Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets Poll It....Do You Want Aaron Rodgers To Lead The Denver Broncos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by maaskesr View Post
    We dont have enough cap room to absorb him, so we'd have to give up some of our players, and obviously a lot of draft picks. I dunno. Isn't he at least 2 years older than Manning was when we got him, too?

Would love to have him at the right price, but I might be too frugal.
    You are on the right track. Part of the trade has to include players to fit Rodgers contract. Last I saw the Broncos need to make up about $13 M to make it work without cutting additional players for contract purposes.

If I am guessing correctly, that is why a player package of Chubb, Bridgewater and Hamler keeps being suggested. Fits the money needed. Other combinations might be desired to make GB happy.

This does not take into account adding any other free agents this season or the future extension Rodgers has already been offered. Who knows what he would expect or agree to after a trade?

The draft picks are a different story. Just icing on the cake.

Comment

• Originally posted by FR Tim View Post

You are on the right track. Part of the trade has to include players to fit Rodgers contract. Last I saw the Broncos need to make up about $13 M to make it work without cutting additional players for contract purposes.

If I am guessing correctly, that is why a player package of Chubb, Bridgewater and Hamler keeps being suggested. Fits the money needed. Other combinations might be desired to make GB happy.

This does not take into account adding any other free agents this season or the future extension Rodgers has already been offered. Who knows what he would expect or agree to after a trade?

The draft picks are a different story. Just icing on the cake.
      Correct me if I’m wrong but teams don’t have to be under the cap until final cuts. If that’s the case, we wouldn’t have to trade any players just to make the cap work. Obviously some things would have to be done after the fact, but reworking some deals, trimming the fat, etc could be just enough to make it work. Any players involved in the deal would either be key sticking points for Green Bay (e.g. Chubb) or guys we don’t see making the final roster. Von Miller is the obvious choice as far as reworking a contract goes, he probably wouldn’t get us all the way there but he could get us pretty close to where we would need to be. We could probably do something with Melvin Gordon too. And then there’s the inevitable game of kick the can with Rodgers himself where we lower this season’s number to guarantee more down the road.

There are many good reasons not to trade for Rodgers, I don’t think a lack of cap space is one of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

Correct me if I’m wrong but teams don’t have to be under the cap until final cuts. If that’s the case, we wouldn’t have to trade any players just to make the cap work. Obviously some things would have to be done after the fact, but reworking some deals, trimming the fat, etc could be just enough to make it work. Any players involved in the deal would either be key sticking points for Green Bay (e.g. Chubb) or guys we don’t see making the final roster. Von Miller is the obvious choice as far as reworking a contract goes, he probably wouldn’t get us all the way there but he could get us pretty close to where we would need to be. We could probably do something with Melvin Gordon too. And then there’s the inevitable game of kick the can with Rodgers himself where we lower this season’s number to guarantee more down the road.

There are many good reasons not to trade for Rodgers, I don’t think a lack of cap space is one of them.
        From my limited understanding of the cap, I am pretty sure you are correct. The final numbers are dictated by roster right before the season /final cuts.

They can make multiple moves to make the final numbers work. Renegotiate current contracts, waive current players, etc. Also agree with your potential player as Miller. Would love to see his contract re-worked. Glasgow is another that jumps off the page when you look at the Broncos team salary.

I mentioned those 3 players because the seem to always make it into the trade speculations in articles. And coincidentally, those 3 players all combine for the amount the Broncos have left to fit into the salary cap. Also think IF it worked this way, the reworked contracts would be needed to complete the team for the season.

All uneducated speculation on my part! lol

Comment

• Teams must be under the cap by the new league year. Any team over the cap would have lost draft picks.

Currently only the top 51 contracts count. By the time the season starts, all 53 will count.
          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
          You Mad Bro?
          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

• I may be naive, but my take is that good cap managers find a way, somehow some way. I don't pretend to understand how they do it, but they always seem to find a way.

I like to sit back like an Exec and just say, "make the deal happen."

Comment

• Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
              Doesn't sound like Aaron has compelled the Packers to do anything at this point...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...rodgers-bluff/
              Rodgers is sitting on his hands waiting on the Packers to do something...incredible...for him, which might be nothing until he does something this summer

like state to GB management...."I'm going to go ahead and sit on the bench this season....I don't need the money at this point in my career."

