X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BroncoFanDK
    replied
    Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

Did he really fail in Minnesota though? They did go to the playoffs with him. He went 6-6 as a rookie, won rookie of the year, and that was without Adrian Peterson, and then went 11-5 with AP the next season. Then he had a horrific knee injury that very much put his career in jeopardy and sidelined him for nearly 2 years. By the time he was cleared to play they were in the middle of a 13-3 season led by Case Keenum. After that he went to the Jets who then drafted Sam Darnold. Bridgewater looked good enough for the Saints to trade a 3rd round pick to the Jets for him to be a backup. Bridgewater went 5-0 when Brees went down with an injury in 2019 which prompted the big deal to Carolina.

I agree that Bridgewater is what he is, but that doesn’t mean he can’t manage a ball control style of offense and be successful within it. If McCaffrey never gets hurt we’re likely arguing about Darnold and Lock rather than Bridgewater and Lock. But yes he’s probably not a QB that’s going to go out and win a Super Bowl without an elite defense and running game.
    People get so enamoured with single aspects of games. Teddy might not have the strongest arm, but it was not armstrength that made post 2011 Manning a success. Reeves kept Elway conservative as Fox did with Tebow. Tebow had some ugly passes once in a while and Elway had some real dumb plays, but what the playing styles had in common, and might have in common with Bridgewater is that a lot of short game sets up huge plays, and that winning is about finishing games. What Montana made his career on is what Teddy does well coupled with some deadly big play moments.

If Teddyball is death by a 1000 papercuts and a few well timed explosive plays I am in, but I just hope that either Lock or TeddyB show the kind of development that Plummer did when he came to the Broncos. Maybe Lock playing Teddyball is what we should hope for.

Wonder if we were the team that would rather keep our QB than sign Brady last year?

Leave a comment:

• lvbronx
    replied
    Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    I don't think it's fair to call Teddy Bridgewater a "dirt ball" he actually does a lot of stuff for the kids.
    I have heard he's a high-quality character.
    I totally agree. There's no need for this kind of name-calling.

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied
    Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post

Teddy was given a shot in Minn and in NO and in Carolina how many more shots do you need to understand that Teddy is just not a good a QB? At this point I would take Brett Rypien ( Rippin ) over Teddy ( Dirtball Bridgeunderwater ). Teddy can not win you any games what so ever and Honestly I am dissapointed in our NEW GM he had one job to get right this year and he goes a sign Teddy unreal. I hope Teddy rides the pine this Year then moves on to another Team just not in Denver please.
    No you wouldn’t take Rypien over Teddy.

Teddy is a great back up but a mediocre starter.

Leave a comment:

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    Originally posted by sra84 View Post
    Teddy Bridgewater is a backup QB. That's it. He should be our backup, not our starting QB. In 7 years he's shown that he's not a starting caliber QB.

I don't understand why he's even being given a shot. I swear, coaches and GM's are clueless. People say it's not that easy being a coach or GM.....but you know what, it's not that hard either sometimes.

I don't get what Paton sees in Bridgewater as someone competing for a starting QB position. He was with Minnesota when they drafted him, watched him fail and let him go.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.
    Did he really fail in Minnesota though? They did go to the playoffs with him. He went 6-6 as a rookie, won rookie of the year, and that was without Adrian Peterson, and then went 11-5 with AP the next season. Then he had a horrific knee injury that very much put his career in jeopardy and sidelined him for nearly 2 years. By the time he was cleared to play they were in the middle of a 13-3 season led by Case Keenum. After that he went to the Jets who then drafted Sam Darnold. Bridgewater looked good enough for the Saints to trade a 3rd round pick to the Jets for him to be a backup. Bridgewater went 5-0 when Brees went down with an injury in 2019 which prompted the big deal to Carolina.

I agree that Bridgewater is what he is, but that doesn’t mean he can’t manage a ball control style of offense and be successful within it. If McCaffrey never gets hurt we’re likely arguing about Darnold and Lock rather than Bridgewater and Lock. But yes he’s probably not a QB that’s going to go out and win a Super Bowl without an elite defense and running game.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post

Unfortunately, Drew Lock is the reason Teddy is getting a legit shot at the #1 position.
    I agree. People may not see Teddy as our starter, and in my opinion, he is not a long term starter. BUT given Teddy may not be the exciting choice, until Lock proves himself, we are not set at the most important position on the field.

And as I mentioned, if Drew does not have it, which might take a 1/2 season or so to determine, and with the talent on this roster, Teddy could just get us into the playoffs. He kept NO in the hunt when Brees got hurt 2 years ago.

But lets just hope we do not see Teddy in the driver's seat, because that will likely mean we are checking out Rodgers again next offseason. A catch 22 of sorts, for anyone who likes Teddy.

