Come May 1st...Who Are The Broncos??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Come May 1st...Who Are The Broncos??

I often comment on the importance of defining your identity. If you don't know who/what you want to be, how do you go about getting there??

I've been disappointed with the team since the great SB victory. Not all the time, but definitely from a perspective of growth and yes, success. Some wise maneuvers, some hope, but a lot of let down. In truth, I thought '21 was going to be a better year, with Lock progressing, and some good signings last offseason. Injuries and covid played a serious role, but one can not use those things as our only excuses. Folks have to be accountable, regardless of such factors. Every team faced the pandemic, and many teams had injuries thoughout the season.

My concern has been for some time that Elway needed some help on the management side. Plenty of us hoped for a new GM....in my case, just as it has evolved, with Paton bringing excellent personnel credentials, and Elway maintaining his presence, because after all, John Elway is legend here. So with that said, Paton has already made some noise in terms of his strategy, though it is very early. But I believe that he has some real say in what is going on, and that is a good sign. If he was the right choice, given his resume, and he has space to do his job, this will likely be a nice long term win for the organization.

My gut tells me that he has studied The Broncos with great depth and diligence, and has a roster road map that is well defined. One that he, and Elway, believe will take The Broncos to the role of contenders. Maybe not for a year or two, but not too far out, given the quality of players already on board.

So here we are....Free Agency starting (officially) in just 9 days. And The Draft to end on May 1. And trade possibilities. So in less than 2 months time I expect us to know a load about the future of The Denver Broncos. Maybe not 100%, given The QB situation may still be a work in progress. Even at that, I expect our long term QB will either be on the roster this year...or else, next. No doubt, this is a 2 year window in that regard.

So we may be taking a bit of a break here, but don't go too far, because the excitement will begin very soon, and will continue til the draft, and even a little beyond.....I like to believe Undrafted talent is realistic part of the process, and there are gems pretty much each season.

So rest up folks. Get ready for a fun offseason ahead. And more important, watch as our identity becomes clearer as we move forward. I like to believe that in early May, I will know how to describe this team. And yeah, I'd like to see some of the ole Orange Crush style from our defensive side....ball hawks and in your face warriors, looking to cause chaos and excelling in turnovers. On O, for starters I just want to see evidence of a team that will score more points.

Still my favorite team in the nfl and still the team i will be rooting for
    sigpic
    oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Hopefully they are a team taking solid steps forward to being much better as the season gets closer. Will we see signs of quality improvement? Nobody knows.

We'll all have to wait and see....together.
      Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

A team full of hope and promise. We will have more talent added to the team and by then will have a good idea what the vison of Paton is.
        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

The future Super Bowl LVI Champions!

Drew Lock MVP!
          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
          You Mad Bro?
          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Any folks have definitions of identity you'd like to see The Broncos be known for? Both O and D, or even combined? Sort of our calling card(s)....and not the type that folks want to go up against!

As mentioned above, I would love to see a D known for it's in your face style, one that is constantly forcing the issue as opposed to reacting to it. On O, I do like balance, but I want some creative elements that involve multiple players, and therefore keep Ds off guard. Still prefer balanced attack, and yes, I do like long ball occasionally!
            Last edited by CanDB; 03-12-2021, 08:49 AM.

Comment

I honestly don't think we will know the true vision of Paton's until 2022, since a lot of our high-priced vets are FAs then-- and we will need to start extending our young talent. Roster flexibility will be at an all-time high with guys like Von, KJax, Gordon, Lindsay, Callahan, Johnson, and even James potentially being moved on from then.

I digress... come May 1st, I realistically think that this team will be much, much better defensively (on paper, of course). I think this offseason is an urgent, prime opportunity to further shape this defense into Fangio's vision-- especially since he is on the proverbial hot seat after two seasons. I could see FA signings or draft selections at every level of the defense-- CB, LB, DL, EDGE, and S in that order of importance. Barring a huge move at QB, I think the offense will remain largely unchanged-- which isn't a bad thing if everyone continues to develop and get healthy.

Between the start of FA and the end of the draft, it tends to get dicey on social media and forums alike-- but at the end of the day, I support the Broncos through and through... In Paton I Trust . This feels like the calm before the storm, so buckle up for a wild ride these next two months.
              2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
              Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

Comment

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
                I honestly don't think we will know the true vision of Paton's until 2022, since a lot of our high-priced vets are FAs then-- and we will need to start extending our young talent. Roster flexibility will be at an all-time high with guys like Von, KJax, Gordon, Lindsay, Callahan, Johnson, and even James potentially being moved on from then.

