Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Round 1 QB... OMG....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Humberg View Post

    It’s about trying to win a championship. Are you arguing it’s a high likelihood that you will win one without a good quarterback? Even if technically possible do you want to build your strategy around a low likelihood possibility? Do you think at this point and time a cornerback is more important than a quarterback? You won’t find many in agreement.
    This is a strawman. No one is debating the value of a good QB.


    Originally posted by Humberg View Post
    Maybe you are arguing these guys were good enough. Blake Bortles and Case Keenum weren’t good enough. Flacco at the end of his career wasn’t viable.
    Irrelevant. These players have nothing to do with whether we should have drafted a QB in the first or not. Are you arguing that the best QBs in Broncos history weren't good enough because we didn't draft them?


    So let me ask a question, who at this point has the greatest chance of developing into a franchise quarterback: Lock, Bridgewater or Fields?
    This is a valid question as it talks about specific players and not positions. But it's more complex than this. This team is built to win now. Look at all the vet FAs we signed. Fangio has to win now or his only chance at being a HC is over. Which QB gives us the best chance of winning games THIS SEASON?

    We also need to consider the cost of acquisition. Add Fields and subtract Surtain. Lock was already paid for and Teddy cost a 6th.

    IMO this is an important year for the Broncos. We need a winning season and to compete for the playoffs. There are proud franchises that become longtime losers, see the Dolphins and Raiders. We need to turn this around or it could continue to slide.

    With this said, passing on Fields could be a big mistake, only time will tell, and he has a lot of positives. But Fields isn't a perfect prospect and it will take time to find out if he can be a franchise QB or not and there are a lot of vets (and coaches) on this team that want to win now.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post

      Eho has a higher chance to bust and never see the field Surtain or Fields? you need more then a QB. they where bad QBS who made runs or won a super bowl. it is best to actually build a team. i also do not trust Shurmer to develop a QB. there are alot more question marks in play then a QB. if it was all QB why did Manning win 2 and Marino never win. Elway almost never won and won 2 at the end of his career. Stafford has not been able to win Detriot. Dilfer was a Journymen QB at best and did enough to not lose. you need to build a team around to win. do you think Mahomes would look as good with out Kelce or And Hill? Fields was my favorite QB so it is kinda bummed we did not grab him. but at the same time we have other spots on this team we need to develop. i really hope Josey Jewell is not starting at ILB next year. we are probably gonna ride out Locks contract. and in 2023 look to replace him would be my guess right now. i also think Lock gets a hard time around here. i feel Shurmer is not the right guy to be Growing and developing our next franchise QB which worries me from taking a QB.
      Yeah. Good points all of them. I’m not going to argue that building a team around the quarterback isn’t important. I share your concern about Shurmer but imho you shouldn’t let one bad decision lead to another. Your reasoning makes sense, but if that’s the reasoning in the front office Shurmer should be given his walking papers now. I just think it was a missed opportunity to significantly increase your chances of finding stability at the QB position, I don’t think corner was a top ten need and the front office actions and statements around the QB room make zero sense to me.
      To permit irresponsible authority is to sell disaster. (Heinlein)...like Broncos season tickets!

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Humberg View Post

        Yeah. Good points all of them. I’m not going to argue that building a team around the quarterback isn’t important. I share your concern about Shurmer but imho you shouldn’t let one bad decision lead to another. Your reasoning makes sense, but if that’s the reasoning in the front office Shurmer should be given his walking papers now. I just think it was a missed opportunity to significantly increase your chances of finding stability at the QB position, I don’t think corner was a top ten need and the front office actions and statements around the QB room make zero sense to me.
        Surtain is a really good player. he is gonna be really good here for years. he fits the style and scheme that Fangio likes in CB. i would agree i would like Shurmer to be fired i don't think he our OC of the future and we will probably have another poor year on offense. i have not been impressed by him at all. it is not my choice, i really feel Paton is letting Fangio make the calls in way more then normal. he is giving Fangio this year prove you are a good playoff type coach or your gone. so there is no risk to his job. then what i could see happen next if we are not a play off team Fangio and the coaching staff is probably gone and Paton will bring his own guys. so i think Paton wants this to happen so he can have his Coach and stuff not Elways. then after that you will see a bit of sheding of talent o make sure we fit a new coach and probably be looking for our Franchise guy in 2023. unless Lock or Bridgewater steps up there play from last year.
        sigpic
        oakland raders gm
        latavis murray trade bait

