Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Teddy Bridgewater Named Starting QB

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Starbroncs View Post

    He missed time last year as well and many have used his injury as an excuse for his level of play.

    you're the one who brought up Murray because of his rookie season but look how good his second season was. You also compared him to Derek Carr, how was his second year? Both made huge jumps and are now top 15 qbs.

    How many bronco fans were seriously excited when we signed Teddy? Andy Dalton would have been a better pickup based on their history. Andy has had way way more success in his career. Obviously Teddy has had a better two games than Andy this year but the argument was teddy's performance in previous years.

    Giving a multi year deal for 25+ mil for an unproven qb rarely works out. Seahawks did it with that gb qb who I can't remember. 49ers did it with Jimmy and while they made it to the Superbowl they are already trying to move on from him.

    We will see how he does in the upcoming weeks. For now I am pleasantly surprised and it's nice to win for once. Hopefully he can keep it up.
    He missed one game last year. I don't remember him blaming the injury for any of their struggles, but maybe he did. Maybe he was right if he did, maybe he was wrong.

    I brought up Murray because you said Teddy's wins and yards as a rookie weren't impressive. Murray won fewer games in more starts.

    He improved the next year... to 8 whole wins. Teddy improved to 11.

    Derek Carr got 7 whole wins his second year. He really jumped in his third year... got to 12 wins.

    Of course, Carr followed up his huge jumps with 6 wins, 4 wins, 7 wins, then 8 wins.

    So Carr has now had a total of one year with more wins than Teddy's second year, but he's awesome, right?



    Thanks, Reid!
    sigpic
    Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
      Seems like people that don't like Teddy (or don't think he's a great answer) feel like we're going to give out some Mahommes level money for him if he still can't top his 15TD best year.

      Nobody is suggesting we do that or that it would be a good idea to do so.

      I would agree that giving Teddy Bridgewater the same money we'd give Aaron Rodgers would be a bad call if he only throws 11 more TDs this year.

      I normally am one to jump in and support talking about just about anything on a message board, as that's what they're there for... but maybe it's just too early to be having this conversation.

      Maybe Teddy's performance drops off the rest of the year. We have played some weak teams.

      I'm sure he probably won't get 0 Ints the rest of the year. I'm also pretty sure (barring injuries) that he's going to top 15 TDs.

      If the Broncos gave him a $50M/yr contract, that would probably be a mistake.

      If they gave him a $20-$25M/yr for 2-3 years and then had a lot of cap space to keep towards keeping our other great talent, that would be acceptable to me if we make the playoffs.

      Overpaying a QB based on one year can be bad, for sure. So can letting a QB go who leads you to the playoffs for the first time in 5 years, when you've been crying for a QB who can do that for 5 years.

      And yes, I think that Teddy would be willing to see the overall longer-term gain of not making us overpay him on one year. He's already done the 'overpaid in a bad team/situation' last year. I think he'd prefer to be here under those circumstances... where he knows he can succeed.
      The NFL isn't college football. It's a small league with a common draft, free agency, a salary cap and equal scheduling. The difference between winning and losing is small. Half the games played, so far, were decided by seven points or less. The number of games decided by fourteen points or more will probably decline as offenses catch up with defenses, and scouting has more of a sample size. Pro teams have limited rosters and week to week performance is affected by injuries, who is active and the progress of young and new players on a team.

      There is no doubt that Denver's schedule favored a quick start to the season, but teams change from week to week and what matters most on game day are the offensive vs. defensive match-ups. It is true that the Broncos have eleven players on IR, but five of those were placed prior to the season. Of the remaining six, one is out for the season (Jewell) and five are expected back plus two more from PUP/Reserve. Denver's depth is good.

      Teddy Bridgewater is new to the Broncos, but has already brought a veteran presence to the offense and shown leadership with two victories on the road. Winning on the road is difficult in the NFL, and Denver now starts the season with two Ws without having played any of the nine games scheduled at Mile High Stadium which is a difficult environment for visitors.

      I agree with you that it is too early to project how the Broncos in general, and Teddy in particular, will do over the course of the season, since much can and will happen that is impossible to foresee. If players on IR return for the second half of the season, it could affect five of the six division games. Read one article that projected Teddy's value in the $30 million range. Think that's based on him continuing his current level of play. Some think that level will decline, but it could increase as he develops more chemistry and other offensive players step up.

