X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BroncoFanDK
    replied
    Originally posted by GMTD View Post

In principle, yes. But what if the franchise QB is approaching the end of their illustrious career and you need to look to the future when the franchise QB still wants to live in the present?

Would you slam Irsay for letting Peyton go and drafting Andrew Luck? Do you think Peyton should have been involved in that discussion?

I agree that as things have panned out, the GM probably should have offered Rodgers a way out before drafting Jordan Love. However, wasn't Rodgers drafted to eventually succeed Brett Favre, whilst Favre was still there?
    It is a Fantasy to think that Franchise QBs are involved with picking players as more than an outlier. Brady never was - he appeared to be involved with overall focus on team needs, but there is no doubt that ant player at any position has tunnel vision. You can have situations like when Elway gave back money to get N. Smith, and maybe Peyton was involved with the Colts where most of the draft capital was used on the offense. What won us the last SB was decidedly not to let Peyton decide how the offense and defense needed to be stocked and run, but that he got forced into a system that protected him and relied on a complete team.

There is a huge difference between the draft and FA, and very little evidence that a QB should be making decisions relating to the draft, but an elite player at any position is offcause involved in bringing in FAs as Champ was with Manning...Brady this year with Gronk and AB...

There is however a huge difference between that and what some QBs believe they should do.

Leave a comment:

• GMTD
    replied
    Originally posted by Gsam View Post

I have no problem with it. I was listening to some podcasts where they talk about how the winning franchises deal with franchise QBs. They make them a part of the draft discussions, FA discussions, etc.. and while they don't make the calls, they value the input they give and make them part of the conversation. That didn't happen in Houston and GB and look whats happening in both of those places....

Rodgers is right to call for the GM's head. Rodgers should get to give input on who lines up with him every week.
    In principle, yes. But what if the franchise QB is approaching the end of their illustrious career and you need to look to the future when the franchise QB still wants to live in the present?

Would you slam Irsay for letting Peyton go and drafting Andrew Luck? Do you think Peyton should have been involved in that discussion?

I agree that as things have panned out, the GM probably should have offered Rodgers a way out before drafting Jordan Love. However, wasn't Rodgers drafted to eventually succeed Brett Favre, whilst Favre was still there?

Leave a comment:

• Gsam
    replied
    Originally posted by broncolee View Post
    I’m less enthusiastic about this than before it came out that he’s trying to get the GM fired.

I don’t like what he’s doing and it probably means the GM is going to be fired, which means they aren’t going to trade him.
    I have no problem with it. I was listening to some podcasts where they talk about how the winning franchises deal with franchise QBs. They make them a part of the draft discussions, FA discussions, etc.. and while they don't make the calls, they value the input they give and make them part of the conversation. That didn't happen in Houston and GB and look whats happening in both of those places....

Rodgers is right to call for the GM's head. Rodgers should get to give input on who lines up with him every week.

Leave a comment:

• colowoz01
    replied
    It's the game show sweeping the nation, the question being asked the most by football fans. If he's not going back to Green Bay – and the future Hall of Fame quarterback continues to give off no signals that is happening anytime soon – then where will he land? Which teams make the most sense? Who could actually pull it off?

The Saga continues and my hope is calmer heads prevail and all this Hype does not influence what I think is a BAD Deal.

Leave a comment:

• jazzy22jeff
    replied
    Originally posted by Starbroncs View Post

A steal? Teddy is a backup qb.
    For only a 6th round pick.....yeah

Leave a comment:

• mozzerpete
    replied
    Originally posted by lvbronx View Post

As I understand it, Jeopardy would pay him $12-15 million a year and they film 5 shows in a day. Jeopardy is interested in Rodgers because it's a nerd show and they think Rodgers will bring in an additional demographic like Strahan has done. Jeopardy is a once in a life time opportunity for Rodgers and you could make a good case he should quit football and just go host a game show.

This isn't a typical situation. Like Elway had with baseball, Rodgers has real leverage with Jeopardy. And it isn't just for leverage, it's something he's wanted to do for a long time. He can walk away, work one day a week 40 weeks a year and make $15 million a year without getting hit.
    Does Aaron Rodgers really have a Jeopardy gig to fall back on?

I couldn't find anything definite which makes sense because
    I'm a casual Jeopardy viewer and Rodgers was meh as a host.
    His monotone voice and demeanor were almost lethargic.

I'd prefer Kenan Thompson as Jeopardy's host.

Leave a comment:

• InsaneBlaze23
    replied
    Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

But does Green Bay really want to play that game? Rodgers has options in retirement, Green Bay’s option is to go with Jordan Love if Rodgers retires. Love may or may not be ready, only the Packers really know that for sure, but if he was why wouldn’t they try to get some value (and itll be a lot of it) in return for Rodgers after June 1st of course?
    At some point Green Bay has to see what they have in Love. Regardless the time of Rodgers in Green Bay is on the ending side, even without this spat between them, Rodgers isn't a young QB with a long future ahead of him in the league. It's unknown if he wants to play as long as Brady or longer. So rather Love is the guy or not, which folks like Mel Kiper think has had the tools to be a good QB, I personally think regular season games need to be played to say Love will be any better than the other QBs GB has drafted during Rodgers career. Does Green Bay want to play that game? No, for as long as I've followed the team, they don't like dealing with drama too long. Which is why moving away from Brett happened, the team got tired of him retiring, then unretiring, so they said screw it, and traded him to the Jets. So with Rodgers it depends on what happens with him and closed door conversations with Mark Murphy. Murphy doesn't wanna trade Rodgers, and seems to be the middle man between him and Brian, in terms of who side he's on. Some reports are that Brian asked Aaron to restructure his contract, while Aaron wanted another extension.
    Brian asking Aaron to restructure and the Love pick the year before is why those 2 have a sour relationship. But Aaron has a solid relationship with Mark.
    Brian asked Rodgers to restructure bc the Packers were lacking money and couldn't bring back some players they wanted to retain, and couldn't make a FA play for players they rumored to have had interest in like Juju.

