No Round 1 QB... OMG....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Round 1 QB... OMG....

So... Some people seem to be freaking out we didn't pick Fields. I wasn't really expecting us to draft a QB this year, and there's a few reasons for that. Mind you this is just my opinion and pure speculation.

1. If you're a GM coming to a team with already established coaching staff who've already put in draft capital and time into a QB, wouldn't you rather let that play out for one more year? The current coaches aren't hires of George. Maybe he doesn't have a say in the coaching staff. Maybe he does, but wants to see what the coaching staff can do this year. Regardless of the current situation, I feel like if the current coaches don't produce this year, then its probably safe to assume they'll be gone at the end of the season. That said, do you really want to bring in a rookie QB, put your stamp on it, and let a coaching staff you're on the fence about coach up your envisioned prospect? I wouldn't, nor would I put my own job on the line for someone I didn't hire.

2. We know at least 2 top teir QBs who've already proven themselves are wanting to be traded. Yes, it's not guaranteed they will. Heck, one may never play another snap in the NFL, but given my first opinion above, I would rather make a run for a proven commodity this year, versus drafting a QB. If Watson does end up becoming available sometime before next season, wouldn't you rather have him instead of instead of risking it on a 1st round pick with a coaching staff you're unsure of? Additionally, Rogers may become available come June 2nd. Again, I'll take Rogers now, even if it is for 2-5 years, over any of the QBs that were drafted in this year's draft. If we landed either of those two QBs, we'd be playoff bound.

Honestly, I don't know any other reason why we wouldn't of drafted a QB other than what stated above. The only other reason I can think we didn't take Fields was due to his Epilepsy. It's unfortunate if that's the case. However, I'm not a medical expert and I don't know the effects that would have on someone playing in the NFL.

I agree that those are the arguments for why you would sit at number 9 and have two top college prospects drop in your lap and decide to draft a corner. However, I would counter that with:

1) It’s not the GM’s job to appease the coach or even bail him out of the hole he put himself in (yep, Fangio has made his own mess of things, including some of his assistant coaching hires, and has to show he can do better with the talent he’s given). It’s the GM’s job to improve the long term viability of the organization. This includes (at a minimum) adding starting talent at positions of need. Are we really saying that Paton passed on adding a potential franchise quarterback because he was afraid it would make Vick look bad? Really? That old dog don’t hunt...

2) Quarterback is the most important position on the roster. Doesn’t matter what else you do if you don’t have one. You can win without other talent if you have a quarterback, you can’t win without one. So here I have to guess that either they think one of Drew Lock or Teddy B. have starting level talent (something that we have to guess they’ve seen on film or in practice because the general public hasn’t seen evidence of this) or they weren’t high on either Fields or Mac and didn’t see enough there to sell them (which again goes against the opinion of many). So either they are super smart or super dumb. Are they really confident enough they’ve found the guy in our quarterback room to justify passing on top level talent at the position when given the opportunity to draft it? I’m no GM but that seems like a bad strategy given the evidence.

3) We are stacked for DBs for this next season. That means we drafted a backup for this next year. That’s not what the first round is for. That’s for middle rounds, late rounds and free agents. They get coached up, you find some diamonds in the rough and they become quality players. A first round pick is expected to start and shine immediately. So it’s not getting value out of our draft position given our circumstances which is one of the biggest gripes I’ve had with our drafting over the years.

4) If they pull off a blockbuster trade for Rogers, I’ll be excited (who wouldn’t). But you have to ask at what cost? Multiple first round picks, top talent at other positions. There is a cost there. Balance that with what they could have done last night. We could have drafted a first round quarterback who could have the potential to set us up for a decade at the position with no loss of any other capital than a first round pick. I’m not saying it was a sure thing (far from it) but if you need a quarterback you have to give yourself the opportunity when you have it and we had it last night and blew it (with all due respect to Patrick Surtain II, I’m sure he’s great and will be a good player in this league, but unfortunately he doesn’t play quarterback).

Besides, blockbuster trades are a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, awesome to think about but rarely seen for many reasons. It’s beyond a hop, skip and a jump to think that this is going to happen. It’s low likelihood bordering on pipe dream and for that reason, for this to even be in the conversation about why we didn’t draft quarterback last night, if that were his reasoning (which I can’t believe it was) Paton would be downright foolish, dumb, magic-think, naive and dim witted to base his draft strategy on this.