I digress... come May 1st, I realistically think that this team will be much, much better defensively (on paper, of course). I think this offseason is an urgent, prime opportunity to further shape this defense into Fangio's vision-- especially since he is on the proverbial hot seat after two seasons. I could see FA signings or draft selections at every level of the defense-- CB, LB, DL, EDGE, and S in that order of importance. Barring a huge move at QB, I think the offense will remain largely unchanged-- which isn't a bad thing if everyone continues to develop and get healthy.

Between the start of FA and the end of the draft, it tends to get dicey on social media and forums alike-- but at the end of the day, I support the Broncos through and through... In Paton I Trust . This feels like the calm before the storm, so buckle up for a wild ride these next two months.
                Good stuff! I can be a broken record, but beyond QB considerations, it's almost all D to me this offseason. We've touched on it in other threads, but I can see on Oliner and maybe a mid round back, but overall this is D Time!!! So maybe not as much about identity, rather an infusion of new and maybe a little old blood, to get things revved up again. I've seen a CB and Safety in our first 2 selections, in some mock drafts, and that would be exciting! I would love Parsons at 9, but not a big deal.

So a wait and see on O (unless we land a big fish at QB) and a load of love to D....making us a top 10, maybe top 5 group by year end.

Comment

I meant to add.....each year we come together, assess the team - strengths/weaknesses, and formulate our strategies....partly influenced by what experts are talking about, rumours, etc.

I find that some folks are quick to gauge the landscape, and hardly differ on their vision, from early postseason to the end of the draft. It's a lot to do with research, analytical wherewithal, filtering of new information, and understanding of the game and the team.

BUT...I almost always see a trend, that few of us will come close to predicting the players/positions The Broncos chose in The Draft, and in FA. Definitely not in the order they are taken. And yet, we seem to be onto something til the point of selection.

Which goes to show that the brass has a different vision, and different strategies...more often than one would think. Occasionally we align pretty closely, but this game is very complex, and how you build a team within the confines of a cap situation, year after year, is not for the week of heart. And how you get to the end of the journey - a SB Championship, may take many turns, and even some significant route changes. The trick is to keep that Championship vision in your horizon, and keep at it, learn from it, and then go get it!!

Comment

I actually see some team identity light at the end of the tunnel, but for one thing.....QB, but I digress.

Clearly D is being addressed and with some gusto! Based on what we know today, we start the season with core players Chubb, Miller, Harris and Simmons, which is reassuring given what we was being discussed since last season. It appears that no deal will be made that will alter them all from being here.

And with Fuller - an All Pro and super reliable player, along with Darby - a guy with juice and skill, we can safely say that The D is looking pretty darn good already, and we haven't completed FA or The Draft. If I was to describe this group based on what we know now, it is at minimum "competitive", and with some potential additions, I might go further with the D accolades. I still say go hard in The Draft....a starter, maybe two, and much needed depth. For me, another Dback (or two), an ILB, Edge, and Interior lineman.

As for O, our identity could be loosely described at this point, but it still needs QB definition. The odds of another QB coming prior to the draft are extremely low now. The odds of a drafted QB are much higher than before. The question for me, if I was a betting man, do they draft in round one or not? That's where this resides for me.

So, if I am correct about QB, we are starting this season with a young leader...likely Lock. We have the nucleus of the same O overall, other than we've lost Lindsay, a heart and soul guy, but we will have Sutton back, which is encouraging. So the identity I see, today, is potentially a balanced approach, with some ability to stretch the field.

No doubt for many of us that RB and Oline will be addressed in The Draft. Neither position needs to be filled in round one, or even two. Backs can be found! The question for me is whether we go Oline earlier than anticipated. This may come back to the QB draft question....round one or later? Because if we hold off a round or more at QB, we may see a BPA Oliner fall into our laps at 9. Same goes for almost any position. That's the beauty of high draft picks!