        Comment


        • #19
          a different perspective. Patton's deal is what 6 years? Even though we fans have been through quite a few years of downside, we should probably look at this as year 1 of the 'new plan'

          I like most would have liked to have seen a QB, but let's take a step back and look at the 6 year picture. Interesting video here

          The beatings will continue until morale improves....

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post

            i am gonna call out bull**** here, Trent Dilfer and Joe Flacoo won a super bowl. QB such as Blake Bortles Case Keenum has made long play off runs. so to say you have to have a QV to win is an inccorrect and misleading statement.
            If you’re saying it’s possible to win a Super Bowl with a mediocre quarterback, okay.

            John Elway said he wants to win from now on. That requires the proverbial franchise quarterback that’s bound for the Hall of Fame. Perennial contenders have great quarterbacks.
            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
            You Mad Bro?
            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

            Comment


            • #21
              A franchise QB gives you the best chance to have sustained success for years to come, of course it doesn’t guarantee a Super Bowl.

              In the context of our current roster, thanks to Elway and the additions by Paton this offseason— we are pretty much just a competent QB away from being serious playoff contenders. So this whole argument of needing to “build a team” before drafting a QB is kind of pointless because, guess what... we already have one.

              The talents of the offensive weapons are arguably one of the best in the league. Our OL is slightly better than average (Lock ranked 13th in time to throw in 2020). Our defense will be getting back so many players from IR, we retained homegrown talent, and we brought in two starter level corners.

              Before the draft, the only question mark other than QB was RT. The only other position that could’ve used a clear upgrade was LB.

              I would have drafted Justin Fields 9th overall. With that being said...

              We drafted two Ohio State players, Browning and Cooper. So it’s pretty obvious our FO did homework on the Buckeyes prospects, including Fields. Shurmur had Ryan Day on his staff when they were both with the Eagles. It’s increasingly clear that Denver were out on Fields and Jones, and the only QB they might’ve considered had they fallen to 9 was Lance— according to sources.

              Paton & Co. stuck to their guns and took the best player on their board, Pat Surtain II.

              A strong defense gives this roster a solid floor no matter who is at QB.

              This draft ensured that we’d have less holes going into 2022. The only position I could see Denver possibly needing is EDGE, since Von becomes a free agent then. Fuller and Callahan become free agents, but thankfully we now have Surtain, Vincent, and the other young guys in Ojemudia, Bassey, and Motley to step up. KJax becomes a FA too, but we doubled up on Sterns and Johnson to compete for his spot in 2022 as well. Johnson and Jewell become FAs but we have young guys like Strnad and Browning who could develop into starter level players (okay, LB could become a need). RT may become one if James can’t stay on the field, but by all accounts— he’s been one of the handful of players in the facility every day putting in work while everyone else is “skipping” OTAs.

              So if Lock or Bridgewater show that they ain’t it after the 2021 season, then it’s a green light to go get a QB in 2022.
              2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
              Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
                A franchise QB gives you the best chance to have sustained success for years to come, of course it doesn’t guarantee a Super Bowl.

                In the context of our current roster, thanks to Elway and the additions by Paton this offseason— we are pretty much just a competent QB away from being serious playoff contenders. So this whole argument of needing to “build a team” before drafting a QB is kind of pointless because, guess what... we already have one.

                The talents of the offensive weapons are arguably one of the best in the league. Our OL is slightly better than average (Lock ranked 13th in time to throw in 2020). Our defense will be getting back so many players from IR, we retained homegrown talent, and we brought in two starter level corners.

                Before the draft, the only question mark other than QB was RT. The only other position that could’ve used a clear upgrade was LB.

