OT: I Still Have Elway>Brady All Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BroncoBrennan89 View Post
    The cheating is what I can't get past with Brady. If it weren't for Spygate & Deflategate I'd have him #1.

But sportsmanship matters to me.

How legit was that first SB win over the Rams? I continue to wonder.

Does the quarterback keep his ball after the defense comes on the field? Or do both quarterback play with the same ball?

Comment

Originally posted by MrMax View Post

Does the quarterback keep his ball after the defense comes on the field? Or do both quarterback play with the same ball?
      Pretty sure they switch to the appropriate team’s footballs or at least try to. That seems to be why the teams provide the balls instead of the NFL.
      My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
      You Mad Bro?
      Don’t Be A Mean Girl
      Hell No!!! To the Texans Quarterback!!!

Comment

It will always be subjective in deciding who is best in most sports and especially football.

We don’t get mad at football players for testing positive for PEDs. We get mad at baseball players because the stats matter in baseball.

Elway>Brady
        My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
        You Mad Bro?
        Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by flosstein View Post
          Elway will always be #1 in my heart. But Tom Brady is number one by far 2-5 can be interchangeable.
          This is my lifetime list-------
          1. Brady (There's not a better leader of men and QB that has ever played this game. 22 years of absolute dominance)

2. Montana - Displayed some of the best QB play I have ever seen in my life.

3. Elway - Easily the best arm and physical talent at QB i've ever seen. Took some overachieving teams to the SB and blazed a path that only a few have matched since.

4. Bradshaw (Sam brought this point up a few years ago and has been saying it to anyone that would listen. It sparked me to go back and reflect on him and how go of a QB he really was. The Steel Curtain gets all the glory, but Bradshaw was an absolutely great QB.)

4. Manning - an absolutely iconic tactician. If Rochambeau were an NFL QB, he's be Peyton Manning

5. Rodgers (If he can get that elusive 2nd 'chip. He would easily move up a spot. Elway may very well be the only QB on my list that could top his arm talent and athleticism.)
          I have had some discussion about Bradshaw already, but I would not take too much away from The Steel Curtain or Swann or Stallworth, or Franco Harris supported by Rocky Bleier, or Webster and that powerful Oline....or the coaching. Did you see them play back then, because if you did, that D was outright scary most every game I saw. And the players on O that stood out to me each game were the receivers and Harris. Bradshaw was part of the package, and yes, really good in the playoffs, but it was the entire bunch that made them so good....yes, led by one of the most ferocious Ds in history.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post

I have had some discussion about Bradshaw already, but I would not take too much away from The Steel Curtain or Swann or Stallworth, or Franco Harris supported by Rocky Bleier, or Webster and that powerful Oline....or the coaching. Did you see them play back then, because if you did, that D was outright scary most every game I saw. And the players on O that stood out to me each game were the receivers and Harris. Bradshaw was part of the package, and yes, really good in the playoffs, but it was the entire bunch that made them so good....yes, led by one of the most ferocious Ds in history.
            To add, the Steelers of that era had 5 D and 4 O Hall of Famers, other than Bradshaw, plus the coach, and supported by an outstanding organization, including 3 HoF management that were involved in those years. Not sure if anyone can name another team with that many HoFamers from one era.

Comment

To add, the Steelers of that era had 5 D and 4 O Hall of Famers, other than Bradshaw, plus the coach, and supported by an outstanding organization, including 3 HoF management that were involved in those years. Not sure if anyone can name another team with that many HoFamers from one era.
              The Cowboys of that era are probably the only team close. And I agree, I wasn't taking anything away from them. But he was a larger piece of the puzzle than often given credit for. He took an absolute beating throughout the season and would just keep hanging there.

#swapping

Comment

The Cowboys of that era are probably the only team close. And I agree, I wasn't taking anything away from them. But he was a larger piece of the puzzle than often given credit for. He took an absolute beating throughout the season and would just keep hanging there.
                Yes he was tough. I just think his seasonal stats, along with his HoF mates/coach/organization, suggest he was fortunate to play on that team, under that coach, under that management.

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post

Pretty sure they switch to the appropriate team’s footballs or at least try to. That seems to be why the teams provide the balls instead of the NFL.
                  Even if that is correct what about when the Patriots fumbled the ball or there was an interception if there was that much of a difference in the feel of the ball wuldnt the other team notice. If there was anything to inflate gate deflategate I would think that would help the receivers more than it would Brady less air in the football would go less Distance and slower.

