Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets Poll It....Do You Want Aaron Rodgers To Lead The Denver Broncos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FR Tim View Post

You do realize the extension offer was made several weeks ago and has already been reported. Not a new offer or news.
    Who knows what Rodgers wants today.

As for the “best trade offer”. That is a completely subjective concept depending on which side of the negotiating table you are sitting. I just hope the “ need to make a deal” does not surpass common sense in any Bronco trade offer. Especially as the season starts in just a couple weeks.

Multiple picks, players, and Rodgers extension effecting the salary cap for as many years as he is in Denver are all part of the equation.

How many or how much of each is the key question. Best offer means different things to different people. Paying max price just puts the Broncos in exactly the same place as GB. Struggling to fill holes in the roster without high picks or cap room and trying not to piss off your star QB when his feathers get ruffled if you try planning for a future without him.

It’s certainly a risky short term all in move. If there is even a trade to be made.
    How come this appears to be a newly reported thing then? The articles I see are all very fresh. This is Schefter's twitter post:

This off-season, the Packers offered Aaron Rodgers a two-year contract extension that would have tied him to Green Bay for five more seasons and made him the highest-paid QB and player in football. Rodgers declined the offer, proof it’s not about the money.

About an hour ago...................pretty fresh!

I have been saying for some time that this is not about the money anymore. It's about enjoying life, being respected, and finding the right situation, which he has earned. It may still be in GB, but clearly there are gaps that do not start with this sign...$. The problem....when $$$ are the issue, you can wake up one day and a better deal takes care of the situation. But when it comes to respect, satisfaction and love of the job, you typically do not slap something together and say, we have negotiated a deal.
    Last edited by CanDB; 07-20-2021, 07:34 AM.

Comment

You do realize the extension offer was made several weeks ago and has already been reported. Not a new offer or news.

As for the “best trade offer”. That is a completely subjective concept depending on which side of the negotiating table you are sitting. I just hope the “ need to make a deal” does not surpass common sense in any Bronco trade offer. Especially as the season starts in just a couple weeks.

Multiple picks, players, and Rodgers extension effecting the salary cap for as many years as he is in Denver are all part of the equation.

How many or how much of each is the key question. Best offer means different things to different people. Paying max price just puts the Broncos in exactly the same place as GB. Struggling to fill holes in the roster without high picks or cap room and trying not to piss off your star QB when his feathers get ruffled if you try planning for a future without him.

It’s certainly a risky short term all in move. If there is even a trade to be made.
      Any move has risk.
      As for any possible trade, part of that equation involves our team being able to handle a contract as well as losing multiple picks. Part of that equation also involves other players and their investment, that equation also involves your specific salary cap situation.....not a broad brush painting of what teams typically do or what has worked. We are in our own unique situation.

Teams fight over QB, LT, WR, CB and elite pass rushers in the 1st Rd. We just so happen to have drafted WR and CB recently and would in this scenario have our LT and QB as well. Having 6 instead of 7 picks or in this case 12 instead 14 picks is not the death sentence some make it out to be. For a team needing many of those positions then yes, it hurts your chances at landing one of those key positions. But again we are in our own unique situation.

Neither Drew Lock nor Teddy Bridgewater have shown they are long term solutions, yet in 17-19 more games one of these guys is going to get a contract extension if we make the playoffs. If you are worried about risk, that right there is the real risk we face.
      We have a good team and it's not out of line to think this might be the best chance either one of these guys get. It might be the best season either guy ever has but we don't have the luxury to see if it was an outlier.
      The starting QB for the Denver Broncos will very soon be earning 25+ million. Unless we do something, we are giving that to Drew Lock or Teddy Bridgewater.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

How come this appears to be a newly reported thing then? The articles I see are all very fresh. This is Schefter's twitter post:

This off-season, the Packers offered Aaron Rodgers a two-year contract extension that would have tied him to Green Bay for five more seasons and made him the highest-paid QB and player in football. Rodgers declined the offer, proof it’s not about the money.

About an hour ago...................pretty fresh!
        Slow news cycle. Re-hashing old stories. He's right though, it was reported earlier this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post

Slow news cycle. Re-hashing old stories. He's right though, it was reported earlier this year.
          Ok....not sure then why Schefter is posting this am.

