George Paton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post

So you think we should have traded our #9 pick for Stafford or Darnold and Darnold's only one year older? They were both rated higher coming out, and drafted higher, than Fields or Jones were.

Also, using hindsight which of these QBs would you have taken over Champ Bailey?

These are the QBs drafted the same year Champ Bailey was drafted as the first Defensive player taken that year, #7 overall. Coincedently there were also 5 QBs taken in the first round that year too.

1 1 CLE Tim Couch
    1 2 PHI Donovan McNabb
    1 3 CIN Akili Smith
    1 11 MIN Daunte Culpepper
    1 12 CHI Cade McNown

2 50 TAM Shaun King
    3 77 SEA Brock Huard
    4 101 STL Joe Germaine
    4 131 GNB Aaron Brooks
    You do realize that he was drafted by DC, not Denver, right?

It's literally known as "The Trade".

You're literally strengthening my point.

When Denver acquired Champ in a trade they had what? Say it with me... A FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK!

The Foreskins have been a dumpster fire in many ways including drafting and roster management. So saying they are a shining example of masterful draft strategies is laughable.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye Bronco View Post

When Denver acquired Champ in a trade they had what? Say it with me... A FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK!

The Foreskins have been a dumpster fire in many ways including drafting and roster management. So saying they are a shining example of masterful draft strategies is laughable.
      I knew you couldn't answer my questionc directly. Everything you just said is irrelevant and is red-herring logical fallacy to distract from the actual questions. And these are actually fairly simple questions for anyone with real intellectual integrity. For example, McNabb is the only QB I would take over Champ that year using hindsight....but would stick with Champ.

You also seem to love straw man fallacies as I didn't make any assumptions. I simply asked a couple of questions. The Redskins ability to draft or not draft has NOTHING to do with my question. Why would you think it does?

Since you seem confused, I'll ask the question again:

Also, using hindsight which of these QBs would you have taken over Champ Bailey?

And here's my other question you avoided:

So you think we should have traded our #9 pick for Stafford or Darnold and Darnold's only one year older? They were both rated higher coming out, and drafted higher, than Fields or Jones were.

Direct questions are in bold to help you focus.
      Last edited by lvbronx; 05-06-2021, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Humberg View Post

Well said and that’s fair. I agree with your take on Bridgewater, so then it must all have to do with how good they think Lock can be with Teddy B’s help and I’ll give you that makes a certain kind of sense.

I just have a hard time putting all the eggs in that basket and passing on drafting a possible upgrade. I guess I would feel differently, even be willing to overlook being at the bottom among starters in QBR last year and leading the league in interceptions if Paton was sitting there saying “wow, I’ve been around a lot of good quarterbacks in my time and from what I’m seeing I’m telling you Drew could be special.” But he’s not saying that. It’s lukewarm comments. It’s “he’s working hard.” It’s not “Drew is the unquestioned starter for next year.” Its “we feel good about our quarterback room.” Have you ever heard that from anyone with a franchise guy? Instead we’re hearing it’s going to be an open competition to push Drew. That’s not a ringing endorsement and shouldn’t be reassuring to anyone. To me it sings mediocrity and we get enough of that from the Rockies.

I respect what you said. You make some excellent points and what you are saying makes sense. More importantly, as a fan I really hope you are right and I am wrong.
        I have to confess that I’ve long been a fan of that team in MN, growing up near there. While not abandoning the Vikes, I’m happy to be on board as a Denver Bronco fan. That being said, Paton has always been known as a shrewd executive, and a big loss to MN. Teddy B is a phenomenal teammate and person in general, so he’ll be a nice addition. He may be an upgrade over Lock, but I don’t really view Teddy as having the arm strength to ever really be anything more than he’s already showed. I haven’t seen a lot of Lock, and just from the outside looking in, I’m hoping there’s some untapped potential. I’ll be watching him much more closely moving forward, but appreciate all the discussion.

Comment

I think we do have more talent in the room now than this time last year. We still need to show it on the field tho.

Paton has done a good job imo. I know I have nit picked some things here and there but for the most part I approve of what he has done so far.
          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by darryn16 View Post

I'm not saying Paton can predict the future, but maybe he knows more about the Rodgers situation than we do????
            We know nothing about the Rodgers situation but Paton sure does.
            Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post

I knew you couldn't answer my questionc directly. Everything you just said is irrelevant and is red-herring logical fallacy to distract from the actual questions. And these are actually fairly simple questions for anyone with real intellectual integrity. For example, McNabb is the only QB I would take over Champ that year using hindsight....but would stick with Champ.

You also seem to love straw man fallacies as I didn't make any assumptions. I simply asked a couple of questions. The Redskins ability to draft or not draft has NOTHING to do with my question. Why would you think it does?

