No announcement yet.

Teddy Bridgewater thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things I like about Teddy Bridgewater - high completion percentage (66.5% for his career), good yards per attempt (7.3 YPA for his career), has never thrown more INTs than TDs, His best season was 11-5 with the Vikings before his injury, he was selected to the pro bowl that year. That season the Vikings had a stout defense that allowed less than 20 points per games and a strong running game lead by Adrian Peterson. They did have the 31st ranked offense based on yards per game. Sounds similar to the direction the Broncos are going.

What I don't like about Teddy Bridgewater, lack of passing TDs, he has a really low number of TDs in his career even when he has started most of the games. This also relates to a lack of dynamic plays.

I also don't believe the Broncos are "talking out of both sides of their mouth" as some are saying. The Broncos like Drew Lock but said he has to get better, they also said they were bringing in competition which they have done. Competition to me means there is no clear No.1 starter. Bridgewater is the perfect competition for Lock - he is better than Darnold, Wentz, Foles, etc. but not a clear starter like Stafford would be. I would have liked Winston but I think the turnovers problem was too much for Fangio.

I think adding Bridgewater makes the Broncos 8-8 or better because either Lock is going to start and be really good or Bridgewater is going to start and win a few more games than he loses.

He is not a long term answer (only on a one year contract anyway) but gives you protection if Lock is a bust.
    Last edited by Bad_Bubba; 05-07-2021, 11:38 AM.

Comment

I do not think Teddy is a win the game or carry the team kind of guy that everyone wants but tbh there are maybe half of dozen of those kinds of QB in the NFL at any given time. Some QBs are maybe that kind player one year but not that kind of player another year.

From what I have seen most posters are under estimating Teddy imo
      Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by sra84 View Post

First, Tom Brady, himself, skews that list drastically. He's the extremely rare exception.

Second, you can't compare the league today compared to twenty years ago before the rules changes made to favor offense.

Third, you really want to continue banking on a second to seventh round QB to become a franchise QB? Osweiler? Siemien? Dysert?

Tebow should not have been a first round pick. We all know that.

Cutler, while he never panned out, was obviously, the best of a bad bunch and he was a first round pick.

The first round gives you the best chance of finding your franchise QB.

You cannot continue to hope a Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers becomes available.
        Sorry but your arguments are incoherant, and not based on any verifiable logic.

The 6th round QB that won 20 years ago is the same 6th round QB that won last your so you cannot get a more apples to apples comparison of what it takes to win the SB today and 20 years ago.
        You can project great success by using a top ten pick on a QB, but that pick #9 is worth the draft capital that it would take to draft 130 QBs where Brady was taken, 6+ where Russell Wilson was taken....

#1 picks have won 4 (Eli and Peyton Manning) and Mahomes is the only top 2-10 pick to win in the last 2 decades and later 1st round picks have won 4 with Rodgers, Rothlisberger and Flacco.

Back to the verifiable logic it is funny to talk about Cutler being good and Tebow not being worth his draft position when you look at the results they created in Denver. Cutler took a team that before he started (2005/2006) had gone 20-7 (74% win rate) into a team that in 2006/07 went 9-12 (42% win rate), whereas Tebow took over a team that had gone 4-14 (22%) and went 8-6 (57% and a playoff win). I have to say that I hope that our QB is more Tebow than Cutler!

The failure rate for 1st round QBs is high, and there is a reason that other positions are drafted high as well.

Comment

My hopes were that 1) we'd be in a competition to acquire Deshaun Watson, when it was all about a player who wanted out, and one that could be a star for another 5-10 seasons. That is franchise country. When his situation was revealed, it was time to look away, until the smoke had cleared, and justice served. Then 2) when I heard Rodgers might want out, he became my #1 hope. Given he is not only a great QB, but even at his age, was the MVP. And knowing Rodgers, he seems to get motivated even more so whenever folks doubt him, and tick him off. And also knowing Rodgers, he could seriously help us win a SB in year one, maybe more.

Not to offend Lock or Teddy, but everyone, even my dog, saw what happened in Tampa Bay. And if you recall, pre Brady, Tampa was not expected to win any titles soon.

But here we are, maybe on hold with respect to Rodgers, possibly even Watson....if he is innocent to a very high degree. It appears that things may get settled, based on the little info I have, but that of course does not equate to innocence, or a high level thereof. Need to know the details before I am even interested again. Odds are not great IMO, but then again, we know nothing at this point.

So I digress far off the road to get back to the main highway. I have always liked Teddy. He was a really talented young QB with so much promise prior to his awful injury. But he never gave up, and I was exceptionally impressed with his effort when Brees got injured. And in his last 2 seasons his rates were 99.1 and 92.1, which are above average. So he could start or step in anytime and win you a game. Not as dynamic a player as he once was, but still pretty darn good.