So I appreciate the fandom support of the pick, the fact that Surtain will be good, but I still think a healthy amount of head scratching is in order here...
    Last edited by Humberg; 04-30-2021, 03:31 PM.
    To permit irresponsible authority is to sell disaster. (Heinlein)...like Broncos season tickets!

Comment

I am not sure why some people thought the 4th and 5th QB were worth drafting. Three other teams did not think they were worth drafting. A whole team of people working for the Broncos who spend endless hours a week did not think they were drafting.

I do understand why people want a QB but this is real life....getting a good starting NFL qb is not going to happen just because a team wants one...
      Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
        I am not sure why some people thought the 4th and 5th QB were worth drafting. Three other teams did not think they were worth drafting. A whole team of people working for the Broncos who spend endless hours a week did not think they were drafting.

I do understand why people want a QB but this is real life....getting a good starting NFL qb is not going to happen just because a team wants one...
        Nobody knows how the QBs from this draft will pan out in 2021, other than Lawrence. I think he has a great chance to make a huge impact starting game one. But.....

I say everyone should put their crystal balls back in the closet and wait to see what happens the first 6 to 8 games with our QB situation and then come in here and blow the forum up regarding which side of the Bronco QB fence you're on.

Go Drew...Go Teddy.....
        Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

Nobody knows how the QBs from this draft will pan out in 2021, other than Lawrence. I think he has a great chance to make a huge impact starting game one. But.....

I say everyone should put their crystal balls back in the closet and wait to see what happens the first 6 to 8 games with our QB situation and then come in here and blow the forum up regarding which side of the Bronco QB fence you're on.

Go Drew...Go Teddy.....
          We won't know about this year's rookie QBs for about three years, if they play.
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Paton promised competition at quarterback. He gave us Teddy Bridgewater. I can understand why people might be upset.

I’m fine with giving Lock another year. I just hope he gets a real chance and Teddy only plays because of an injury to Lock.

Teddy is a backup. He isn’t a franchise quarterback.
            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
            You Mad Bro?
            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by Humberg View Post
              I agree that those are the arguments for why you would sit at number 9 and have two top college prospects drop in your lap and decide to draft a corner. However, I would counter that with:

1) It’s not the GM’s job to appease the coach or even bail him out of the hole he put himself in (yep, Fangio has made his own mess of things, including some of his assistant coaching hires, and has to show he can do better with the talent he’s given). It’s the GM’s job to improve the long term viability of the organization. This includes (at a minimum) adding starting talent at positions of need. Are we really saying that Paton passed on adding a potential franchise quarterback because he was afraid it would make Vick look bad? Really? That old dog don’t hunt...

2) Quarterback is the most important position on the roster. Doesn’t matter what else you do if you don’t have one. You can win without other talent if you have a quarterback, you can’t win without one. So here I have to guess that either they think one of Drew Lock or Teddy B. have starting level talent (something that we have to guess they’ve seen on film or in practice because the general public hasn’t seen evidence of this) or they weren’t high on either Fields or Mac and didn’t see enough there to sell them (which again goes against the opinion of many). So either they are super smart or super dumb. Are they really confident enough they’ve found the guy in our quarterback room to justify passing on top level talent at the position when given the opportunity to draft it? I’m no GM but that seems like a bad strategy given the evidence.

3) We are stacked for DBs for this next season. That means we drafted a backup for this next year. That’s not what the first round is for. That’s for middle rounds, late rounds and free agents. They get coached up, you find some diamonds in the rough and they become quality players. A first round pick is expected to start and shine immediately. So it’s not getting value out of our draft position given our circumstances which is mone of the biggest gripes I’ve had with our drafting over the years.

4) If they pull off a blockbuster trade for Rogers, I’ll be excited (who wouldn’t). But you have to ask at what cost? Multiple first round picks, top talent at other positions. There is a cost there. Balance that with what they could have done last night. We could have drafted a first round quarterback who could have the potential to set us up for a decade at the position with no loss of any other capital than a first round pick. I’m not saying it was a sure thing (far from it) but if you need a quarterback you have to give yourself the opportunity when you have it and we had it last night and blew it (with all due respect to Patrick Surtain II, I’m sure he’s great and will be a good player in this league, but unfortunately he doesn’t play quarterback).

