Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Lock or Bridgewater Start Opening Day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by lvbronx View Post

I wasn't questioning anyone else's opinions. If anything, it's a comment on my own judgement. I thought the poll would be closer to 70:30 for Lock. I didn't include "None of the Above" in the poll because I thought the direct competition between Lock and Teddy is interesting, even if it may be someone else. It's been a while since the Broncos have had two apparently "evenly-matched" QBs compete for the starting job, not including Siemian/Lynch as legit competition. Maybe Griese/Brister?
    No worries....I was making mention of how good polls like this are. And when everyone is answering honestly, which no doubt is the case here. As a community it's not only fun to share polls of this nature, but to have as many well intentioned respondents as possible, because the more we get, the more legit the sample. I often comment on sample size, as in a true poll needs a lot more members than what we typically get.....BUT if we get a decent sample size, I believe the overall results are fairly accurate. The results of this poll so far seem pretty reasonable, given the ratio, even if unexpected.

Good stuff!

(oh yeah....as for QB similarity, for a while I would have said Plummer/Cutler.)

Leave a comment:

• lvbronx
    replied
    Originally posted by CanDB View Post

Polls of this nature are fun, and interesting. Especially when folks are answering honestly.

(not sure why a person wouldn't)
    I wasn't questioning anyone else's opinions. If anything, it's a comment on my own judgement. I thought the poll would be closer to 70:30 for Lock. I didn't include "None of the Above" in the poll because I thought the direct competition between Lock and Teddy is interesting, even if it may be someone else. It's been a while since the Broncos have had two apparently "evenly-matched" QBs compete for the starting job, not including Siemian/Lynch as legit competition. Maybe Griese/Brister?

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
    I thought Lock would get the most votes but I'm surprised it's 10 to 1 at this time. I want Lock to win but still think Bridgewater is better than 50/50 to start. Yesterday Fangio said at his press conference that reps will be split evenly and that he may flip a coin to see who gets the first snap in practice. If you listen to the local Denver sports talk shows, it seems a majority of them believe Bridgewater will be the starter opening day. Coaches are conservative by nature and Bridgewater is the conservative choice for a coach with his job on the line. Bridgewater is Paton's guy and Lock isn't and if you play Lock you better be right.

I'm not ruling Lock out by any means and I think it's a close race, but that a "tie" goes to Teddy.
    Polls of this nature are fun, and interesting. Especially when folks are answering honestly.

(not sure why a person wouldn't)

Leave a comment:

• BiscuitBronco
    replied
    Bridgewater is a decent, middle of the pack, QB. That's better than lock 2020, and probably enough to make us competitive. Lock needs to be better, and he will be. Not 'Franchise', but enough to win some play off games.

Leave a comment:

• lvbronx
    replied
    I thought Lock would get the most votes but I'm surprised it's 10 to 1 at this time. I want Lock to win but still think Bridgewater is better than 50/50 to start. Yesterday Fangio said at his press conference that reps will be split evenly and that he may flip a coin to see who gets the first snap in practice. If you listen to the local Denver sports talk shows, it seems a majority of them believe Bridgewater will be the starter opening day. Coaches are conservative by nature and Bridgewater is the conservative choice for a coach with his job on the line. Bridgewater is Paton's guy and Lock isn't and if you play Lock you better be right.

I'm not ruling Lock out by any means and I think it's a close race, but that a "tie" goes to Teddy.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
    The answer is Rodgers or Watson. HOWEVER........

If it is just Lock or Teddy, it will be Lock.

Teddy may be better but he will have to be head and shoulders better than Lock to take the job from him. They want to see Lock develop and grow. So if Lock and Teddy are even close or tied it will go to Lock. If Ted has a slight lead it will go to Lock. Lock has all the upside.
    No doubt, both names bolded have been on my preferred list.

But based on what we know today, I would have to go with Drew. He has been our starter for a year plus, and he needs to be given the opportunity to grow in the job, on the job. If it's between the two gents this year, Lock has got to be assessed in totality, because next year could be "start over" time, big time. Teddy could start and do well. But our future is not in his hands. He is here to make us more whole, to mentor, and yes, to start if needed. He could even be a starter next year. But we have to get down to business, and see if Lock is our long term guy...first and foremost. We need to know exactly what he has in the tank. We know what we have in Bridgewater. Nothing wrong with it, just not the franchise player we are in need of. But he can be a very good insurance policy for a few years.

Leave a comment:

• FR Tim
    replied
    The Watson dream needs to be put to rest. Just no!

Rodgers is a long shot at best. JMO but I think after all the drama settles, Rodgers remains in GB with a nice big new contract.

At some point the acceptance of Lock as the starter should be the conversation. For better or worse he has s the most likely starter this season. The big question will be if he can overcome his inconsistency and mistakes and be a professional QB. I think he can.