Seems to me I remember something that Bradshaw said about or to Elway after he was an announcer, that was not very flattering about Elway. Does anybody else remember what he had said.
                  it's hard to imagine why so many people are putting Brad
                  shaw down because he had a lot of other good players on his team. They must have liked and respected him a lot otherwise they wouldn't have played so well or would they have stayed with the Steelers for their whole career.
                  I will admit I was born in Pittsburgh even though I was living in Florida during Bradshaw's Dynasty days
                  Last edited by MrMax; 09-11-2021, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Even if that is correct what about when the Patriots fumbled the ball or there was an interception if there was that much of a difference in the feel of the ball wuldnt the other team notice. If there was anything to inflate gate deflategate I would think that would help the receivers more than it would Brady less air in the football would go less Distance and slower.

Seems to me I remember something that Bradshaw said about or to Elway after he was an announcer, that was not very flattering about Elway. Does anybody else remember what he had said.
                    shaw down because he had a lot of other good players on his team. They must have liked and respected him a lot otherwise they wouldn't have played so well or would they have stayed with the Steelers for their whole career.
                    I will admit I was born in Pittsburgh even though I was living in Florida during Bradshaw's Dynasty days
                    Yes the other team would notice. It was the Colts that reported it.
                    Last edited by broncolee; 09-11-2021, 07:47 PM.
                    You Mad Bro?
                    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

I don’t know what bradshaw said there but he said in the build - up to super bowl 24 broncos vs 49ers ‘ i see it as a no - mas situation , it could be 55 - 3 by halftime ‘.

Cris collinsworth said in the bucs cowboys game that brady in his whole career had never started a game where his team wasnt in contention for the super bowl , brady never played on a team as poor as the broncos in super bowl 24 and this probably wont be popular here but i dont think elway played on a team as good as these tampa bay bucs.

Comment

Originally posted by dbfansincefeb87 View Post

I don’t know what bradshaw said there but he said in the build - up to super bowl 24 broncos vs 49ers ‘ i see it as a no - mas situation , it could be 55 - 3 by halftime ‘.

Interesting! What was the score?

On edit I see it was 55 to 10 . Halftime score? Obviously Bradshaw was not just a good quarterback
                        Last edited by MrMax; 09-11-2021, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Yes he was tough. I just think his seasonal stats, along with his HoF mates/coach/organization, suggest he was fortunate to play on that team, under that coach, under that management.
                          But couldn't you make that case for pretty much every QB in the HOF? How many can you really say, "wow if he were just on a better team......." Would Elway have been as great if he played for the Colts? We like to believe so, but who knows. Look at the 2004 draft QB's. If Eli stays with SD and the Giants take Big Ben and Phyllis to the Steelers. The right team is so important.
                          #swapping

Comment

and I believe he beat those Cowboys teams twice in the Superbowls winning MVP once in 1979 with a QB rating of 119 throwing 4 TDs
                            sigpic

Comment

couldn't the same thing be said for the packers teams? they have like 10 HoFers from the 60's
                              sigpic

Comment

But couldn't you make that case for pretty much every QB in the HOF? How many can you really say, "wow if he were just on a better team......." Would Elway have been as great if he played for the Colts? We like to believe so, but who knows. Look at the 2004 draft QB's. If Eli stays with SD and the Giants take Big Ben and Phyllis to the Steelers. The right team is so important.
                                I think you make a valid point, but again, when it was mentioned that The Steel Curtain got the glory, I believe they were a huge reason for the success of that team.....along with a group of big names. To this day, many folks remember the names......Lynn Swann, Franco Harris, John Stallworth, even Mike Webster. And the names of that D - Mean Joe Greene (and that ferocious group of lineman), Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, Donnie Shell and Mel Blount. Then there's The Rooneys and Chuck Noll.

QBs did not have the stats they do today, for various reasons, but again Bradshaw's regular season stats were not exceptional, in any era. 51.9% completion, 212 TDs/210 pics, and a rate of 70.9.

So with that in mind, yes, I believe some other players would have rocked it in Pittsburgh, and players that may not have been pro bowlers.

I look at simple stats, though I recall watching them all play:

Montana - rate - 92.3, comp % - 63.2, tds/int - 273/139

Marino - rate - 86.4, comp % - 59.4, tds/int - 420/252

Yes, both played after Bradshaw.....but not too long after.

Staubach - rate - 83.4, com % - 57.0, tds/int - 153/109

Same era.

Not saying these stats are all encompassing, but when you add in The Steel Curtain and the offensive weapons on that team, it was not exactly a stretch to win games.

I used players in and just after his era. Now when you throw in the obvious - Elway, Brady, Rodgers, and others from various eras....well, lets just say Bradshaw's post season play was key to his HoF success. And not quite the same conversation, but that's how Eli gets the acclaim he does, and definitely not for his regular season production.

Comment

Working...
                                X