What I expect to happen is Mark will call both and schedule a meeting with hopes of patching things up. If that means Aaron gets an extension, that's what it'll mean. If it means Aaron sit outs and takes fines, that's what it'll mean. If it means Aaron retires, that's what it'll mean. The outcome isn't what outside fans of other teams think it. A lot of people opinion on the situation is bias. NFC North fans hope it ends with Rodgers retiring or getting traded so they have an easier chance at being first round exits. Fans of teams with bad QBs hope he gets traded because they want him on their team.

Its understandable, but look at what it was gonna reportedly cost to get Watson, look at what Lions got for Stafford, Eagles for Wentz. Even Jets got a decent haul for Darnold. So a QB Rodgers caliber regardless of his age would be very expensive. And winning a Super Bowl isn't automatic just bc a team gets Rodgers.

So I'll end this post by saying Rodgers can retire and work for jeopardy full time, which Shailene would likely prefer that option over being in Wisconsin. He can do that no problem.
    Packers can let him sit, let him retire, or ultimately decide to haul in a number of 3-4 1st round picks, see what is there in Love, build around him if he shows potential.

Leave a comment:

• dizzolve
    replied
    Aaron Rodgers confirms rift with Packers in off-camera discussion with Mike Tirico

Leave a comment:

• lvbronx
    replied
    Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

But does Green Bay really want to play that game? Rodgers has options in retirement, Green Bay’s option is to go with Jordan Love if Rodgers retires. Love may or may not be ready, only the Packers really know that for sure, but if he was why wouldn’t they try to get some value (and itll be a lot of it) in return for Rodgers after June 1st of course?
    As I understand it, Jeopardy would pay him $12-15 million a year and they film 5 shows in a day. Jeopardy is interested in Rodgers because it's a nerd show and they think Rodgers will bring in an additional demographic like Strahan has done. Jeopardy is a once in a life time opportunity for Rodgers and you could make a good case he should quit football and just go host a game show.

This isn't a typical situation. Like Elway had with baseball, Rodgers has real leverage with Jeopardy. And it isn't just for leverage, it's something he's wanted to do for a long time. He can walk away, work one day a week 40 weeks a year and make $15 million a year without getting hit.

Leave a comment:

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post

They didn't need to consult Rodgers on Love, just as they didn't need to consult Favre on Rodgers. Rodgers will be a Packer in 2021 or retire...

Leave a comment:

• InsaneBlaze23
    replied
    Originally posted by Oxygen Bandit View Post

Of course they say they won't trade him. They need him to play another year because they are in no position to start Jordan Love who they never even consulted Rodgers about and he is not good. The fact that Rodgers waited until the start of the draft to drop his bomb on GB shows he has no intention of returning. He could very well retire but both sides lose in that scenario. More logical that GB will trade him after June 2nd and not take the 30 mil cap hit and get some value from him. Seems clear to me that Rodgers is done with the Packers. Question now is how the Packers deal with it.
    They didn't need to consult Rodgers on Love, just as they didn't need to consult Favre on Rodgers. Rodgers will be a Packer in 2021 or retire...

Leave a comment:

• JvDub95
    replied
    What's happening to Rodgers is the same thing that happened to Montana, Favre, Manning/s, Bledsoe, Brady.....etc. Granted Brady stomped his feet and got his way and they discarded Jimmy. Regardless, Rodgers knows that this is his last year in GB and he's not going to let them just use him and flick him out when this season is over. He wanted an extension they said no and drafted a QB instead. So, here we are and in a short period of time we'll see him on another roster before the season starts....hopefully it's Denver

Leave a comment:

• JvDub95
    replied
    Originally posted by broncolee View Post
    Apparently all the Packers have to do is fire the GM and A-Aron will be happy.
    Which won't happen....

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied
    I’m less enthusiastic about this than before it came out that he’s trying to get the GM fired.

I don’t like what he’s doing and it probably means the GM is going to be fired, which means they aren’t going to trade him.

Leave a comment:

• BroncosFanInPA
    replied
    Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
    This is a funny story circulating especially after the draft.
    If this was to happen, then why would it not happen before the draft when there were assets to trade with, and what do people actually think that we would need to give up. Rodgers is a gem, but he also falles in the category of great high paid QBs that absorb so many financial and draft ressources that the team suffers. He has been one of the best for a long time, but unlike Elway, Kelly and others labelled loosers for not winning in the SB, he along with ex. Russell Wilson, Joe Flacco that were so great on cheap contracts, have not made it to the SB after getting paid.
    This does not seem realistic but it would be silly not to try to make it happen. Squeezing Peyton for million in 2015 seemed to work quite well.
    The reason it didn't go down before or during the draft I believe is the dead cap hit for Green Bay if they trade him...

Would be something like $37 million if traded now as opposed to around $15 million if after June 1st or something like that.

So I would look for it to still happen in about a month...stay tuned

Leave a comment:

Working...
X