being a bad person or bad teammate, then let me know. Risner obviously mentioned something about James needing to win back people's trust, but I think that can apply to anyone who's been out of the competitive game for awhile and is trying to re-assimilate. In that same presser, Risner said that the team will welcome him back "with open arms". I feel like Fangio's comments towards James in 2019 was a bit harsh and skewed the truth, and I'm as ardent of a Fangio supporter as they come.

Comment

Do you have anything more recent from or about James?

Those comments of explanation are from Dec 2019.

How about his health and readiness to go this season? Did he spend his year off training to come back in the best shape of his life and ready to live up to his contract or did he gain 50lbs and his only sprints have been to grab a snack during a commercial break.

Any reports? Any video? Anything to think this guy has any intention of being the Broncos RT this season. Other then the assumption he is penciled in as starter because the Broncos don’t have any options.

That is what I want to see. Some indication he is ready to compete today.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                          Do you have anything more recent from or about James?

Those comments of explanation are from Dec 2019.

How about his health and readiness to go this season? Did he spend his year off training to come back in the best shape of his life and ready to live up to his contract or did he gain 50lbs and his only sprints have been to grab a snack during a commercial break.

Any reports? Any video? Anything to think this guy has any intention of being the Broncos RT this season. Other then the assumption he is penciled in as starter because the Broncos don’t have any options.

That is what I want to see. Some indication he is ready to compete today.
                          This was his statement from 2020. He was among the players practicing away from the facility with Lock over the offseason in Denver.

Nothing more past that.

Comment

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
                            Let's set the record straight on James, shall we?

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/...ed-to-his-knee

Furthermore, 2020 comes along and the players were given the option to opt-out of the season for concerns with COVID-19. James had a newborn to take care of and he obviously wanted to take the extra precautions to be safe... so he used his freedom as an NFL player to opt-out. Sure, other players might have had babies and other family members to take care of-- and they took the risk. That's their decision. This was James' decision. He even said in a statement that he had "worked all offseason & invested in (his) body to bounce back & have a great year on the field..." and that "these first two years weren't what (he) expected them to be when arriving (in Denver)... but (he is) invested in this city and (his) team."

Bryce Callahan was literally treated as a meme when he was injured in 2019. Then he came back and balled out for us (before getting injured again, unfortunately). James has had a horrible run of luck since he signed here and then chose to prioritize himself and his family in 2020, which he was well within his rights to do so. Just like with this fanbase's hatred for Melvin Gordon, it is not James' fault that he was offered such a large contract. It's just how the free agent market works in the NFL and guess what, Elway took that gamble.

Like anyone else, I think RT is undoubtedly a question mark for our team and I think anyone would be skeptical of the future prospects of a player who only took 63 snaps for us in 2019 and then missed the entire season after. If James comes back for us this year and plays well, great. If James comes back and disappoints, or misses more games, or doesn't play at all-- then, it gets easier in 2022 to move on from him and put this tumultuous chapter behind everyone. Until then, I don't see why we are using a scouting report that reflected positively on his character to bash him now?

If someone can link me to reports or allegations of him being a bad person or bad teammate, then let me know. Risner obviously mentioned something about James needing to win back people's trust, but I think that can apply to anyone who's been out of the competitive game for awhile and is trying to re-assimilate. In that same presser, Risner said that the team will welcome him back "with open arms". I feel like Fangio's comments towards James in 2019 was a bit harsh and skewed the truth, and I'm as ardent of a Fangio supporter as they come.
                            A lot of the negative comments stem from the comments that the Adam Gase coaching staff allegedly said about him when they were reportedly trying to trade him. Allegedly they called him lazy and said that he didn’t really care about football. Kuper was on that coaching staff then before he came back to Denver when we acquired James. I think if Kuper was apart of or believed those comments, then James wouldn’t have been signed.

Then he gets injured in week 1 and there’s some confusion on how serious his injury was or at least how it was portrayed to the media by Fangio. Fans tend to want players that play through injuries for some reason and since it was implied that it was an injury he could play through well you see how well it has gone over. Then the COVID opt out and people start taking those comments from a Gase led coaching staff as fact despite the numerous amount of times he’s done this. James is a great player when healthy and yes he is injury prone but that’s the risk you take with any talented olinemen hits FA. They’re either injury prone or on the decline or they haven’t played well. Good/great olinemen that are young and durable just don’t hit the open market.

Comment

Whatever the narrative or explanations of the “why” James missed games, you have to admit it is odd for not one but two coaching staffs to question his “heart” to be on the field. An almost unheard of criticism in the NFL. And having teammates stating he will need to prove himself to his teammates is not a great look either.

Simply show up in shape and ready to show everyone why you deserve the RT job and contract. Earn the respect, dominate the position and all is forgiven. It’s a fickle business.

Comment

Working...
                              X