Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets Poll It....Do You Want Aaron Rodgers To Lead The Denver Broncos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
    It’s an MVP quality QB. Broncos have to inquire and make a competitive offer if he is truly on the market.

Have concerns of cost of course. In any deal there has to be a line that can’t be crossed. A “willing to walk away “
    line. Not so sure FO or many fans will agree on where that line is when caught in the frenzy of the moment. How many picks, players, cost cutting will be needed. It matters.

Also, have to include the expected new contract. Will Rodgers sign for “reasonable” amount or is he looking to be highest paid QB for long term? It matters whether he accepts $25m? $35m? $40m? Part of that equation is how motivated will he be to prove he is the best over a 3-4 year contract?

You are comparing to the Manning signing, does Rodgers have that fanatical work ethic that drove the entire team to be a champion? I do not know how he is as a teammate. Maybe a Rodgers fan can speak to that. JMO but he has always seemed to be a bit of a diva. Incredibly talented but not with that competitive drive of a Manning or Brady.

Bottom line is they have to inquire and make the effort but it has to make sense overall from the team. But within limits. I admit I am also one of the few that believes that Lock is going to improve into a good QB for years to come. I also realize it will likely be a Stafford in the same division as Rodgers situation when compared to a Mahomes. There are limits to my expectations!

i think a Rodgers deal will be less then trying to obtain a young star like Watson.

Who remembers the Walker deal to Minn:
    • LB Jesse Solomon
    • LB David Howard
    • CB Issiac Holt
    • DE Alex Stewart
    • Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990
    • Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990
    • Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990
    • Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional on cutting Solomon)
    • Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional on cutting Howard)
    • Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1992 (conditional on cutting Holt)
    • Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (condition met by trading away Nelson)
    • Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional on cutting Stewart)

Comment

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post

you understand the goal of any franchise is to win a championship. 4-5 years of finishing second means absolutely nothing. If you have the chance to win and win now you grab Rodgers
      Yes, thank you, I understand the thread !
      It said, "do you want Aaron Rodgers to lead the Broncos" and I responded my opinion that, I do not want Aaron Rodgers to lead the Broncos! A 37 year old, QB bandaid for 3 years possibly?

I think, for the franchise,
      for the long-term solution, is to develop a Young quarterback? But, thank you very much for sharing your opinion with me, I appreciate it.

Comment

According to Fangio, Lock and Bridgewater will split reps 50/50.

That's a joke. If they want to give Lock one more year, then do it.

This is what annoys the you know what out of me.

Bridgewater.....is..... not....a.... starting...... QB.

If this is the route they're going where Bridgewater has a shot to be our starting QB, then I'm willing to make reasonable offer for Rodgers. If it's too much, then forget it. Let them play Bridgewater and get themselves fired.

If they want to roll with Lock, fine. But unless he's hurt, I don't want to see Bridgewater starting.

Everything else this team has done is great..... but this is my biggest issue with them.
        Last edited by sra84; 05-02-2021, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post

i think a Rodgers deal will be less then trying to obtain a young star like Watson.

Who remembers the Walker deal to Minn:
          • LB Jesse Solomon
          • LB David Howard
          • CB Issiac Holt
          • DE Alex Stewart
          • Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990
          • Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990
          • Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990
          • Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional on cutting Solomon)
          • Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional on cutting Howard)
          • Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1992 (conditional on cutting Holt)
          • Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (condition met by trading away Nelson)
          • Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional on cutting Stewart)
          Answer.....any Vikes fan that is old enough to remember.

Ditka tried to up the anti with his "walk off" deal for Ricky Williams. Alas, he came up a little short. But the Vikes/Cowboys deal was the Cowboys' heist of the century!

Comment

I dislike when players diva their way out of a contract because the team and fan base always suffer.
            Rodgers re-upped with Green Bay, and he should uphold his contract there.
            However, I wouldn't be too upset if he made his way to Denver.

Comment

Originally posted by mozzerpete View Post
              I dislike when players diva their way out of a contract because the team and fan base always suffer.
              Rodgers re-upped with Green Bay, and he should uphold his contract there.
              However, I wouldn't be too upset if he made his way to Denver.
              There's always a "however", or a "but", and that's always the one to watch for.

