The Munchak Effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Munchak Effect

I believe Munchak has more influence that it may appear. Muti, Risner and Meinerz fit a mold of being big, strong, mean and aggressive. Bolles is too but he came before the others and wasn't drafted while Munchak was here. Even though he's listed as a G, you have to wonder if drafting Meinerz isn't to push Cush at center. An interior line of Risner, Meinerz and Muti is downright scary and not quite like the OLs Bronco fans have seen in the past.

Taking a look at RB, we signed Gorden when we had Lindsay. We let Lindsay go and draft a STRONG RB in Williams. Williams is being compared to Nick Chubb and TD.

The front office, including Paton and Fangio, seem to be building an offense that resembles the Browns and Titans that is built to run the ball to set up the pass and less dependent on QB. This is also the type of teams the Steelers had with Munchak when he was there.

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
    Even though he's listed as a G, you have to wonder if drafting Meinerz isn't to push Cush at center. An interior line of Risner, Meinerz and Muti is downright scary and not quite like the OLs Bronco fans have seen in the past.
    Fangio said in the press conference after day 2 that Munchak sees Meinerz as a C.

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
      I believe Munchak has more influence that it may appear. Muti, Risner and Meinerz fit a mold of being big, strong, mean and aggressive. Bolles is too but he came before the others and wasn't drafted while Munchak was here. Even though he's listed as a G, you have to wonder if drafting Meinerz isn't to push Cush at center. An interior line of Risner, Meinerz and Muti is downright scary and not quite like the OLs Bronco fans have seen in the past.

Taking a look at RB, we signed Gorden when we had Lindsay. We let Lindsay go and draft a STRONG RB in Williams. Williams is being compared to Nick Chubb and TD.

The front office, including Paton and Fangio, seem to be building an offense that resembles the Browns and Titans that is built to run the ball to set up the pass and less dependent on QB. This is also the type of teams the Steelers had with Munchak when he was there.
      Even though 21 personnel formations weren't used that much last year, the O-Line did a lot of down blocking and pulling. Angle blocked run plays tend to challenge the toughness of a defensive front where zone steps tend to challenge their conditioning. It will be interesting to see what the 2021 rushing attack will look like.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Looking forward to this season, we may have an Offense that can take some of the pressure off the Defense. And the Defense, It will give us back that home field advantage. Go Broncos.

Comment

Saw a couple interesting things about the OL. Was actually looking up drop pass stats to comment about it in the QB threads but found this.

We had one of the best Average Pocket Time in the NFL. Technically tied for 1st with with 5 other teams but I am guessing going beyond the 1st decimal place takes us to 6th best...still pretty good. Think this pans out to the middle of the pack sacks allowed stat.

The interesting part is the pressure. 3rd most hurries, 6th most QB hits, 6th worst pressure percentage.

Part of this is something we saw with our eye...protection was much better than what we have seen. At times just about everyone on the OL except Bolles had bad games and when they did they gave up a lot of pressure.

Think part of it is QB holding onto the ball too long. Still not sure how much of that is on coaching as I have seen multiple reports that both the OC and HC were trying to focus on the deep ball. We were 6th in intended air yards (complete or incomplete) and tied for 1st in intended air yards per attempt.

Summary is I definitely think Munchak is turning this team around. We have some work to do and imo the coaching needs to balance out the attack between short, medium and deep passing game.
          Last edited by Hadez; 05-02-2021, 04:07 PM.
          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
            Saw a couple interesting things about the OL. Was actually looking up drop pass stats to comment about it in the QB threads but found this.

We had one of the best Average Pocket Time in the NFL. Technically tied for 1st with with 5 other teams but I am guessing going beyond the 1st decimal place takes us to 6th best...still pretty good. Think this pans out to the middle of the pack sacks allowed stat.

The interesting part is the pressure. 3rd most hurries, 6th most QB hits, 6th worst pressure percentage.

