Teddy Bridgewater Named Starting QB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zanataki View Post
    My biggest grip with Bridgewater is I have not seen one play he has audibled out of or changed the protection. That's my biggest gripe. Other than that so far so good. I want to see what he does against elite defenses and if he can keep it up. He was passed on by teams for a reason.
    I'm with you on this one. He makes pretty quick reads and usually does a good job of making the right reads, but I can't recall any audibles. It's impossible to guess the defense every play, so you're going to have to flip some plays or adjust some things pre snap. With our offense line the way that's it's been, Teddy's going to have to make some calls at the line to keep himself clean.

Comment

• Originally posted by champ&dreallday View Post

I'm with you on this one. He makes pretty quick reads and usually does a good job of making the right reads, but I can't recall any audibles. It's impossible to guess the defense every play, so you're going to have to flip some plays or adjust some things pre snap. With our offense line the way that's it's been, Teddy's going to have to make some calls at the line to keep himself clean.
      He makes audibles through his hand signals. He gave the most obvious audible to a go route I’ve ever seen just last week where he reached his hand back and pantomimed shooting a gun in the air.

Comment

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

He makes audibles through his hand signals. He gave the most obvious audible to a go route I’ve ever seen just last week where he reached his hand back and pantomimed shooting a gun in the air.
        I missed that one, that is pretty funny. I'm talking more in terms of changing into a new play or moving receivers. The slot WR going from left to right and the fake mountain sweep behind the LOS is pointless, no one ever bites on it.
        Last edited by champ&dreallday; 10-06-2021, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by champ&dreallday View Post

I missed that one, that is pretty funny. I'm talking more in terms of changing into a new play or moving receivers. The slot WR going from left to right and the fake mountain sweep behind the LOS is pointless, no one ever bites on it.
          I agree it’s pointless as of right now. Shurmur has yet to show any other action off of it. Shurmur looked like he had turned a corner in the first 3 games because there were plays that we normally run but he’d also throw in plays that work well off of those concepts. That was nonexistent in Baltimore. How much of that was the new faces in the lineup remains to be seen but it seemed like his major adjustment was to shorten his staple plays.

And then when Lock came in it was pretty much a done deal. I think Bridgewater finishing that game would’ve made for an exciting finish. The numbers didn’t look great but he moved the ball before we would shoot ourselves in the foot with a penalty, a dropped pass, or forgetting to give Massie some help against a 4.3 40 edge rusher.

Comment

• Originally posted by Humberg View Post

It’s not about not liking how Teddy is going right now. I’m mostly being critical that this is for sure a one and done for him without any plan beyond that and hence bad management at the position. I think it is unrealistic to think that a) he stays as a backup after this year and b) he stays for anything less than a multi year hefty contract in the competitive market that is quarterback free agency.

So great, we’ll maybe make the playoffs with an early departure there. We’ll draft in the late first round and we’ll be right back to the bottom of the last few years again.

And ask of this is assuming Teddy rocks the rest of the year. It’s actually more likely statically that he will regress to the mean of his previous performance. After all, we had these same conversations about Trevor Siemien:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/denverf...future-qb/amp/

and by the end of that season was more like:

Mark Schlereth, “that’s the kind of throw that makes you wonder if Trevor Siemian is even right handed.”

I can’t tell if I’m laughing or crying.
            I wish I wasn’t right. I really do. I wish the Kool-aide drinkers could have their way. But it was a pipe dream.

Well, and so it happens. Just like every year, people thought Teddy was going to be this gem found for a sixth round draft pick. That’s just not who he is. He’s a journeyman quarterback who might get you 8-9 wins on a good year. Long story short, he’s not our starting quarterback in 2022, neither is Drew. Where does that leave us?

Floundering at the most important position in all of football once again with no clarity for the foreseeable future. Horrible team management. Let’s clean house starting with the front office.
            To permit irresponsible authority is to sell disaster. (Heinlein)...like Broncos season tickets!

