Assuming Teddy is the starter.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assuming Teddy is the starter.....

Trade Lock? He has perceived upside we might get something for.
    I don't think we could get much for Teddy because he's a journeyman now.

Do we dare go into the big bad world of an NFL season with Bridgewater / Rypen?

I wouldn't because that would leave the QB position with no depth in a seventeen game season.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Haha, no. You didn’t draft Lock in the 2nd round only to give up on him before his rookie contract is up and you still have no idea if he’s reached his potential yet. If the Broncos were to trade him and he was to go and have quite a career, you make yourself look really foolish for giving up way to early on him.

Denver has two more years of Lock under contract. There’s no sense in pulling the plug on Lock just yet, especially not for Bridgewater. There’s a reason Teddy is already on the 4th team of his career. He’s a decent starting option if you have no other choice, but he’s not a franchise QB. He’s not a QB you put playoff hopes on. He’s essentially a younger Ryan Fitzpatrick.

A significant portion of this season needs to be used on finding out if Lock can be the guy. Better to find out now if we need to work on an extension for Drew than wait til next year and end up having to pay a premium if he’s earned it. And if he proves he isn’t the guy, we’ll still have him on the cheap next year while spending next offseason looking for an upgrade. Either way, we can’t expect Bridgewater to be the future of the offense.
      Eternal Broncos Optimist

Comment

Why would you trade either?

Even if TB is the starter, it is not like Lock has played poorly. Just not the expectations of some. Valuable backup.

Same can be said if Lock is named the starter. TB is still a valuable backup.

Comment

Originally posted by Megalodon30 View Post
          Haha, no. You didn’t draft Lock in the 2nd round only to give up on him before his rookie contract is up and you still have no idea if he’s reached his potential yet. If the Broncos were to trade him and he was to go and have quite a career, you make yourself look really foolish for giving up way to early on him.

Denver has two more years of Lock under contract. There’s no sense in pulling the plug on Lock just yet, especially not for Bridgewater. There’s a reason Teddy is already on the 4th team of his career. He’s a decent starting option if you have no other choice, but he’s not a franchise QB. He’s not a QB you put playoff hopes on. He’s essentially a younger Ryan Fitzpatrick.

A significant portion of this season needs to be used on finding out if Lock can be the guy. Better to find out now if we need to work on an extension for Drew than wait til next year and end up having to pay a premium if he’s earned it. And if he proves he isn’t the guy, we’ll still have him on the cheap next year while spending next offseason looking for an upgrade. Either way, we can’t expect Bridgewater to be the future of the offense.
          To play devil’s advocate, doesn’t that mean it’s the perfect time to trade him? His value right now, is likely the best it’ll be. We already have significant game tape on Lock, if he can’t beat Teddy for the starting role, it makes some sense to trade him now, to some team who thinks they can salvage him.

if he doesn’t win the starting role, I would seriously consider trading him.

Comment

Lock has minimal trade value... maybe you get a 4th or 5th for him?

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post

To play devil’s advocate, doesn’t that mean it’s the perfect time to trade him? His value right now, is likely the best it’ll be. We already have significant game tape on Lock, if he can’t beat Teddy for the starting role, it makes some sense to trade him now, to some team who thinks they can salvage him.

if he doesn’t win the starting role, I would seriously consider trading him.
              Only way you believe his trade value is at its highest is if you have absolutely no confidence he’ll make any more improvements to his game. Which again means if you trade him and he goes and lights it up, you end up with a lot of egg on your face. It’s much better to stick with him and see if he plays well than ship him off and see him play well with someone else.

Of course if you ship him off and he plays poorly, you look really smart in trading him now, but that’s a pretty big gamble to make with a young QB you used a high pick on. I don’t believe the staff has given up on Lock’s development so I don’t see them trading him anyway. Lock is not Paxton Lynch. He clearly cares about becoming the best QB he can. There’s really no good reason to give up on him yet.
              Eternal Broncos Optimist

Comment

Given the current set of circumstances, don't see a reason to trade anyone on Denver's roster right now. Like going into the seventeen game season with the highest quality depth possible. Expect a strong PS made up of young players who have been with the team since Spring whom the coaches know and who know the system well. Denver will probably make good use of league rules on PS players each week and use them for STs.
                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by False Start View Post
                  Trade Lock? He has perceived upside we might get something for.
                  I don't think we could get much for Teddy because he's a journeyman now.

Do we dare go into the big bad world of an NFL season with Bridgewater / Rypen?
                  No, at least not until next offseason.

Teddy being the guy is fine with me but I'd want to keep Lock this season for a couple reasons.

1. He's better insurance than we would be able to find elsewhere. He's shown strides where if Teddy is playing well and gets hurt I'd want Lock here to step in and see if he can make it to the playoffs. I do have a feeling whoever wins the competition won't be the only QB starting for us this season due to ether injury or poor play.

2. I doubt teams would be willing to give much for a QB like Lock this close to the season. He's seen as an upside type QB, not a game manager. When the Jets got a 3rd rounder for Teddy the reason was he's seen as a game manager. A risky high upside QB is more valuable to a team when they get him for a full offseason. I think his value will be unchanged, maybe even slightly higher if we wait until February to start shopping him around.

A book I wrote

Comment

Originally posted by Megalodon30 View Post

Only way you believe his trade value is at its highest is if you have absolutely no confidence he’ll make any more improvements to his game. Which again means if you trade him and he goes and lights it up, you end up with a lot of egg on your face. It’s much better to stick with him and see if he plays well than ship him off and see him play well with someone else.

Of course if you ship him off and he plays poorly, you look really smart in trading him now, but that’s a pretty big gamble to make with a young QB you used a high pick on. I don’t believe the staff has given up on Lock’s development so I don’t see them trading him anyway. Lock is not Paxton Lynch. He clearly cares about becoming the best QB he can. There’s really no good reason to give up on him yet.
                    If he can’t even beat out Teddy B for the starting job, then he’s pretty much done for in the NFL. Trade him and get what you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post

If he can’t even beat out Teddy B for the starting job, then he’s pretty much done for in the NFL. Trade him and get what you can.
                      This is a facile argument.

A) we have no idea who will be named starter.

B) Teddy is not a bad quarterback. There maybe 10-15 QBs in the league that could beat him outright in a straight up competition.

C) Lock is still an incredibly young QB that we very recently used a high draft pick on.

Only reason you move on from him is if you think Lock is a finished product and has no room to grow. And considering he’s only 24 years old, there’s really no reason to believe he’s anywhere near a finished product.
                      Eternal Broncos Optimist

Comment

Did we really use a high pick on Lock?
                        Pick#42 for a QB is not considered high. Indeed as Broncos third playàer selected, he should be considered as a developmental prospect. How long will this development take and what's his realist ceiling?. Year 3 will tell us much, but expectations should be solid multi-year starter and not some kinda Franchise or HOFer. The former gets us to the playoffs st least.

Comment

Why are we assuming Teddy gets the start? What has Lock done to lose it? He has surprised me so far this preseason and imo....has outplayed Teddy

Comment

I would say no. And I’m sure Fangio feels the same. Shurmur also said it’s rare a qb stays healthy for 17 games, so it’s likely we’ll see both Lock and Bridgewater at different points in the season
                            Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Pretty evident Teddy will be the guy. Lock has no trade value and will see playing time. Keep them both, we should be in contention for a playoff spot.

Comment

Working...
                              X