Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets Poll It....Do You Want Aaron Rodgers To Lead The Denver Broncos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post

The thing that is missing from that story however is that we did not give up players, we did not give up picks and his contract was not extreme.
    We took a chance on Manning's health that could have backfired, but other than that no one except the Tampa Bay Bucks have ever been gifted such a favorable deal.
    Rogers will be expensive both in money, players and picks, unlike what the situation was with Peyton
    This talk of the contract is only relative to the rest of the teams cap numbers.
    Yes, Manning was on a more friendly team deal for SB 50, but DT and Sanders certainly were not. Our Wr/TE cap hit was 30 million.
    We have some players like Fant, Jeudy and Hamler with 3 or more years of rookie deals remaining.

​​​​​​I think if we are going to consider the players we are "giving up" it's only fair to consider the players we may attract as well. Tom Brady is the sole reason the Buccaneers were able to bring back all 22 starters and then some. Their FA money went farther with talent than any other team. Vets took less to be a part of something. I could see a similar situation here involving Sutton, (possibly Miller) and maybe some of these DBs we signed short term.
    Last edited by atwaterandstir; 05-05-2021, 05:36 AM.

Comment

The thing that is missing from that story however is that we did not give up players, we did not give up picks and his contract was not extreme.
      We took a chance on Manning's health that could have backfired, but other than that no one except the Tampa Bay Bucks have ever been gifted such a favorable deal.
      Rogers will be expensive both in money, players and picks, unlike what the situation was with Peyton
      This talk of the contract is only relative to the rest of the teams cap numbers.
      Yes, Manning was on a more friendly team deal for SB 50, but DT and Sanders certainly were not. Our Wr/TE cap hit was 30 million.
      We have some players like Fant, Jeudy and Hamler with 3 or more years of rookie deals remaining.

​​​​​​I think if we are going to consider the players we are "giving up" it's only fair to consider the players we may attract as well. Tom Brady is the sole reason the Buccaneers were able to bring back all 22 starters and then some. Their FA money went farther with talent than any other team. Vets took less to be a part of something. I could see a similar situation here involving Sutton, (possibly Miller) and maybe some of these DBs we signed short term.
      Last edited by atwaterandstir; Today, 06:36 AM.

I am torn between both of your posts. It really does make a huge difference between whether or not you give up a lot for a player and it works, or you take a "deal" for a previous star that might be as good as they used to be but maybe not. Denver guessed right on Manning, who worked his butt off to return to an MVP level 1 year before his age/body ultimately broke down. Rodgers has my concerns with cockiness and a bit of a diva attitude. Yet Rodgers is elite right now.

What would change if anything for you both or anyone who cares if you believed Rodgers might restructure a bit if it looks like in the next 5 years we are AFC Champs with him?

Comment

• Originally posted by Southern Bronco View Post

What if Vegas (as rumored) is the other team in the mix? One of us will be confronted w/facing Mahomes, Rodgers and Herbert minimum 6 times a year next 3-5 years. That’s where I put the “For Sale” sign on the farm...
        Such a good point that I did not even pursue, after everything I else I said was positive about Rodgers. Vegas apparently is one of the teams in the rumours (at least), and you are so right, those 3 QBs would make for 6 very tough games for several years to come.

That would not be a primary reason to sign Rodgers, but it adds a little to the list of already solid reasons to trade for him.

Comment

With due respect, I think folks who want the trade to happen, and who see Rodgers as perhaps a safer choice compared to when Manning came here, know full well that there's significant compensation involved. But on the surface, player vs player, Manning came with a certain amount of "concern". And there was a big downside, given his salary at the time. Given his condition, one big hit in game one, and the great idea turns into a disaster. I really believe folks have forgotten the risk at the time, and how Elway (to his credit) moved straight ahead to make it happen. I don't know about you, but if I was Elway at the time, I would have slept a bit uncomfortably with that possible outcome hanging over him. It was all on him. I will always respect Elway for that.

Comment

• I kinda chuckle when people bring up Manning being one big hit away from disaster.

All players are one big hit away from disaster.

Manning’s career was one of durability. He wasn’t injury prone. He had one injury, granted, it was a major injury, that kept him away from football for a year.

The real concern for Manning was whether or not he would be able to throw the ball, which he was able to do quite well for three of the four years he was with the Broncos.

