Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets Poll It....Do You Want Aaron Rodgers To Lead The Denver Broncos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I keep the fire burning even if none of it individually proves anything. Here's Adam Schein's bold take......

Bold predictions for 2021 NFL season: Aaron Rodgers lifts Broncos, Julio Jones fuels Titans

1) Aaron Rodgers leads the Broncos on a deep playoff run

If you watched Rodgers' chat with the legendary Kenny Mayne on his final SportsCenter on Monday night, you have to believe Rodgers is done with the Packers. Why? Well, the Pack inexplicably put an expiration date on the future Hall of Famer's time in Green Bay. Instead of getting Rodgers some help in a 2020 draft class loaded with receiver talent, the Packers traded up to draft his replacement.

As Rodgers said while talking to Mayne, he threw a wrench into GM Brian Gutekunst's ill-conceived transition timeline by going out this past season and winning his third MVP award. No, the quarterback didn't mention Gutekunst by name, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to read between the lines.

"It's just kind of about a philosophy and maybe forgetting that it is about the people that make the thing go," Rodgers said to Mayne. "It's about character, it's about culture, it's about doing things the right way."

Rodgers is speaking directly to Pack brass there: Gutekunst, team president Mark Murphy and the front-office folks. Those people aren't changing. It's over. It's been over. Go back and listen to Rodgers' press conference following the Championship Sunday loss to Tampa Bay. He basically said goodbye. It's significant he isn't at OTAs for the first time in his career. Do you think he's showing up to mandatory minicamp in a couple weeks? Training camp? Standing side by side with Gutekunst and Murphy?

Enter Denver.

Rodgers is the most talented quarterback ever, fresh off his best season ever, so he won't come cheap. Three first-rounders and OLB Bradley Chubb is the starting point of a potential trade. But man, just think of this quarterback with this roster. The Broncos would surround the 37-year-old with explosive playmakers in the passing game, including receivers Jerry Jeudy, Courtland Sutton and KJ Hamler, as well as tight end Noah Fant. The ground game is rock solid, with enticing second-round pick Javonte Williams joining seasoned veteran Melvin Gordon. And you know Vic Fangio will field a stout defense, especially now that he has stud corners in Patrick Surtain II and Kyle Fuller to fulfill his vision.

I would still call Kansas City "the team to beat" in the AFC West and AFC, but I'd put a Rodgers-led Broncos team up with anyone else in the loaded conference. Denver would be right in the mix with a Bills squad that's beginning to look like a juggernaut, an emerging Browns team thinking Super Bowl, the always-in-the-conversation Ravens and the ready-to-rumble Colts. And come January, are you betting against Mr. Rodgers?

More fuel even if just a bold prediction. Question I keep asking....why is it we're almost always a likely landing point for Rodgers? Maybe coincidence? Maybe more.

Comment

• I would want to be on the other side of any big trade. I keep remembering things like Ricky Williams and Hershel Walker, and more recently the Miami deal. Green Bay has really stepped in it and have a problem I don't want the Broncos helping them out of it. Broncos have been targeting high character guys and I don't have Rogers completely in that camp.

Comment

• Originally posted by welderhead View Post
        I would want to be on the other side of any big trade. I keep remembering things like Ricky Williams and Hershel Walker, and more recently the Miami deal. Green Bay has really stepped in it and have a problem I don't want the Broncos helping them out of it. Broncos have been targeting high character guys and I don't have Rogers completely in that camp.
        So you don't think Rodgers has good character? I do see how he has some diva tendencies, but I hear he is well liked in the locker room, and I give him big points for his charitable work.

And though I do not think you are comparing a potential Rodgers deal to that of Williams and Walker, I understand. but those were pretty ridiculous "bets" from the get go.
        Last edited by CanDB; 05-27-2021, 11:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by welderhead View Post
          I would want to be on the other side of any big trade. I keep remembering things like Ricky Williams and Hershel Walker, and more recently the Miami deal. Green Bay has really stepped in it and have a problem I don't want the Broncos helping them out of it. Broncos have been targeting high character guys and I don't have Rogers completely in that camp.
          I think it’s interesting though, you’ll never see a trade like the Williams trade again. Closest thing I can think of was the Julio Jones trade that netted Cleveland, Phil Taylor, Greg Little, Brandon Weeden, and Owen Marecic.