Part of this is something we saw with our eye...protection was much better than what we have seen. At times just about everyone on the OL except Bolles had bad games and when they did they gave up a lot of pressure.

Think part of it is QB holding onto the ball too long. Still not sure how much of that is on coaching as I have seen multiple reports that both the OC and HC were trying to focus on the deep ball. We were 6th in intended air yards (complete or incomplete) and tied for 1st in intended air yards per attempt.

Summary is I definitely think Munchak is turning this team around. We have some work to do and imo the coaching needs to balance out the attack between short, medium and deep passing game.
            Wonder what the breakdown is compared to when Wilkerson was starting and when he was out.
            Eternal Broncos Optimist

Comment

Originally posted by Megalodon30 View Post

Wonder what the breakdown is compared to when Wilkerson was starting and when he was out.
              If only I had more time. Do not have the time to do it on my own. I am certain Wilk has horrible starts related to when he plays when looked at over time. To get a better picture I would need to put more into it than just a basic QB rating when he is in the game.

A good poster brought it to my attention Cush had a really bad game last year when I was focused on Wilk having a rough time. Both our guards also had tough games last year. Bolles was really the only solid spot in our OL last year which by some stats looked to be better than previous years.

If James can come in and play most...or maybe even all of the snaps in 2021 there is a legit chance our OL becomes a strength. They just need to figure out some consistency issues. I personally think that is impossible with a player like Wilks in the game.
              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

I would like to see how this group does together, if you are looking for mean and nasty, this could be it. Believe Muti was a LG and Risner a RT coming out of college. May lack a little athleticism, but power plus nastiness can go a long way.

LT Bolles
                LG Muti
                C Meinerz
                RG Glasgow
                RT Risner
                Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
                  I would like to see how this group does together, if you are looking for mean and nasty, this could be it. Believe Muti was a LG and Risner a RT coming out of college. May lack a little athleticism, but power plus nastiness can go a long way.

LT Bolles
                  LG Muti
                  C Meinerz
                  RG Glasgow
                  RT Risner
                  In March of 2013, Risner committed to Kansas State, where he would have an illustrious college career. The list of awards that the offensive lineman accumulated as a Wildcat is extensive.

Risner started all 50 games he played in his five-year career at Kansas State, 38 at right tackle and the other 12 at center. In 2015, his redshirt freshman season, he started every game at center and was chosen as a Freshman All-American by publications such as Campus Insiders, Athlon and Scout.

From 2016-18, Risner moved to right tackle and was named first-team All-Big 12 three seasons in a row, the fourth offensive lineman in Big 12 Conference history to do so. His best season came in his senior year, during which the conference’s coaches voted him Big 12 Offensive Lineman of the Year and numerous publications named him first and second team All-American. Risner also had the distinct honor of being just one of five three-year team captains in Kansas State history, a testament to his leadership ability.

https://milehighsports.com/player-pr...rm-to-the-nfl/
                  Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

LT Bolles
                    LG Muti
                    C Meinerz
                    RG Glasgow
                    RT Risner
                    I'd love to see that OL start the season.

Kansas City seems to have an overload of OLmen
                    as Denver has CBs, perhaps Callahan can be traded for OL help?

Comment

Munchak has definitely had a great impact. The work with Bolles speaks for itself, but what gets me excited about the season is the confidence they appear to have in James. I think we will see the RT that we hoped to see two years ago.....and if we do James will be one of the biggest "additions" this off-season.

Comment

LT Bolles
                        LG Muti
                        C Meinerz
                        RG Glasgow
                        RT Risner
                        Like Muti in there. Also not sure what Cush is going to do but whoever ends up being the back up C needs to play guard based on recent coaches interview.

Vic said Risner is viewed as a emergency OT recently. It was even brought up in the question how Risner's experience at OT.

Based on what we saw in 2020 I think by emergency that means if everyone else is hurt. Kind of like how a WR can play QB. It can happen but only after all other options have been exhausted.

