The Downside Of QB Neglect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Downside Of QB Neglect

So we all know that The Broncos have not been in the playoffs since we won The SB, as part of the 2015 season. Long time no see!

Since 2015 we have primarily gone with the following: Siemien, Lynch, Osweiler, Keenum, Flacco, Lock and Driskel. Not the "who's who" of NFL QBing.

Now we approach another season, almost assuredly with Lock as our starter. Might even go early with a QB selection. Maybe not. No trades for QBs, other than potentially moving up or back in the draft.

Lock was promising as a rookie. But in his 2nd year, playing 13 games, his Rate fell to 75.4, which included a 57.3% completion rate, and a misbalanced 16 TDs along with 15 interceptions. I know, second year setbacks happen. And yes, injuries to start the year, including Sutton, our #1 WR. But this does not justify stats of that nature. He may have caused some of the damage in his approach to the starting job. He seemed a bit distracted from my perspective.

Regardless, he will be back and it is almost a given he will start. Whether The Broncos select an apparent "ringer" with their #1 pick this year, or even wait til a later round is unknown. What we do know is that even a 1st round QB may never become a starter.

So in my opinion The Broncos must be very tuned in to the possibilities at QB. Of course they must be! I have no doubt about it. But Lock's backward step in his second season is concerning. 15 pics and just 16 TDs is a bad recipe. Whether we may not select a "pre pro" quality QB in the draft, if we are even looking, or that we may end up with a high draft pick QB selection.....THIS MUST BE RESOLVED SOON!! If we keep adding names to the lengthening list of unsuccessful QBs, we will slip deeper into the non playoff zone.

So in spite of my whining about spending too much on a QB in this draft, I am now wondering if I am hanging on to a potential bad outcome. No QB in sight, if Lock does not perform. After all, he slid from his rookie year, and even with Sutton back, we do not know how the O group will step forward.

So per the title, the downside of this QB carousel of "not good enoughs" can be frightening. Each year we waste in finding one is another year we lose out on improving the overall team, at various positions. And failure to find our franchise QB this year means we delay the path back to success....with no guarantees unless we have the coin and the guts to make a serious deal/draft choice next year.

So maybe I am saying, at about 5 pm CT today, that perhaps we should draft a 1st rounder after all. This might be my first take of this nature. I of the trade for Watson camp. I of the Lock is our guy camp, given his rookie season. The only thing holding me back a little is the fact that management typically gives high draft picks more leash, so Lock might do well and still lose the job. But hey, he could be used as trade bait, so not the worst case scenario.

Lets be honest, without a quality QB, this train is not on the right track. Ds are wonderful, but even the good ones get exhausted and a bit disenchanted if constantly expected to make things happen, and constantly on the field.

Still scratching my head for the thread concept....and I like me some Parsons, Sewell or Slater. Surtain would be almost a sure thing as well.

And if we go QB, I am really liking the idea of Jones.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
      So we all know that The Broncos have not been in the playoffs since we won The SB, as part of the 2015 season. Long time no see!

Since 2015 we have primarily gone with the following: Siemien, Lynch, Osweiler, Keenum, Flacco, Lock and Driskel. Not the "who's who" of NFL QBing.

Now we approach another season, almost assuredly with Lock as our starter. Might even go early with a QB selection. Maybe not. No trades for QBs, other than potentially moving up or back in the draft.

Lock was promising as a rookie. But in his 2nd year, playing 13 games, his Rate fell to 75.4, which included a 57.3% completion rate, and a misbalanced 16 TDs along with 15 interceptions. I know, second year setbacks happen. And yes, injuries to start the year, including Sutton, our #1 WR. But this does not justify stats of that nature. He may have caused some of the damage in his approach to the starting job. He seemed a bit distracted from my perspective.

Regardless, he will be back and it is almost a given he will start. Whether The Broncos select an apparent "ringer" with their #1 pick this year, or even wait til a later round is unknown. What we do know is that even a 1st round QB may never become a starter.

So in my opinion The Broncos must be very tuned in to the possibilities at QB. Of course they must be! I have no doubt about it. But Lock's backward step in his second season is concerning. 15 pics and just 16 TDs is a bad recipe. Whether we may not select a "pre pro" quality QB in the draft, if we are even looking, or that we may end up with a high draft pick QB selection.....THIS MUST BE RESOLVED SOON!! If we keep adding names to the lengthening list of unsuccessful QBs, we will slip deeper into the non playoff zone.

So in spite of my whining about spending too much on a QB in this draft, I am now wondering if I am hanging on to a potential bad outcome. No QB in sight, if Lock does not perform. After all, he slid from his rookie year, and even with Sutton back, we do not know how the O group will step forward.

So per the title, the downside of this QB carousel of "not good enoughs" can be frightening. Each year we waste in finding one is another year we lose out on improving the overall team, at various positions. And failure to find our franchise QB this year means we delay the path back to success....with no guarantees unless we have the coin and the guts to make a serious deal/draft choice next year.