The picks used to acquire Williams ended up being Cade McNown, Dwayne Bates, Nate Stimson, Khari Samuel, Desmond Clark (by us), Billy Miller (by us again), Lavar Arrington, and Lloyd Harrison. So basically Williams for Arrington is what the trade amounted to. Granted most of those picks were made by Chicago as Washington repackaged some picks to move back up and take Champ Bailey which makes the trade look worse until you consider Washington just ended up trade Bailey to us for Portis. All in all the Saints got Williams for 3 season, Washington got Bailey for 5 and Arrington for 6.

In my eyes, at the time these trades always look one sided, but over time they usually end up being a wash because most of those draft picks don’t pan out. The Walker trade was the only one that remained lopsided as they turned those picks into Emmitt Smith and Darren Woodson.

But the Williams/Walker trades are a thing of the past, we’ll never see a team give up that much draft capital ever again. If Love doesn’t pan out, it’s likely none of those picks end up making a difference. And even if they do, solving the QB position is tough and if they can’t get it right those guys will probably leave. And even then, that’s only if they pan out, history tells us they’ll get 1 maybe 2 good to great players out of it. If that means we win a super bowl I’m good with that. Even if we don’t win a super bowl, I’ll be fine just getting out of the basement of the AFC West and having a real rooting interest in watching in January/February again.

At the end of the day you have to take a long hard look at how our roster is currently constructed. None of those picks matter for this upcoming season. If you think Rodgers can go all the way with this team then you have to go for it. Even if we include a player, I still think we’d have a great shot if we trade Chubb for Rodgers. Who knows, with the draft compensation we might be able to swing Gary in that trade as a replacement for Chubb. Even if we don’t, I think Reed showed enough last season that he’s capable of being a strong secondary pass rushing option, he did lead the team with 9.5 sacks. Factor in some natural improvement from Jones (6 sacks), Von Miller and his reputation coming back, Shelby Harris being back, Agim having an offseason with the best dline coach in the game, and I still like our pass rush. Obviously it’d be better with Chubb, but our offense would be so much better with Rodgers that it’s still a net win. And as long as Rodgers is playing here, those missing draft picks won’t keep us from making the playoffs. They might keep us from getting over the hump, I’ll admit that, but we have to get to a point where we have a hump to get over first.

Now my caveat for this long winded rambling post that I didn’t intend to make this long, if Lock is showing enough in these offseason activities so far to make the staff and front office believe he’ll make big strides this season as a QB then I would hold off on the trade. I believe Lock can get this thing turned around, but I don’t get to see him everyday which is why I lean towards getting Rodgers. But if he’s looking great, then roll with it and let him silence the critics this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

In a revised study, Rodgers' stats drop from a winning record of .475 to .467 if it's a regular Pepsi. Although there is some heavy debate about the linkage to sunny vs cloudy days, so lets see how this shakes out.
            The "stat" deepens.
            Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

The "stat" deepens.
              Here's another fact that often gets missed....when a player doesn't dress for a game, they are frequently undressed.

Comment

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

I think it’s interesting though, you’ll never see a trade like the Williams trade again. Closest thing I can think of was the Julio Jones trade that netted Cleveland, Phil Taylor, Greg Little, Brandon Weeden, and Owen Marecic.

The picks used to acquire Williams ended up being Cade McNown, Dwayne Bates, Nate Stimson, Khari Samuel, Desmond Clark (by us), Billy Miller (by us again), Lavar Arrington, and Lloyd Harrison. So basically Williams for Arrington is what the trade amounted to. Granted most of those picks were made by Chicago as Washington repackaged some picks to move back up and take Champ Bailey which makes the trade look worse until you consider Washington just ended up trade Bailey to us for Portis. All in all the Saints got Williams for 3 season, Washington got Bailey for 5 and Arrington for 6.