So even though I, like others, prefer Rodgers as the guy, or maybe someone else, if nothing else we have some assurances with Teddy on our roster. So as of today, in the world of reality not "maybe", I am glad we have Teddy Bridgewater on board. And I hope he stays healthy, and plays for as long as he wants.
          Last edited by CanDB; 05-08-2021, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post

The 6th round QB that won 20 years ago is the same 6th round QB that won last your so you cannot get a more apples to apples comparison of what it takes to win the SB today and 20 years ago.
            You can project great success by using a top ten pick on a QB, but that pick #9 is worth the draft capital that it would take to draft 130 QBs where Brady was taken, 6+ where Russell Wilson was taken....

#1 picks have won 4 (Eli and Peyton Manning) and Mahomes is the only top 2-10 pick to win in the last 2 decades and later 1st round picks have won 4 with Rodgers, Rothlisberger and Flacco.

Back to the verifiable logic it is funny to talk about Cutler being good and Tebow not being worth his draft position when you look at the results they created in Denver. Cutler took a team that before he started (2005/2006) had gone 20-7 (74% win rate) into a team that in 2006/07 went 9-12 (42% win rate), whereas Tebow took over a team that had gone 4-14 (22%) and went 8-6 (57% and a playoff win). I have to say that I hope that our QB is more Tebow than Cutler!

The failure rate for 1st round QBs is high, and there is a reason that other positions are drafted high as well.
            No my logic is not flawed. Look at the starting QBs today. Most are first round picks. And Brees (yes, I know he's retired, but his name is relevant because he's played until now) and Russell Wilson would have been first round picks if they were taller.

How many 6 round pick QB's have had the kind of success as other higher drafted QB's in the Super Bowl era?

AND the reference to Cutler was about how he's been the best amongst the QB's we've drafted. And do you honestly believe Tebow is a better QB than Cutler? He's a gimmick that was figured out and when he had to throw, he was worthless. Cutler got the Bears to the NFC championship game in 2010.

You wanna keep banking on finding a franchise QB outside of the first round? Fine, I hope you enjoy the garbage we've seen year after year.

And yes, Brady does skew your logic...big time.

And let's not forget the luck/scandals Brady's championships have included. Spygate/Deflate gate/The Tuck Rule game/Falcons choking/Seahawks throwing on the goal line/ Vinatieri kicking game winners in the first two/Patriots defense holding the Rams to 3 points in Super Bowl 53.... he's had a lot of breaks go his way.

So tell me, what's your answer for QB? And forget about Lock, the Broncos don't believe in him.... that's why Bridgewater is going to get half of the reps.
            Last edited by sra84; 05-08-2021, 01:13 PM.

Comment

No my logic is not flawed. Look at the starting QBs today. Most are first round picks. And Brees (yes, I know he's retired, but his name is relevant because he's played until now) and Russell Wilson would have been first round picks if they were taller.

How many 6 round pick QB's have had the kind of success as other higher drafted QB's in the Super Bowl era?

AND the reference to Cutler was about how he's been the best amongst the QB's we've drafted. And do you honestly believe Tebow is a better QB than Cutler? He's a gimmick that was figured out and when he had to throw, he was worthless. Cutler got the Bears to the NFC championship game in 2010.

You wanna keep banking on finding a franchise QB outside of the first round? Fine, I hope you enjoy the garbage we've seen year after year.

And yes, Brady does skew your logic...big time.

And let's not forget the luck/scandals Brady's championships have included. Spygate/Deflate gate/The Tuck Rule game/Falcons choking/Seahawks throwing on the goal line/ Vinatieri kicking game winners in the first two/Patriots defense holding the Rams to 3 points in Super Bowl 53.... he's had a lot of breaks go his way.

So tell me, what's your answer for QB? And forget about Lock, the Broncos don't believe in him.... that's why Bridgewater is going to get half of the reps.
              Don't forget John Kasay kicking the ball out of bounds, which is one of the most inexplicable plays in SB history.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post

How can you have verifiable logic? One person's logic differs from another....it's opinion driven

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
                  Teddy is a vet who’s started 50 games, been on multiple different teams, and has even been in Shurmur’s offense. He’s easily going to outplay Lock in camp, he’ll step right in like a vet QB and run the offense.

We’ve been down this road before, the camp hero’s like Orton, Keenun, Flacco..... We’re stuck in some kind of bizarre time loop.
                  Here's the thing; if Lock hasn't improved from last year then he's not the answer and it's time to get rid of him as the starter. Bridgewater should play better than Lock did last year.So either Lock has improved and he can be our guy or he hasn't and Bridgewater takes the job, and becomes that bridge QB to the next one. Either way our QB situation is better than it was last year.
                  Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

Look, if anyone wants to hinge their bets on finding a franchise QB outside of the first round, in today's NFL, with the way the college game is played, be my guest.