Leave a comment:

• Bronco51
    replied
    Originally posted by sra84 View Post
    Teddy Bridgewater is a backup QB. That's it. He should be our backup, not our starting QB. In 7 years he's shown that he's not a starting caliber QB.

I don't understand why he's even being given a shot. I swear, coaches and GM's are clueless. People say it's not that easy being a coach or GM.....but you know what, it's not that hard either sometimes.

I don't get what Paton sees in Bridgewater as someone competing for a starting QB position. He was with Minnesota when they drafted him, watched him fail and let him go.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.
    Unfortunately, Drew Lock is the reason Teddy is getting a legit shot at the #1 position.

Leave a comment:

• Capt. Jack
    replied
    TB would be a good backup for the Broncos.
    His stats are slightly better than Drew Lock.

TB
    QBR. 89.5
    COMP. % 66.5
    TD/INT. 53/36

DL
    QBR. 79.1
    COMP. % 59.1
    TD/INT. 23/18
    ​​​

Leave a comment:

• sra84
    replied

Last edited by sra84; 07-27-2021, 12:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Capt. Jack
    replied
    I don't think it's fair to call Teddy Bridgewater a "dirt ball" he actually does a lot of stuff for the kids.
    I have heard he's a high-quality character.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post

Teddy was given a shot in Minn and in NO and in Carolina how many more shots do you need to understand that Teddy is just not a good a QB? At this point I would take Brett Rypien ( Rippin ) over Teddy ( Dirtball Bridgeunderwater ). Teddy can not win you any games what so ever and Honestly I am dissapointed in our NEW GM he had one job to get right this year and he goes a sign Teddy unreal. I hope Teddy rides the pine this Year then moves on to another Team just not in Denver please.
    I am not saying he is a guaranteed starter. I just think that if Drew does not progress, we may still have a playoff shot with Teddy. He served New Orleans extremely well, and was ok on Carolina, with a rate of 92.1. Will he wow us? I doubt it. But I see him as much needed short term insurance, if Drew falters. Because if Lock is not the guy, this season may not be lost. However, if Drew falters, we will be searching hard for a new QB next offseason.

Leave a comment:

• DENVERSB50CHAMP
    replied
    Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    I hope Teddy gets a real shot to win the job. My smallish concern has been that Drew, drafted in round 2, will be given much more room for error, because some organizations do not want their higher draft picks to appear undeserving of the job. That they misfired. That's ok to a point. But because it's your #1 position player, you are wise to groom and develop as much as possible, without wasting years once you realize the player is not starter material. It can be a fine line early on, even in year 3, but I would suggest that 3 years is a reasonable trial period. This is the year for me.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    I hope Teddy gets a real shot to win the job. My smallish concern has been that Drew, drafted in round 2, will be given much more room for error, because some organizations do not want their higher draft picks to appear undeserving of the job. That they misfired. That's ok to a point. But because it's your #1 position player, you are wise to groom and develop as much as possible, without wasting years once you realize the player is not starter material. It can be a fine line early on, even in year 3, but I would suggest that 3 years is a reasonable trial period. This is the year for me.

Leave a comment:

• lvbronx
    replied
    I think of TB in poker terms and he would be a purely math player. Math players are good players and the champs need to have strong math skills too. But purely math players are the easiest of all players to read because they only be in hands that are mathematciallyt correct. Champs strategically vary from the math and use a variety of reads and tells to add some deception.

For TB, it's pretty well accepted that he "takes what the defense gives him". This means a smart D should know where TB is going to throw the ball before it's even snapped. TB is going to throw to the weakest part of the coverage. So a D lets him make those throws and anticipates where he'll go and react much quicker. He'll complete the pass but the defenders are on their way. TB need to sometimes go where he "shouldn't" just so the D can't get such a good read on him. In some situations, he just needs to chuck it down field even if it isn't what the D gives him.

BTW, I feel Lock is an "animal" which is a player that likes the "action" and will take risks he shouldn't just for the thrill.

Leave a comment:

• Capt. Jack
    replied
    Originally posted by Hadez View Post

I would just add...that was available.

I could argue between Teddy and Tyrod Taylor but who knows if Taylor was even available to us.

All things considered....32 teams competing for players and all...I think Teddy is best back up we have had since 2015....maybe longer.
    I Agree!!!!

Some of TB's career stats are better than Drew Locks.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    I think TB is a perfect backup for Drew Lock.
    I would just add...that was available.

I could argue between Teddy and Tyrod Taylor but who knows if Taylor was even available to us.

All things considered....32 teams competing for players and all...I think Teddy is best back up we have had since 2015....maybe longer.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X