Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Lock or Bridgewater Start Opening Day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think Lock will improve and be our starter. Not to make up a bunch of excuses, but with covid and losing Sutton, that didn't help things. And having a rookie wide receiver to get used to didn't help either.
    I am thinking things are going to go better for Drew Lock this year.

Comment

• I am convinced Lock will improve, but I just wonder how much.

I was reflecting about his appearance on The Broncos' scene. Here's this guy that throws the ball a lot like Cutler (plenty of zip and sometimes when he shouldn't), and even looks a wee bit like him....but had the nicer personality and appeared to be a good guy. I still see some comparisons, especially the arm, and similar athleticism, even if not high level sort of running ability. Cutler was a decent QB at various times, and I truly believed he had a good future with The Broncos. Just like I felt about Lock after his rookie season.

But just like Cutler, Lock seems to use less than the best judgement at times. Too many pics.

Like I say, if Drew ends up with similar output as Cutler, but remains a good guy, I can see sticking with him. But I do expect growth to some degree.

And just as I mention that Drew seems like a way better person, I do want him to be more mature in some game situations. In his rookie year I loved the enthusiasm. I am just not one for little on the field goofing around, or what appears to be distracted behaviour during games. Maybe he's just a young man with a lot to be happy about, and loves to have fun in the process, but I do hope he manages that a little better. Maybe I'm just a bit old school.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        I am convinced Lock will improve, but I just wonder how much.

I was reflecting about his appearance on The Broncos' scene. Here's this guy that throws the ball a lot like Cutler (plenty of zip and sometimes when he shouldn't), and even looks a wee bit like him....but had the nicer personality and appeared to be a good guy. I still see some comparisons, especially the arm, and similar athleticism, even if not high level sort of running ability. Cutler was a decent QB at various times, and I truly believed he had a good future with The Broncos. Just like I felt about Lock after his rookie season.

But just like Cutler, Lock seems to use less than the best judgement at times. Too many pics.

Like I say, if Drew ends up with similar output as Cutler, but remains a good guy, I can see sticking with him. But I do expect growth to some degree.

And just as I mention that Drew seems like a way better person, I do want him to be more mature in some game situations. In his rookie year I loved the enthusiasm. I am just not one for little on the field goofing around, or what appears to be distracted behaviour during games. Maybe he's just a young man with a lot to be happy about, and loves to have fun in the process, but I do hope he manages that a little better. Maybe I'm just a bit old school.
        Listen ......just like Juedy.....we will see growth. Have faith......Peyton doesn't just spend time with someone for fun. We will split with the Chiefs this year. We will rout the Raiders this year. We will make the playoffs this year. There will be alot of talk about Lock this year. This defense and our running game will set us up for great play action and Drew will deliver. Have the faith.

Comment

• Originally posted by skeeter01 View Post

Listen ......just like Juedy.....we will see growth. Have faith......Peyton doesn't just spend time with someone for fun. We will split with the Chiefs this year. We will rout the Raiders this year. We will make the playoffs this year. There will be alot of talk about Lock this year. This defense and our running game will set us up for great play action and Drew will deliver. Have the faith.
          Like your optimism! I don't disagree too much, but things do happen, and sometimes it is unexpected. I guess I want to solidify whatever is not nailed down, because the more solid the situation, the more likely it will come to fruition.

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post

You seem to be searching for excuses. Every team, every QB has plays that could/should have worked and didn't. Over a year it evens out. The simple facts are that both Lock and TB were extremely poor at winning close games. Every single QB we have ever had can point to perfect throws that were not caught, bad routes....
            There is no need to invent excuses - it evens out over a season.
            The issue is that the football is not pretty and we are not winning. Our QBs need to step up!

stating a little opinion into your rant isnt looking for excuses, when your blaming the qb for losing close game , i. Just mentioned two games where the qb you blame for close losses was sitting on the bench after getting a lead wTching the defense lose the game

if you call that an excuse well i cant talk sense into you
            sigpic
            when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

• For me, there’s a difference between what I want to happen vs. what I think will happen.

I want Lock to improve, win the job, and be a legit starter for many years. That’s what is best for the organization. He has the talent, but he’ll have to show way more consistency to win the job.