Comment

I understand the enthusiasm some have at the possibilities but I would want some restraint to be shown by the FO no matter how intoxicating it might be for some. If the deal is smart I am all for it.

I would prefer to not trade any current players. Isn’t the roster a part of the reason Rodgers would interested. They are the foundation of a solid roster after the current one year contracts go back to free agency. I understand that a couple may have to be included. Lock, maybe a potential coming off rookie contract issues in the next year or two. I’ll let cap gurus figure that one out.

I would be comfortable going up to the 1st and 2nds for the next two years. And most importantly, Rodgers needs to be flexible on his new contract. More Brady then Wilson. Somewhere in the 4 yr/$100m /$75m guaranteed range. The more it climbs the more my enthusiasm wanes.

Most of all I want a quick resolution. I absolutely hate being at the mercy of dysfunctional situations. Agree in principle within weeks or move on to preparing for the season. Letting this linger and hoping is just bad business.

Comment

If he was released and was a FA, I would consider trying to sign him.

Comment

Just a reminder of Rodgers' 2020 stats:
                    48 TDs
                    5 INTs

I'd give up two firsts plus conditional picks based on how long he plays for us.

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
                      48 TDs
                      5 INTs

I'd give up two firsts plus conditional picks based on how long he plays for us.
                      This^^^^

Imagine if there was this QB who won a SB and was the SB MVP, was league MVP three times, and just came off a season with the stats you list.....

If you didn't know anything about him, for some strange reason, but heard he might become available, would you not want to consider acquiring him, even at market value? (Given your QB stable might not be the answer)
                      Last edited by CanDB; 05-02-2021, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Aaron Rodgers managed to alienate his entire family, openly quarrel with his coaches and have teammates call him out for being self-centered and arrogant and put himself ahead of the team winning. Add the permascoul and the 37 years of age, and I am not in love with the idea of dropping multiple years of draft picks. His play on the field is incredible. I am really just a fan of giving Lock one more year based on his improvement, and if that doesn't work out, go get another rookie next year with the cap space to resign the talent you have been collecting through the years in the dtaft.

Comment

My opinion....if he was a few years younger I would be on the Sell the Farm. His age now means he is probably in this for 2-3 more years. Willing to pay market value for that but I would like a QB in low 30s to for the "sell the farm" option.

The good

He is arguably the best QB in the NFL. Not the best physically and maybe not as good mentally as Brady but his combo of mind and physical ability make him top 5 easily to me.
                          He is under contract for 4 years. This year cap is about 15.2 mil. I think all roster bonuses in contract have been paid. There is a mention of a roster bonus for 2022 on the Notes of OTC but I do not see any mention of it anywhere else. Following years are 25 mil + 500k workout + incentives. For a QB of this level it is a bargain.

Bad
                          His age...he just turned 37. He does seem to be aging better than Brees but not as good as Brady imo. His mind should allow him to keep elite level play while his arm strength goes down.
                          The cost. Once GB decided to trade him they will make a team pay.
                          I do not see a No Trade clause. Means the team getting him may have to pay more. I have seen these not shown in websites and then appear later when it becomes news a player may be traded.
                          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
                            48 TDs
                            5 INTs

I agree with 2 first rounders. Also agree with a conditional kicker based on how long he plays. If we get Rodgers imo we will be in playoffs. Rodgers plus Vic defense imo means we drafting way low until he retires.
                            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Never thought I'd be posting a thread like this, at this time of year...make that any time. The beauty of sports!!

Comment

Not arguing the desire to acquire Rodgers. Just think my definition of “competitive offer” includes having a competitive team for him to play with over the 4 years he is expected to play.

A couple years of early picks, I’m interested. Start adding players and it becomes less attractive. How “competitive” will the Broncos be after signing his extension that is part of his wanting to leave GB. That has to be made a part of the discussion.

And let’s add in another topic to consider with Rodgers. Will he work well in this offense? With Shurmur? Is a new OC this summer a part of the package? How competitive will they be as they adjust?

Adding Rodgers is complex and risky. And it is a plan with a ticking clock. There can only be so many roster/ coaching changes that can be made in the short window before Rodgers declines or becomes disinterested. Are the Broncos capable of pulling it off?

Comment

Working...
                                X