Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Lock or Bridgewater Start Opening Day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bootleg
    replied
    Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post

one key aspect Bridgewater handles well is the blitz. Watch his game against the Chiefs last year. Watch how much he punishes the blitz by finding the free receiver - this is something Lock could improve in.
    I remember hearing this point made on a show (can't rememember which). Bridgewater was efficient against the Chiefs last season with the Panthers.

For the sake of comparison:

Teddy Bridgewater (in 1 game)

Comp/Att: 36/49
    Comp %: 73%
    Yards: 310
    TD/INT: 2/0
    Rate: 103.3

Drew Lock (in 2 games)

Comp/Att: 49/80
    Comp %: 61%
    Yards: 405
    TD/INT: 2/4
    Rate: 61.7

Leave a comment:

• lvbronx
    replied
    Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post

A lot of this is likely on TB’s ability to run the offense much more smoothly and efficiently than Lock. Lock has upside, but that’s hard to quantify and prove to be a realization. If you have a great team, a Hc is more likely to have a QB run an offense that protects the ball and helps open up the run game.

one key aspect Bridgewater handles well is the blitz. Watch his game against the Chiefs last year. Watch how much he punishes the blitz by finding the free receiver - this is something Lock could improve in.
    I agree and I think Stokley had an interesting opinion on his radio show. He thinks that it's Shurmur wants to play 3 WO and Teddy is better in these formations and Lock is better in 2 TE formations. IIRC last year every INT Lock threw was in 3 WO sets.

My opinion is, Shurmur wants Teddy because Teddy fits his offense better and doesn't want to fit the offense to Lock. When Lock has played well it seems to me it was when he was running a variation of the Shanny West Coast offense and running stretch plays and play action/boots off them.

Leave a comment:

• Starbroncs
    replied
    Originally posted by Peerless View Post

Ugh Flacco? Really? C'mon man. Flacco was hot trash on his way to becoming a Bronco.

Bridgewater is younger, more careful, and also a lot more mobile compared to Flacco. I think with the right support (as it has been per the preseason), he could do alright as our quarterback.
    at least with flacco there was evidence than he has played at a high level before. Dont get me wrong i was still upset when we got him. I just dont see any upside in teddy. If he has a good year it will honestly be his first, hes never even been close to 20 tds which is a low bar in the modern era.

Hes younger but hes nearly 30 and hes never given any reason to believe he can be a franchise qb. In a real game those tds are most likely just fgs with the failed 3rd down conversions so im not going to have faith in him just based off the seattle game.

Even carolina didnt want him, why would I?

Leave a comment:

• TheAsianPA
    replied
    Originally posted by Humberg View Post
    I think everyone saying this is an okay move for this year is missing the point. It’s about the long term quarterback situation. Consider:

1) They had a situation where Lock really hadn’t gotten a full off season and season to develop under a consistent coaching staff. He may have continued to improve if allowed to develop but now they won’t ever know.

2) They say it was neck and neck but if that’s the case this was dumb. Teddy is a journeyman quarterback who is at his ceiling. Lock was continuing to get better and has shown a lot of improvement. Why choose someone at their plateau instead of someone who is ramping up if they are on par with each other right now?

3) The big issue is that this all but guarantees we are back in the quarterback hunt next year. This brings up two major questions. Given that, out of the two, Lock has more of a chance to be a franchise quarterback eventually and stick with the team beyond this year (if starting) why not go with him instead of guaranteeing you have no clarity at quarterback beyond this year? And if this was going to be the case, why not roll the dice on the gift that fell into your lap in Justin Fields this past draft to at least try to solidify this when you had the chance? It’s unlikely you’ll be in that type of situation again? The reasoning is inconsistent here at best.

Ultimately, this was a short sighted move that disregards the potential in Lock, opts for someone who is a one year stop gap solution and perpetuates ongoing failure at the most important position in football.
    A lot of this is likely on TB’s ability to run the offense much more smoothly and efficiently than Lock. Lock has upside, but that’s hard to quantify and prove to be a realization. If you have a great team, a Hc is more likely to have a QB run an offense that protects the ball and helps open up the run game.

Last edited by TheAsianPA; 08-27-2021, 10:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Humberg
    replied
    I think everyone saying this is an okay move for this year is missing the point. It’s about the long term quarterback situation. Consider:

1) They had a situation where Lock really hadn’t gotten a full off season and season to develop under a consistent coaching staff. He may have continued to improve if allowed to develop but now they won’t ever know.

2) They say it was neck and neck but if that’s the case this was dumb. Teddy is a journeyman quarterback who is at his ceiling. Lock was continuing to get better and has shown a lot of improvement. Why choose someone at their plateau instead of someone who is ramping up if they are on par with each other right now?

3) The big issue is that this all but guarantees we are back in the quarterback hunt next year. This brings up two major questions. Given that, out of the two, Lock has more of a chance to be a franchise quarterback eventually and stick with the team beyond this year (if starting) why not go with him instead of guaranteeing you have no clarity at quarterback beyond this year? And if this was going to be the case, why not roll the dice on the gift that fell into your lap in Justin Fields this past draft to at least try to solidify this when you had the chance? It’s unlikely you’ll be in that type of situation again? The reasoning is inconsistent here at best.