So maybe I am saying, at about 5 pm CT today, that perhaps we should draft a 1st rounder after all. This might be my first take of this nature. I of the trade for Watson camp. I of the Lock is our guy camp, given his rookie season. The only thing holding me back a little is the fact that management typically gives high draft picks more leash, so Lock might do well and still lose the job. But hey, he could be used as trade bait, so not the worst case scenario.

Lets be honest, without a quality QB, this train is not on the right track. Ds are wonderful, but even the good ones get exhausted and a bit disenchanted if constantly expected to make things happen, and constantly on the field.

Are you dipping in the sauce ? Rest easy friend, read this, we'll be ok

5 bold predictions for Denver Broncos in 2021 (msn.com)

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter01 View Post

Are you dipping in the sauce ? Rest easy friend, read this, we'll be ok

5 bold predictions for Denver Broncos in 2021 (msn.com)
        I like it.....then again, "bold predictions" do not give me quite as much comfort.

Comment

PS
          I really don't think Payton Manning would give his time, as he has this off season with Drew, for a ........... "looser". We'll be ok. In Drew we Trust.

Comment

Broncos are in no rush. KC isnt going any where for another 5 years but I am confident by 2025 this team will have figured the QB position out to contend

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post

I like it.....then again, "bold predictions" do not give me quite as much comfort.
              Most people know "predictions" are incorrect to some degree and based on "opinions".

As far as sports predictions, don't put too much faith or hope in them. Why set yourself up for disappointment?

If a positive prediction turns out to be true, great! When a positive prediction turns out to be false and incorrect, your unhappiness is your fault for believing it.
              Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
                Broncos are in no rush. KC isnt going any where for another 5 years but I am confident by 2025 this team will have figured the QB position out to contend
                Not sure I like this approach. Any thoughts on getting there in a couple of years less?

Comment

What about the downside of forcing a pick for QB. Paxton Lynch comes to mind. Yes you need a good QB but there are not a lot of great ones available.

Comment

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
                    Wow! Another crystal ball prediction / opinion.See post #7.
                    Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

I don't know if it was QB neglect or QB hubris.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                        I don't know if it was QB neglect or QB hubris.
                        Layman's term for "hubris"..... excessive pride or self-confidence.

I believe it's somewhere between QB neglect or QB hubris.....maybe.
                        Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Originally posted by Bad_Bubba View Post
                          What about the downside of forcing a pick for QB. Paxton Lynch comes to mind. Yes you need a good QB but there are not a lot of great ones available.
                          Oh for sure! There are multiple downsides to neglecting the QB position. I guess I have talked so much about them that I think it's 101 stuff now. But heck yeah, when you need a QB and you keep signing so so vets, or in this case, keep using valuable draft capital hoping you will find that QB gem, you better do your homework. I keep stating that every time you use a pretty high draft pick on a QB, you do realize that you miss out on a likely non QB starter. And the higher you select, the more likely you could be losing out on a long term star. Not so with QBs. A good chunk never become starters. So it's an exercise in solid preparation, development, and yes, hope!

And for me, each year you delay the QB solidification, you delay the team from being as good as it can be. Personally I see desperation rising by some GMs, and I see unnecessary steps to mitigate, because the elephant is still in the room.

Comment

We do not see what the people see Drew Lock do day in and day out. From what I have herd one of the reasons we did not get Stafford is because the Broncos would not let Lock go. It seems the people who see the most of Lock....the good and the bad...want him to stay.

The Broncos need better play from the QB no doubt. It is very arguable what was the worst thing about the 2020 Broncos....the injuries or the QB play. They were both pretty bad.

I do think there is a flip side....we will be facing a lot of players with ending contracts soon. If we give up a lot of picks for a QB and that QB does not work out...well we are probably on the fast track of being a bad team for a long time.
                            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                              We do not see what the people see Drew Lock do day in and day out. From what I have herd one of the reasons we did not get Stafford is because the Broncos would not let Lock go. It seems the people who see the most of Lock....the good and the bad...want him to stay.

The Broncos need better play from the QB no doubt. It is very arguable what was the worst thing about the 2020 Broncos....the injuries or the QB play. They were both pretty bad.

I do think there is a flip side....we will be facing a lot of players with ending contracts soon. If we give up a lot of picks for a QB and that QB does not work out...well we are probably on the fast track of being a bad team for a long time.
                              I hate to say it, but your last comment is realistic. I know that the home fans (here on this site) will often come out each spring feeling all Orange Coloured Glasses, and citing all the positive possibilities. Not everyone of us, but many. And often we see our team is unfairly ranked by some experts. BUT, as much as there looks to be a real positive side, if Lock does not turn it around, and some players fall to injury, or whatever, there is no guarantee that the positive hopes will be fulfilled. Going into last season I expected a much better outcome. I thought Lock would continue to prove his worth, and that additions such as Casey, Bouye and Gordon would give is more lift. And as much as those early injuries were painful, it does not mean that it can't happen again, or that some potential key players do not live up to expectations.

And so, if Lock does not prove to be the guy, and we get back into "QB search" mode, we could very well be a non playoff team for several years, or more.

So yes, there's a lot riding on some key factors.

Comment

Working...
                              X