In my eyes, at the time these trades always look one sided, but over time they usually end up being a wash because most of those draft picks don’t pan out. The Walker trade was the only one that remained lopsided as they turned those picks into Emmitt Smith and Darren Woodson.

But the Williams/Walker trades are a thing of the past, we’ll never see a team give up that much draft capital ever again. If Love doesn’t pan out, it’s likely none of those picks end up making a difference. And even if they do, solving the QB position is tough and if they can’t get it right those guys will probably leave. And even then, that’s only if they pan out, history tells us they’ll get 1 maybe 2 good to great players out of it. If that means we win a super bowl I’m good with that. Even if we don’t win a super bowl, I’ll be fine just getting out of the basement of the AFC West and having a real rooting interest in watching in January/February again.

At the end of the day you have to take a long hard look at how our roster is currently constructed. None of those picks matter for this upcoming season. If you think Rodgers can go all the way with this team then you have to go for it. Even if we include a player, I still think we’d have a great shot if we trade Chubb for Rodgers. Who knows, with the draft compensation we might be able to swing Gary in that trade as a replacement for Chubb. Even if we don’t, I think Reed showed enough last season that he’s capable of being a strong secondary pass rushing option, he did lead the team with 9.5 sacks. Factor in some natural improvement from Jones (6 sacks), Von Miller and his reputation coming back, Shelby Harris being back, Agim having an offseason with the best dline coach in the game, and I still like our pass rush. Obviously it’d be better with Chubb, but our offense would be so much better with Rodgers that it’s still a net win. And as long as Rodgers is playing here, those missing draft picks won’t keep us from making the playoffs. They might keep us from getting over the hump, I’ll admit that, but we have to get to a point where we have a hump to get over first.

Now my caveat for this long winded rambling post that I didn’t intend to make this long, if Lock is showing enough in these offseason activities so far to make the staff and front office believe he’ll make big strides this season as a QB then I would hold off on the trade. I believe Lock can get this thing turned around, but I don’t get to see him everyday which is why I lean towards getting Rodgers. But if he’s looking great, then roll with it and let him silence the critics this season.
                How about this as a possibility. Rodgers holds out into the season like Carson Palmer did. Lock is playing pretty well after the first two games. How would this affect the value of our offer to GB for Rodgers? If Lock or Teddy plays poorly how much does that increase our offer for Rodgers?

Comment

• Originally posted by lvbronx View Post

How about this as a possibility. Rodgers holds out into the season like Carson Palmer did. Lock is playing pretty well after the first two games. How would this affect the value of our offer to GB for Rodgers? If Lock or Teddy plays poorly how much does that increase our offer for Rodgers?
                  Well if Lock or Teddy plays well then we’re probably out of the convo. If they play poorly I don’t think it would increase our offer much. If they play really poorly, well by that time we might have a better idea of how the next draft class is shaping up at QB and getting a young franchise QB might be more enticing to Paton.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

Here's another fact that often gets missed....when a player doesn't dress for a game, they are frequently undressed.
                    Totally naked on the sideline....how do they hide so well.....is body paint involved....how do they stay warm in the winter months? Baffling!
                    Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

Totally naked on the sideline....how do they hide so well.....is body paint involved....how do they stay warm in the winter months? Baffling!
                      The cold part really worries me. You know how shrinkage can be a factor in life.

Comment

• My hunch is that nothing will happen until TC time. The clock officially (finally) starts June 1st. However, I bet the pack do not make a move until Rodgers sits out TC. Once that happens then they will make the trade. Which kinda sucks because Id like to get him in here before then so he knows the playbook etc. But whatever, its AARON MF RODGERS! Even if it takes him til week 6 lol- we can still go on an 11 game in streak to finish out the season.