Ultimately, this was a short sighted move that disregards the potential in Lock, opts for someone who is a one year stop gap solution and perpetuates ongoing failure at the most important position in football.

Leave a comment:

• Peerless
    replied
    Originally posted by Starbroncs View Post

umm okay? Not sure what lock has to do with bridgewater's years with the vikings. I was more excited about getting flacco than teddy, at least he had good statistical years and success in the playoffs.

I just want an end to the rotation of other teams trash at qb.
    Ugh Flacco? Really? C'mon man. Flacco was hot trash on his way to becoming a Bronco.

Bridgewater is younger, more careful, and also a lot more mobile compared to Flacco. I think with the right support (as it has been per the preseason), he could do alright as our quarterback.

Leave a comment:

• Starbroncs
    replied
    Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post

Yet with all that you say...he is the starter and not lock.
    umm okay? Not sure what lock has to do with bridgewater's years with the vikings. I was more excited about getting flacco than teddy, at least he had good statistical years and success in the playoffs.

I just want an end to the rotation of other teams trash at qb.

Leave a comment:

• listopencil
    replied
    Well, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Teddy Bridgewater will be the starter.

Leave a comment:

• Ear2dastreets
    replied
    Originally posted by Starbroncs View Post

14 tds 12 ints his first year. 14 tds 9 ints his second year

This is what I would consider bottom tier qb play. Pretty much same as his "bad" year with the panthers. The only time he was any good was with the saints.
    Yet with all that you say...he is the starter and not lock.

Leave a comment:

• Starbroncs
    replied

Teddy was doing good before the injury. I disagree with you on, it's impossible for Teddy to bet out lock as if lock has been this top notch qb and that's soooooo not the truth. But it is what it is.
    14 tds 12 ints his first year. 14 tds 9 ints his second year

This is what I would consider bottom tier qb play. Pretty much same as his "bad" year with the panthers. The only time he was any good was with the saints.

Leave a comment:

• lvbronx
    replied
    Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
    Assuming we don't get Rodgers or any other QB before our first game, which QB do you think will start, Lock or Bridgewater?
    Looks like only about 20% got this correct. The local Broncos media gave TB a slight edge pretty consistently throughout, but the fans here saw it differently.

Leave a comment:

• Ear2dastreets
    replied
    Originally posted by sra84 View Post
    The only QB on this team that MAY be the guy is Drew Lock.

If he thinks Bridgewater MAY be the guy, then I doubt his QB evaluation ability. There's no way Bridgewater should be the starting QB over Lock. He's not THE guy, he never was THE guy anywhere he played. Paton should know....he had a front row seat to Teddy not being THE guy in Minnesota.
    Teddy was doing good before the injury. I disagree with you on, it's impossible for Teddy to bet out lock as if lock has been this top notch qb and that's soooooo not the truth. But it is what it is.

Leave a comment:

• skeeter01
    replied

That's what got? I'm saying if he feels that way about the "qb" position.

In addition I do care if he does 100 things right but if he doesn't fix the main thing, then just that's what exactly what I'm saying..

It's not about how many rights or wrongs , it's the net weight of the right or wrong..

Ex

I have an employee, that's always on time, goes great work, goes beyond the call of duty, team player, very knowledgeable.....buttttttt....he stole 10,000..from the company

Ex

My daughter dates thus guy, he treats her great, lives in a big house, great father to the kids,......but...he a drug dealer...

That one bad thing out weights all the good things...

If Paton does get this Qb thing right...I can careless about all the other good things he does....
    Cool, I got ya

Leave a comment:

• sra84
    replied
    The only QB on this team that MAY be the guy is Drew Lock.

If he thinks Bridgewater MAY be the guy, then I doubt his QB evaluation ability. There's no way Bridgewater should be the starting QB over Lock. He's not THE guy, he never was THE guy anywhere he played. Paton should know....he had a front row seat to Teddy not being THE guy in Minnesota.

Leave a comment:

• Ear2dastreets
    replied
    Originally posted by skeeter01 View Post

Wait, hold on....Are you telling me that you don't like anything Paton has done ? That would be foolish talk. Do I need to list all of the positives. Just because he didn't get your J fizzy, doesn't mean the dude is a bum.
    That's what got? I'm saying if he feels that way about the "qb" position.

In addition I don't care if he does 100 things right but if he doesn't fix the main thing, then just that's what exactly what I'm saying..

It's not about how many rights or wrongs , it's the net weight of the right or wrong..

Ex

I have an employee, that's always on time, does great work, goes beyond the call of duty, team player, very knowledgeable.....buttttttt....he stole 10,000..from the company

Ex

My daughter dates thus guy, he treats her great, lives in a big house, great father to the kids,......but...he a drug dealer...

That one bad thing out weighs all the good things...

If Paton doesn't get this Qb thing right...I can careless about all the other good things he does....
    Last edited by Ear2dastreets; 08-13-2021, 06:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X