Yeah, first round QB's bust... but the odds of hitting on one are much better in the first round.

1st round QB's:

Rodgers
                    Mahomes
                    Roethlisberger
                    Herbert
                    Burrow
                    Allen
                    Jackson
                    Murray
                    Watson
                    Ryan
                    ​​​​​Stafford
                    Tannehill
                    Wentz
                    Winston
                    Newton/Jones
                    Darnold
                    Mayfield
                    Tua
                    Z. Wilson
                    D. Jones
                    Lawrence
                    Goff

Non 1st round QB's:

Brady (the extreme exception)
                    Carr
                    Lock
                    Fitzpatrick
                    Hurts
                    Prescott
                    R. Wilson ( height was why he wasn't drafted in the first round)
                    Jimmy G. ( SF drafted a QB in the first round)
                    Cousins
                    Dalton (CHI drafted a QB in the first round)

Again, better chance of finding a franchise QB in the first round.

Case closed. I'm done.

Comment

Look, if anyone wants to hinge their bets on finding a franchise QB outside of the first round, in today's NFL, with the way the college game is played, be my guest.

Yeah, first round QB's bust... but the odds of hitting on one are much better in the first round.

1st round QB's:

Rodgers
                      Mahomes
                      Roethlisberger
                      Herbert
                      Burrow
                      Allen
                      Jackson
                      Murray
                      Watson
                      Ryan
                      ​​​​​Stafford
                      Tannehill
                      Wentz
                      Winston
                      Newton/Jones
                      Darnold
                      Mayfield
                      Tua
                      Z. Wilson
                      D. Jones
                      Lawrence
                      Goff

Non 1st round QB's:

Carr
                      Lock
                      Fitzpatrick
                      Hurts
                      Prescott
                      Cousins

Case closed. I'm done.
                      Goodness, I hadn't appreciated the difference was as stark as that!

Comment

1st round QB's:

Rodgers
                        Mahomes
                        Roethlisberger
                        Herbert
                        Burrow
                        Allen
                        Jackson
                        Murray
                        Watson
                        Ryan
                        ​​​​​Stafford
                        Tannehill
                        Wentz
                        Winston
                        Newton/Jones
                        Darnold
                        Mayfield
                        Tua
                        Z. Wilson
                        D. Jones
                        Lawrence
                        Goff

Non 1st round QB's:

Carr
                        Lock
                        Fitzpatrick
                        Hurts
                        Prescott
                        Cousins

Case closed. I'm done.
                        are you just listing starting QBs. Also Watson on that list is kinda Sketchy, from the looks of it he probably wont be starting next season in the nfl. so you could put Taylor in which would be aNon ifrst round QB. Also i am not convinced Winston is the starting for NO, Why would Payton start Hill when Brees was injuried last year, but make Windston his starting QB. right now i figure Hill would be higher then DC then Winston like it was last season.

Also just cause some one is starting does not mean they are a Franchise QB.
                        sigpic
                        oakland raders gm
                        latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post

are you just listing starting QBs. Also Watson on that list is kinda Sketchy, from the looks of it he probably wont be starting next season in the nfl. so you could put Taylor in which would be aNon ifrst round QB. Also i am not convinced Winston is the starting for NO, Why would Payton start Hill when Brees was injuried last year, but make Windston his starting QB. right now i figure Hill would be higher then DC then Winston like it was last season.

Also just cause some one is starting does not mean they are a Franchise QB.
                          There are a few analysts who believe Winston will start. Watson belongs on the list for now.

The bottom line is, the most likely round in which a franchise quarterback will be found is the first round.
                          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                          You Mad Bro?
                          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Nick Foles has as many or more SB wins than everyone on this list except Big Ben.

Rodgers
                            Mahomes
                            Roethlisberger
                            Herbert
                            Burrow
                            Allen
                            Jackson
                            Murray
                            Watson
                            Ryan
                            ​​​​​Stafford
                            Tannehill
                            Wentz
                            Winston
                            Newton/Jones
                            Darnold
                            Mayfield
                            Tua
                            Z. Wilson
                            D. Jones
                            Lawrence
                            Goff
                            Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post

There are a few analysts who believe Winston will start. Watson belongs on the list for now.

The bottom line is, the most likely round in which a franchise quarterback will be found is the first round.
                              Why cause he is in a legal battle and all signs point to him not starting.

I could care less what Analysts say. It is what Peyton wants. And he seems to have a man crush on Taysom Hill. Plus he started Hill when he had the Choice last year. Analysts thought that Winston should have started when Brees went down last year, but Hill still got the starts.
                              Last edited by Kyousukeneko; 05-09-2021, 06:11 AM.
                              sigpic
                              oakland raders gm
                              latavis murray trade bait

Comment

I think we are kinda lucky to have Teddy Bridgewater.
                                He is a talented QB and even a better person.

Comment

Working...
                                X