Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Details On Gold Deal (He done screwed up!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was just like the poker they show on espn. One guy holding nothing trying to bluff a guy with the right cards. One guy with a bad knee and bad advice and bad agents trying to bluff the whole league. No one jumped on this guy cause everyone knew he had been dealt a bad hand. He should have stayed with the team that would have taken care of him. Thanks for the link cause until now I thought the broncos low balled him. Im glad he and the postons are gone. It makes me sad cause this sounds like he is washed up cuz of the knee. I can see this a mile away he will never get the big bucks "bad karma"

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
      Did you not read the article I posted?
      profootballtalk.com is not a valid source IMO...I dont believe anything I read on that site...

Comment

maybe when the bucs want to restructure he'll come back to denver. w/ a different agent.
        sigpic
        go broncos
        share the sidewalk
        liberty > safety . . . ron paul '12!

Comment

Originally posted by CB-Champ24
          profootballtalk.com is not a valid source IMO...I dont believe anything I read on that site...
          OK, that's fair. You need to explain that though. Saying "No, he wouldn't"with no explaination is NOT good enough.

Can anyone else confirm this with another source?

Comment

with Denver he had more up front money then he does with TB who back loaded the contract to protect themsleves in case of injury which we all know he had the knee problem last year and I don't think he will play for the six or seven years the contract is supposed to be for...
            Ozzy

The "New Black Sabbath"

Comment

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...114755,00.html

Last week, Poston reportedly was seeking an $11 million signing bonus from Tampa Bay. That bonus was more than double what the Broncos originally offered Gold at the start of the free-agent signing period.

Comment

OK, that's fair. You need to explain that though. Saying "No, he wouldn't"with no explaination is NOT good enough.

Can anyone else confirm this with another source?
                I have a solultion for you, DK. Go through their archives and see how much of their Rumor Mill stuff has now come to pass.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumorarchive.htm

I'll help you out since I'm obviously working real hard today.
                Winter is Coming!

Comment

Rumors are more fun than facts

Comment

the current contract is 5 years 30 million...thats more than Denver was willing to pay him....the contract he has with Tampa now might be starting low but, as the years go by the money goes up in increments...

Comment

The way Gold's deal really shapes up is as a 1 year contract at 2 million. This way he gets a year to show he is elite and his knee is tip top. Next offseason, the Bucs would void his contract or renegotiate. They had to structure it the way they did to spread the signing bonus and have it be cap friendly for this season.

Gold could have taken money from the Broncos on a multi-year deal only for less then he is worth (assuming his knee is fixed), or he could take a one year deal with another team, the Bucs being the most attractive obviously, and test the market next season after proving his health and he'll probably have offers in his desired price range. Gold is confident he will be healthy and have a pro bowl year.

Gold and the Broncos actually had a one year deal agreed upon, but the Broncos were the ones to hedge on that deciding it was better to draft a LB for long term because they knew they would not pay Gold his money next season if he proved to be healthy.

Its a business, plain and simple. The Broncos didnt want to invest big money in another LB after paying Wilson, that was obvious. Gold wasn't going to settle for less then elite money regardless of an unfortunate injury or not.

However, Gold did not screw up, he made the smartest business decision that he could. He could sell himself for a bargain now, or play hard this year and get a rewarding contract next season. He was willing to do a one year deal with the Broncos, the Broncos were not willing to offer him that one year deal. The only way anyone screwed up is if DJ Williams is a bust, then the Broncos were the ones that fumbled. In Gold's case, if he can't prove himself, he can always sign a contract next season for the same amount he could have this year.

Comment

he could have gotten SIX Million UP front from the Broncos... he's not getting that now. IF he DOESN'T show that he is recovered from his knee... or has a bad season due to any other reason... who do you think lost money? The Bucs won't pay him 10 Million in signing bonus next year. They will either renegotiate or Gold will AGAIN test the FA market searching big money. SIX Million up front would have been the best financial gain for Gold. He trusted the Postons, and the Postons screwed him financially. It was an ego thing for him. HE wasn't going to turn down our offers, asking for a 15 million dollar signing bonus (when he was SURE he could get that in the open Market).. and then come back an sign with only a 6 million signing bonus. He chose to take LESS money because of ego.

Comment

Gold screwed himself simply because his knee will always be an issue. It will always be used to bargain against him. He should have gotten the most up front. Cant argue against DJ cause Gold was obviously more established and DJ has to establish himself

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                            he could have gotten SIX Million UP front from the Broncos... he's not getting that now. IF he DOESN'T show that he is recovered from his knee... or has a bad season due to any other reason... who do you think lost money? The Bucs won't pay him 10 Million in signing bonus next year. They will either renegotiate or Gold will AGAIN test the FA market searching big money. SIX Million up front would have been the best financial gain for Gold. He trusted the Postons, and the Postons screwed him financially. It was an ego thing for him. HE wasn't going to turn down our offers, asking for a 15 million dollar signing bonus (when he was SURE he could get that in the open Market).. and then come back an sign with only a 6 million signing bonus. He chose to take LESS money because of ego.
                            IF Ian Gold proves he is healthy and does make the Pro Bowl (like he thinks he will), then next season he will net a lot more then a 6 million signing bonus. He's risking it all to gamble on himself, I kind of like that. But like you said, there is certainly a risk.

Comment

could someone post a thread on who should start opposite Bailey
                              I dont think Walls gets it done. Just wanted to see what everybody else thinks. everytime i try to post it says i dont have permission

Comment

Re: More Details On Gold Deal (He done screwed up!!)

I didn't know this about the Gold deal. Check out the end

Detailed info on the Gold deal

Looks like Gold and friends shot themselves in the foot.
                                Golds an ass, thank god someone finally said that.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X