Comment

I think we have beaten this horse to death enough, but to respond to the highlighted portion of your post.....

The difference is they have been competing for the SB for the last 5 years, were 1 game away last year and likely are among the favorites (if he plays this year). That is the position I want us to be in. Competing for a SB. We have not been there for the last 5 years, not even close. So yes, anything ending up like them is EXACTLY what we want to be. GB struggled to fill holes because they are stupid at drafting. We do not seem to have those problems. Our roster is better than theirs QB aside.
            So far:
            FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
            1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post

No, and that doesn't happen with such widespread NFL news like this, look here.

Let's see the report from earlier this year with identical news content.

I think you may be conflating two different things. This blurb from ESPN identifies and links to some earlier news in April and May which is not the same.

Sources: Aaron Rodgers declined Green Bay Packers' extension offer that would have made him highest-paid QB

Aaron Rodgers turned down a two-year extension offer from the Green Bay Packers this offseason, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The deal, sources said, would have tied the reigning MVP to the Packers for five more seasons and made him the highest-paid quarterback and player in football.

Sources told Schefter in April that Rodgers does not want to return to the team because of issues he has with management. Despite his stance, the Packers have remained adamant that they will not trade the three-time MVP.

Since then, Rodgers has failed to show up to voluntary OTAs for the first time in his career. Training camp is scheduled to begin July 28.

Rodgers, 37, has said one of his issues with the team is that general manager Brian Gutekunst failed to give him advance notice that the team would trade up to draft quarterback Jordan Love in 2020.

"With my situation, look, it's never been about the draft pick, picking Jordan," Rodgers said on SportsCenter in May. "I love Jordan; he's a great kid. [It's been] a lot of fun to work together. Love the coaching staff, love my teammates, love the fan base in Green Bay. An incredible 16 years. It's just kind of about a philosophy and maybe forgetting that it is about the people that make the thing go. It's about character, it's about culture, it's about doing things the right way."

Although away from the Packers, Rodgers has stayed busy this offseason, including appearing as a guest host on "Jeopardy!" and participating in a made-for-TV exhibition golf event alongside Tom Brady, Phil Mickelson and Bryson DeChambeau.
              Last edited by L.M.; 07-20-2021, 10:15 AM.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by underrated29 View Post

I think we have beaten this horse to death enough, but to respond to the highlighted portion of your post.....

The difference is they have been competing for the SB for the last 5 years, were 1 game away last year and likely are among the favorites (if he plays this year). That is the position I want us to be in. Competing for a SB. We have not been there for the last 5 years, not even close. So yes, anything ending up like them is EXACTLY what we want to be. GB struggled to fill holes because they are stupid at drafting. We do not seem to have those problems. Our roster is better than theirs QB aside.
                EXACTLY!!!

I want to make the playoffs, year after year! I want to provide this already strong roster with a top tier QB again. I want to see how it all goes. I want the opportunity to win the big trophy. So yeah, sign me up if we're almost like them. We're ready for a big leap!

Comment

• Originally posted by L.M. View Post

I think you may be conflating two different things. This blurb from ESPN identifies and links to some earlier news in April and May which is not the same.

Sources: Aaron Rodgers declined Green Bay Packers' extension offer that would have made him highest-paid QB

Aaron Rodgers turned down a two-year extension offer from the Green Bay Packers this offseason, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The deal, sources said, would have tied the reigning MVP to the Packers for five more seasons and made him the highest-paid quarterback and player in football.

Sources told Schefter in April that Rodgers does not want to return to the team because of issues he has with management. Despite his stance, the Packers have remained adamant that they will not trade the three-time MVP.

Since then, Rodgers has failed to show up to voluntary OTAs for the first time in his career. Training camp is scheduled to begin July 28.

Rodgers, 37, has said one of his issues with the team is that general manager Brian Gutekunst failed to give him advance notice that the team would trade up to draft quarterback Jordan Love in 2020.