Besides, blockbuster trades are a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, awesome to think about but rarely seen for many reasons. It’s beyond a hop, skip and a jump to think that this is going to happen. It’s low likelihood bordering on pipe dream and for that reason, for this to even be in the conversation about why we didn’t draft quarterback last night, if that were his reasoning (which I can’t believe it was) Paton would be downright foolish, dumb, magic-think, naive and dim witted to base his draft strategy on this.

So I appreciate the fandom support of the pick, the fact that Surtain will be good, but I still think a healthy amount of head scratching is in order here...

Such artwork written Boss. A Great write up. I am already forecasting the near future and it starts with this. When I watched their so called Draft War Room when they were on the clock ⏰ and I noticed a few issues already. The issues were they had not one clue who to draft at #9 what so ever. They looked so ill prepared for the moment that it was comical. I could see Vic and Paton running in circles thus taking all the time before the pick was even submitted. I had shades of Vic on the sidelines not even knowing how and when to call a timeout. This was one of the reason that they only had 30 seconds left on the clock and that reason is Vic has no clue what so ever and the New GM is right beside Vic and with Paton doing 2 Bad Moves in getting Teddy Dirtball Bridgewater for the so called reason of pushing Drew Lock which is nothing but a laughable joke because we all know Teddy is worst then Drew us Fans are now once again that laughing stock of the NFL. It is moves like these 2 that will once again set Denver back another 5 Years. I fully expect Vic Fangio and his Cronies to be fired after this year to include the stupid hire of Pat and once again us Fans who know nothing are left holding the bag 💼. These past moves scream nothing but complete and total lack of incompetence.

Comment

Hey all -

Potential new fan here. Been in CO a while. Would love to jump on board. But the train of mediocre QB's sure makes it hard to want to switch to even secondary or tertiary Broncos allegiance. Thursday night was very confusing for me, I was incredibly excited Fields was available after 8 and I was so excited for the *possibility* of being excited for a Broncos season since I've been here.

Humberg - Seems well written up to me.

My only other take - and I hope to be wildly wrong by the end of the year - Fields may not ever be a superstar, but he sure seems better than Drew Lock, to my eyes. And he was sitting right there. At the worst, bring him into the locker room for some real competition. Lock can earn his spot if he is becoming such an improved player.

Anyway, Fields would've moved the needle for me becoming a fan on anticipation alone, was pretty wrenched that didn't happen. I guess I'm beginning to be a fan, first time I've cared even a little.

Comment

Originally posted by futurefan View Post
                  Hey all -

Potential new fan here. Been in CO a while. Would love to jump on board. But the train of mediocre QB's sure makes it hard to want to switch to even secondary or tertiary Broncos allegiance. Thursday night was very confusing for me, I was incredibly excited Fields was available after 8 and I was so excited for the *possibility* of being excited for a Broncos season since I've been here.

Humberg - Seems well written up to me.

My only other take - and I hope to be wildly wrong by the end of the year - Fields may not ever be a superstar, but he sure seems better than Drew Lock, to my eyes. And he was sitting right there. At the worst, bring him into the locker room for some real competition. Lock can earn his spot if he is becoming such an improved player.

Anyway, Fields would've moved the needle for me becoming a fan on anticipation alone, was pretty wrenched that didn't happen. I guess I'm beginning to be a fan, first time I've cared even a little.
                  Hey! Welcome to the forum! It’s a fun team to root for, but I think it’s a healthy practice for the consumer to view the product with a critical eye. They’ve made some awesome moves that are excitement worthy over the last few years. But their neglect of certain critical positions is maddening.
                  To permit irresponsible authority is to sell disaster. (Heinlein)...like Broncos season tickets!

Comment

Elway picked Lock and Fangio. Paton is playing it safe. He doesnt want to hurt his boss's feelings .
                    He knows this is a free "not responsible" year for him IMO of course.

Comment

3) We are stacked for DBs for this next season. That means we drafted a backup for this next year. That’s not what the first round is for. That’s for middle rounds, late rounds and free agents. They get coached up, you find some diamonds in the rough and they become quality players. A first round pick is expected to start and shine immediately. So it’s not getting value out of our draft position given our circumstances which is one of the biggest gripes I’ve had with our drafting over the years.

