Teddy Bridgewater Named Starting QB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Starbroncs View Post

they were picking at 20 and traded to 11 which typically takes a lot to move up that much (I believe they gave up multiple 1sts plus more). This was also in a draft where 5 qbs went in the top 15 picks which im not sure if its ever happened before?
    1999: Tim Couch #1; Donovan McNabb #2; Akili Smith #3; Daunte Culpepper #11; Cade McNown #12

"Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by welderhead View Post
      I guess because we're the Broncos we can't have a 'beating a dead horse' emoji but that's where I'm at with Bridgewater/Lock until I've seen a couple of games.
      Used to be the :brick: emoji and the :hammer: emoji.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post

1999: Tim Couch #1; Donovan McNabb #2; Akili Smith #3; Daunte Culpepper #11; Cade McNown #12
        And none of them won a SB. McNabb played in a SB ... I think? Culpepper had a few good seasons, McNown was a back up QB for a few years. Oh yeah Couch, I liked him. maybe that shows how good I am at rating QBs?
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post

It is strange that we keep talking about Fields with so many putting him on a pedistal. Two years ago Drew Lock was supposed to be a top ten QB - compared to Matt Stafford.
          None of the talking heads seem to prefer Lock over Bridgewater and many are high on TB5. Most of the first round QBs this year will likely end up being noting special, and we might just have a great balanced team that can stiffle the passing games in our division.

Teddy Bridgewater has every chance of either being hot or not. He is a stabile player with upside, and there is every reason that he could be the best QB we have had since 2014!
          I dont think its people putting him on a pedestal. With fields you would actually have hope. Thats what drew was to us a few years ago. For the first time in a long time we were done with all the journeyman qbs like orton, keenum, flacco and we had our guy who could be really good for decades.

Going to bridgewater is just like going back to orton. Hes a guy who knows how to run an offense and can move the chains. Does anyone actually believe hes the guy though? Hes another stopgap who wont last longer than a year. I think you might be the first person I have seen argue that teddy has upside. Thats really the whole point of going with him, hes "steady teddy". Hes not going to have any low lows or high highs.

With teddy all we did was raise the floor of our qb play bit but also lowered the ceiling by a lot.

The panthers had a lot of one score losses last year, they had 7 attempts at game winning drives and didnt put a single one together (I believe two were at the fault of the kicker).

I just want a reason to be hopeful for our offense. 2014 was the last season where we werent in the bottom 10 for offensive production. The team has just been laughably bad at putting up points and im sick of cycling through journeyman qbs. Drew gave us hope in his rookie year and kinda fell on his face last year. Going into the season with teddy and drew just took all our hope away.

There werent many starting qbs who had a worst season than teddy did last year, drew was one of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Starbroncs View Post

I dont think its people putting him on a pedestal. With fields you would actually have hope. Thats what drew was to us a few years ago. For the first time in a long time we were done with all the journeyman qbs like orton, keenum, flacco and we had our guy who could be really good for decades.

Going to bridgewater is just like going back to orton. Hes a guy who knows how to run an offense and can move the chains. Does anyone actually believe hes the guy though? Hes another stopgap who wont last longer than a year. I think you might be the first person I have seen argue that teddy has upside. Thats really the whole point of going with him, hes "steady teddy". Hes not going to have any low lows or high highs.

With teddy all we did was raise the floor of our qb play bit but also lowered the ceiling by a lot.

The panthers had a lot of one score losses last year, they had 7 attempts at game winning drives and didnt put a single one together (I believe two were at the fault of the kicker).

I just want a reason to be hopeful for our offense. 2014 was the last season where we werent in the bottom 10 for offensive production. The team has just been laughably bad at putting up points and im sick of cycling through journeyman qbs. Drew gave us hope in his rookie year and kinda fell on his face last year. Going into the season with teddy and drew just took all our hope away.

There werent many starting qbs who had a worst season than teddy did last year, drew was one of them.
            It is difficult to figure out if in Teddy we get the 5-0 QB anno 2019 that Panthers thought they got or the QB that Panthers are still paying for this year. Teddy's career thus far has been a bit better than Plummers had before he came to Denver, and I for one hope that the positive vibe that many commentators have turn out to be true. Seing what we saw i preseason I am glad that Teddy starts over Drew, but I agree that the loosing close games is one of my very negativa triggers. My love for Elway, Plummer and Tebow are build largely on the close game performances, and I am very concerned there.

Comment

• Bridgewater starting???

That news to me!!!

Comment

• Heard a damning TB analysis last night. The QB has never overcome a 7 pt deficit to win a game. Almost seems impossible to be true.

Part of the discussion was the necessity for the Broncos to play with a lead. Getting behind early will not bode well.

The other disturbing fact was the Broncos never scored a TD on an opening drive all last season. That has to change!

Hopefully Bridgewater can make this happen. Shurmur’s play calling must be better too.

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post

My love for Elway, Plummer and Tebow are build largely on the close game performances, and I am very concerned there.
                  I bag on Tebow a lot because for 55 minutes of every game he played as a Bronco he was hot garbage. But, man, those final 5 minutes could be stunning and they were some of the most exciting bits of Broncos football I've ever seen. I will definitely give him that. He made it entertaining.
                  Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

Comment

• Originally posted by listopencil View Post

I bag on Tebow a lot because for 55 minutes of every game he played as a Bronco he was hot garbage. But, man, those final 5 minutes could be stunning and they were some of the most exciting bits of Broncos football I've ever seen. I will definitely give him that. He made it entertaining.
                    The guy was possibly the worst nfl qb I have ever seen (two completions in a game?!) But he was pretty awesome at the end of games.