Rodgers has all the power...and he knows it.
              Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• Wonder when the Broncos feel it would be "too late" to make a deal. Obviously the change in the cap hit to the Packers had to happen but you could have easily had a deal in principle beforehand and announced it if it was going to happen.

The QB is the leader of the team and it's tough to be that if you show up in late August (Not that I would pin August as the deadline of "too late" this year but just an example of a very late time to make such a massive move.)

I think it's still perfectly reasonable to expect a move could happen prior to TC but even then think about time that other QB's are spending with receivers building chemistry so far this entire offseason.

If this is in the cards to happen I hope it happens soon.

Ultimately I still lean towards thinking it wont happen. If it happens I'm ecstatic, but if not I think we're still in a good spot. I think if Lock is on the field it's because he's improved quite a bit in important decision making areas. If Teddy's on the field I think our defense and running game is elite enough to carry us further than people realize. In one offseason our biggest weakness has turned into our biggest strength, CB. CB has quietly become more valuable than edge rusher in terms of building a great defense.
                A book I wrote

Comment

• I don't think Rodgers is coming to Denver, for one of two reasons.

1. Green Bay will stand their ground and not give in.

Or

2. The asking price will be too high and Paton will not want to give up too much in picks and players to make the deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by sra84 View Post
                    I don't think Rodgers is coming to Denver, for one of two reasons.

Or

2. The asking price will be too high and Paton will not want to give up too much in picks and players to make the deal.

I'm starting to think this way as well. I think everyday we get closer to the mandatory camp the chance of Rodgers decreases.

I personally think both #1&2 are in play

Comment

I don't think Rodgers is coming to Denver, for one of two reasons.

Or

These have been pretty consistent reasons since day one. I understand your position and I believe those 2 factors are very real. But from the get go, haven't they been the main reasons for no trade?

If I had to place odds on a trade happening, it might be 20% or less. But even at that, if I wanted it to happen, those are much better odds than me winning the next big lottery. So I hope.

And if that hurdle was passed, what are the remaining odds of us acquiring him. If we are interested that is. So yeah, even if that 20% is too high, the next part comes with additional odds. If we are interested, and based on how many folks like our chances, that's maybe 60% of the 20%. High side because there will be other interested parties. Oh wait....if we are interested is another. I'm being generous to my side, so I'll say 75% likelihood that Paton wants in and wants to deal.

So my best odds are 75% of 60% of 20%.......about 9%. Hey, better than the lottery. At that point it's a lot about finger crossing, and extra praying, though I don't think God plays favourites.

Last edited by CanDB; 06-02-2021, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

These have been pretty consistent reasons since day one. I understand your position and I believe those 2 factors are very real. But from the get go, haven't they been the main reasons for no trade?

If I had to place odds on a trade happening, it might be 20% or less. But even at that, if I wanted it to happen, those are much better odds than me winning the next big lottery. So I hope.

And if that hurdle was passed, what are the remaining odds of us acquiring him. If we are interested that is. So yeah, even if that 20% is too high, the next part comes with additional odds. If we are interested, and based on how many folks like our chances, that's maybe 60% of the 20%. High side because there will be other interested parties. Oh wait....if we are interested is another. I'm being generous to my side, so I'll say 75% likelihood that Paton wants in and wants to deal.

So my best odds are 75% of 60% of 20%.......about 9%. Hey, better than the lottery. At that point it's a lot about finger crossing, and extra praying, though I don't think God plays favourites.

Yes they have been. Yet, so many people (fans, media, etc.) constantly talk like it's a forgone conclusion that it's going to happen, especially, since we're now past June 1st.

I stated from the start that I don't think it will happen. While I think Green Bay will eventually trade him if Rodgers stands his ground, I have never believed that Paton would make the trade because of what Green Bay will ask for.

I believe Paton and Fangio are firmly going to stay with Lock and Bridgewater. First, like I said, Green Bay will want too much. Second, I think Paton wants to see how Lock and Bridgewater do. Fangio may be fighting for his job but Paton is here for a while so he'll probably not feel the pressure to make the trade if it's going to take too much. I think he values his draft picks too much, unlike a team like the Rams. And, lastly, the Broncos are building a culture of high character and hard workers who buy in, and, as good as Rodgers is, he's proven he will make a fuss if everything doesn't go his way. I've been very critical of Lock but I will commend him for how he's handled being forced into a 50/50 reps split. Granted, he's not Rodgers, but that kind of "embracing the competition" attitude, is something I give him credit for.