Since you seem confused, I'll ask the question again:

And here's my other question you avoided:

Direct questions are in bold to help you focus.
              Darnold didn't get a first round pick. he has been a bust in the nfl. why would you trade out #9 overall pick for Darnold? i mean he got a 6th a second next year and a 4th next year. that is not equal value to our number 9 pick. so i doubt any one in the nfl feels Darnold is a worth a first round pick or he could have probably got one. and he is not worth anything in my book. he is a bust at the QB spot. hasn't developed in the nfl. i think he looked worst then Lock in 2020. also rating a QB higher then another is opinion. i would have had Fields rated higher then Darnold coming out. so it is all kinda a moot point there. what has Darnold done in the NFL. nothing, seen ghost and looked like a below average to terrible QB. i wouldn't give a first rounder for that. i mean those are the type of moves that end up getting GMs fired.
              sigpic
              oakland raders gm
              latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye Bronco View Post

Jake Plummer was a Franchise QB. thats why we replaced him 3 years after getting him 2 years after you stated here. i happen to disagree.
                sigpic
                oakland raders gm

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

Lol he didn’t even mention Royce Freeman
                  Well, to be honest, Royce Freeman has been Just A Guy since we got him. I've seen him come in and run effectively on fresh legs in spot duty here and there last season. And that's it. JAG. He has 2021 left in his rookie contract so he could stick around if they end up needing to keep a RB due to injuries but I would not be surprised if he doesn't make it to the final roster this year.
                  Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

A few things that stood out:

Patrick Surtain II seemed a unanimous choice from those in the war room
                    Curtis Modkins sounded really high on Javonte Williams and George Paton seemed eager to trade up and get him
                    Mike Munchak spent an hour on the phone with Quinn Meinerz prior to the draft

Comment

I may have a bit of a man crush on Meinerz. How much do you love him saying "I'm ready to pound the xxxxx rock" to the GM on draft day in his first interaction as a Bronco?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post

Darnold didn't get a first round pick. he has been a bust in the nfl. why would you trade out #9 overall pick for Darnold? i mean he got a 6th a second next year and a 4th next year. that is not equal value to our number 9 pick. so i doubt any one in the nfl feels Darnold is a worth a first round pick or he could have probably got one. and he is not worth anything in my book. he is a bust at the QB spot. hasn't developed in the nfl. i think he looked worst then Lock in 2020. also rating a QB higher then another is opinion. i would have had Fields rated higher then Darnold coming out. so it is all kinda a moot point there. what has Darnold done in the NFL. nothing, seen ghost and looked like a below average to terrible QB. i wouldn't give a first rounder for that. i mean those are the type of moves that end up getting GMs fired.
                        So, Sam Darnold is a bust but Drew Lock needs another chance? I've seen as much good from Darnold as I have from Lock.

While I agree that Darnold wasn't worth trading our first round pick, I love how I get criticism for saying I'm giving up on Lock too quickly, yet, people are so quick to call Darnold a bust, even though he was drafted only one year before Lock. Not to mention the fact that he went to the worst organization in all of the NFL and he had nowhere near the offensive talent around him that Lock has had. I think we'll see Darnold have a good year in Carolina, now that he's been given a legitimate chance.

And as much as I don't like Fangio, I think we can all agree Adam Gase is way worse.

Comment

Originally posted by sra84 View Post

I love how I get criticism for saying I'm giving up on Lock too quickly, yet, people are so quick to call Darnold a bust, even though he was drafted only one year before Lock.
                          Well, I and many others are saying that Lock has this year to show he can play QB in the NFL. If Darnold was drafted one year before lock than Darnold already had his this year didn't he? And that's not even taking into consideration how many games either guy has actually played.

Comment

Originally posted by sra84 View Post

So, Sam Darnold is a bust but Drew Lock needs another chance? I've seen as much good from Darnold as I have from Lock.

While I agree that Darnold wasn't worth trading our first round pick, I love how I get criticism for saying I'm giving up on Lock too quickly, yet, people are so quick to call Darnold a bust, even though he was drafted only one year before Lock. Not to mention the fact that he went to the worst organization in all of the NFL and he had nowhere near the offensive talent around him that Lock has had. I think we'll see Darnold have a good year in Carolina, now that he's been given a legitimate chance.

And as much as I don't like Fangio, I think we can all agree Adam Gase is way worse.
                            every qB should be given a chance. but probably year 3 is normally an important either you got it or you don't year so maybe he is getting a another chance. but like this is the year he shows it now or he is probably a back up most the rest of his career
                            sigpic
                            oakland raders gm

Comment

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
                              I may have a bit of a man crush on Meinerz. How much do you love him saying "I'm ready to pound the xxxxx rock" to the GM on draft day in his first interaction as a Bronco?
                              This is one of several indications that a balanced offense featuring a smashmouth rushing attack may be the plan for 2021.
                              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post

This is one of several indications that a balanced offense featuring a smashmouth rushing attack may be the plan for 2021.
                                I hope so. I would love to see it. I'll watch some 300 pound ballet all day.

Comment

Working...
                                X