      We shall (future tense) see.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

      Comment


      • Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post

        You're right. There was a negative narrative around Teddy coming into this season. In some respects it was earned.... but it's also unfair to an extent. There's some serious context required.

        Sure, it's his 4th team he's starting on.... but it's not like he's been repeatedly dumped for his performance.

        He was dumped by Minny for the same reason that Indy moved on from Peyton Manning... Nobody knew if they'd ever be able to even play again after their injury.

        Jets don't even count here, because they shipped him out for outperforming their star rookie.

        NO - He went 5-0 as a starter, but had a chance to earn starting money, so he was gone.


        Carolina - Yes, things sucked here.

        Take Denver out of it because it's too early to really say, and he has had 3 real stops, and two were successful. Rookie of the Year and Probowl years in Minny along with a playoff appearance... 5-0 in NO.

        I'm biased towards Teddy and willing to admit it. The 'Teddy Checkdown' memes started in NO... but I think they were asking him to be as safe as possible, which is something he's very good at.

        I've followed Teddy his whole career.... he's played at a different level this year than ever before. His yards and TDs aren't impressive, but that's partially because we're running the clock like crazy... which could be very key in beating some of the other teams we're going to be facing.

        I honestly do not know if he'll be able to keep it up for the whole season. Having easy early games is good for getting rhythm and confidence, but not great for evaluating where you're really at.

        But if we're able to keep this up after the schedule gets better... then things will be a bit different.

        Keenum is not a great comparison... as he's had success in one place for one year. If Teddy warrants looking at another contract here, he will have had success in three places over several years after being kicked around the league for reasons generally outside of his control and not related to his play, except in Carolina.

        After Teddy was named starter, I've repeatedly pointed out that his bad year in Carolina was largely due to missing the key component of the offense all year in McCaffrey. So I chuckled a little last night when I saw the following tweet -

        "Panthers have totaled 14 net yards on 11 plays since Christian McCaffrey was injured."

        https://twitter.com/PanthersBill/sta...17342575296517

        Granted, I didn't watch the game, but it does look like they did manage to get something going against the Texans later, and they pulled out the win. I do hope McCaffrey is ok... he's the only reason I pull for anything good on that team though... and they're not much without him.

        I'm trying my hardest not to get my hopes up too early for Teddy. There were times that I thought he'd never fully recover or take that next step after his injury. Like I said though... he's playing better now than ever before. If he keeps it up, he'll be better than a zebra or horse... he'll be a and I personally hope for long term, but not at an unreasonable contract.

        FWIW... I do understand the trepidation. Some of it's certainly warranted. We'll see how he looks the rest of the season though. Can't wait!
        Didn't the Saints give a third-round pick to the Jets for Bridgewater as a back-up QB? Didn't Teddy sign with the Panthers because he wanted to start? If Teddy continues to play well, the investment Denver made to acquire him will look like one of the best deals of the 2021 NFL season.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

        Comment


        • Originally posted by samparnell View Post

          Didn't the Saints give a third-round pick to the Jets for Bridgewater as a back-up QB? Didn't Teddy sign with the Panthers because he wanted to start? If Teddy continues to play well, the investment Denver made to acquire him will look like one of the best deals of the 2021 NFL season.
          Let's see...

          Yes...

          Yes...

          And Yes!

          Thanks, Reid!
          sigpic
          Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

          Comment


          • I will admit, though I like Teddy I was not sure he was a good enough starter for this season. But I did see him as the better fit, over Drew. And I always remember how good Teddy was when he made it to the league, and how important he was to The Saints when Brees went down. Plus the guy is very likable, and if the team likes a guy and the guy is making things happen, it equates to hope and yes, support.

            And for me, when a team buys in, it is hard to even compute the positives in performance and production. Whereas any form of doubt can linger (possibly in Drew's game), and sometimes limit maximum effort and energy. I think we all know the competitive feeling of giving it all you have, but not being the best you can be because of limitations and yes, uncertain belief in one or more others. You play hard but you do not have the same energy.

