Teddy Bridgewater thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post

Why cause he is in a legal battle and all signs point to him not starting.

I could care less what Analysts say. It is what Peyton wants. And he seems to have a man crush on Taysom Hill. Plus he started Hill when he had the Choice last year.
    There are reports that the Saints tried to to trade up to get Mac Jones.

Winston is closer to Mac Jones than Taysom Hill is.
    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
    You Mad Bro?
    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post

There are reports that the Saints tried to to trade up to get Mac Jones.

Winston is closer to Mac Jones than Taysom Hill is.
      People felt Winston should start last year when Brees got injuried and Hill still got the start. to pencil in Winston as the starter seems to just be trying to push a narrative that we need to draft a QB in the first round, but really like i think there's a chance either could start i would still have Hill the favorite cause Peyton seemed to him Last year
      sigpic
      oakland raders gm
      latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by sra84 View Post
        Look, if anyone wants to hinge their bets on finding a franchise QB outside of the first round, in today's NFL, with the way the college game is played, be my guest.

Yeah, first round QB's bust... but the odds of hitting on one are much better in the first round.

1st round QB's:

Rodgers
        Mahomes
        Roethlisberger
        Herbert
        Burrow
        Allen
        Jackson
        Murray
        Watson
        Ryan
        ​​​​​Stafford
        Tannehill
        Wentz
        Winston
        Newton/J
        ones
        Darnold
        Mayfield
        Tua
        Z. Wilson
        D. Jones
        Lawrence
        Goff

Non 1st round QB's:

Brady (the extreme exception)
        Carr
        Lock
        Fitzpatrick
        Hurts
        Prescott
        R. Wilson ( height was why he wasn't drafted in the first round)
        Jimmy G. ( SF drafted a QB in the first round)
        Cousins
        Dalton (CHI drafted a QB in the first round)

Again, better chance of finding a franchise QB in the first round.

Case closed. I'm done.
        You may be done but the case is far from closed. While the QBs listed above are first round picks, I've bolded the QBs that are no longer playing for the team that drafted them in the first round. I put Rodgers and Watson in red because they may (or may not) be traded. Simply listing them as first round picks without mentioning many of them are now playing for different teams in incomplete at best.

No one is denying that first round QBs have a higher chance of success. They are also more damaging than other positions when they bust.

Bridgewater has a decent chance of starting so if he starts we have our first round QB starter...problem solved.

I also don't accept that "starting" should be the qualification for success since just about every first round QB will be given the job at some point. Here's another list, this one is for Super Bowl starting QBs since 2000. QBs that were NOT drafted in the first round by the team they played for in the Super Bowl in bold.

Trent Dilfer
        Kerry Collins

Tom Brady
        Kurt Warner

Brad Johnson
        Rich Gannon

Tom Brady
        Jake Delhomme

Tom Brady
        Donovan McNabb

Ben Roethlisberger
        Matt Hasselbeck

Peyton Manning
        Rex Grossman

Eli Manning
        Tom Brady

Ben Roethlisberger
        Kurt Warner

Drew Brees
        Peyton Manning

Aaron Rodgers
        Ben Roethlisberger

Eli Manning
        Tom Brady

Joe Flacco
        Colin Kaepernick

Russell Wilson
        Peyton Manning

Tom Brady
        Russell Wilson

Peyton Manning

Cam Newton

Tom Brady
        Matt Ryan

Nick Foles
        Tom Brady

Tom Brady

Jared Goff

Patrick Mahomes
        Jimmy Garoppolo

Tom Brady
        Patrick Mahomes

If I can count correctly, this list has 16 starts by QBs drafted in the first round by the team they played for and 24 QB starts that were acquired in another way. Even if you believe Brady scews the numbers and he is taken completely out, it's still 50/50. With Brady it's only 40% first round picks by their team.

Comment

Originally posted by sra84 View Post

No my logic is not flawed. Look at the starting QBs today. Most are first round picks. And Brees (yes, I know he's retired, but his name is relevant because he's played until now) and Russell Wilson would have been first round picks if they were taller.

How many 6 round pick QB's have had the kind of success as other higher drafted QB's in the Super Bowl era?