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post

Like Muti in there. Also not sure what Cush is going to do but whoever ends up being the back up C needs to play guard based on recent coaches interview.

Vic said Risner is viewed as a emergency OT recently. It was even brought up in the question how Risner's experience at OT.

Based on what we saw in 2020 I think by emergency that means if everyone else is hurt. Kind of like how a WR can play QB. It can happen but only after all other options have been exhausted.
                          Shuffling depends on when it happens, during a game or during the week of practice before a game. O-Line coaches like to shuffle their guys at practice to inform decisions if one of the starting five can't go. They usually know who their sixth guy is. They want to know how many spots starters and backups can play so that number six comes in at his best place.

Seven O-Linemen are active on game day, Swing Tackle and an inside guy. Denver currently has thirteen O-Linemen. If TC practice anticipates first, second, third team offense, they will need two more Tackles. If they are concerned about the depth at T, they could sign an UFA Tackle like Ricky Wagner or Alejandro Villanueva, for example.

I'd be surprised if Mike Munchak didn't tell Lloyd Cushenberry to set up a cot in the weight room during the offseason and lift, lift, lift. Inclined to think he has been busy. Would love to observe O-Line practice at TC this year.

Only nine of the current group seem likely to make the roster barring unforeseen circumstances: Garrett Bolles; Dalton Risner; Lloyd Cushenberry; Graham Glasgow; Ja'Wuan James; Calvin Anderson; Netane Muti; Quinn Meinerz; and Austin Schlottmann. If a veteran Tackle is signed, Schlottmann may be out.

Who starts and who the backups are on game day will be interesting. Glasgow had sixteen starts at C in 2018. Dalton Risner played Center one year at K-State, if I'm not mistaken. You and others remind that Risner was All-BIG 12 Right Tackle and could play there, if needed. Muti is a Guard and has played both sides. Not too familiar with Meinerz, but he is being described as a C/G or G/C. Schlottmann is a good depth guy who can play any inside spot.

The Tackles aren't going anywhere and Anderson is Swing. The inside depth guy on game day will probably be number six in Munchak's line. Hope we don't need to find out, but if shuffling occurs during a game, it will be interesting.
                          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Who starts and who the backups are on game day will be interesting. Glasgow had sixteen starts at C in 2018. Dalton Risner played Center one year at K-State, if I'm not mistaken. You and others remind that Risner was All-BIG 12 Right Tackle and could play there, if needed. Muti is a Guard and has played both sides. Not too familiar with Meinerz, but he is being described as a C/G or G/C. Schlottmann is a good depth guy who can play any inside spot.

The Tackles aren't going anywhere and Anderson is Swing. The inside depth guy on game day will probably be number six in Munchak's line. Hope we don't need to find out, but if shuffling occurs during a game, it will be interesting.
                            I only knew about his senior bowl stuff until the last couple days. You know way more than me on just about everything football so it feels odd suggesting something but I feel I am doing you a favor by suggesting you look into this kid. From playing through injury, his raw work outs, teaching himself to play center....he really impresses me with his ability and desire to get it done with whatever he has available to him. It will be interesting to see what he does with Munchak and all the resources the Broncos make available to him.

That drive and resourcefulness was seen at the Senior Bowl and imo gives him a good chance at being an impact player in the NFL.
                            Last edited by Hadez; 05-04-2021, 08:54 PM.

Comment

LT Bolles
                              LG Muti
                              C Meinerz
                              RG Glasgow
                              RT Risner
                              I would rather this season get Juwan James and Cushenberry playing. With the price tags on James and Glasgow could see Muti take over at LG, Meinerz at RG and Risner at RT in 2022.

This season let’s go with this, see what we have in James, and if Cushenberry can improve.
                              LT Bolles / Anderson
                              LG Risner / Muti
                              C Cushenberry / Meinerz
                              RG Glasgow / Schlotman
                              RT James / Risner

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X