            Unless something happens to Teddy, or he suddenly loses his focus/touch, I see him finishing the season as our starter. And with any sort of playoff run, he would be the man to beat next year.

            Comment


            • I've seen it brought up that we've only beat a couple of bad 0-2 teams going into the third week of the season and it's true. But do stop to consider that before Teddy Bridgewater we were one of those bad 0-2 teams going into the third week of the season. For the Denver Broncos, mediocrity would be an upgrade.
              Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

              Comment


              • I really do not know why some are still not liking Teddy. After looking at the games again it is obvious here he is an improvement over ANYTHING we have had in recent years. He is calm and never gets rattled. He makes quick decisions. He is able to maneuver the pocket and buy extra time to make a play. His leadership skills were already there and now that we 2-0 he has even gotten more credit as a leader.

                Say what you want about Teddy but right now he is the best QB we have had since PM retired.

                I get how things do not feel right yet....we are a team that has struggled for a long time. Shoot even in 2015 it took me 6 games or so to realize we actually had a defense good enough to ride deep into the playoffs. I know most experts did not get it until playoff time. Some even had us losing the division or even missing the playoffs with 3 weeks left to play in 2015 season. Even at the Super Bowl a some of experts did not see how good we were in 2015. When so many experts do not see it I get how the fans can miss it.
                Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

                Comment


                • Originally posted by samparnell View Post

                  Didn't the Saints give a third-round pick to the Jets for Bridgewater as a back-up QB? Didn't Teddy sign with the Panthers because he wanted to start? If Teddy continues to play well, the investment Denver made to acquire him will look like one of the best deals of the 2021 NFL season.
                  100% agreed

                  We are two weeks in so yea we got a while to go before final evaluations can be made but I think the Teddy deal is already worth it. I was hoping for a "better vet" qb to come in here but I am now realizing that Teddy is the kind of vet a young QB needs.

                  Even if we decide to go another way with a young QB I think we may want to seriously consider keeping Teddy here to help teach the new kid.

                  Playing QB is hard. Teddy may have other issues that stops him from being a "franchise QB" but it looks to me like he has figured out how to play QB in the NFL.
                  Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                    I really do not know why some are still not liking Teddy. After looking at the games again it is obvious here he is an improvement over ANYTHING we have had in recent years. He is calm and never gets rattled. He makes quick decisions. He is able to maneuver the pocket and buy extra time to make a play. His leadership skills were already there and now that we 2-0 he has even gotten more credit as a leader.

                    Say what you want about Teddy but right now he is the best QB we have had since PM retired.

                    I get how things do not feel right yet....we are a team that has struggled for a long time. Shoot even in 2015 it took me 6 games or so to realize we actually had a defense good enough to ride deep into the playoffs. I know most experts did not get it until playoff time. Some even had us losing the division or even missing the playoffs with 3 weeks left to play in 2015 season. Even at the Super Bowl a some of experts did not see how good we were in 2015. When so many experts do not see it I get how the fans can miss it.
                    I don't think it's that some don't like Teddy. He's a likeable guy and I know we all want him to be successful. I think it's that some are getting carried away and kind of over rating him based on two solid performances against bad Giants and Jaguars teams. His career has been average at best so far. So, forgive those who aren't buying the hype just yet.

                    The fact that he's probably the best QB we've had since Manning isn't saying a lot, considering what who we've had.

                    The point is we've been down the road of stop gap quarterbacks for years, because we've been just as poor at drafting and developing quarterbacks, and it hasn't worked. So, until he plays well against better teams and we start winning games against the likes of the Chiefs (whom we've lost to 11 straight times, which is unacceptable), Ravens, Steelers, etc., you can't fault those who their reservations.

                    We all want him to be successful and to win those games. And in a few weeks, we'll get our answers.

                    Comment


                    • Huh. I was looking at some media stuff about the upcoming game and ran across an article with this blurb in it:


                      Bridgewater is averaging 296.0 yards passing after two games on the road. He has four touchdowns, zero interceptions and is completing 77% of his throws. The most impressive part is he isn’t dinking and dunking, he’s letting it fly. Bridgewater is averaging 8.5 yards per pass attempt and is logging 10 intended air yards per throw, per Pro Football Reference. Both rank in the Top 8 of the NFL. He has attempted 13 passes over 20 yards in the first two weeks, the most in the NFL.