AND the reference to Cutler was about how he's been the best amongst the QB's we've drafted. And do you honestly believe Tebow is a better QB than Cutler? He's a gimmick that was figured out and when he had to throw, he was worthless. Cutler got the Bears to the NFC championship game in 2010.

You wanna keep banking on finding a franchise QB outside of the first round? Fine, I hope you enjoy the garbage we've seen year after year.

And yes, Brady does skew your logic...big time.

And let's not forget the luck/scandals Brady's championships have included. Spygate/Deflate gate/The Tuck Rule game/Falcons choking/Seahawks throwing on the goal line/ Vinatieri kicking game winners in the first two/Patriots defense holding the Rams to 3 points in Super Bowl 53.... he's had a lot of breaks go his way.

So tell me, what's your answer for QB? And forget about Lock, the Broncos don't believe in him.... that's why Bridgewater is going to get half of the reps.
          If you want to make an argument that 6th round picks don't pan out like Tom Brady, then that holds true for first round draft picks as well - even #1 picks as well.
          Since 1999 Browns have drafted 5 QBs in the first round - How is that for an example over 22 years?

First round picks have teams more invested and that is one of the reasons that they get more chances to show that they cannot play. Another aspect is that every QB taken at the top of the first round has few obvious flaws and the ones taken later have things like RW's height etc. If you care about winning the SB then it is about the team and not only the QB.

If you don't draft #1 overall then it very much becomes a crap shoot, and it is more about scouting to find a Brett Favre/Drew Brees/Steve Young/Joe Montana type player outside the 1st round.

On Tebow/Cutler - Yes Tebow was a vastly superiour player for the Broncos as evidenced in their impacts on the team, the team situation before, while and after they were the starting QB. No doubt that Cutler threw pretty passes, but he could not string victories together, and his first 2 seasons were full of things to be very concerned with. There is a HUGE difference between leading the then worst team in football on a winning spree and taking one of the best teams in football and turning them to loosers.

Comment

I was kind of hoping after the draft this "draft a qb in rd 1" argument would stop finding its way into every thread.
            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
              I was kind of hoping after the draft this "draft a qb in rd 1" argument would stop finding its way into every thread.
              It won't stop until they actually use one of these top 10 pics on a QB

Comment

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post

It won't stop until they actually use one of these top 10 pics on a QB
                OR a QB we get shows up as and proves he is an above average to good starter maybe even better.
                sigpic
                oakland raders gm
                latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post

OR a QB we get shows up as and proves he is an above average to good starter maybe even better.
                  Yeah....or that

Comment

Great breakdown by Tim Jenkins on Bridgewater in Denver here. I somehow missed it when it first came out.
                    2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
                    Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

Comment

TB was a first round draft pick, Rookie of the Year, and in a Pro Bowl his first two seasons before he got hurt, and he's only 28 years old.

(Not too shabby)

Comment

There was an article I was reading today saying, "Teddy Bridgewater can take the team to the next level".

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
                          There was an article I was reading today saying, "Teddy Bridgewater can take the team to the next level".
                          Yea the next level of losing.

Comment

Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post

Yea the next level of losing.
                            I was thinking maybe getting six or seven wins would be the next level?

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post

I was thinking maybe getting six or seven wins would be the next level?
                              Nope LOL Next Level Going Down

Comment

I get that Drew Lock clearly has more upside and he does. The team’s offensive potential is greater at Lock’s ceiling. But 2020 showed what it looks like now (until further improvement) or at his worst.

Count me in as one of the people who were slightly underwhelmed when we traded for Bridgewater, especially since I had been a huge advocate for drafting Justin Fields all offseason.

But here is the thing with Teddy and why a “dink-and-dunk”, conservative offensive style isn’t such a bad thing after all. How many times did offensive drives flame out really early in the first half of games, allowing the opposing team to score and beat down/tire out our defense? The first game against KC and the ATL game were classic examples of this. Imagine if we had a passer who could simply execute Shurmur’s plays and sustain possessions? For once, I would love the offense to move the sticks consistently and march into the redzone. Occasional big plays of 20+ yards are nice, but I don’t mind steady 5-10 yard gains either. I want our starting QB to take care of the football and make smart decisions. Just cutting down on turnovers alone would take our offense to the next level.
                                2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
                                Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

Comment

Working...
                                X