So far:
                        FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                        1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

• Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
                          My hunch is that nothing will happen until TC time. The clock officially (finally) starts June 1st. However, I bet the pack do not make a move until Rodgers sits out TC. Once that happens then they will make the trade. Which kinda sucks because Id like to get him in here before then so he knows the playbook etc. But whatever, its AARON MF RODGERS! Even if it takes him til week 6 lol- we can still go on an 11 game in streak to finish out the season.
                          Yep, I was thinking that GB waits until he sits out TC too. GB was a better defensive showing and stupid play calling away from going to the Super Bowl. They shouldn't suck next year, but Jordan Love is a huge step down in QB play, especially proven QB play. GB has to call Rodgers bluff until the inevitable happens, which may still not be inevitable.

As far as play calling goes or knowing the playbook. If Rodgers came that late in the offseason, have Rodgers run most of his usual sets and let him play call his own plays if possible. At least some of Rodgers's own plays.

Comment

• Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
                            My hunch is that nothing will happen until TC time. The clock officially (finally) starts June 1st. However, I bet the pack do not make a move until Rodgers sits out TC. Once that happens then they will make the trade. Which kinda sucks because Id like to get him in here before then so he knows the playbook etc. But whatever, its AARON MF RODGERS! Even if it takes him til week 6 lol- we can still go on an 11 game in streak to finish out the season.
                            Yes, if Aaron "Moustache Friendly" Rodgers likes Denver, then I like him....HERE!!

Originally posted by WYBRONCO View Post

Yep, I was thinking that GB waits until he sits out TC too. GB was a better defensive showing and stupid play calling away from going to the Super Bowl. They shouldn't suck next year, but Jordan Love is a huge step down in QB play, especially proven QB play. GB has to call Rodgers bluff until the inevitable happens, which may still not be inevitable.

As far as play calling goes or knowing the playbook. If Rodgers came that late in the offseason, have Rodgers run most of his usual sets and let him play call his own plays if possible. At least some of Rodgers's own plays.
                            True...if Rodgers comes a little late to the party, I actually believe we can win a few early games with Teddy or Drew, depending who might be here IF a trade happened. The schedule looks ok early on. Having said that, Rodgers would not miss more than a game if a deal was made late. He's too valuable, plus as you say, you make the playbook more Rodgers accommodating early on. That's what our HC/OC are paid to do...and I am sure they are up to any such challenge.

Comment

• There is a problem with the comments about “ just let Rodgers run his own plays”. Kind of leaves the rest of the offense out in the dark doesn’t it?

The entire point of an offensive scheme and practicing them together is to build chemistry. To understand what to expect the other 10 players on the field to do when a defense stands on the other side of the ball.

Is Rodgers calling his own plays too? Can Shurmur adapt to “Rodgers offense”?

Ideally the Broncos get Rodgers ASAP to have time to work on the best offense for not just Rodgers, but the entire team. Including the defense if they have to scheme around losing key players in a trade.

This is assuming he actually gets traded of course.

Comment

• Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                                There is a problem with the comments about “ just let Rodgers run his own plays”. Kind of leaves the rest of the offense out in the dark doesn’t it?

The entire point of an offensive scheme and practicing them together is to build chemistry. To understand what to expect the other 10 players on the field to do when a defense stands on the other side of the ball.

Is Rodgers calling his own plays too? Can Shurmur adapt to “Rodgers offense”?

Ideally the Broncos get Rodgers ASAP to have time to work on the best offense for not just Rodgers, but the entire team. Including the defense if they have to scheme around losing key players in a trade.

This is assuming he actually gets traded of course.
                                I'm not sure I understand what you're saying in your first sentence. Do QBs have their "own plays" that the other offensive players aren't aware of existing? I thought QBs call a play in the huddle that was given from the sideline or changes the play through code words / numbers just before the ball is snapped and I believe the other offensive players know those code words / numbers to realize the play has changed...correct? Why would anyone be in the dark?

Please elaborate on "will Rodgers run his own plays." Thanks.

Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Working...
                                X