"With my situation, look, it's never been about the draft pick, picking Jordan," Rodgers said on SportsCenter in May. "I love Jordan; he's a great kid. [It's been] a lot of fun to work together. Love the coaching staff, love my teammates, love the fan base in Green Bay. An incredible 16 years. It's just kind of about a philosophy and maybe forgetting that it is about the people that make the thing go. It's about character, it's about culture, it's about doing things the right way."

Although away from the Packers, Rodgers has stayed busy this offseason, including appearing as a guest host on "Jeopardy!" and participating in a made-for-TV exhibition golf event alongside Tom Brady, Phil Mickelson and Bryson DeChambeau.
                  Thank you.

All I am seeing is a new story, posted by many sources....THIS MORNING. Appreciate your effort to get this right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                    So, hearing Rodgers turned down an offer to be extended and become the highest paid player in history. So, looks like money isn’t the reason.
                    You're "hearing" from who / where?
                    Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• Originally posted by L.M. View Post

So you are splitting hairs on this topic pretty close.

In April, it is reported GB offered Rodgers an extension, he refused.
                      In July, it is reported GB offered Rodgers an extension, he refused.

That is some damn fine cutting edge reporting by Schefter.

And since we are nit picking the details, in the Schefter report it states ".This off-season" . Do we know if Schefter is reporting on a new offer that was made by GB in recent days? A standing offer? The same offer that technically fulfills the "this off-season" criteria. Inquiring minds must know.

Most importantly does it even matter if he is not on the trading block?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                        So, hearing Rodgers turned down an offer to be extended and become the highest paid player in history. So, looks like money isn’t the reason.
                        Why do you assume he isn't planning on " requesting" that same salary from whichever team trades for him? You think he has leverage now....

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

Thank you.

All I am seeing is a new story, posted by many sources....THIS MORNING. Appreciate your effort to get this right.
                          Exactly.It is even getting big news article down under😁Here in Sunny Australia.It appears this new offer was more money and he said no which does prove what Rogers was saying ..."It ain't about the money" ...Adding further fuel to the fire he dislikes the current packer hierarchy enough to leave.👍

Comment

• Whether the current story is new or not, it was reported several weeks or months ago that Rodgers turned down an extension.

It means nothing at this point.

No one knows for a fact that Rodgers wants out of Green Bay.
                            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                            You Mad Bro?
                            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

• Sources told Schefter in April that Rodgers does not want to return to the team because of issues he has with management. Despite his stance, the Packers have remained adamant that they will not trade the three-time MVP.
                              The first sentence of this quote completely contradicts words that came out Schefter’s mouth on the Dan Patrick Show.
                              Last edited by broncolee; 07-20-2021, 04:29 PM.
                              My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                              You Mad Bro?
                              Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

• Originally posted by aaronitout View Post

Because we drafted Love with the plan of sitting him for two seasons behind Rodgers, then maximizing the last three seasons of his rookie contract. That is WHY Rodgers is upset, because we are clearly financially planning to move on after 2021.

What, you think us drafting Love and being willing to replace Rodgers with him, somehow gave Rodgers leverage? You seem to not realize that our willingness to move on from Rodgers is exactly what he is upset about. Trading Rodgers was in the cards since we drafted Love, Rodgers just doesn't want to go on GB's time.

Palmer and Plummer weren't the same situation as Rodgers, but even if Rodgers did sit, the Packers still have no reason to trade him until the 2022 offseason when there are more teams bidding. So, no, still no reason to trade until 22.

Not to mention, if Rodgers was going to sit out, he would have opted out. He obviously intends on playing this season for someone, it's just, the Packers have no reason to trade until after the season.
                                How do you know why Rodgers is upset? He's never said so himself. My guess is he doesn't trust the GB front office, or at least someone in the FO.

And where did you come up with the idea that I think drafting Love gives Rodgers leverage? You're just making things up now. Playing or not playing is Rodgers' leverage. I've said this many times so I'm not sure you'll get it this time either.

I've asked you before...why did Cinn trade Palmer when they didn't have to? They would have gotten more if they waited until after the season too, right?

As far as waiting to trade Rodgers next season after playing him this season...what happens if he gets injured, what does that do to his trade value? GB better hope Rodgers doesn't get hurt or your plan of "getting more" will quickly become "getting less". A bird in hand....

Comment

Working...
                                X