However, my gut tells me the coaching staff would prefer the safe vet. In my opinion, Lock has an uphill battle to change their minds.

I’m guessing Bridgewater will be the opening day starter. Still a way to go before the season starts, but signs seem to be pointing towards Bridgewater being the starter.
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                I am convinced Lock will improve, but I just wonder how much.

The difference between Lock and Cutler is IMO Cutler never saw a window he didn’t think he could fit the ball through. I don’t think that that’s the logic for Lock, I believe it’s more along the lines of him thinking he can fit the ball in there and just not yet realizing how quickly windows close in the NFL. I think Cutler full on realized how fast windows close and believed he could throw it in there faster than it could. Similar, yes, but I think Lock does and is learning and correcting albeit at a much slower pace than we as fans would like to see.

As for the dancing and whatnot on the field, that’s just who he is. But I don’t think it detracts from anything because let’s be honest, we have a cast of goofy characters on this team. The face of our franchise for the past decade in Von Miller does the same thing. Only difference has been their career arc so Von gets a pass. But I do think our team feeds off that kind of goofy energy and when Lock isn’t out there doing that stuff they don’t play as well IMO especially Lock. It’s a very young team so leadership is going to look different than a team full of wily vets and while many may disagree with the antics, I think that’s Lock’s way of trying to calm himself and the rest of the team down.

Lock is a very emotional guy, and I think that’s going to be a huge factor in his development. He rides the highs and he swims in the lows so things have a tendency to spiral downward when something doesn’t work. I think his growth and development as a man rather than a football player is the key to unlocking his potential on the football field. With the work he’s put in during the offseason, I think we’ve seen him take a step in the right direction. The real test will come when he makes a mistake, how does he bounce back? He didn’t bounce back very well for much of last season and he was put in a position where he had the freedom to make mistakes. His rookie year the offense didn’t really give him much of an opportunity to make mistakes and many saw a young QB with a lot of potential. This year Pat needs to find a middle ground to keep him up regardless of how he’s bouncing back from mistakes. Give him some easy reads and completions, don’t force him to do everything at a high level. It’s ok to throw a slant or a swing route and let the skills guys do some work. I think Lock is good with the short game and while he has the arm to do anything you want, he’s still a ways off mentally so simplify the game and take the easy stuff to set up other things. Football is a game of chess and Shurmur seemed to be playing checkers and was just trying to get a king as fast as possible instead of setting moves up in advance.

Not to put all the blame on Shurmur because Lock definitely made his fair share of mistakes but Shurmur can’t just call the end game when his QB is still in the beginning. Sure Lock can do it, but he isn’t there yet. It may seem simplistic and predictable to run on first down every play but once you dial up that play action and hit it big you forget about all those short gains. Calling counter actions off of the same variations of plays is an area I think Shurmur really failed at last year and it hurt everyone on the offense. In the game against Carolina, Lock took the counter action with the deep post to Hamler for a TD, but that’s usually how the play was ran all season, Lock just saw the safety creep up on the deep in and took a shot. Now Shurmur can take that same concept and instead have Jeudy run a deep in and turn it into a go while Hamler sets up a post only to flatten the route into a deep in, put Fant on a mid curl to keep the LBs from drifting too far back and just pick whichever WR the safety doesn’t run with. The answer is Hamler, the safeties wouldn’t run with Hamler. One safety expects the post and the other would either bite hard on the double move (which may end up being open) or a plays off and reacts to the go portion of the route. With the LBs staying home on Fant and let’s put Sutton on a shallow cross just to make sure, Hamler would have a ton of room to run. It ends up being the exact same play Shurmur loves but the action is different and forces the defense to react differently. Hell even just flipping the post and the in routes would work if you set it up well enough. If it isn’t there, Lock has to know to check it down to Fant or Sutton or the RB out of the backfield and let them fight for yards. It’s small things like that, that can be the difference between an INT and a big gain.

Bottom line, Lock has to improve, but so does Shurmur. I think his end game concepts are very good, I just think he needs to do a better job of setting them up. If Shurmur takes that step, then I think we will see a drastic improvement in Lock’s game.