Biggest concern is the “disappointment “ felt by many when this happens. Judging Lock not by what he is doing but under the “ he’s not Rodgers” viewpoint.

Leave a comment:

• jazzbodog
    replied
    Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
    Watson or Rodgers would be my guess..... Such a happy ending it would be!
    Horrible guess. Happy ending of what?

Leave a comment:

• rst08tierney
    replied
    Watson or Rodgers would be my guess..... Such a happy ending it would be!

Leave a comment:

• jazzbodog
    replied
    Originally posted by CTM View Post
    I think Lock will start but I expect Teddy to play at some point this year, mainly because Lock hasn't stayed healthy a full year yet. I still am probably more optimistic about Lock's performance than most and it is because Teddy is there. Lock's weakness right now is decision making. That is Teddy's strength. If Lock doesn't improve there Teddy will grab the job from him and he knows it.
    It will definitely be Lock, 100%. Teddy is here in case Lock chokes and pukes right off the bat. I believe Lock will convert the doubters at least for several games if not many games going forward.
    Last edited by jazzbodog; 05-16-2021, 04:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• welderhead
    replied
    I'm certain Lock starts. I wish him all mojo and luck and I will cheer for him, but it's my fear he gets injured. However, in my fantasy, Ted realizes great success surrounded by the best team he's ever seen. Go Broncos!
    Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the Packers are wailing and gnashing their teeth and the Rogers possibility remains.

Leave a comment:

• underrated29
    replied
    The answer is Rodgers or Watson. HOWEVER........

If it is just Lock or Teddy, it will be Lock.

Teddy may be better but he will have to be head and shoulders better than Lock to take the job from him. They want to see Lock develop and grow. So if Lock and Teddy are even close or tied it will go to Lock. If Ted has a slight lead it will go to Lock. Lock has all the upside.

Leave a comment:

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    Originally posted by Mel B. View Post

I agree!

Bridgewater is just an average starting QB but would be good serving in a back-up QB role. If he's starting I'd be pissed...no I'd be livid!!!

Bridgewater has reached his ceiling...Lock hasn't and still has a lot of ceiling left to reach.

Also, if we were to get Rodgers I'd rather we keep Lock as his back-up (to sit & learn) and Bridgewater becomes part of that trade package.
    I think Lock will start and probably impress but I don’t agree that Bridgewater has reached his ceiling. Just as he was starting to find his way in Minnesota before he suffered a career threatening injury. Since then he’s been learning new offenses every single season with new targets to throw to from the Jets, to the Saints, and to the Panthers, and now to the Broncos. I do think Bridgewater has a somewhat limited ceiling (a glass ceiling if you will) as he doesn’t have the best arm and doesn’t take shots because of it. But you can dink and dunk your way to a super bowl, it’s just that you have to have incredible chemistry with your targets as well as complete mastery and freedom within the offense which are things Bridgewater has never been able to accomplish due to his journeyman status and that’s why I give the edge to Lock.

But make no mistake, Bridgewater is pretty good between the 20s. The redzone are where issues arise, but with targets like Sutton, Fant, and Patrick as well a RB duo of Gordon and Williams who refuse to go down, I think we’d still be a good offense in the redzone.

Leave a comment:

• Bronco51
    replied
    Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
    You don't pass on Justin Fields to start Teddy Bridgewater. lol.
    If Teddy starts, things went horribly wrong over the summer.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    I think Teddy can be the more consistent QB who does not make the bad mistakes. He is not the franchise QB teams are looking for tho. If Lock keeps putting us in more situations to lose than situations to win Teddy will take over imo.

To me Lock's biggest concern is his ability to to stay healthy. Part of it is just learning to throw the ball away in bad situations and live another play. It is the reason in season 3 he is going on his 19th NFL regular season game. The biggest concern I have that Lock needs help with is the coaches realizing he is still developing and the offense needs to be designed, game plans designed and plays called with that in mind. I think if those two things are done we start to see more of the Lock we saw in 2019 and less of the Lock we saw in 2020. How high is the ceiling? Honesty there is still a lot that needs to happen before we know for sure. Not just Lock fixing things he does poorly but then defenses exploiting his weaknesses and his ability to adjust...we have not even seen that yet. There is still a chance Lock can be our franchise QB in my eyes. It is why I think he starts week 1. He is on his last shot tho. It is why we have Teddy.

I take some good feelings in knowing the reports are a lot of teams were asking the Broncos if Lock was available. Apparently us not wanting to part with him was the beginning of the end in the Stafford talks. Reports are other teams were asking for him when all the news was we were going to draft a QB. I think his potential is there and others see it. It is time to put up or be put on the back burner for Lock.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X