Exactly which player at 9 would you have drafted that will come in and start? Micah Parsons is one player I can think of and he comes with some red flags but I can't think if many others. Maybe a RB?

I disagree with your comment about no lost capital from drafting a QB in the first round. The "capital" also includes giving a QB two years to see what he has while also having vet players that want to win. Drafting a QB based on "potential to set us up for a decade" isn'tenough. Every QB in this draft has "potential". Instead of "potential" I suggest focusing more on the "probablity" of a QB being able to "set us up for a decade" than if it's merely possible.As a gambling expert, far to many base their decisions on the possibility of something happening rather than the probablity.

Comment

i am gonna call out bull**** here, Trent Dilfer and Joe Flacoo won a super bowl. QB such as Blake Bortles Case Keenum has made long play off runs. so to say you have to have a QV to win is an inccorrect and misleading statement.
                        sigpic
                        oakland raders gm
                        latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post

i am gonna call out bull**** here, Trent Dilfer and Joe Flacoo won a super bowl. QB such as Blake Bortles Case Keenum has made long play off runs. so to say you have to have a QV to win is an inccorrect and misleading statement.
                          He makes some leaps of logic, like with this comment:
                          So either they are super smart or super dumb. Are they really confident enough they’ve found the guy in our quarterback room to justify passing on top level talent at the position when given the opportunity to draft it? I’m no GM but that seems like a bad strategy given the evidence.
                          This reasoning assumes the only reason for not drafting a QB was because they "found" their guy and eliminates the possibility that they haven't found their guy in the QB room OR in the draft. Just because a team needs a QB doesn't mean they should draft one. It only means they should take a long look at all QB options including the draft. It's possible they aren't "in love" with Lock, or any other QB available in the draft. It's quite possible if one of the three QBs with the "toppest talent" dropped to nine we would have taken them.

BTW Daniel Jeremiah specifically said he had Drew Lock rated higher coming out than Mac Jones and below Fields,

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post

It’s about trying to win a championship. Are you arguing it’s a high likelihood that you will win one without a good quarterback? Even if technically possible do you want to build your strategy around a low likelihood possibility? Do you think at this point and time a cornerback is more important than a quarterback? You won’t find many in agreement.

Maybe you are arguing these guys were good enough. Blake Bortles and Case Keenum weren’t good enough. Flacco at the end of his career wasn’t viable.

Maybe you are arguing that you can win with the likes of them, particularly Flacco and Dilfer in their hey day and that they can win a SB. But both were first round draft picks, so was Bortles for that matter....so your point?

So let me ask a question, who at this point has the greatest chance of developing into a franchise quarterback: Lock, Bridgewater or Fields?

Comment

It’s about trying to win a championship. Are you arguing it’s a high likelihood that you will win one without a good quarterback? Even if technically possible do you want to build your strategy around a low likelihood possibility? Do you think at this point and time a cornerback is more important than a quarterback? You won’t find many in agreement.

Maybe you are arguing these guys were good enough. Blake Bortles and Case Keenum weren’t good enough. Flacco at the end of his career wasn’t viable.

Maybe you are arguing that you can win with the likes of them, particularly Flacco and Dilfer in their hey day and that they can win a SB. But both were first round draft picks, so was Bortles for that matter....so your point?

So let me ask a question, who at this point has the greatest chance of developing into a franchise quarterback: Lock, Bridgewater or Fields?

Eho has a higher chance to bust and never see the field Surtain or Fields? you need more then a QB. they where bad QBS who made runs or won a super bowl. it is best to actually build a team. i also do not trust Shurmer to develop a QB. there are alot more question marks in play then a QB. if it was all QB why did Manning win 2 and Marino never win. Elway almost never won and won 2 at the end of his career. Stafford has not been able to win Detriot. Dilfer was a Journymen QB at best and did enough to not lose. you need to build a team around to win. do you think Mahomes would look as good with out Kelce or And Hill? Fields was my favorite QB so it is kinda bummed we did not grab him. but at the same time we have other spots on this team we need to develop. i really hope Josey Jewell is not starting at ILB next year. we are probably gonna ride out Locks contract. and in 2023 look to replace him would be my guess right now. i also think Lock gets a hard time around here. i feel Shurmer is not the right guy to be Growing and developing our next franchise QB which worries me from taking a QB.
                              sigpic
                              oakland raders gm
                              latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Working...
                              X