Comment

• I hoping for the best with Teddy. If Shurmur actually sticks to a ball control with 12 or 13 personnel, I think he will be an effective QB.

There are two opinions about Teddy that I think are blown out of proportion and are really not that accurate.

Teddy will have plenty of mid and deep throws. Keep in mind, I’m advocating for a ball control offense. I just think he actually throws effective mid to deep throws. Sure, it’s not going to be lights out Star Wars offense, but I certainly don’t think it will be a 2 yard dump off on every play.

I also think he has to protect the ball better. Teddy has turned the ball over plenty in his career. If he cuts down on his ints, then this team will have a shot in every game. Still, I think the idea that he doesn’t turn the ball over is a bit off.

Here’s hoping for an efficient and effective performance by Teddy. I’m rooting like heck for it. If he can cut down on ints and run an efficient offense, then I like their chances.

Go Broncos!
                      sigpic

Comment

• Here’s a thought I had mid game on Teddy for the whole well every other team got rid of him so he can’t be good crowd.

Obviously Minnesota moved on due to injury but Teddy was a winning QB there and ascending at the time of the horrific injury. He went to the Jets who predictably drafted a QB, it was still unknown how Teddy would play coming off that injury. Well Teddy played so well the Saints traded a 3rd round pick to get him, I think only one other backup was traded for higher and that was Garropollo. A 3rd round pick is a big deal so I wouldn’t say the Jets didn’t want him at all, they just had their presumed franchise guy in Darnold and were always going to go with him. Bridgewater was the backup in New Orleans and when called upon was again successful, he was successful enough for the Panthers to offer him a big contract and since Teddy wanted to start he left, New Orleans gladly would’ve taken him back you’re fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

Now fast forward to his time in Carolina. Carolina was the only place he has not managed to be successful. Why is this? Injuries definitely played a part of it but during that rough stretch of losses there were some rumblings that the coaches wanted Teddy to push the ball vertically. The HC never bought into Teddy and wanted him to be something he wasn’t and I think that played a large part in why he struggled there. Now here, Fangio is just trying to save his job and he doesn’t care how that happens. Shurmur is familiar with Teddy and likely signed off on the trade if he didn’t outright push for it. In Denver, Teddy can be the QB he is. He isn’t necessarily the super risk averse QB he tried to be his first 2 seasons in Minnesota, but he’s not quite the field stretcher Carolina desperately wanted him to be. He’s somewhere in between with added years of experience and a certain lay it all on the line type of attitude because every snap he’s received since that injury is almost a miracle.

Teddy may not be a long term option, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if we see a resurgence in his career with all this talent around him and with a coaching staff that just wants him to be who he is.

Comment

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                          Here’s a thought I had mid game on Teddy for the whole well every other team got rid of him so he can’t be good crowd.

Obviously Minnesota moved on due to injury but Teddy was a winning QB there and ascending at the time of the horrific injury. He went to the Jets who predictably drafted a QB, it was still unknown how Teddy would play coming off that injury. Well Teddy played so well the Saints traded a 3rd round pick to get him, I think only one other backup was traded for higher and that was Garropollo. A 3rd round pick is a big deal so I wouldn’t say the Jets didn’t want him at all, they just had their presumed franchise guy in Darnold and were always going to go with him. Bridgewater was the backup in New Orleans and when called upon was again successful, he was successful enough for the Panthers to offer him a big contract and since Teddy wanted to start he left, New Orleans gladly would’ve taken him back you’re fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

Now fast forward to his time in Carolina. Carolina was the only place he has not managed to be successful. Why is this? Injuries definitely played a part of it but during that rough stretch of losses there were some rumblings that the coaches wanted Teddy to push the ball vertically. The HC never bought into Teddy and wanted him to be something he wasn’t and I think that played a large part in why he struggled there. Now here, Fangio is just trying to save his job and he doesn’t care how that happens. Shurmur is familiar with Teddy and likely signed off on the trade if he didn’t outright push for it. In Denver, Teddy can be the QB he is. He isn’t necessarily the super risk averse QB he tried to be his first 2 seasons in Minnesota, but he’s not quite the field stretcher Carolina desperately wanted him to be. He’s somewhere in between with added years of experience and a certain lay it all on the line type of attitude because every snap he’s received since that injury is almost a miracle.

Teddy may not be a long term option, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if we see a resurgence in his career with all this talent around him and with a coaching staff that just wants him to be who he is.
                          Is it Craig Morton all over again?
                          Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• That is how we will win all year, ball control, no turnovers and good D

Comment

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                              Here’s a thought I had mid game on Teddy for the whole well every other team got rid of him so he can’t be good crowd.

It mostly sounds like excuses. There were a lot of people excited for Orton when we went 6-0 and had a few good games. A lot of people made excuses for Orton too.

People were excited for Trevor Siemian too after his 3 or 4 td game against the cowboys. All these qbs are journeyman qbs. Maybe we will try out nick foles or cam Newton next year.

So fed up with denver qbs

Comment

• Good on Teddy for starting off with a W!

He had a passer rate of 115.7 and as far as I can tell, he has the best QBR so far today.

Those are good stats and the win smells sweet!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X