Comment

• Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
                  For me, there’s a difference between what I want to happen vs. what I think will happen.

I want Lock to improve, win the job, and be a legit starter for many years. That’s what is best for the organization. He has the talent, but he’ll have to show way more consistency to win the job.

However, my gut tells me the coaching staff would prefer the safe vet. In my opinion, Lock has an uphill battle to change their minds.

I’m guessing Bridgewater will be the opening day starter. Still a way to go before the season starts, but signs seem to be pointing towards Bridgewater being the starter.
                  Bridgewater starting would just show that Fangio is coaching to keep his job and not to win championships.

That’s not to say that Lock is ready to lead a team to a championship, but he has a better chance than Teddy.

Hopefully Lock can show enough improvement in ball security. That’s the most important thing for the Broncos right now. Run the ball, keep it safe, and make a play when necessary. The defense will do the rest.

In time, maybe Lock can develop into a dynamic quarterback that drives the team to success. That’s what’s needed to consistently compete for championships.
                  My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                  You Mad Bro?
                  Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

For me, there’s a difference between what I want to happen vs. what I think will happen.

In theory, it sounds good to go with the vet that doesn’t make many mistakes. I think the issue with Bridgewater though will be the fit. Lock threw a ton of deep passes last season, if that is what Shurmur wants the offense to be, the Lock has the advantage because he can make all the throws. But if Shurmur is comfortable shortening the offense, then Teddy might have a chance because he plays quicker mentally it offsets Lock’s arm advantage. However if you shorten the passing game to better fit Teddy, how much does that hurt the run game? Will Teddy be that much better with the short game than Lock that it offsets what we’d lose in the run game by not presenting the defense with a legitimate arm that can stretch them vertically? I think Lock is better with the short game than he is with the intermediate/vertical stuff anyway so that alone may unlock some of the potential that gets people excited about Lock. I personally believe this is Lock’s job to lose and Teddy is just insurance in case something goes very wrong or if/when? Lock gets injured.

Comment

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

The difference between Lock and Cutler is IMO Cutler never saw a window he didn’t think he could fit the ball through. I don’t think that that’s the logic for Lock, I believe it’s more along the lines of him thinking he can fit the ball in there and just not yet realizing how quickly windows close in the NFL. I think Cutler full on realized how fast windows close and believed he could throw it in there faster than it could. Similar, yes, but I think Lock does and is learning and correcting albeit at a much slower pace than we as fans would like to see.

As for the dancing and whatnot on the field, that’s just who he is. But I don’t think it detracts from anything because let’s be honest, we have a cast of goofy characters on this team. The face of our franchise for the past decade in Von Miller does the same thing. Only difference has been their career arc so Von gets a pass. But I do think our team feeds off that kind of goofy energy and when Lock isn’t out there doing that stuff they don’t play as well IMO especially Lock. It’s a very young team so leadership is going to look different than a team full of wily vets and while many may disagree with the antics, I think that’s Lock’s way of trying to calm himself and the rest of the team down.

Lock is a very emotional guy, and I think that’s going to be a huge factor in his development. He rides the highs and he swims in the lows so things have a tendency to spiral downward when something doesn’t work. I think his growth and development as a man rather than a football player is the key to unlocking his potential on the football field. With the work he’s put in during the offseason, I think we’ve seen him take a step in the right direction. The real test will come when he makes a mistake, how does he bounce back? He didn’t bounce back very well for much of last season and he was put in a position where he had the freedom to make mistakes. His rookie year the offense didn’t really give him much of an opportunity to make mistakes and many saw a young QB with a lot of potential. This year Pat needs to find a middle ground to keep him up regardless of how he’s bouncing back from mistakes. Give him some easy reads and completions, don’t force him to do everything at a high level. It’s ok to throw a slant or a swing route and let the skills guys do some work. I think Lock is good with the short game and while he has the arm to do anything you want, he’s still a ways off mentally so simplify the game and take the easy stuff to set up other things. Football is a game of chess and Shurmur seemed to be playing checkers and was just trying to get a king as fast as possible instead of setting moves up in advance.