When it comes to Rodgers, it might be worth it to go after him hard in order to keep him away from Las Vegas. The short success that might come from it is worth the long term liability that might come with it.
            Last edited by broncolee; 05-05-2021, 07:23 AM.
            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
            You Mad Bro?
            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

• Originally posted by WYBRONCO View Post

What would change if anything for you both or anyone who cares if you believed Rodgers might restructure a bit if it looks like in the next 5 years we are AFC Champs with him?
              I wouldn't expect Rodgers to take less like Brady did or even restructure necessarily. I was just speaking from a bottom line salary cap total. We have some key guys under rookie deals now for a few years unlike the situation we were in during the SB year. I think Rodgers exuberant salary is "most" manageable for us for 3 years. Beyond that it's going to be tough to keep guys around unless the Cap number is much lower.
              I do believe having him here would give us a much better chance at a more team friendly deal to extend Sutton next year and some defensive players.

Comment

• Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                I kinda chuckle when people bring up Manning being one big hit away from disaster.

Manning’s career was one of durability. He wasn’t injury prone. He had one injury, granted, it was a major injury, that kept him away from football for a year.

The real concern for Manning was whether or not he would be able to throw the ball, which he was able to do quite well for three of the four years he was with the Broncos.

When it comes to Rodgers, it might be worth it to go after him hard in order to keep him away from Las Vegas. The short success that might come from it is worth the long term liability that might come with it.
                I kinda chuckle when folks quote you without quoting you.

Of course everyone's one hit away. But you are missing the point. Here's an example. If I was on the field, and Mahomes was on the field, I'd be much more "one hit away" than he. In fact, you can list every NFLer in the game today, and my one hit would be the most likely to cause injury (to my old body), even though I work out and such.

It' s very simple broncolee....Manning had a slightly concerning injury that affected him, as evidenced by his reaction to the cold. Rodgers has no such injury that we know of. He is getting older, has had a lot of bumps, but that's the only health related thing to consider (that I am aware of). Same as with Brady. They are not getting younger, but they did not have medical concern going in. Manning may have cleared tests, but there was a distinct concern at the time, even if it was on the cautious side.

And I do appreciate that Elway did his diligence, and still accepted whatever risk was still there. That took leadership and guts. Had Manning gone down, he would have looked bad. Even if the odds were low.

Comment

I kinda chuckle when people bring up Manning being one big hit away from disaster.

I actually had to embarrass a friend of mine in a crowd and ask him do you actually know what you're talking about when he said Manning was one hit away from being paralyzed. I got an alert before it really hit the news and was telling my friends. One of my friends asked if I was really happy about it, because had previously broken his neck and if he got hit wrong, he'd be paralyzed. I had to ask him if he really understood what he was saying. He didn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

I kinda chuckle when folks quote you without quoting you.

Of course everyone's one hit away. But you are missing the point. Here's an example. If I was on the field, and Mahomes was on the field, I'd be much more "one hit away" than he. In fact, you can list every NFLer in the game today, and my one hit would be the most likely to cause injury (to my old body), even though I work out and such.

It' s very simple broncolee....Manning had a slightly concerning injury that affected him, as evidenced by his reaction to the cold. Rodgers has no such injury that we know of. He is getting older, has had a lot of bumps, but that's the only health related thing to consider (that I am aware of). Same as with Brady. They are not getting younger, but they did not have medical concern going in. Manning may have cleared tests, but there was a distinct concern at the time, even if it was on the cautious side.

And I do appreciate that Elway did his diligence, and still accepted whatever risk was still there. That took leadership and guts. Had Manning gone down, he would have looked bad. Even if the odds were low.
                    I didn’t quote you because I wasn’t talking directly to you. You’re not the only one who has exaggerated the risk to Manning.

Once the doctors cleared him to play, it was no longer relevant to think he was at greater risk. The professionals came to the conclusion that it was safe for him to play.

Manning perfected the art of the self-sack to protect himself from big hits.
                    Last edited by broncolee; 05-05-2021, 08:19 AM.
                    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                    You Mad Bro?
                    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

I didn’t quote you because I wasn’t talking directly to you. You’re not the only one who has exaggerated the risk to Manning.

Once the doctors cleared him to play, it was no longer relevant to think he was at greater risk. The professionals came to the conclusion that it was safe for him to play.

