No announcement yet.

The Downside Of QB Neglect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of folks will argue that not every winner was a really good QB. That a team can become SB Champs without a star QB. That some great QBs were never SB winners.

They will be true statements if we just look at the surface of the discussion. But unfortunately for some star field leaders, not having won a SB sometimes overshadows a great career. Dan Marino was an incredible passer! I was a huge fan!! Back then, especially after losing a SB early in his career, most of us thought for sure he'd win one, maybe more. Never happened. Still, a great QB!!

But when you analyze the SB champs and compare the types of QBs who won, I do not believe you can formulate that you do not need a really good QB to win unless you know everything else about the team that won, how they went about their business, and even the details of their player acquisitions in the previous few seasons...via the draft, trade or free agency.

I believe you can win without a top tier QB. maybe even a tier 3 level, pending how you define each tier. But there's so much more.

So aligning this intro with the topic I have offered in this thread (Downside of QB Neglect), I believe strongly that in order to appreciate you can win without a stud leader, you must also appreciate that teams were built to win, and did not likely suffer from too much neglect at QB, rather they planned effectively and efficiently with what they had. And thus. when I say neglect, I refer to year after year drafting that not only fails to secure the starter, but wastes opportunities to draft good non QBs. Over time, if a team keeps wasting good draft picks (think Cleveland for many years), they will lose ground in search of a QB. That also extends to unimpressive acquisitions of QBs thru trades and free agency. Whether it's saving a buck, or hoping that a journeyman QB with some upside can fly in and lift the team to higher levels, is just that....hoping. In some cases, dreaming, given the track record.

So my initial approach to this thread was not merely a slap in the face of Broncos' GMs over the last couple of decades (excluding Manning's signing), but a general philosophy towards team building. Its core intent is that you must not only find a good QB who you can build a team around, but you must make it a key mission. because if you keep blundering, it sets the team back for multiple years. It prevents you from finding quality players throughout the lineup. And if not crafted to derive as much potential throughout the team as possible, it's a plan without an endgame.

So don't get me wrong. I do not expect to have a Mahomes running this team anytime soon. There are few Mahomes out there, in fact, only one as far as I can tell. But you don't need him to win. You do need to do what KC did, even if there was some unknowns at the time....make a plan and carry it through. Select a QB that you like, and that you can work with, even adapt to. And all the while, keep your eyes on the total team plan. Each position. So when drafts and free agency and trade opportunities present themselves, you look to better your team, thoughout. Conversely you try not to keep spending and spending, most importantly in drafts, on QBs that never make the grade. Each time you do, you bi pass a load of non QB talent, especially in rounds one and two.

Mission: evaluate, select/acquire, develop and support your long term QB. Do all you can to make that player successful, within reason and within reasonable time. Within the same overall mission: evaluate, select/acquire, develop and support for each position. In tandem, build a winning team,
    Last edited by CanDB; 04-19-2021, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post

His arm may have been strong, but this guy will tell you his was stronger...

(now back to young QBs you'd prefer to have as your leader)

But weaker vision regarding very close moving objects.
      Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

But weaker vision regarding very close moving objects.
        Could be why he would try to throw thru tiny windows....maybe they looked bigger to him???

Poor guy, here's an example of his seemingly bad eye sight...

Comment

Cutler - big time football school - no.
          Lynch - big time football school - heck no.
          Lance - not really a big school either.
          Fields yes, but he'll be playing for Shanahan.
          Jones yes, but I'd rather go get other needs. He reminds me of Joe Flacco.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post

Could be why he would try to throw thru tiny windows....maybe they looked bigger to him???

Poor guy, here's an example of his seemingly bad eye sight...

Not much arm strength on that pass. Hope the ref was wearing a cup.
            Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Originally posted by welderhead View Post
              Cutler - big time football school - no.
              Lynch - big time football school - heck no.
              Lance - not really a big school either.
              Fields yes, but he'll be playing for Shanahan.
              Jones yes, but I'd rather go get other needs. He reminds me of Joe Flacco.
              To be fair Lance may not have gone to a big FBS school, but ND State is an absolute football factory. They've won 8 of the last 9 FCS championships.

I don't see the Flacco comparisons for Jones, cause Flacco had a big arm, Jones doesn't. I think he's more like Chad Pennington. Pennington had a decent career, but hardly a great QB.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

Not much arm strength on that pass. Hope the ref was wearing a cup.
                Cutler was smart though. He says to himself, "This is my one shot to nail a ref. May never get this chance again. If I go left handed it looks more innocent. After all, one of them tried to knock my head off!"

Wait, Jay wasn't that smart!!

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

To be fair Lance may not have gone to a big FBS school, but ND State is an absolute football factory. They've won 8 of the last 9 FCS championships.

I don't see the Flacco comparisons for Jones, cause Flacco had a big arm, Jones doesn't. I think he's more like Chad Pennington. Pennington had a decent career, but hardly a great QB.
                  North Dakota State beats all the small schools with regularity, true. And their field isn't blue which is good.
                  I make the Jones/Flacco comparison based on the long throwing motion which just means more sacks in the NFL.

Comment

Working...
                  X