Not to put all the blame on Shurmur because Lock definitely made his fair share of mistakes but Shurmur can’t just call the end game when his QB is still in the beginning. Sure Lock can do it, but he isn’t there yet. It may seem simplistic and predictable to run on first down every play but once you dial up that play action and hit it big you forget about all those short gains. Calling counter actions off of the same variations of plays is an area I think Shurmur really failed at last year and it hurt everyone on the offense. In the game against Carolina, Lock took the counter action with the deep post to Hamler for a TD, but that’s usually how the play was ran all season, Lock just saw the safety creep up on the deep in and took a shot. Now Shurmur can take that same concept and instead have Jeudy run a deep in and turn it into a go while Hamler sets up a post only to flatten the route into a deep in, put Fant on a mid curl to keep the LBs from drifting too far back and just pick whichever WR the safety doesn’t run with. The answer is Hamler, the safeties wouldn’t run with Hamler. One safety expects the post and the other would either bite hard on the double move (which may end up being open) or a plays off and reacts to the go portion of the route. With the LBs staying home on Fant and let’s put Sutton on a shallow cross just to make sure, Hamler would have a ton of room to run. It ends up being the exact same play Shurmur loves but the action is different and forces the defense to react differently. Hell even just flipping the post and the in routes would work if you set it up well enough. If it isn’t there, Lock has to know to check it down to Fant or Sutton or the RB out of the backfield and let them fight for yards. It’s small things like that, that can be the difference between an INT and a big gain.

Bottom line, Lock has to improve, but so does Shurmur. I think his end game concepts are very good, I just think he needs to do a better job of setting them up. If Shurmur takes that step, then I think we will see a drastic improvement in Lock’s game.
                      Good assessment. To be clear, I do not think Lock is acting overly immaturely, but I admit some disappointment when he did seem more his age, because I did not picture him that way. I saw a young man who wanted to prove everyone wrong who thought he was a 2nd rounder and not a first. It's ok to have some fun, for sure, but maybe it struck me as a different guy. Lets just say it appeared to me he was a bit over zealous in occasions where we were either losing or about to lose another game. I just over-estimated his sense of priority, and perhaps his overall maturity. But many will not see it this way, so hang it on me.

Yes, there's more to a young QB than himself. Much more, including the OC and teammates. I think you present some good offensive strategy, and hopefully the guys getting paid the big bucks are aligned in thinking, For me, there are no more excuses going into this season, for Drew or Pat. Unless we have a string of injuries, any QB or OC should be happy to have Sutton, Jeudy, Hamler, Gordon, Williams, Fant and the improving Oline...behind Bolles for one, who has quickly risen to All Pro! From my little perch, this is a top 10 O, if we get decent Qbacking. If we get good Qbacking, it can be closer to top 5. (hence my trade discussions)

In a previous post, I have commented on how we may need about 5 points a game to go from 5-11 to playoffs, based on last year's league stats. It may be off a little, given the other key factors - D/STs/Injuries. But on paper, and based on what many others are saying about the caliber of our roster, this is realistic. If not Drew, then Teddy. If not trade, one of these 2 gents.

Note....The Cutler comparison was not definitive, but I did see some similarities when they were young., in terms of zip in the arm, decent athleticism, similar size and even look. But no one can be Cutler, because he will tell you he had the better arm over Elway!
                      Last edited by CanDB; 06-22-2021, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by broncolee View Post

Bridgewater starting would just show that Fangio is coaching to keep his job and not to win championships.

That’s not to say that Lock is ready to lead a team to a championship, but he has a better chance than Teddy.

Hopefully Lock can show enough improvement in ball security. That’s the most important thing for the Broncos right now. Run the ball, keep it safe, and make a play when necessary. The defense will do the rest.

In time, maybe Lock can develop into a dynamic quarterback that drives the team to success. That’s what’s needed to consistently compete for championships.
                        Agree with your points. I actually think Vic’s motivation will be to coach for his job. Most old school coaches tend to favor vets. As far as Shurmur, it remains to be seen if he’s willing to shorten the game and run the ball. He did it for one game last year, it worked, then he went right back to pass at all cost.