Manning perfected the art of the self-sack to protect himself from big hits.
                      So you had no worries at all, when Elway signed that 5 year deal with Manning? None? Apparently he still could not feel his fingertips near the end of his time here. And for me, anything involving neck, and fusions, and nerve damage, makes me a bit anxious.

And per this article, back in 2012:

The status of Manning’s neck, however, will be an ongoing issue. It’s one thing to throw through the entire route tree on a practice field, which he did to pretty much everyone’s satisfaction, quite another to take a blindside hit from a 300-pound defender, which hasn’t happened since he was surgically repaired.

Does Elway have a Plan B?

“Plan B? I don’t have a Plan B. We’re going with Plan A,” he said.

(As for not quoting...some folks here do it often. They respond right after you post, but do not acknowledge. It's ok to do, but makes me wonder what's stopping them from interacting one to one.)
                      Last edited by CanDB; 05-05-2021, 08:48 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

So you had no worries at all, when Elway signed that 5 year deal with Manning? None? Apparently he still could not feel his fingertips near the end of his time here. And for me, anything involving neck, and fusions, and nerve damage, makes me a bit anxious.

And per this article, back in 2012:

The status of Manning’s neck, however, will be an ongoing issue. It’s one thing to throw through the entire route tree on a practice field, which he did to pretty much everyone’s satisfaction, quite another to take a blindside hit from a 300-pound defender, which hasn’t happened since he was surgically repaired.

Does Elway have a Plan B?

“Plan B? I don’t have a Plan B. We’re going with Plan A,” he said.
                        As I said before, which you have now confirmed, the real concern was whether or not Manning could throw the ball, not whether or not he was one big hit away from disaster.
                        You Mad Bro?
                        Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

As I said before, which you have now confirmed, the real concern was whether or not Manning could throw the ball, not whether or not he was one big hit away from disaster.
                          ?????

FTR....wondering if a QB can throw the ball is sort of relevant.

Did you read the part I quoted? The part about being blindsided by a 300 pound dude?

Oh I see....just a simple neck thing on an older player, who is not very mobile.

Anyway I will try to conclude as follows; I was concerned but also very happy when Elway had the guts and the wherewithal to sign a HoFamer to take over the reins here. It was a great decision in the end!

But if you asked me to do a risk assessment on Manning then and Rodgers now, I'm more cautious about #18.
                          Last edited by CanDB; 05-05-2021, 08:49 AM.

Comment

• Yes, of course, the farm and then some.

If the goal here is Super Bowl, absolutely nothing we can do otherwise would improve those chances more.

I'm a big Drew Lock fan, and I understand the cost we'd be looking at, but I can't even wrap my head around not trying our dangdest to get this done. Aaron could easily play 6 more years, heck in the shape he's in (the best of his career right now), he could play 8 just to spite Green Bay. Would you pay 3-4 1st round picks and probably a player or two for 6 deep playoff runs and very likely some SB appearances? I sure as heck would.

Comment

• Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
                              Yes, of course, the farm and then some.

If the goal here is Super Bowl, absolutely nothing we can do otherwise would improve those chances more.

I'm a big Drew Lock fan, and I understand the cost we'd be looking at, but I can't even wrap my head around not trying our dangdest to get this done. Aaron could easily play 6 more years, heck in the shape he's in (the best of his career right now), he could play 8 just to spite Green Bay. Would you pay 3-4 1st round picks and probably a player or two for 6 deep playoff runs and very likely some SB appearances? I sure as heck would.
                              Yes....I am sure most of us are hoping the best for Drew. He could still be "the guy". But opportunities in life occasionally come into your sights, and failure to at least do the research and consider the possibilities is not a smart way to conduct your business, nor is it the best way to live your day to day life. It's how the most successful folks approach their operations, even if it means adjusting their longer term business plan. It does not mean changing plans every time there's any form of potential adjustment before you. It just comes down to doing your homework.
                              Last edited by CanDB; 05-05-2021, 08:57 AM.

Comment

• Being completely ignorant of how things work in the NFL, I have a question related to a story I read.
                                The story spoke about AR holding out or even retiring if he wasn't traded,
                                My question is -- if he retires, could he come out of retirement to play for Denver? Would this mean, Denver wouldn't have to give up anything for him?
                                Thanks for reading!!

Comment

Working...
                                X