                I would have drafted Justin Fields 9th overall. With that being said...

                We drafted two Ohio State players, Browning and Cooper. So it’s pretty obvious our FO did homework on the Buckeyes prospects, including Fields. Shurmur had Ryan Day on his staff when they were both with the Eagles. It’s increasingly clear that Denver were out on Fields and Jones, and the only QB they might’ve considered had they fallen to 9 was Lance— according to sources.

                Paton & Co. stuck to their guns and took the best player on their board, Pat Surtain II.

                A strong defense gives this roster a solid floor no matter who is at QB.

                This draft ensured that we’d have less holes going into 2022. The only position I could see Denver possibly needing is EDGE, since Von becomes a free agent then. Fuller and Callahan become free agents, but thankfully we now have Surtain, Vincent, and the other young guys in Ojemudia, Bassey, and Motley to step up. KJax becomes a FA too, but we doubled up on Sterns and Johnson to compete for his spot in 2022 as well. Johnson and Jewell become FAs but we have young guys like Strnad and Browning who could develop into starter level players (okay, LB could become a need). RT may become one if James can’t stay on the field, but by all accounts— he’s been one of the handful of players in the facility every day putting in work while everyone else is “skipping” OTAs.

                So if Lock or Bridgewater show that they ain’t it after the 2021 season, then it’s a green light to go get a QB in 2022.
                This right here. If fans are going to put faith in the front office's confidence in Drew Lock, they need to do the same for Ja'Wuan James. Even though I typically mocked tackle to the Broncos in the first three rounds, I'm really not all that surprised we didn't draft one. What we think we know, and what the FO knows are usually two different things. I'm with you on Fields, but I don't get paid for this. I'll let the professionals do their jobs, and root for my team. Good point about the Day and Shurmur connection, btw.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                  a different perspective. Patton's deal is what 6 years? Even though we fans have been through quite a few years of downside, we should probably look at this as year 1 of the 'new plan'

                  I like most would have liked to have seen a QB, but let's take a step back and look at the 6 year picture. Interesting video here

                  Bravo George!
                  [sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    The Broncos drafted Surtain instead of Fields because Surtain was the best player available. Fields is a another QB project, exactly what the Broncos didn't need. Fields will be a backup in Chicago, by the way. Surtain's qualities are being compared to Champ Bailey's.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by samparnell View Post

                      We won't know about this year's rookie QBs for about three years, if they play.
                      Yet people here hate lock and condemn him to bust status after 18 games
                      sigpic
                      when do native Americans become human and not mascots

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by arapaho View Post

                        Yet people here hate lock and condemn him to bust status after 18 games
                        I saw Josh Allen play a couple of times in ABQ when WYO was in town. Was interested when he went to the Bills. He didn't do well as a rookie in 11 games, and improved some in 2019 starting in all 16 games. Going into 2020 I don't think anyone expected the level of improvement after two years/27 games that he put up last year. In every major category he was like a different player and seemed much more confident.

                        2021 is Drew's third year, but he has started nine fewer games than Josh entering third season. We'll see what happens. I felt that 2020 was a strange situation, and that I just hadn't seen enough of Drew to be ready to dump him. Bringing in Teddy Bridgewater will be good for him, because he will need to compete with a veteran who wants to start. It will provide the necessary sense of urgency.

                        Josh Allen was the seventh player picked in 2018, Drew was forty-second in 2019. Glad to hear Drew has been working hard at Dove Valley since the 2020 season ended. I'll be surprised if Drew Lock isn't greatly improved in 2021. How much remains to be seen. We'll see how it goes.

                        Since 1967 five QBs have been drafted in the first round three times including this year. We won't know how this year's QBs will do until after the 2023 season, if they play all three of those years. Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, Akili Smith, Daunte Culpepper and Cade McNown were drafted in the first round of 1999. Two of those guys had good careers with the team that drafted them. Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen and Lamar Jackson were drafted in the first round in 2018. Things seem to be going well for three of them and the other two are with different teams now. It would be cool if all five first round QBs this year were very successful, but that has never happened.
                        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X