Comment

I wish I wasn’t right. I really do. I wish the Kool-aide drinkers could have their way. But it was a pipe dream.

Well, and so it happens. Just like every year, people thought Teddy was going to be this gem found for a sixth round draft pick. That’s just not who he is. He’s a journeyman quarterback who might get you 8-9 wins on a good year. Long story short, he’s not our starting quarterback in 2022, neither is Drew. Where does that leave us?

Floundering at the most important position in all of football once again with no clarity for the foreseeable future. Horrible team management. Let’s clean house starting with the front office.
              Totally Agree. Spot On !!

Comment

• Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post

Totally Agree. Spot On !!
                I agree with that too
                Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

• It really does not matter who the QB is with this awful offensive coaching.

Hiring Shurmur is the biggest mistake since we hired McD without also getting a strong GM
                  Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                    It really does not matter who the QB is with this awful offensive coaching.

Hiring Shurmur is the biggest mistake since we hired McD without also getting a strong GM
                    Well, it matters. It may also be true that the coaching is a dumpster fire, so double trouble, and both need to be fixed, but at some point Denver is going to have to secure starting NFL quarterback level talent. I agree about Shurmer. But even a great coach can’t make chicken soup with chicken poop.
                    To permit irresponsible authority is to sell disaster. (Heinlein)...like Broncos season tickets!

Comment

Well, it matters. It may also be true that the coaching is a dumpster fire, so double trouble, and both need to be fixed, but at some point Denver is going to have to secure starting NFL quarterback level talent. I agree about Shurmer. But even a great coach can’t make chicken soup with chicken poop.
                      The QB people want are rare. There are probably less than 10 of the in existence. Even less QBs who play like that week to week the whole season and playoffs. A team needs to figure out how to win without one of those few QBs because not everyone gets that lucky,

A great coach would realize Teddy is a career losing QB when passing 32+ times a game (I do not think the person took into account sacks). 31 passing attempts and under he is 31 wins and 11 losses. Coaching would want guys like Mahomes and PM to throw 35+ times a game because they are good at it.

Any coach asking Teddy to pass 32+ times a game is forcing Teddy into his offense instead of building an offense around Teddy's skillsets and that by my definition is a bad NFL coach who needs to be replaced.

Lock was successful in his rookie season playing a lot of short passes and honestly being more of a game manager. Shurmur comes to town and all the sudden Lock is Mr Deep Pass guy.

Guys like Rodgers and Brady can overcome bad coaching. Most of the rest of the Qbs in the NFL have their success and failure greatly determined by the coaching.
                      Last edited by Hadez; 10-13-2021, 06:30 PM.
                      Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

It was a pipe dream to think that Teddy was going to be a world beater. NO argument from me there. That said what we are seeing is bad play calling, poor team building and no offensive identity. The latter largely being a result of the first two. I do think that with better designed plays and a FO who brings in players who fit both the offensive and defensive identities we are aiming for that we'd see better results.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post

The QB people want are rare. There are probably less than 10 of the in existence. Even less QBs who play like that week to week the whole season and playoffs. A team needs to figure out how to win without one of those few QBs because not everyone gets that lucky,

A great coach would realize Teddy is a career losing QB when passing 32+ times a game (I do not think the person took into account sacks). 31 passing attempts and under he is 31 wins and 11 losses. Coaching would want guys like Mahomes and PM to throw 35+ times a game because they are good at it.

Any coach asking Teddy to pass 32+ times a game is forcing Teddy into his offense instead of building an offense around Teddy's skillsets and that by my definition is a bad NFL coach who needs to be replaced.

Lock was successful in his rookie season playing a lot of short passes and honestly being more of a game manager. Shurmur comes to town and all the sudden Lock is Mr Deep Pass guy.