Comment

Yes they have been. Yet, so many people (fans, media, etc.) constantly talk like it's a forgone conclusion that it's going to happen, especially, since we're now past June 1st.

I stated from the start that I don't think it will happen. While I think Green Bay will eventually trade him if Rodgers stands his ground, I have never believed that Paton would make the trade because of what Green Bay will ask for.

I believe Paton and Fangio are firmly going to stay with Lock and Bridgewater. First, like I said, Green Bay will want too much. Second, I think Paton wants to see how Lock and Bridgewater do. Fangio may be fighting for his job but Paton is here for a while so he'll probably not feel the pressure to make the trade if it's going to take too much. I think he values his draft picks too much, unlike a team like the Rams. And, lastly, the Broncos are building a culture of high character and hard workers who buy in, and, as good as Rodgers is, he's proven he will make a fuss if everything doesn't go his way. I've been very critical of Lock but I will commend him for how he's handled being forced into a 50/50 reps split. Granted, he's not Rodgers, but that kind of "embracing the competition" attitude, is something I give him credit for.
                          I understand your take, and though I am in the "Rodgers camp", have seen few folks state that it's a foregone conclusion. And even as a Rodgers hopeful, clearly don't see high odds at this point. But some things that were said so far have made me hopeful, like I was when Manning was freed up. Like I believed when Brady was first mentioned as a guy who might be on the move. Are these similar situations? Not exactly. But is there a theme involved that makes this still relevant....I believe so.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

I understand your take, and though I am in the "Rodgers camp", have seen few folks state that it's a foregone conclusion. And even as a Rodgers hopeful, clearly don't see high odds at this point. But some things that were said so far have made me hopeful, like I was when Manning was freed up. Like I believed when Brady was first mentioned as a guy who might be on the move. Are these similar situations? Not exactly. But is there a theme involved that makes this still relevant....I believe so.
                            Believe me, I will not be upset if we traded for Rodgers. I'm just not getting my hopes up. I'll believe it, if and when, it happens.

Comment

• Bruce Arians asked Tom Brady to scout WRs ahead of 2021 draft (nfl.com)

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers continue to exploit Tom Brady's unstated title as Assistant to the General Manager.

The Bucs have repeatedly followed through with their desire to keep Brady in the loop on personnel decisions, acquiesce to some of his roster desires, and allow him more intel on the happenings of the franchise than most any other player in the NFL.

The GOAT earned that right. And Tampa's brass is not shy about listening to Brady.

The latest example comes from Bruce Arians explaining on the Rich Eisen Show on Wednesday that the club kept TB12 apprised of their plans to draft a QB and asked Brady to scout potential receiver prospects.

"Look at these receivers and see if there is something you like," Arians said he told Brady via JoeBucsFan.com. "And I will critique your ability to critique receivers."

Asked by Eisen how Brady did in his evaluation, Arians replied, "He did great. There are certain things he likes. He likes really good, big, fast receivers."

It's not breaking news, surprising, or even very interesting that (#shocking) Brady likes big, fast pass catchers. Who doesn't? You want short, slow ones?

Aside from the question about what evaluation TB12 had on Bucs fourth-round pick Jaelon Darden, for whom Tampa traded up to acquire, the notable nature of Arians' comments comes from the added work and insight the Bucs afford Brady. Who knows, maybe Brady is secretly preparing for his next career in a front office?

Good franchises should communicate with their very best players and listen to their thoughts and opinions, even if the club often ultimately eschews those sentiments. The Bucs' willingness to treat Brady like a supplemental member of the front office underscores the inclusive nature Arians and GM Jason Licht have bolstered in recent years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is how you treat your franchise QB. In Tampa's case, they ask him to scout WRs for the draft. I'm sure this is just a small sampling of his involvement.

And I am sure players like Rodgers and Wilson not only appreciate, but probably expect some of the same.

Comment

Totally agree with you. Like you stated, people (fans, media, etc.) constantly talk like it's a forgone conclusion that it's going to happen because:

Believe it will happen in the same way they believe the sun will rise every morning.

Have no idea but cling to "it will happen" whether they want it to or not.

Claiming "it will happen" to emphasize drama to get forum members to post.

Me....I don't care if we do or don't sign Rodgers. I would be shocked if we signed him. I have zero reasons.....I just don't see it happening.
                                Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Working...
                                X