                      It was a Jets media source: https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...4uu-story.html


                      Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

                      Comment


                      • Kurt Warner actually did a nice video on his YT channel yesterday on Teddy...Kurt doesn't dole out accolades when they're not warranted, so it says something that he has been generally impressed with Teddy. In the video KW runs through a bunch of plays to show what Teddy's doing particularly well in order to help us win games...worth a watch.
                         

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by baldingeagle View Post
                          Kurt Warner actually did a nice video on his YT channel yesterday on Teddy...Kurt doesn't dole out accolades when they're not warranted, so it says something that he has been generally impressed with Teddy. In the video KW runs through a bunch of plays to show what Teddy's doing particularly well in order to help us win games...worth a watch.
                          Great video! Thanks for posting.
                          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by sra84 View Post

                            I don't think it's that some don't like Teddy. He's a likeable guy and I know we all want him to be successful. I think it's that some are getting carried away and kind of over rating him based on two solid performances against bad Giants and Jaguars teams. His career has been average at best so far. So, forgive those who aren't buying the hype just yet.

                            The fact that he's probably the best QB we've had since Manning isn't saying a lot, considering what who we've had.

                            The point is we've been down the road of stop gap quarterbacks for years, because we've been just as poor at drafting and developing quarterbacks, and it hasn't worked. So, until he plays well against better teams and we start winning games against the likes of the Chiefs (whom we've lost to 11 straight times, which is unacceptable), Ravens, Steelers, etc., you can't fault those who their reservations.

                            We all want him to be successful and to win those games. And in a few weeks, we'll get our answers.
                            Offcause people are pleased and hopeful that TeddyB is OUR real deal. Talking about "solid performances against bad Giants and Jaguars teams" is very backhanded. We play the teams we play and TeddyB has done stellar (not solid). I don't think anyone had Teddy as our dream QB but exactly as the stretches we have had with Griese, Plummer, Cutler, Orton, Tebow, Osweiler, Siemian, Lock.... we support TeddyB because this far he has been great and for now there are no indications that it will end, though the likelihood that it will is great. Since 18 retired we have been hoping for a top 10 QB and if we are fair that is about what Teddy is right now. Would ex. Sam Darnold have been a better pickup - who knows. For now Teddy deserves our hopes, cheers and that we focus our orange colored glasses on the "sure" thing that Teddy will win us our 4th SB trophy.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Hadez View Post

                              100% agreed

                              We are two weeks in so yea we got a while to go before final evaluations can be made but I think the Teddy deal is already worth it. I was hoping for a "better vet" qb to come in here but I am now realizing that Teddy is the kind of vet a young QB needs.

                              Even if we decide to go another way with a young QB I think we may want to seriously consider keeping Teddy here to help teach the new kid.

                              Playing QB is hard. Teddy may have other issues that stops him from being a "franchise QB" but it looks to me like he has figured out how to play QB in the NFL.
                              It’s not about not liking how Teddy is going right now. I’m mostly being critical that this is for sure a one and done for him without any plan beyond that and hence bad management at the position. I think it is unrealistic to think that a) he stays as a backup after this year and b) he stays for anything less than a multi year hefty contract in the competitive market that is quarterback free agency.

                              So great, we’ll maybe make the playoffs with an early departure there. We’ll draft in the late first round and we’ll be right back to the bottom of the last few years again.

                              And ask of this is assuming Teddy rocks the rest of the year. It’s actually more likely statically that he will regress to the mean of his previous performance. After all, we had these same conversations about Trevor Siemien:

                              https://www.google.com/amp/s/denverf...future-qb/amp/

                              and by the end of that season was more like:

                              Mark Schlereth, “that’s the kind of throw that makes you wonder if Trevor Siemian is even right handed.”

                              I can’t tell if I’m laughing or crying.
                              To permit irresponsible authority is to sell disaster. (Heinlein)...like Broncos season tickets!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Humberg View Post
                                Mark Schlereth, “that’s the kind of throw that makes you wonder if Trevor Siemian is even right handed.”

                                I can’t tell if I’m laughing or crying.
                                That is pretty freaking hilarious though.
                                Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X