Guys like Rodgers and Brady can overcome bad coaching. Most of the rest of the Qbs in the NFL have their success and failure greatly determined by the coaching.
                          I disagree. Lock was one of the worst QBs in the league last year. The year before Keenum was also in the lower tiers. Siemien same. And Lynch was…. well difficult to even describe.

The first three games this year were against very poor quality teams. If you look at the last two games Teddy ranks in the lower quartile of quarterbacks for those weeks with a handful of rookies on the list below him.

You are wrongly interpreting our desire for legit starting quarterback play as desire to get an elite quarterback. What we are asking for is not that rare. In fact, last year there were 31 teams who had a better situation at quarterback than us. In fact, we are the rarity. In fact it’s actually rare to be as bad at managing the quarterback position as the Broncos have been. If it was as common to be in our situation as you suggest, it wouldn’t be a passing league. We are the (nightmare) unicorn.

And while you make a very eloquent and cogent argument regarding the coaching that I will applaud, it’s absolutely necessary to address the quarterback situation as well, the most important position in all of football, if we want to be a winning football team.

Comment

I disagree. Lock was one of the worst QBs in the league last year. The year before Keenum was also in the lower tiers. Siemien same. And Lynch was…. well difficult to even describe.

The first three games this year were against very poor quality teams. If you look at the last two games Teddy ranks in the lower quartile of quarterbacks for those weeks with a handful of rookies on the list below him.

You are wrongly interpreting our desire for legit starting quarterback play as desire to get an elite quarterback. What we are asking for is not that rare. In fact, last year there were 31 teams who had a better situation at quarterback than us. In fact, we are the rarity. In fact it’s actually rare to be as bad at managing the quarterback position as the Broncos have been. If it was as common to be in our situation as you suggest, it wouldn’t be a passing league. We are the (nightmare) unicorn.

And while you make a very eloquent and cogent argument regarding the coaching that I will applaud, it’s absolutely necessary to address the quarterback situation as well, the most important position in all of football, if we want to be a winning football team.
                            This is the way.

I haven’t been here as long as some. However, there is a vibe that this team is just coming off the SB50 championship. There is constant justification for why the organization is right for not going after a high 1st round quarterback, or taking risk on guys available (Fields and Jones). Year after year fans backed Elway as the franchise was driven into irrelevance. The poor drafts and free agent signings were supported because “Elway”.

If Bridgewater somehow defies the odds and gets this team to the playoffs, great. How long will this half-way approach of bringing in mid-career journeyman backups continue? At what point does the organization finally admit the approach isn’t working? 6-10 straight losing seasons? Is that what it takes to change course? Let’s hope not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post

This is the way.

I haven’t been here as long as some. However, there is a vibe that this team is just coming off the SB50 championship. There is constant justification for why the organization is right for not going after a high 1st round quarterback, or taking risk on guys available (Fields and Jones). Year after year fans backed Elway as the franchise was driven into irrelevance. The poor drafts and free agent signings were supported because “Elway”.

If Bridgewater somehow defies the odds and gets this team to the playoffs, great. How long will this half-way approach of bringing in mid-career journeyman backups continue? At what point does the organization finally admit the approach isn’t working? 6-10 straight losing seasons? Is that what it takes to change course? Let’s hope not.
                              I think the worst thing that could happen is Bridgewater somehow pushes this team into the playoffs. Kills draft positioning and emboldens the front office and coaches to think it could keep working.
                              sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rich_C View Post

It was a pipe dream to think that Teddy was going to be a world beater. NO argument from me there. That said what we are seeing is bad play calling, poor team building and no offensive identity. The latter largely being a result of the first two. I do think that with better designed plays and a FO who brings in players who fit both the offensive and defensive identities we are aiming for that we'd see better results.
                                while the play calling is indeed atrocious, the QB cant convert on 3rd and 5+. I think that's why he abandons the run so fast. He knows the QB cant score or keep the offense on the field, so he's situationally panicking and forcing the issue.

sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Working...
                                X