To be totally honest, I don’t have a ton of confidence in this coaching staff anyway. Another reason why I hope Lock pulls it out. I’d rather have a young, promising QB for the next staff.

We’ll see how it turns out.
                        sigpic

Comment

In theory, it sounds good to go with the vet that doesn’t make many mistakes. I think the issue with Bridgewater though will be the fit. Lock threw a ton of deep passes last season, if that is what Shurmur wants the offense to be, the Lock has the advantage because he can make all the throws. But if Shurmur is comfortable shortening the offense, then Teddy might have a chance because he plays quicker mentally it offsets Lock’s arm advantage. However if you shorten the passing game to better fit Teddy, how much does that hurt the run game? Will Teddy be that much better with the short game than Lock that it offsets what we’d lose in the run game by not presenting the defense with a legitimate arm that can stretch them vertically? I think Lock is better with the short game than he is with the intermediate/vertical stuff anyway so that alone may unlock some of the potential that gets people excited about Lock. I personally believe this is Lock’s job to lose and Teddy is just insurance in case something goes very wrong or if/when? Lock gets injured.
                          Right there with you. Totally agree with your take. I just get the feeling the coaching staff favors Bridgewater. I kinda think it’s Teddy’s job to lose at this point. I’d much rather see Lock win the job. I just think the coaches will favor the “safe” vet. I hope I’m wrong
                          sigpic

Comment

Right there with you. Totally agree with your take. I just get the feeling the coaching staff favors Bridgewater. I kinda think it’s Teddy’s job to lose at this point. I’d much rather see Lock win the job. I just think the coaches will favor the “safe” vet. I hope I’m wrong
                            I really hope that you are wrong also. Listen we already have been down the QB road once 2 many times. Kyle Orton 2.0 is all that Teddy is nothing more than just your plain basic run of the mill game manager. There is a reason why Minnesota did not keep him. There is a reason why the N.O. Saints let him walk. There is an 0-8 Reason why the Carolina Panthers said No Thank You to Teddy to which Baffles me why did Denver even sign the guy? There really was no reason why Denver did sign him and to me that is one very big and very bad mistake by the New GM who should of known better. I swear the only reason why our new GM did sign Teddy is because he was behind the Drafting of Teddy in Minnesota and he does not want to admit that it was a mistake which it was so he comes here to Denver only to hand us yet another Case Cannot type of QB. What makes me so dam mad about this signing is that he knew Denver was a mess at QB and instead of finding the right Answer he just goes and messes it up some more I am like come on man you had one job to get right and he failed at that Job. Shoot pay me the GM type of Cash I promise that I could get it right. Anyways I really do hope that Drew Lock is the Answer at QB for Denver for the next 15 plus Years and I really do hope that Drew has his Break Out Year this year 2021. I do have High Hopes for Drew in becoming the Josh Allen 2.0 in 2021 and Leading us to the Playoffs and once we are in we shall unleash the Beast within AKA Von Miller so Von can Wreck it like he did in 2015 in the Playoffs and Super Bowl and may Teddy never see the Field. I can promise one thing for sure if Teddy Starts I will not watch a game because it will for surely be a Loss with him in there.

Comment

Pat better step up because if we have yet another Year of his Horrible Play Calling it is over for him and Vic so Hopefully Vic takes Pat and sit him down and go over Easy Makeable Play Calls like when it is 3rd and 1 do not Long Ball it get that first down by a Swing Out or Slant ect Build that Momentum Build that QB Confidence Win The Games.

Comment

• Just one thing I'll throw in here about injuries: Lock had a weird thumb injury in his rookie year and they put him on IR. The FO was going all in on Flacco and Lock wasn't going to be seeing the field, he was competing for the #2QB spot as a rookie and he probably wasn't going to win that job. Not a big deal and Lock was left on IR even when, IMO, he was physically capable of playing. That other injury that caused him to miss time happened when our tissue paper O-Line disintegrated in front of him and he got killed by two free rushers arriving in less than two seconds. The video is on Youtube. Go look at it. Injuries won't be an issue with Lock if the team actually puts a line in front of him. I think they are finally doing that this year. We'll see.
                                Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

Comment

Working...
                                X