I can also see us trading back, and hopefully securing an additional quality player that can help us on either side of the ball.

~~~~

So no, not quite there yet....but some excellent moves in the right direction. I think it still comes down to that lingering QB situation and whether or not we draft one, and whether or not it's an early selection. Lets not forget that if we covet one of the QBs and decide to move up, that will diminish our selection capabilities potentially on both sides of the ball.
                    Last edited by CanDB; 03-21-2021, 08:25 AM.

Comment

I feel good about the team right now but rightfully so for a team who has missed the playoffs 5 years there are still some questions.

We need to add a Safety still on defense. We also need a better ILB imo. There is a chance Strnad can fill a need. Problem with having one LB good vs run and one LB good vs pass is it gives good offenses a cue at what to audible. It would be better if we had one good ILB.

There are a few injury concerns on the defense in general besides Strnad. Outside of CB every other position on the defense will have significant drop off if there is an injury. I think the DL may be in best shape beside CB in terms of depth. We really need our 2 OLB to play most of the games in 2021...we are due.

Besides not really showing they have done it in the past the offense is imo setup to perform well in 2021. OL may be the best it has been going into a season in decades. I get the PM years had upside but I think that had as much to do with PM as it did with the OL. WR depth is probably the best on the team. TE depth seems to be coming around. We probably need to add another RB.

Not going to discuss QB here....there are probably more posts about the QB than all the other posts combined right now. With the feelings on the QB talking about it here will just turn this thread into another QB thread imo
                      Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

The obvious answer is the QB issue. How the Broncos choose to handle Lock or another starter will define the team and season.

Will the trade or draft another QB? Or show some confidence in a developing Lock?

Until the FO and coaches reveal how they are solving this riddle it is tough if not impossible to speculate. Just too many variables.

Apologies, I saw the post about leaving QB out of this discussion after I posted.

Overall the roster needs upgrading. As was stated, depth is an issue at several positions.

I would like to see some immediate upgrades at ILB, RB and S. Broncos need a dynamic ILB that can cover. Either Parsons or Cox would bring a smile to my face from this draft . Adding a RB to push Gordon ( if not replace him as RB1) would be ideal.

They also need some quality depth at OT. To prepare for James and a swing OT to replace Wilkerson.

Still a lot of moving pieces to be filled before we will know “who” this team is.
                        Last edited by FR Tim; 03-21-2021, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                          I feel good about the team right now but rightfully so for a team who has missed the playoffs 5 years there are still some questions.

We need to add a Safety still on defense. We also need a better ILB imo. There is a chance Strnad can fill a need. Problem with having one LB good vs run and one LB good vs pass is it gives good offenses a cue at what to audible. It would be better if we had one good ILB.

There are a few injury concerns on the defense in general besides Strnad. Outside of CB every other position on the defense will have significant drop off if there is an injury. I think the DL may be in best shape beside CB in terms of depth. We really need our 2 OLB to play most of the games in 2021...we are due.

Besides not really showing they have done it in the past the offense is imo setup to perform well in 2021. OL may be the best it has been going into a season in decades. I get the PM years had upside but I think that had as much to do with PM as it did with the OL. WR depth is probably the best on the team. TE depth seems to be coming around. We probably need to add another RB.

Not going to discuss QB here....there are probably more posts about the QB than all the other posts combined right now. With the feelings on the QB talking about it here will just turn this thread into another QB thread imo
                          Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                          The obvious answer is the QB issue. How the Broncos choose to handle Lock or another starter will define the team and season.

Will the trade or draft another QB? Or show some confidence in a developing Lock?

Until the FO and coaches reveal how they are solving this riddle it is tough if not impossible to speculate. Just too many variables.
                          Interesting back to back comments. Both relevant.

I do agree that QB posts are everywhere, and at times, are overly repetitive (what else is new on a MB?). It happens, and usually because it is a very hot topic. BUT, like the other quoted post relates, this is sort of the elephant in the room, no matter how we try to walk around it. It impacts FA, The Draft and so forth. And the fact we were looking at Stafford (per reports), makes me believe that this is far from settled. And that's why I agree with the view that until we see The Draft unfold, and all other options disappear, we don't know what other QB deviations are coming, and who will start, and who looks like the long term leader.

The example of trading up for a QB is one of the most compelling and concerning simultaneously. Say we move up more than a spot or two.....it will cost us big in draft capital. Think of the talented non QBs we will miss out on. Conversely, and this is why I was hoping for a Watson, and before FA lost loads of value. Settle the leadership position and then fill gaps accordingly. Whereas we seem to be back to, fill gaps/upgrade, but unfortunately keep on looking for a QB.
                          Last edited by CanDB; 03-21-2021, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Great thread! I am at the point where the personnel turnover rate is to often. I personally just want to see these guys begin off season without feeling like job is jeopardy. When people work together it creates a cohesiveness that we really need. Guys need to be on same page.

Comment

Boy are we lucky! We are only a couple of weeks from knowing our team identity.....according to the thread starter.

Comment

Working...
                              X